What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who puts out / thinks up talking points? (1 Viewer)

boots11234

Footballguy
And how do they work?  Are politicians given a list daily?  I’m not pickiing on Democrat’s here but there the ones I hear the most. For example every democrarisnow saying ‘National security’ about the Ukraine issue.  Again I’m sure republicans do it too.  I’m just wondering who puts them out, how are they received and who determines them.  

anyone know?

White House, DNC, RNC, McConnell’s office, Pelosi’s office. All the usual suspects. It’s not really a secret. 

When Roger Ailes ran FoxNews, they would have a staff meeting every morning where they would discuss which Republican talking points they would be pushing that day. Ailes was connected with the upper echelon of the Republican Party, so he would consult with the party before each meeting. The management and on-air talent at Fox would agree on certain points or phrases that would be repeated verbatim on each of the network's shows, so that viewers would get a consistent and steady stream of that day's messages. If the overnight ratings went up, then the previous day's phrases would be re-inserted into the next day's shows. If the ratings stagnated, then they'd come up with a new set of talking points to try out on the loyal viewers.

The current process is similar, although nowadays Fox will get many of their talking points directly from President Trump himself. So, if Trump makes a claim on Twitter or during one of his helicopter gaggles, Fox will immediately incorporate that claim into every show on the network -- repeating Trump's exact phrasing. This is partly to show a unified message to the viewers, but also partly to capture the attention span of Trump himself (if he sees his own words being used on Fox, he's more likely to praise the network).

And how do they work?  Are politicians given a list daily?  I’m not pickiing on Democrat’s here but there the ones I hear the most. For example every democrarisnow saying ‘National security’ about the Ukraine issue.  Again I’m sure republicans do it too.  I’m just wondering who puts them out, how are they received and who determines them.  

anyone know?
Political consultants and media consultants. Billion $+ industry.

Political consultants and media consultants. Billion $+ industry.
This is what I figured.  This is really where the dough in politics is at. I guess when I think about it it’s all just messaging. The people who make up that message however must make a bunch. Anyone know what companies names are?  Wonder how you get into that business

thanks all for the replies. M

Wonder how you get into that business
I asked this one time and someone told me ‘pick a winning horse’. That is if you pick the right candidate, and they win, then you stick on their staff and now you’re in the politics industry. Of course you have to be ... er... morally flexible to stick, which is the hard part.

I asked this one time and someone told me ‘pick a winning horse’. That is if you pick the right candidate, and they win, then you stick on their staff and now you’re in the politics industry. Of course you have to be ... er... morally flexible to stick, which is the hard part.
Lol well I guess my daughter done goofed (according to most around here). She’s on airforce one right now I believe coming to MN. 

Lol well I guess my daughter done goofed (according to most around here). She’s on airforce one right now I believe coming to MN. 
Hey sorry, I didn’t catch that. Seriously congrats to your daughter, I’m sure she’s a wonderful person & highly accomplished. Keep in mind I’m in Louisiana which is sorta ‘special’ when it comes to this stuff. Best of luck to her. - SID

Last edited by a moderator:
Just want to point out that talking points and propaganda/misinformation are two different things alhtough they look very similar. 

It's one thing to have your organization have a cohesive message and even frame issues in their best possible light. What we see now is outright propaganda designed to mislead and or misdirect the public. 

When Roger Ailes ran FoxNews, they would have a staff meeting every morning where they would discuss which Republican talking points they would be pushing that day. Ailes was connected with the upper echelon of the Republican Party, so he would consult with the party before each meeting. The management and on-air talent at Fox would agree on certain points or phrases that would be repeated verbatim on each of the network's shows, so that viewers would get a consistent and steady stream of that day's messages. If the overnight ratings went up, then the previous day's phrases would be re-inserted into the next day's shows. If the ratings stagnated, then they'd come up with a new set of talking points to try out on the loyal viewers.

The current process is similar, although nowadays Fox will get many of their talking points directly from President Trump himself. So, if Trump makes a claim on Twitter or during one of his helicopter gaggles, Fox will immediately incorporate that claim into every show on the network -- repeating Trump's exact phrasing. This is partly to show a unified message to the viewers, but also partly to capture the attention span of Trump himself (if he sees his own words being used on Fox, he's more likely to praise the network).
I believe the phenomenon precedes Ailes, altho you got the dog as far as who made it the currency of conservative politics. i had a character, a local conservative radio talkshow host, using them in a piece i was writing in '96, so..... Pretty sure it started with Limbaugh, with  producers of local shows calling Limbaugh staff to get hot takes and then staff realizing the power of this and running with it, eventually coordinating with Newt Gingrich and the Heritage Foundation. I know that religious right got in on it early, too, because sermons were being coordinated on talking points in the larger evangelical churches before the 80s were out. But Ailes turned it into an art, probably the most powerful force in politics next to dough

This is good shtick.  :thumbup:
Whatever bro. I freely admit the Republicans do it to, I just couldn’t think of any when writing the post. The only reason I remembered this one is because Tucker pointed it out on his show last night. 

believe it or not I was just trying to learn something here, no agenda. Figured someone would be a ##### though. Congratulations. 

Whatever bro. I freely admit the Republicans do it to, I just couldn’t think of any when writing the post. The only reason I remembered this one is because Tucker pointed it out on his show last night. 

believe it or not I was just trying to learn something here, no agenda. Figured someone would be a ##### though. Congratulations. 
The place is only concern with activity which makes Republicans look bad.  Democrat politicians, their media coherts and talking heads all have their talking points exhanged over email for well over a decade and were in all likilihood organized long before Fox and the GOP.  The GOP has merely caught up in this tactic.    

The place is only concern with activity which makes Republicans look bad.  Democrat politicians, their media coherts and talking heads all have their talking points exhanged over email for well over a decade and were in all likilihood organized long before Fox and the GOP.  The GOP has merely caught up in this tactic.    
I disagree - sort of.

Talking points for either side is not new, nor is it terribly controversial, imo.

But, in my life time, the GOP has consistently been much better and disciplined when it comes to talking points, and staying on message.  The GOP has long understood that the simpler the message - they easier it is to understand.  Dem messaging has often been convoluted, not consistent, and really all over the place at times (trying to appeal to too many constituents).  While I have found the GOP messaging tends to be very focused, on point, and direct.

Admittedly, I think some of that is changing under Trump - because he, himself, is less disciplined.

Heritage Foundation Hall of Fame material right here - accuse the enemy of your greatest sins. 

Heritage Foundation Hall of Fame material right here - accuse the enemy of your greatest sins. 
It is kind of ironic because accusing the Republicans of using talking points is currently a very common Democratic talking point, much like Trump's fake news line is for his supporters.  

All I know is that it would work a lot better if they came up with a dozen or so phrases and spread their usage about. Having the talking heads and speech givers using the same 3-4 word phrases in orchestrated fashion really cuts into the effectiveness.

All I know is that it would work a lot better if they came up with a dozen or so phrases and spread their usage about. Having the talking heads and speech givers using the same 3-4 word phrases in orchestrated fashion really cuts into the effectiveness.
not in truthiness, my friend. saturation is the key. i bet the prisoners in Guantanamo often now catch themselves humming the putrid Western pop songs by which they were tormented during interrogation. that's what these thoughtdrones are realizing - heavy-rotation nonsense eventually legitimizes itself in the mind. then you have em, even if just for a pause that lets you slip sumn in.

Users who are viewing this thread