What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the #21 best basketball player of all-time? (1 Viewer)

Who is #21?

• Nikola Jokic

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Dirk Nowtzki

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Giannis Antetokounmpo

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Elgin Baylor

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Karl Malone

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • John Stockton

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Isiah Thomas

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • John Havlicek

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Dwyane Wade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please list)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Frostillicus

Footballguy
1. Michael Jordan (71%)
2. Lebron james (85%).
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (34%).
4. Wilt Chamberlain (31%).
5. Magic Johnson (33%).
6. Larry Bird (44%).
7. Bill Russell (67%).
8. Shaquille O'Neal (31%)
9. Tim Duncan (53%).
10. Hakeem Olajuwon (36%).
11. Kobe Bryant (37%).
12. Oscar Robertson (49%).
13. Stephen Curry (74%).
14. Julius Erving (37%).
15. Moses Malone (38%).
16. Kevin Durant (38%).
17. David Robinson (41%).
18. Jerry West (37%)
19. Charles Barkley (42%).
20. Kevin Garnett (27%).
21. ????????????

Went with Malone as his overall stats are just too good. In a few years, barring some oddity, I do anticipate Giannis and Jokic cracking the top 20.

Next choice is going to be tough. Not sure if I go Giannis/Jokic or consider Dirk and/or Baylor.

We are stopping at 25, right?

This poll is stupid. Can't believe Jason "white chocolate" Williams isn't an option yet. Did you know he threw a pass off his elbow once? And he played high school basketball with Randy Moss.
If we’re talking about players with the best highlight reels he would have been voted in a long time ago.

When looking at the entire career (on the court), then Malone is clearly the guy here.

If you are going for greatest peak, then either Giannis or Jokic as they both surpassed everyone else on this list with MVP/Championship/Finals MVP runs in recent history. Giannis' 2018-21 run and Jokic's 2020-23 run are both better 3 year stretches than almost anyone ever, much less the guys we are voting on.

I get some love for Dirk, but he doesn't match Malone's sustained greatness or the peak of Giannis/Jokic.

The rest of the guys really aren't at this level by any objective measurement.

When looking at the entire career (on the court), then Malone is clearly the guy here.

If you are going for greatest peak, then either Giannis or Jokic as they both surpassed everyone else on this list with MVP/Championship/Finals MVP runs in recent history. Giannis' 2018-21 run and Jokic's 2020-23 run are both better 3 year stretches than almost anyone ever, much less the guys we are voting on.

I get some love for Dirk, but he doesn't match Malone's sustained greatness or the peak of Giannis/Jokic.

Mostly agree, but Elgin belongs here too imo.

As great as he was I can't get past these three things when compared to the guys I mentioned above:
  1. No MVP's. At no point was he considered the best player in the league. Giannis, Jokic & Malone all have 2 MVP's against more competition.
  2. No rings. Sure he got to the Finals 8 times, but never once was able to get it done.
  3. Played against less talent in the early years of the NBA. The league had between 8 and 17 teams when he played. He even played with Jerry West his entire career and with Wilt for the last few years and still never managed to win it all. He retired in 1971after 9 games and the team went on a 33-game win streak and won the Finals without him.

As great as he was I can't get past these three things when compared to the guys I mentioned above:
  1. No MVP's. At no point was he considered the best player in the league. Giannis, Jokic & Malone all have 2 MVP's against more competition.
  2. No rings. Sure he got to the Finals 8 times, but never once was able to get it done.
  3. Played against less talent in the early years of the NBA. The league had between 8 and 17 teams when he played. He even played with Jerry West his entire career and with Wilt for the last few years and still never managed to win it all. He retired in 1971after 9 games and the team went on a 33-game win streak and won the Finals without him.
For Elgin Baylor I just can't get past the fact that every time I saw him as the GM of the Clippers I got him mixed up with Nipsey Russell as the principle in Wildcats.

Baylor also went up against (gags, pinches nose, holds breath) one of the greatest NBA dynasties ever in those finals, and was competing against guys ranked in our top 10 of all time for those MVPs.

garnett being ahead of jokic or anteater is stupid i will vote later but just came in to say thats stupid take that to the bank brohans

I haven't kept up with much past the Top 10. Maybe this was already discussed, but how many players are going to end up being ranked?

This poll is stupid. Can't believe Jason "white chocolate" Williams isn't an option yet. Did you know he threw a pass off his elbow once? And he played high school basketball with Randy Moss.
i actually loved watching that guy he was a brohan straight through and through take that to the bank
He conducted on the court like Brohan Sebastian Bach

He shot first like Brohan Solo

He was an ace starter like Brohan Santana

He matriculated the ball around the field of play like Brohan Cruijff

He told a story with his game like Brohan Wolfgang von Goethe

• Love
Reactions: SWC
Just curious if anyone knows if Luka is the only player to have been named 1st team All-NBA 4 times by age 23. Only 41 players have had 4 First-team All-NBA selections, so I am guessing the number of candidates is probably pretty small.

