What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who are your SOTD this year? (1 Viewer)

whodeywhodey

Footballguy
QB: Haselbeck, Schaub

RB: Maurice Morris (yes, THAT Maurice Morris), Parker

WR: SMoss, Berrian

TE: Miller

I love Maurice Morris this year in round 10 or later. I think that JJ will be up to his old ways and that Morris will get more carries than JJ. Holmgren has stated that he will go with the "hot hand" and I think that will be MoMo.

Donovan McNabb: He could easily challenge for #1 fantasy QB. Being drafted in the QB9 area, round 5, is way too late.

Donovan McNabb: He could easily challenge for #1 fantasy QB. Being drafted in the QB9 area, round 5, is way too late.
:lmao:
I agree. He's one guy that I am staying away from this year simply because you have to handcuff him because he is an injury risk every year (or at least he has been the last 5 years).
You'd rather spend a 3rd rounder on a QB, when you can get a guy who, when healthy, is just as productive(possibly more) in the 5th or 6th round, because you have to take a backup QB in the 9th round instead of the 11th or so? I don't get the logic here.My top values:QB Vince Young, he's a great QB2 to target and he may produce low end QB1 numbers if the new offense takes hold.RB: Laurence Maroney, I feel obligated to mention him, since I might be his biggest supporter. He's going to better this year, how much is up for debate, but he'll be better for sure and he wasn't as bad as many think last year. He's a steal in the 4th round, and I've seen him fall to the 5th in some drafts.WR: Brandon Marshall, don't let the suspension affect you, this guy has top-10 WR potential even if he only plays 13 games. For the record I think he's the best WR from the class of 06'.TE: Ben Watson, he's not consistent, but he has lots of upside and is one of only a few TE's who have a realistic shot at about 8 TD catches. Not bad for a guy you can get after round 12.

QB - Jake Delhomme. If he stays healthy, I think he can put up potential top 10 numbers and be used as a #1 QB this season.

RB - My sleeper was Thomas Jones, but now that Favre is in town his value will not go unnoticed. I liked the changes they made to the offensive line, but now w/ Favre everyone will be eyeing the Jets offensive players more than they were.

WR - Chris Chambers - This guy has never really lived up to his talent, but I think he'll put up decent numbers this year with a full season of Rivers under center.

TE - John Carlson - Even though he is a rookie, I don't trust the Seahawks WR corps. I think Hass will lean heavily on the his rookie TE.

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused:
I agree. He's one guy that I am staying away from this year simply because you have to handcuff him because he is an injury risk every year (or at least he has been the last 5 years).
You'd rather spend a 3rd rounder on a QB, when you can get a guy who, when healthy, is just as productive(possibly more) in the 5th or 6th round, because you have to take a backup QB in the 9th round instead of the 11th or so? I don't get the logic here.My top values:QB Vince Young, he's a great QB2 to target and he may produce low end QB1 numbers if the new offense takes hold.RB: Laurence Maroney, I feel obligated to mention him, since I might be his biggest supporter. He's going to better this year, how much is up for debate, but he'll be better for sure and he wasn't as bad as many think last year. He's a steal in the 4th round, and I've seen him fall to the 5th in some drafts.WR: Brandon Marshall, don't let the suspension affect you, this guy has top-10 WR potential even if he only plays 13 games. For the record I think he's the best WR from the class of 06'.TE: Ben Watson, he's not consistent, but he has lots of upside and is one of only a few TE's who have a realistic shot at about 8 TD catches. Not bad for a guy you can get after round 12.
McNabb is not in a handcuff situation, you will need solid #2. McNabb's last 16 game season was in 2003. This is a trend and it makes him injury prone.Te - A. Crumpler

:unsure:
It can not be understated how much of a :confused: this is. McNoodle is garbage and it's getting old seeing him in the Top 10 QB's. I wouldn't waste a pick at his ADP (Round 7?) on him. Hell I wouldn't take him before Round 10.Another avoid is Julius Jones. He'll have people talking in Seattle by year's end how tough of a runner Alexander was in 2007.

:no:
It can not be understated how much of a :cry: this is. McNoodle is garbage and it's getting old seeing him in the Top 10 QB's. I wouldn't waste a pick at his ADP (Round 7?) on him. Hell I wouldn't take him before Round 10.Another avoid is Julius Jones. He'll have people talking in Seattle by year's end how tough of a runner Alexander was in 2007.
See my first post. I think JJ will be relegated to backup by week 1. Morris from what I have been reading has done all the right things and has looked like the best player in training camp. I'm targeting Morris in the 10-12 round range. I think as we move closer to the season the buzz on the Seattle situation will grow and the JJ owner will be forced to handcuff before the 10th round. So if you can get him in round 10-12 (or later) now, I think he is the ideal guy that could crush his ADP.

