What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who wins super bowl 49? (1 Viewer)

Riversco

Footballguy
I got Broncos over Panthers.

You need a good QB and your defense needs to be able to hit the other team's QB.

The Broncos by adding Ware become the easy favorites to win the Super Bowl IMO. The NFC is more difficult but the Panthers get a lot of pressure on the QB and with Kuechly running around back there at LB that is a defense built to win a title. Cam Newton is certainly good enough to win with that defense. The downside is Greg Hardy, who had 15 sacks last year, was found guilty of domestic violence in july which carries a 6 game NFL ban. but he appealed and the trial is in November so he may wind up missing November and December. Hardy's conviction may wind up costing the Panthers a ring.

I considered other NFC teams. The 49ers will lose Aldon Smith to a 9 game suspension for drug use. That's a severe blow because their pass rush is nowhere near as good without him.

The Seahawks pass rush got weaker as they lost key players to free agency.

The Rams have the best DL in the league but don't have a QB so I can't pick them.

Its pretty amazing that two top NFC teams are both losing their best QB pressure guy to suspensions.

Looking at the Panthers schedule, they drew the AFC North and they are better than any of those teams. They should sweep them all, wind up 13-3, and win the #1 seed, losing to the Broncos in the Super Bowl.

49ers weather their defensive losses of Ray McDonald and Smith by leaning on their punishing run game to edge the Seahawks in the NFC Championship and easily beat the Pats in the Superbowl, giving us one last glorious slouched Brady pose before his retirement.

You need a good QB and your defense needs to be able to hit the other team's QB.

The Broncos by adding Ware become the easy favorites to win the Super Bowl IMO. The NFC is more difficult but the Panthers get a lot of pressure on the QB and with Kuechly running around back there at LB that is a defense built to win a title. Cam Newton is certainly good enough to win with that defense. The downside is Greg Hardy, who had 15 sacks last year, was found guilty of domestic violence in july which carries a 6 game NFL ban. but he appealed and the trial is in November so he may wind up missing November and December. Hardy's conviction may wind up costing the Panthers a ring.

I considered other NFC teams. The 49ers will lose Aldon Smith to a 9 game suspension for drug use. That's a severe blow because their pass rush is nowhere near as good without him.

The Rams have the best DL in the league but don't have a QB so I can't pick them.

Its pretty amazing that two top NFC teams are both losing their best QB pressure guy to suspensions.

Looking at the Panthers schedule, they drew the AFC North and they are better than any of those teams. They should sweep them all, wind up 13-3, and win the #1 seed, losing to the Broncos in the Super Bowl.
I'm not sure the Panthers even make the playoffs this year. They overachieved big time. They won something like 7 games by 4 points or less, or basically every game that was close they won. That doesn't normally happen. They also had one of the easiest schedules last year, and got trounced quickly in the playoffs despite playing at home. It's an offensive league and they didn't do anything to upgrade their offense. I would bet even money they don't even make the playoffs.

A simple prediction is boring. Let's take a look at the Vegas odds and which are best values.

11/1 for the Packers seems crazy. This is the best overall team/roster that the Packers have had since Rodgers' tenure started. The defense is above-average on talent but just needs to stay healthy, and the offense is balanced so much by elite players that it's going to be near unstoppable.

8/1 for the Pats is decent, mostly due to the fact the AFC is so weak. When you basically get a pass to the final 8, you should be getting at least those odds.

11/1 for the Saints is also pretty nuts. That defense is vastly improved (moreso than the Packers) and the offense is just as unstoppable. Now that I think about it, they probably should be getting slightly better odds than the Packers.

20/1 Eagles? Wut? They lost a very close game in the divisional round and could match up against any team.

26/1 Bears - Again seems too low. It's difficult to win a title with no defense, but it has been done recently (2010 Packers).

42/1 Lions - Why? I know Stafford has been inconsistent but this is overall one of the most talented rosters in the league. They can stop the run, pound the run, and pass for 5,000 yards. The secondary is the only weak link on this team. They could easily get hot and make a run.

45/1 Chargers - They lost by 7 points to Denver in the final 8 (and beat them in the regular season). The defense is getting better and they found a run game last year. The Lions are a better version of the Chargers but the Chargers should have better odds because the AFC is so weak.

