What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who the Heck is Tim Wright? (1 Viewer)

Very possible (if not likely) Wright wouldn't have made the Bucs. Was already 3rd on TE depth chart behind ASJ & Brandon Myers.

And Robert Herron started the 3rd preseason game in the slot.

It was a fluke. That's all. Stats by circumstance. Is he worth a flier? I suppose, but the depth at TE this year should net you better players though. If the guy was THAT good, TB would not have used him last year, see his stats, then not only draft a TE to replace him in ASJ, but trade him after his rookie year.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a fluke. That's all. Stats by circumstance. Is he worth a flier? I suppose, but the depth at TE this year should net you better players though. If the guy was THAT good, TB would not have used him last year, see his stats, then not only draft a TE to replace him in ASJ, but trade him after his rookie year.
I remember people making a similar argument with Julius Thomas at this point last year. "He can't be that good, because... "

To me Wright passes the eye test, just like Julius did. Now he's in a much better situation, too. He's got a heck of a learning curve to deal with, though.

Julius Thomas had 2 offseasons with Peyton Manning this time last year too. We all can't be right, guess we'll see how the chips fall.

Rotoworld:

Tim Wright - TE - Patriots

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport called Tim Wright the Patriots' "new [Aaron] Hernandez."

That's how we also see it. Many figured the Patriots' acquisition of Wright on Tuesday was a sign Rob Gronkowski's path back to the field was going to be halted. That couldn't be further from the truth. Wright is a former college receiver, while Gronkowski is a do-it-all in-line tight end. They're completely different players. While we need to tap the brakes on Wright becoming a top-three fantasy tight end like Hernandez, the Patriots clearly like Wright. It'll take him time to learn the offense, but he may be their future at "move" tight end. He's a back-end TE2.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

KellysHeroes said:
I think the Wright trade is more about Dobson not staying healthy than Gronk
I agree this may have something to do with the trade as well.

Wright has size that the other Patriots receivers do not, so if Dobson misses time I can see Wright filling a similar role in the offense in his absence.

Wright has been a more consistent receiver (71% catch rate) than Brandon Lafell (56.6% catch rate) who may be a better blocker than Wright is.

Dobson will supposedly play in the last preseason game to test if his foot is healthy enough now.

KellysHeroes said:
I think the Wright trade is more about Dobson not staying healthy than Gronk
I don't see it that way...prior to obtaining Wright the Pats had only Hoo-man behind Gronk...like the end of last year if Gronk were to go down than the TE position would be non-existent...they had to add a TE with pass-catching ability at some point...as for Dobson he's a real intriguing player but with Edelman, Amendola, LaFell and Thompkins (and with Tyms potentially in the bullpen after four games) the Pats have other weapons at WR...that just wasn't the case at TE...they were paper thin there...

Rotoworld:

New Patriots TE Tim Wright ran a pass route on 34 of his 43 snaps in New England's preseason finale.

He finished with four catches for 43 yards on six targets. Wright isn't an in-line tight end like Rob Gronkowski; he's a "flex" or "move" option who will compete for snaps in the old Aaron Hernandez role. The Hernandez role has diminished in Foxboro, however, with the team now utilizing more three-wide sets. Wright remains no more than a coin-flip, back-end TE2 in fantasy.

Source: Mike Reiss on Twitter

Aug 29 - 4:37 PM

I've got Kyle Rudolph and Tavis Kelce. I would have to drop Kelce for Wright, and I just don't know if I am going to do it. I really like what I've seen of Kelce this preseason.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston could see TE Tim Wright cutting into Danny Amendola's snaps.

Wright played on 21-of-86 snaps in his Patriots debut, securing all three of his targets for 15 yards. ESPN's Mike Reiss believes Amendola "doesn't look like the explosive player we saw in the 2013," and could see his role scaled back. Wright is on the TE2 radar, but is currently no higher than the No. 5 option in the pass game.

Related: Danny Amendola

Source: ESPN Boston

Sep 9 - 11:52 AM

Surprisingly quiet on the Tim Wright front considering NE's offensive woes. I picked him up in my dynasty league expecting a slow infusion into the offense at the very least and at best, an immediate insertion if Gronk bit the dust again. I'm not seeing or hearing squat on this guy. What gives? My bench space is getting a little needy.

Surprisingly quiet on the Tim Wright front considering NE's offensive woes. I picked him up in my dynasty league expecting a slow infusion into the offense at the very least and at best, an immediate insertion if Gronk bit the dust again. I'm not seeing or hearing squat on this guy. What gives? My bench space is getting a little needy.
played about a third of the game this past week

and because I'm awesome I'll chronicle the personnel packages he's been used in so far this year

12 personnel: 16 pass / 6 run

Shane Vereen, Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Timothy Wright, - 5 pass / 2 run

Shane Vereen, Kenbrell Thompkins, Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Timothy Wright - 1 pass

Stevan Ridley, Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Timothy Wright, - 1 pass / 1 run

Stevan Ridley, Kenbrell Thompkins, Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Timothy Wright - 1 pass / 1 run

Brandon Bolden, Aaron Dobson, Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Timothy Wright - 1 pass / 1 run

Shane Vereen, Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Michael Hoomanawanui, Timothy Wright, - 1 pass

Stevan Ridley, Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Michael Hoomanawanui, Timothy Wright - 2 pass

Stevan Ridley, Kenbrell Thompkins, Julian Edelman, Michael Hoomanawanui, Timothy Wright, - 2 pass / 1 run

Brandon Bolden, Aaron Dobson, Julian Edelman, Michael Hoomanawanui, Timothy Wright, - 1 pass

Brandon Bolden, Kenbrell Thompkins, Julian Edelman, Michael Hoomanawanui, Timothy Wright, - 1 pass

21 personnel: 2 pass

Shane Vereen, James Develin, Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Timothy Wright, - 1 pass

Shane Vereen, James Develin, Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, Timothy Wright - 1 pass

11 personnel: 16 pass / 3 run

Shane Vereen, Danny Amendola, Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Timothy Wright - 10pass / 1 run

Shane Vereen, Danny Amendola, Kenbrell Thompkins, Julian Edelman, Timothy Wright, - 6 pass

Shane Vereen, Aaron Dobson, Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Timothy Wright, - 2 run

4th qtr @KC w/garoppolo: 4 pass / 2 run

Jimmy Garoppolo, James White, Julian Edelman, Brandon LaFell, Danny Amendola, Timothy Wright - 3 pass / 2 run

Jimmy Garoppolo, James White, Julian Edelman, Brandon LaFell, Rob Gronkowski, Timothy Wright - 1pass

I hope that after Kendell got kick in the butt and ticket out of town, Tim can now get some more chances.

I hope that after Kendell got kick in the butt and ticket out of town, Tim can now get some more chances.
well, kembrell was already inactive in 2 of the last 3 games, I believe, he's got a chance to resurface if he clears waivers, gronk should progressively gain snaps, and tyms may take kembrell's spot on the roster next week.

so, we'll see...........

and because I'm awesome I'll chronicle the personnel packages he's been used in so far this year

Shane Vereen, Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Timothy Wright, - 5 pass / 2 run

Shane Vereen, Kenbrell Thompkins, Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Timothy Wright - 1 pass

Stevan Ridley, Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Timothy Wright, - 1 pass / 1 run

Stevan Ridley, Kenbrell Thompkins, Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Timothy Wright - 1 pass / 1 run

Brandon Bolden, Aaron Dobson, Julian Edelman, Rob Gronkowski, Timothy Wright - 1 pass / 1 run

Shane Vereen, Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Michael Hoomanawanui, Timothy Wright, - 1 pass

Stevan Ridley, Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Michael Hoomanawanui, Timothy Wright - 2 pass

Stevan Ridley, Kenbrell Thompkins, Julian Edelman, Michael Hoomanawanui, Timothy Wright, - 2 pass / 1 run

Brandon Bolden, Aaron Dobson, Julian Edelman, Michael Hoomanawanui, Timothy Wright, - 1 pass

Brandon Bolden, Kenbrell Thompkins, Julian Edelman, Michael Hoomanawanui, Timothy Wright, - 1 pass

Shane Vereen, James Develin, Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Timothy Wright, - 1 pass

Shane Vereen, James Develin, Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, Timothy Wright - 1 pass

Shane Vereen, Danny Amendola, Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Timothy Wright - 10pass / 1 run

Shane Vereen, Danny Amendola, Kenbrell Thompkins, Julian Edelman, Timothy Wright, - 6 pass

Shane Vereen, Aaron Dobson, Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Timothy Wright, - 2 run

Jimmy Garoppolo, James White, Julian Edelman, Brandon LaFell, Danny Amendola, Timothy Wright - 3 pass / 2 run

Jimmy Garoppolo, James White, Julian Edelman, Brandon LaFell, Rob Gronkowski, Timothy Wright - 1pass
Nice stuff here Larry. I really thought Wright was going to get targeted at the beginning of the season in order re-incarnate (pardon the pun) the 2 TE Hernandez package. Especially when you consider their obvious lack of a deep threat. I spent a little FA dough on him early on in my dynasty that's feeling like a waste of time and bench space. Just cut him for Garrett Graham as I feel he's about to uncork. I might regret it though.

most of that hernandez stuff was billy o'brien ----- your current head coach of the houston texans

mcdaniels isn't as 12 friendly, I don't think, or te friendly at all, for that matter -- I'm guessing 2+ te maybe half as much as 2010/11, and that includes the minny game where they used OT cameron fleming as a te.

Anyone care to guess his dynasty value after this week? Does this bring him into top 20 range?

well, kembrell was already inactive in 2 of the last 3 games, I believe, he's got a chance to resurface if he clears waivers, gronk should progressively gain snaps, and tyms may take kembrell's spot on the roster next week.

so, we'll see...........
It will be matter of time and this kid will be on everybody's radar. 19 snaps and over 85 yards and a TD, I think BB is onto something...

so, we'll see...........
It will be matter of time and this kid will be on everybody's radar. 19 snaps and over 85 yards and a TD, I think BB is onto something...
He's only been with the team for 4 weeks. So September was pretty much his preseason. I think he'll have a much bigger NFL than fantasy impact but if he's available he's an intriguing prospect.

Nice stuff here Larry. I really thought Wright was going to get targeted at the beginning of the season in order re-incarnate (pardon the pun) the 2 TE Hernandez package. Especially when you consider their obvious lack of a deep threat. I spent a little FA dough on him early on in my dynasty that's feeling like a waste of time and bench space. Just cut him for Garrett Graham as I feel he's about to uncork. I might regret it though.
Yep I regret it already.

Rotoworld:

Coach Bill Belichick said "nobody works harder" than Tim Wright.

Wright broke out with a 5-85-1 game in Week 5, but his meager playing time continued with just 19-of-84 snaps. The question now is if he's earned more snaps, which would obviously give him more week-to-week consistency and put him on the TE1 radar in the Aaron Hernandez role. Belichick's comments at least lend hope. "Is he there yet? No, but I'd say he's gaining on it steadily," Belichick said.

Source: ESPN Boston

Oct 9 - 9:11 AM

Users who are viewing this thread