Roddy white - Had over 1,200 yards last season despite having mediocre qbs throwing to him, yet his adp is 6:3

:shrug:
You'd rather spend a 3rd rounder on a QB, when you can get a guy who, when healthy, is just as productive(possibly more) in the 5th or 6th round, because you have to take a backup QB in the 9th round instead of the 11th or so? I don't get the logic here.
In a start 1QB league, why take a QB in round 3 or round 5/6 at all? Any QB you take that early will have to perform at a 27-30TD level to justify that draft pick to compensate for your lack of RB/WR depth. If you draft a QB in round 7/8+ then the Qb can actually reasonably outperform his draft position with a top10 season. Grab 2 QBs sometime in rounds 8-11 and one should blow up for a 25+ TD season.FYI, the Eagles have the easiest adjusted QB SOS for the season (+16.0), so the 32 year old McNabb may not be such a bad play if there's value in picking him in Round __ .As for a value play, i like McGahee as an early RB2 (round 2) and lock up Ray Rice in round 9 to 11. Baltimore RB should be good RB2 production.

RB: Willie Parker
No kidding ...going at 4.07 please stay there ...now with the wholesome goodness of goal line carries.
Since when is FWP getting goal line carries??
No kidding ...going at 4.07 please stay there ...now with the wholesome goodness of goal line carries.
Where did you hear this? He was terrible at the GL last year and they drafted Mendehall. :confused:
Binky is getting a bit carried away. Supposedly the steelers are giving him a chance to work the goalline but IMO it's like whenever a team says, " there is an open competition at qb". It may be a nice pr move and makes some players happy but you know they really want and expect a certain guy to win the job.

Where did you hear this? He was terrible at the GL last year and they drafted Mendehall. :confused:
FWIWhttp://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...north080908.htm

I don't have the numbers on his goal line carries last year. I understand it was not so much failures at the goal line but almost a total lack of opportunities - here is what I get from data dominator from the 3 yd line and in for 2007.

1 Willie Parker rb 2007 3 attempts - 1 score

2 Najeh Davenport rb 2007 9 attempts - 3 scores

Man - only 12 total rushing attempts from inside the three??? Doesn't sound right ...I knew they abandoned the goal line rush and went pass - but I had no clue it was that severe.

I agree with Willie Parker. Yes, they drafted Mendenhall, but that (and a lack of TDs last year due to variance) is the only thing keeping him down. He's been pushed down way too far for someone who is consistently racking up huge yardage totals and is fairly young.

You want this year's Fred Taylor? How about someone younger, better (IMO) and with an unproven backup, rather than MJD?

I love FWP this year.

In a start 1QB league, why take a QB in round 3 or round 5/6 at all? Any QB you take that early will have to perform at a 27-30TD level to justify that draft pick to compensate for your lack of RB/WR depth. If you draft a QB in round 7/8+ then the Qb can actually reasonably outperform his draft position with a top10 season. Grab 2 QBs sometime in rounds 8-11 and one should blow up for a 25+ TD season.FYI, the Eagles have the easiest adjusted QB SOS for the season (+16.0), so the 32 year old McNabb may not be such a bad play if there's value in picking him in Round __ .
I'm trying to see if there is anything in here I actually agree with. Let me think on it . . .

In a start 1QB league, why take a QB in round 3 or round 5/6 at all? Any QB you take that early will have to perform at a 27-30TD level to justify that draft pick to compensate for your lack of RB/WR depth. If you draft a QB in round 7/8+ then the Qb can actually reasonably outperform his draft position with a top10 season. Grab 2 QBs sometime in rounds 8-11 and one should blow up for a 25+ TD season.FYI, the Eagles have the easiest adjusted QB SOS for the season (+16.0), so the 32 year old McNabb may not be such a bad play if there's value in picking him in Round __ .
I'm trying to see if there is anything in here I actually agree with. Let me think on it . . .
I assume that you are not a proponent of the QBBC?

If we are going to go that path, why not RB2BC, WR3BC, or TEBC?I believe you can get bottom tier QB1 production from a QBBC, but that value wise pales in comparison from the production of an elite QB. I think you stand a better chance of getting lucky and having a mid round QB having a career year and MAYBE getting that same bottom tier QB1 production on his own. But you also run the risk of leaving the highest QB scorer on the bench each week in using the wrong player in the committee.

Sure, if its a combo like Kitna/Delhomme or the equivalent of 2 middle/late round picks. McNoodle gets drafted too high to waste another middle pick on a second QB.