Denver Broncos 6/1 Seattle Seahawks 6/1 New England Patriots 8/1 Green Bay Packers 11/1 New Orleans Saints 11/1 San Francisco 49ers 12/1 Philadelphia Eagles 20/1 Chicago Bears 26/1 Indianapolis Colts 28/1 Pittsburgh Steelers 28/1 Cincinnati Bengals 30/1 Baltimore Ravens 40/1 Detroit Lions 42/1

San Diego Chargers 45/1 Arizona Cardinals 50/1 Atlanta Falcons 62/1 New York Giants 65/1 Houston Texans 70/1 Kansas City Chiefs 75/1 Washington Redskins 75/1 Carolina Panthers 80/1 Miami Dolphins 80/1 Dallas Cowboys 90/1 Minnesota Vikings 95/1 Tampa Bay Buccanneers 95/1 Buffalo Bills 100/1 Cleveland Browns 100/1 New York Jets 100/1 St. Louis Rams 100/1 Tennessee Titans 100/1 Oakland Raiders 200/1 Jacksonville Jaguars 250/1

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure the Panthers even make the playoffs this year. They overachieved big time. They won something like 7 games by 4 points or less, or basically every game that was close they won. That doesn't normally happen. They also had one of the easiest schedules last year, and got trounced quickly in the playoffs despite playing at home. It's an offensive league and they didn't do anything to upgrade their offense. I would bet even money they don't even make the playoffs.
Well sure they won a lot of close games. Their defense was outstanding and they only allowed about 240 points. They lost to an extremely good 49er team that probably wins the super bowl if the Seahawks weren't in their way. If Aldon Smith didn't have the 9 game suspension, I'd pick the 49ers to win the Super Bowl this year.

A simple prediction is boring. Let's take a look at the Vegas odds and which are best values.

11/1 for the Packers seems crazy. This is the best overall team/roster that the Packers have had since Rodgers' tenure started. The defense is above-average on talent but just needs to stay healthy, and the offense is balanced so much by elite players that it's going to be near unstoppable.

8/1 for the Pats is decent, mostly due to the fact the AFC is so weak. When you basically get a pass to the final 8, you should be getting at least those odds.

11/1 for the Saints is also pretty nuts. That defense is vastly improved (moreso than the Packers) and the offense is just as unstoppable. Now that I think about it, they probably should be getting slightly better odds than the Packers.

20/1 Eagles? Wut? They lost a very close game in the divisional round and could match up against any team.

26/1 Bears - Again seems too low. It's difficult to win a title with no defense, but it has been done recently (2010 Packers).

Denver Broncos 6/1 Seattle Seahawks 6/1 New England Patriots 8/1 Green Bay Packers 11/1 New Orleans Saints 11/1 San Francisco 49ers 12/1 Philadelphia Eagles 20/1 Chicago Bears 26/1 Indianapolis Colts 28/1 Pittsburgh Steelers 28/1 Cincinnati Bengals 30/1 Baltimore Ravens 40/1 Detroit Lions 42/1
:yes:

The Packers had an awesome pass rush with Clay Matthews getting mentioned for league MVP. To me, you need a good QB and a fearsome pass rush and the Packers had both that year.

If you ask me to rank last year's teams I'd go:

Seahawks

49ers

Panthers

Broncos

The Seahawks and 49ers took a step back this offseason. The Panthers are still intact and the Broncos took a big leap forward.

:no:

The Eagles lost in the first round, not the divisional round.

:no:

The Eagles lost in the first round, not the divisional round.
Thanks. That part doesn't really matter.

I like the look of NE and the Saints.

Both teams are looking pretty loaded on both sides of the ball to me, and both have long-tenured coaches with championship pedigrees. Broncs and Seahawks obviously belong in the discussion.

Meaning that I'll definitely be laying off the betting action, since they're all pretty solid faves.

I don't see the Carolina talk. I think there's a realistic chance they finish fourth in their own division. :shrug:

I don't see the Carolina talk. I think there's a realistic chance they finish fourth in their own division. :shrug:
I agree with this. The offense just isn't there...yet. If the D can sustain their dominance (and with a guy like Kuechly why not?) I think with a couple of years of development for Benjamin and another low-end 2/high-end 3 receiver, all while Cam will just be entering his prime, the Panthers could be the NFC favorite in a couple years.

I agree with this. The offense just isn't there...yet. If the D can sustain their dominance (and with a guy like Kuechly why not?) I think with a couple of years of development for Benjamin and another low-end 2/high-end 3 receiver, all while Cam will just be entering his prime, the Panthers could be the NFC favorite in a couple years.
Not that I'd wager on them finishing fourth in the NFCS, but I can see it.

CAR D is awesome...but so are TAM's and NOR's now. :shrug:

NOR and ATL clearly crush CAR in the offense dept, with TAM kind of a wild card. :shrug:

Seems pretty clearly NOR's to lose, in my opinion.

49ers weather their defensive losses of Ray McDonald and Smith by leaning on their punishing run game to edge the Seahawks in the NFC Championship and easily beat the Pats in the Superbowl, giving us one last glorious slouched Brady pose before his retirement.
The 49ers look like a disaster waiting to happen. They may go 6-10

Seattle looks incredible and Denver upgraded their D. Hard to not like either of those.

Maybe the Packers or Patriots can get in there.

The 49ers look like a disaster waiting to happen. They may go 6-10
I'm onboard with this thought. I think they finish 3rd in the west

In the salary cap era, only 3 teams (97-98 GB, 98-99 DEN, 04-05 NE) have made it to back-to-back Super Bowls (out of 38 teams). That's less than 8% of the time.