Just curious if anyone knows if Luka is the only player to have been named 1st team All-NBA 4 times by age 23. Only 41 players have had 4 First-team All-NBA selections, so I am guessing the number of candidates is probably pretty small.
can't imagine anyone else has done that. Probably hard to find anyone that made 4 all-NBA teams (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) by age 23

LeBron had 4 all-nba by age 23, but 2 of them were second team.

LeBron had 4 all-nba by age 23, but 2 of them were second team.

Technically, Doncic was 24 by the end of the season, although BBRef does classify it as his age 23 season (age as of February 1, Doncic's Bday is February 28).

Kobe had 4 as well - one first, two seconds, one third.

Why the votes for Isiah Thomas? I assume this is a RANGZZZZZZ thing but he is the most overrated player in the history of the NBA.

Basketball Reference has a "similarity score" based on career win shares per year - his most similar players in order are Earl Monroe, Steph Marbury, DeMar DeRozan, Louis Dampier, and Steve Smith. He finished top 7 in MVP voting once and only made 5 All-NBA teams. He was probably the best player on the two title teams, but they won with defense and he was a 6' tall PG that was much more offense than defense.

I think he is deserving of the HOF and the NBA 50/75 teams, but nowhere near the 21st best player of all time.

Why the votes for Isiah Thomas? I assume this is a RANGZZZZZZ thing but he is the most overrated player in the history of the NBA.

Basketball Reference has a "similarity score" based on career win shares per year - his most similar players in order are Earl Monroe, Steph Marbury, DeMar DeRozan, Louis Dampier, and Steve Smith. He finished top 7 in MVP voting once and only made 5 All-NBA teams. He was probably the best player on the two title teams, but they won with defense and he was a 6' tall PG that was much more offense than defense.

I think he is deserving of the HOF and the NBA 50/75 teams, but nowhere near the 21st best player of all time.

I agree he isn't top 25 good, he is more like 35 to 40.

He was the best player on a team that had no business winning titles in that era. He also sacrificed a lot of personal stats for the team in most people's opinion which is why he is ranked so high. The stars will never be kind to Thomas for that reason.

If he was on some decent teams that never won his stats would be much better and he also tore his achilles which ended his career at the age of 33.

only if you are a stat accumulator fanboy type

You must have liked Curtis Martin more than Eric Dickerson, I get it.
2 MVPs over the likes of MJ, Hakeem Shaq and Duncan seems notable.

Also, 11x 1st team all-NBA and 3x 1st team all-D teams. He has stats PLUS the accolades. The only thing really missing is a championship...and well, there was that MJ guy we selected a while ago.

Also, 11x 1st team all-NBA and 3x 1st team all-D teams. He has stats PLUS the accolades. The only thing really missing is a championship...and well, there was that MJ guy we selected a while ago.

He is just bored and trolling we need to quit acknowledging it. I am including myself as well, because I have fired back a few times.

It is crazy that he received MVP votes in 15 consecutive years

Very few players in history have entered the league young enough. I looked up Moses because he was in the league young but he didn't. Kobe, KG, LeBron are probably about the only other guys of note who played 4 seasons by age 23. I'm sure I'm missing a few but I'm limiting to Hall of Fame guys.

He is just bored and trolling we need to quit acknowledging it. I am including myself as well, because I have fired back a few times.

Not trolling at all. I can't have an opinion that Karl Malone is overrated?

Is this just a groupthink exercise? If my opinions are a problem for some I can just stay out of the threads. I certainly see things very differently based on the current rankings here.

Not trolling at all. I can't have an opinion that Karl Malone is overrated?

Is this just a groupthink exercise? If my opinions are a problem for some I can just stay out of the threads. I certainly see things very differently based on the current rankings here.
HERETIC!!!! BURN THE WITCH!!!!

Very few players in history have entered the league young enough. I looked up Moses because he was in the league young but he didn't. Kobe, KG, LeBron are probably about the only other guys of note who played 4 seasons by age 23. I'm sure I'm missing a few but I'm limiting to Hall of Fame guys.
Dwight Howard, Tracy McGrady, Darryl Dawkins, Giannis

Spencer Haywood - He was one of the first I thought about because he won the MVP as a rookie and didn't go the traditional college route.

Spencer Haywood - He was one of the first I thought about because he won the MVP as a rookie and didn't go the traditional college route.
I think he started in the ABA and then sat out a year? He was like the pioneer of free agency I believe.

I think he started in the ABA and then sat out a year? He was like the pioneer of free agency I believe.
Yep - and if he hadn't, he probably would have had four All-ABA/NBA first team selections by his age 23 season. He had All-League selections in his first, third, and fourth years, but not his second because he only played 33 games due to a lawsuit with the NBA.

Users who are viewing this thread