If we are going to go that path, why not RB2BC, WR3BC, or TEBC?I believe you can get bottom tier QB1 production from a QBBC, but that value wise pales in comparison from the production of an elite QB. I think you stand a better chance of getting lucky and having a mid round QB having a career year and MAYBE getting that same bottom tier QB1 production on his own. But you also run the risk of leaving the highest QB scorer on the bench each week in using the wrong player in the committee.
If I decide to use QBBC, I will essentially be using RB2BC and WR2BC (only start two WR). Essentially by waiting on the QB until round 7, you draft 6 players(my thinking is three RB and 3 WR in those first six picks. Because of the quality of the players that I am getting as my 3 RB and 3 WR, those may verywell become players that can be used based on match-ups. I've had success with waiting on QB. I'm not complete sold on QBBC because I agree that it'spossible to find one in the 7th or 8th round who will produce top 6 numbers. Getting two of those QB gives you two shots to have that happen. If it doesn'thappen, then play the match-ups. Last year I got Roethlisberger and the committee wasn't necessary. This year I will do the same. My targets are D.Garrard and J. Delhomme. We'll see if it works out.

I got (traded up to the pick) Reggie Bush at 3.9 in a PPR league. I'm not sure if this is common of what's going on out there but it seems he is being grossly undervalued in a PPR league.

This year I will do the same. My targets are D. Garrard and J. Delhomme. We'll see if it works out.
Should be interesting, as I am down on BOTH of those guys.
Then I hope that you're wrong and that some of the others on this site are right. Garrard is the consensus #12 QB and Delhomme is the concensus #13 QB andtheir schedules seem to work together fairly well if neither one takes off to top 6 status. :thumbup:

QB: Cutler, Campbell

RB: Rudi, Young

WR: Crayton, Curtis (if McNabb will be better, this guy will be catching the ball a lot of the time)

TE: Crumpler, McMichael

This year I will do the same. My targets are D. Garrard and J. Delhomme. We'll see if it works out.
Then I hope that you're wrong and that some of the others on this site are right. Garrard is the consensus #12 QB and Delhomme is the concensus #13 QB andtheir schedules seem to work together fairly well if neither one takes off to top 6 status. :wall:
For whatever reason, Delhomme has ranked in the Top 10 once entering his 10th season in the league (this year coming off of somewhat major surgery). Garrard to me will be hard pressed to throw as many TD with so few INT, thus hurting him in the long run (and plays on one of the best running teams in the league).To be clear, I am not against your strategy (and have used it plenty of times), but I do not think that any other strategy should be summarily ruled out as being wrong or not a consideration.

:no:
I agree on Maroney. I got him at 6.02 and could not be happier. He'll complement MBIII and LJ nicely. And if he doesn't work out, I got enough WRs to flex to WR without trouble. My values:QB: Leinart.RB: Ricky Williams.WR: Ronald Curry.TE: Jeremy Shockey.DE: Green Bay.

I like Rudi Johnson this year. Word is he is in the best shape he's been in a while... hasn't had heavy workload... and offensive team. I know he has a tight hammy right now.. but keep an eye on him

Then I hope that you're wrong and that some of the others on this site are right. Garrard is the consensus #12 QB and Delhomme is the concensus #13 QB andtheir schedules seem to work together fairly well if neither one takes off to top 6 status. :no:
For whatever reason, Delhomme has ranked in the Top 10 once entering his 10th season in the league (this year coming off of somewhat major surgery). Garrard to me will be hard pressed to throw as many TD with so few INT, thus hurting him in the long run (and plays on one of the best running teams in the league).To be clear, I am not against your strategy (and have used it plenty of times), but I do not think that any other strategy should be summarily ruled out as being wrong or not a consideration.
I don't think that I have stated that any strategy is wrong. I haven't ruled out taking a QB in the first 4 rounds, but it will take a QB dropping a fair amountbelow his ADP in order for me to take one and that probably won't happen. If P. Manning falls to the third round, I'd take him or Brady falling to the earlysecond round, I'd take him, or if Palmer falls to the 5th round, I'd take him. But I'd be surprised if it did. The way that I am headed on the draft is basedon what I see as the round that these players will go in the draft and assuming that I'm anywhere close to correct on where the QB get taken, then Iwon't end up with the top 6. After you get to #7, there is almost no difference between him and #11 because every one of those QB comes with questionmarks (injury, haven't been a starter long, team in transition, etc).It's worked pretty well in the past. We'll see if it works this year. The only time that I've really had a problem is when some owner starts taking their backupQB in round 6 or 7. That can cause a problem.