In the salary cap era, only 3 teams (97-98 GB, 98-99 DEN, 04-05 NE) have made it to back-to-back Super Bowls (out of 38 teams). That's less than 8% of the time.
Few teams in recent memory who reached the Super Bowl were as solid a squad as the Seahawks had/have. Little turnover, defense that got them there remains dominant looking on paper and preseason field. It's the homer in me talking, but this is the year I can see both the Hawks and the Broncos meeting back up in February.

But, my prediction is Saints over Patriots. Hawks O-line struggles make for a close NFC championship game, but Brees-Graham proves too deadly. Broncos lose out to the Patriots in their AFC Championship, Brandon Browner and Derelle Revis combine for 3 picks on the night.

Seahawks

49ers

Panthers

Broncos

The Seahawks and 49ers took a step back this offseason. The Panthers are still intact and the Broncos took a big leap forward.
The Panthers are NOT, in fact, intact. Holy hell, that team looks mediocre past the front 7. The secondary is even more laughable than last year, the lost out on everyone in their WR corps (I do like Benjamin though, but maybe its mostly by default), and Cam has been struggling with a nagging injury all offseason. Add in an injury-riddled RB corp without enough talent between them to tie their on shoelaces, and it falls on the front 7 to once again carry them to the playoffs. I say it doesn't happen.

Broncos are much, much improved on defense, Hawks remain about the same on both sides, and 49ers are getting repeatedly beaten down by injuries and suspensions to make a deceptively hard first 6 games all the harder.

Seahawks

49ers

Panthers

Broncos

The Seahawks are a young team with an extra year of experience. They will be better this year. Anything can happen in a one and done playoff format, but I would put my money on the Seahawks.

San Diego Chargers 45/1 Arizona Cardinals 50/1 Atlanta Falcons 62/1 New York Giants 65/1 Houston Texans 70/1 Kansas City Chiefs 75/1 Washington Redskins 75/1 Carolina Panthers 80/1 Miami Dolphins 80/1 Dallas Cowboys 90/1 Minnesota Vikings 95/1 Tampa Bay Buccanneers 95/1 Buffalo Bills 100/1 Cleveland Browns 100/1 New York Jets 100/1 St. Louis Rams 100/1 Tennessee Titans 100/1 Oakland Raiders 200/1 Jacksonville Jaguars 250/1
If I were a betting man, this would be my C note deposit here.

At some point, I think Brady and BB put together one last great year and get that 4th SB. Belichick rides off into the sunset after the season. As weak as the AFC is, could be this year.

If I were a betting man, this would be my C note deposit here.
For me, its all about that Buccaneers bet. I may even think about placing a throwaway bet on a few fliers now that I see these.

I think the Bears are a slam-dunk to win it all this year. I realize that it's very hard to win with a porous defense no matter how formidable your offense may be. However, I think the Bears' defense will be much, much more effective than people are predicting . Adding Houston and Allen is going to make their defensive line absolutely lethal. Will they be a top five defense? No, but they'll be in the top half of the league. Although their secondary (and I do think Fuller will do well) may be suspect, I liken them to the Giants teams of the last few years that didn't have the best corners and safeties, but were able to send wave after wave of defensive lineman to harass opposing quarterbacks.

A much improved defense coupled with an unstoppable offense? They're winning it all.

Who will they face? This is definitely tougher to call. I think the Patriots get revenge on the Broncos in the playoffs and make it to the Super Bowl.

Chicago over New England. The Bears will win the Super Bowl in a repeat of Super Bowl XX. Get your money in now.

After watching last year's Super Bowl recap on NFLN tonight it is hard to imagine Seattle not repeating. And just as hard to imagine the Broncos getting back. Seahawks over the Patriots.

The Packers over the Broncos in what will be the "revenge" SB from SB XXXII as we watch a close game until Eddie Lacy takes over in the 4th and puts on a classic SB moment, running over, around, and through the Broncos.

I think the Bears are a slam-dunk to win it all this year. I realize that it's very hard to win with a porous defense no matter how formidable your offense may be. However, I think the Bears' defense will be much, much more effective than people are predicting . Adding Houston and Allen is going to make their defensive line absolutely lethal. Will they be a top five defense? No, but they'll be in the top half of the league. Although their secondary (and I do think Fuller will do well) may be suspect, I liken them to the Giants teams of the last few years that didn't have the best corners and safeties, but were able to send wave after wave of defensive lineman to harass opposing quarterbacks.

A much improved defense coupled with an unstoppable offense? They're winning it all.

Who will they face? This is definitely tougher to call. I think the Patriots get revenge on the Broncos in the playoffs and make it to the Super Bowl.

Chicago over New England. The Bears will win the Super Bowl in a repeat of Super Bowl XX. Get your money in now.
You must have missed the week 3 preseason game. :shrug:

Seahawks and Broncos both 6/1? 3/1 for either winning isn't a bad bet.

For that not to happen, one of about 5 other contending teams is going to have to both beat expectations during the season and also play very well in the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread