What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who the Heck is Tim Wright? (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Tim Wright played on 33-of-65 snaps (50.7 percent) in Sunday's win over the Falcons.

Wright has fallen off the map of late with a total of two catches for 32 yards on three targets over the last two weeks. But he's remained the primary pass-catching tight end, playing on a healthy 53.0 percent of the snaps. The biggest reason for his disappointing numbers is the Bucs' two-game winning streak. Wright does most of his damage in garbage time, something the TE2 could see plenty of in Week 12. The Lions have been installed as 9.5 point favorites over the Bucs.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Tim Wright played on 33-of-65 snaps (50.7 percent) in Sunday's win over the Falcons.

Wright has fallen off the map of late with a total of two catches for 32 yards on three targets over the last two weeks. But he's remained the primary pass-catching tight end, playing on a healthy 53.0 percent of the snaps. The biggest reason for his disappointing numbers is the Bucs' two-game winning streak. Wright does most of his damage in garbage time, something the TE2 could see plenty of in Week 12. The Lions have been installed as 9.5 point favorites over the Bucs.

lets hope so.

The Bucs have been running the ball down team's throats the past 3 weeks. Glennon simply hasn't had to pass. I'd guess he's passed about half as much the last 3 games than he did his first several starts. Right now, I don't think there's a line in the league playing better than the Bucs. They're absolutely mauling teams up front. No coincidence they're winning right now.

Edit: Just checked -- Last 3 starts, Glennon has attempted 23, 21, and 23 passes. He completedno less than 24 in his first 4 starts (attempting no less than 43)

People can say what they want about Schiano, but his players aren't quitting on him. And he's put together a great game plan. He's given Rainey & Mike James the chance to shine over his trusted college player Brian Leonard. If not for the Seattle collapse, they'd have a 3 game win streak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Tim Wright's playing time is expected to rise going forward.

Tom Crabtree, Luke Stocker and Nate Byham are all on the Bucs' injured reserve. It leaves Wright as the only viable option at tight end. He's a poor blocker, but the former college wideout is emerging as the No. 2 option in the passing game. "Timmy Wright is quickly becoming a really tough tight end to cover in this league," coach Greg Schiano said. "He and Mike Glennon have a really good feel for each other." The dynamic Wright will be on the field for every single passing situation going forward, giving him more upside than other borderline TE1s.

Target monster. I think his prior week was an abberation. I don't own him, but think he's highly underrated in the top 200 going forward. Should produce consistent 12-15 point games in PPR. Buy-buy-buy!

ETA: This is complete 180 on my previous Tim Wright take. I'm a believer.

This is a curious case for me... He seems to do well with the opportunities that he gets but if their running game is clicking he doesn't seem to get many of those opportunities

In half-PPR he finished the season as the #14 TE and in weeks 8-17 he was the #5 scoring TE. All this in his rookie season. But I have yet to see a dynasty ranking where he is listed in the top 50. What am I missing? Are people refusing to rank him since he might shift to WR at some point, has he flown completely under the radar, or what is going on?

In half-PPR he finished the season as the #14 TE and in weeks 8-17 he was the #5 scoring TE. All this in his rookie season. But I have yet to see a dynasty ranking where he is listed in the top 50. What am I missing? Are people refusing to rank him since he might shift to WR at some point, has he flown completely under the radar, or what is going on?
Schiano being fired was likely not good for his future - its easy to see TB bringing in a more traditional TE.

also Mike Williams returns to take targets away.

I know personally I wouldnt feel confident in having him as a TE1 long term. [New staff/Williams back/new offense that may prefer a slot WR to a 2nd TE]

If someone else does (think he's a long term TE1), I personally would deal him. After the elite TE, it's a toss up. I'd much rather take a shot on a TE with higher ceiling.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Bucs blogger Pat Yasinskas says the Bucs need to upgrade at tight end.
Converted wideout Tim Wright was a pleasant surprise in 2013, finishing with 54 catches for 571 yards and five touchdowns as an undrafted rookie. But he's a major liability as a blocker and his college coach, Greg Schiano, is gone. New boss Lovie Smith will likely be on the hunt for a more well-rounded tight end, allowing him to leave Wright in a strict passing-down role. He's a sell-high candidate in Dynasty formats.

I've been targeting him in leagues lately. People seem to be really eager to move him since they expect him to switch to WR, and with ASJ coming in owners are even more desperate to get rid of him and try to salvage some value. But the way I see it; his production was so good in his rookie year that I think he is an intriguing player even if he switches to WR. I am of course talking about deeper leagues where he is my number three TE or an end of the roster WR...but given how many rookie WRs struggle in their first season and how well Wright did, I'm interested to see how he develops. His primary challenge will likely be that there are so many mouths to feed there now, but I wouldn't bail on him as cheaply as a lot of guys are doing now.

With Myers, ASJ, Sims and Herron to compete with for scraps after VJax and Evans I am not seeing much room for Wright.
No, not from a perspective of evaluating which players can help your team and provide reliable production for 2014. But from a perspective of who is this guy and is he worth holding in deeper dynasty leagues...? Depth charts and rosters are a very fluent thing. If he was a rookie 6'4" WR that had 54 receptions, 571 yards and 5 TDs in limited action, one would normally look at that and start writing dynasty sleeper pieces, but all I've been seeing on Tim Wright this offseason has been more along the lines of "nah, he was just a Schiano guy and will move to WR. No value." I find that interesting.