I like Rudi Johnson this year. Word is he is in the best shape he's been in a while... hasn't had heavy workload... and offensive team. I know he has a tight hammy right now.. but keep an eye on him
No one carried the football more than Rudi di in 2004-2006. He had 1039 carries, more than any back in the legue in that 3 year stretch.

bad hammy already only brings up red flags for me -- not to mention it's difficult to get over sub 3.0 ypc.I'd only consider taking a teens flier on him -- so I won't end up with him.

Then I hope that you're wrong and that some of the others on this site are right. Garrard is the consensus #12 QB and Delhomme is the concensus #13 QB andtheir schedules seem to work together fairly well if neither one takes off to top 6 status. :goodposting:
I don't think that I have stated that any strategy is wrong. I haven't ruled out taking a QB in the first 4 rounds, but it will take a QB dropping a fair amountbelow his ADP in order for me to take one and that probably won't happen. If P. Manning falls to the third round, I'd take him or Brady falling to the earlysecond round, I'd take him, or if Palmer falls to the 5th round, I'd take him. But I'd be surprised if it did. The way that I am headed on the draft is basedon what I see as the round that these players will go in the draft and assuming that I'm anywhere close to correct on where the QB get taken, then Iwon't end up with the top 6. After you get to #7, there is almost no difference between him and #11 because every one of those QB comes with questionmarks (injury, haven't been a starter long, team in transition, etc).It's worked pretty well in the past. We'll see if it works this year. The only time that I've really had a problem is when some owner starts taking their backupQB in round 6 or 7. That can cause a problem.
I agree that if you are going to take a QB early, you really need a Top 5 guy or else it is not worth it. IMO, if you don't get a Top 3 guy it may not be worth it either, it just depends on how you project the QBs out and if they meet those expectations.THis year, I have confidence in Brady, Manning, Romo, and Brees. Anyone behind that seems too risk to me.Where I disagreed with what you said earlier was at the point you were suggesting teams would suffer scoring wise by taking a QB. IMO, once the true RB and WR studs have come off the board the scoring differential of those that remain many times is not huge, so getting an advantage at QB could be a huge benefit.THe other factor I have mentioned in other threads is understanding where as an individual you are good drafting talent. If you can do well going QBBC, certainly go for it. I generally am good at finding later round RB and WR but usually have no luck in later round TE for example. Over the years, QB has been a bit of a mixed back.The other factor in taking a QB early is that you can alos get some extra depth by not carrying as many QBs. I have seen people draft Brady or Manning and a backup extremely late, while some other QBBC owners took 3 mid round picks. So the Manning owner might get one or two extra mid range WR or prospects.I generally don't win leagues by who I took early. I win leagues by getting value in the mid to late rounds and combing the waiver wire. THere are obviously a lot of strategies on how to draft, so whatever works for you is not one to rule out.

David Yudkin said:
aburt19 said:
David Yudkin said:
aburt19 said:
David Yudkin said:
aburt19 said:
Then I hope that you're wrong and that some of the others on this site are right. Garrard is the consensus #12 QB and Delhomme is the concensus #13 QB andtheir schedules seem to work together fairly well if neither one takes off to top 6 status. :shrug:
I agree that if you are going to take a QB early, you really need a Top 5 guy or else it is not worth it. IMO, if you don't get a Top 3 guy it may not be worth it either, it just depends on how you project the QBs out and if they meet those expectations.THis year, I have confidence in Brady, Manning, Romo, and Brees. Anyone behind that seems too risk to me.Where I disagreed with what you said earlier was at the point you were suggesting teams would suffer scoring wise by taking a QB. IMO, once the true RB and WR studs have come off the board the scoring differential of those that remain many times is not huge, so getting an advantage at QB could be a huge benefit.I generally don't win leagues by who I took early. I win leagues by getting value in the mid to late rounds and combing the waiver wire. THere are obviously a lot of strategies on how to draft, so whatever works for you is not one to rule out.
I have looked at each of the posts I've made and don't see where I suggested that teams would suffer scoring wise by taking a QB. I just feel that theadditional depth at RB and WR with a backup at each position taken in the first six rounds is important. Both the RB and WR in the 20-24 range are questionmarks and having a quality backup can be important. I have very little luck at picking up RB later in the draft. I actually have better luck in picking upWR from the waiver wire than in the 10th round.I do agree with you that leagues are not won by the picks in the first three rounds. I think that drafts are won in rounds 4-8. That's when you pick up theremainder of your starters and are normally dealing with players that have an issue of some sort such as questions about playing time, coming back frominjury, etc. make the decisions among those players for the final starting spots on your team, whether RB, WR or QB are what wins the league.

Users who are viewing this thread