If they didn't draft so many skill players things would look better for Wright I think. Particularly if they didn't draft Evans. But also ASJ who will compete with him for TE type looks. That is bumping him out of 2 of the potential roles he could have in their offense (although he could still time share with those guys). Then Herron and Sims could compete with him for snaps in the slot.

If they only drafted Evans for example, then I could see him still holding down a role in the offense. But he has competition everywhere now. So it looks less promising.

Biabreakable said:
With Myers, ASJ, Sims and Herron to compete with for scraps after VJax and Evans I am not seeing much room for Wright.
Exciting times in Tampa Bay when fantasy folks are talking about the Bucs having too many weapons. :thumbup:

Rotoworld:

Coach Lovie Smith says the Bucs have "big plans" for TE Tim Wright in the passing game.

That's despite the Bucs' additions of Brandon Myers and Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Smith's comments are more an indication that the Bucs have no plans to phase Wright out of the offense altogether. Smith envisions Wright winning matchups against linebackers and safeties, which is certainly something he can do as an oversized slot threat. Wright is unlikely to have fantasy value this season.

Source: Pewter Report on Twitter

Jun 10 - 4:29 PM

Good article on Wright,

http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/wright-ready-to-play-big-part-in-bucs-offense-20140803/

Tim gives us a lot of flexibility, Smith said. The trend in the league now seems to be to line your tight end up out wide (like a wide receiver), and with Tim in there, we can do that.

So youll see him split out (wide) from time to time, and we can also line him up just like you would a true tight end. We can even line him up in the backfield. Theres a lot we can do with him.

Rotoworld:

Coach Lovie Smith says the Bucs have "big plans" for TE Tim Wright in the passing game.

That's despite the Bucs' additions of Brandon Myers and Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Smith's comments are more an indication that the Bucs have no plans to phase Wright out of the offense altogether. Smith envisions Wright winning matchups against linebackers and safeties, which is certainly something he can do as an oversized slot threat. Wright is unlikely to have fantasy value this season.

Source: Pewter Report on Twitter

Jun 10 - 4:29 PM
Gotta love that "tight end by committe", I think ill pass on that....

Seems a no-brainer to keep Wright on the field in the slot until a WR steps up there. He can't block much or play a traditional TE role but then that's why they brought in ASJ.

@FieldYates: As @JayGlazer first reported, the Patriots have traded G Logan Mankins to the Bucs for TE Tim Wright & a draft pick, league source confirms.

They had nearly identical 40 times. Hernandez was stronger and bigger for sure but Wright had a better vertical and straight line speed.

Aaron Hernandez:

Dates: 03/17/10
Height: 6023
Weight: 245
40 Yrd Dash: 4.64
20 Yrd Dash: 2.71
10 Yrd Dash: 1.65

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 30
Vertical Jump: 33
Broad Jump: 09'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.18
3-Cone Drill: 6.83

Tim Wright:

Dates: 03/13/13
Height: 6030
Weight: 219
40 Yrd Dash: 4.65
20 Yrd Dash: 2.74
10 Yrd Dash: 1.63

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19
Vertical Jump: 36
Broad Jump: 09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.47
3-Cone Drill: 7.27

Aaron Hernandez:

Dates: 03/17/10

Height: 6023

Weight: 245

40 Yrd Dash: 4.64

20 Yrd Dash: 2.71

10 Yrd Dash: 1.65 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 30

Vertical Jump: 33

Broad Jump: 09'03"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.18

3-Cone Drill: 6.83

Tim Wright:

Dates: 03/13/13

Height: 6030

Weight: 219

40 Yrd Dash: 4.65

20 Yrd Dash: 2.74

10 Yrd Dash: 1.63 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19

Vertical Jump: 36

Broad Jump: 09'10"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.47

3-Cone Drill: 7.27
How do their body counts compare?

This guy was a converted wide receiver, makes this deal interesting to me.. but can't see him doing a whole lot right away. But down the stretch maybe??

Bucs had him put on weight this offseason. I heard he was looking good in early August but it has been quiet on him since then.

BB and his buddy Schiano are very familiar with Wrights skill set, so I wouldn't be surprised if this trade was in the works for some time.

Oh boy, I sense a new fantasy darling, shooting up draft boards.

Does this say anything about Gronk's willingness to get out there week 1? I agree he's a better Hernandez replacement than a Gronk backup, but still...

Definitely worth a late round flyer for those that didn't get a top 3/4 TE (to pair with a Ertz type, of course).

I always said that Wright would be a great weapon on a team like NE that knows how to use 2 TEs.

I always said that Wright would be a great weapon on a team like NE that knows how to use 2 TEs.
Agreed.

This is great news. I hadn't watched much of TB this preseason, but I was beginning to think one of my deeper sleepers was going to not pan out. This adds new hope. He could be a great asset to NE. It might take a good bit of time, though.

HYPE IT

As a patriots fan, I'm excited about this. Don't mind letting mankins go, I think his days were numbered being in the last year of an expensive contract. I think wright could replace Hernandez, not as good but nearly. Wright is taller and if he has put on weight this offseason that is good, he is almost as fast as Hernandez and proved last season he has a great set of hands. Though I'm putting JT above Gronk now after this.

Users who are viewing this thread