What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who's the NFCs best? (1 Viewer)

Which of these teams will win the NFC?

• Carolina (7-2)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seattle (7-2)

• Atlanta (6-3)

• Chicago (6-3)

• NY Giants (6-3)

• Tampa Bay (6-3)

• Dallas (5-3)

• Other (Specify)

• Total voters

LoneWolf

Footballguy
I have been hearing a lot about the Carolina Panthers as the NFC best team lately. As a Carolina homer, I couldn't be happier. However, I feel they are not quite as good as their record indicates. Playing against the NFC North and AFC East has padded their record a bit. They are only 1-1 in their division plus Atlanta and Tampa Bay both look solid. With games remaining against both Tampa and Atlanta plus a tough matchup against the surprising Bears, I just don't see them winning their division, much less the NFC. So who do you think will win the NFC?

Colts have a VERY tough road ahead. No way I'm putting them in the Super Bowl unless they actually make it.I voted Seattle - mainly because they are getting no love from the national media. That team is very good, and will likely get the #1 seed in the NFC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course I'm bias but I actually think Dallas is the best team in the NFC>They lost to Seattle, but IMO dominated that game. They will win next time, in Seattle or in Dallas it won't matter.Dallas beat the Giants without their starting RB, I feel confident they can beat them again.Tonight's game vs. Philly is a big one. Even without TO, Philly is tough to beat at home.

Philly counted out already, say it ain't so. :( Boomer Esiason didn't even have them contending for the NFC East in the pregame show yesterday. He said something along the lines of "Giants win the division, Redskins get the wildcard, but don't worry Cowboy fans you still have a shot"... with no mention of the Eagles.I'll be at the game tonight and hope its the turning point for our season followed by a win in NY to get us back on top. :football:

FWIW...

Margin of victory:

NYG +87

CAR +84

SEA +83

CHI +49

DAL +44

ATL +41

TB +20

turnover ratio:

CAR +9

NYG +8

ATL +4

DAL +3 (MNF still to go)

TB +1

SEA +1

CHI -2

Streak

CAR - won 6

CHI - won 5

SEA - won 5

DAL - won 1 (MNF still to go)

TB - won 1

ATL - lost 1

NYG - lost 1

Points scored per game:

NYG 28.2

CAR 27.7

SEA 27.2

ATL 24.1

DAL 22.6

CHI 17.3

TB 17.3

Points allowed per game:

CHI 11.8

DAL 17.1

TB 17.3

SEA 18.0

CAR 18.4

NYG 18.5

ATL 19.5

Went with Seattle.Falcons Defense is not good enough this year to make up for Vick's errors.Carolina has a chance, but I'm still not sold on their Offense, but Defense does win championships so who knows.I like the Seahawks offense with Alexander. Engram is back and I believe Jackson will be back shortly to improve the passing gmae. Their Defense is nothing special, but is good enough to hang with high scoreing teams.Giants.. hmmm, they have a chance, although I think they are 1 year away as Eli is still learning all aspects of the game. But that defense is hitting on all counts right now.Bears. um.. No.. They have beat The Lions twice, The Ravens, The Rodeo lead 49ers, The Vikings and homeless Saints. Not what you'd call World beaters there..

We'll know more about the Bears (and the Panthers for that matter) after the two meet up in Chi-town next Sunday.

Went with Sea. This team has looked impressive and can really control games with SA running the ball. When DJax comes back, they will only be better.

We'll know more about the Bears (and the Panthers for that matter) after the two meet up in Chi-town next Sunday.
Yea. Time to find out if that Bears Defense is that good, or has been a mirage of who they played.Thinking a 13-10 game is in the works.

Just hoping the Wind doesn't factor like it did Yesterday as I'd like to see more than 100 yards passing in a NFL Game.

Call me biased as well but the 'Boys outplayed Washington and Seattle only to lose in the last 60 some-odd seconds of each game. The young defense needed this time to gell and learn how to work together so they will only get better and more dominant as the season rolls along (barring any major injuries).Carolina might look like be the best right now due to their record but they have not played nearly the talent level that the NFC East has. If/When Dallas wins tonite I would call them the best team in the NFC or at the very least right on par with Sea and Car.

I just don't see them [Carolina] winning their division, much less the NFC.
And you call yourself a 'Carolina homer'?!?!? :confused: Now that the DEF is performing they can get back to their ball control/field position style that was so successful two years ago. Tampa's OFF is suspect, and our rush defense should shut down one-dimensional Atlanta. Cheers to the Packers for lending a hand.

Unleashed are the Panthers!

I went Bears (and I'm apparently the only one = based solely on wishful thinking. Carolina (7-2) [ 17 ] ** [42.50%]Seattle (7-2) [ 9 ] ** [22.50%]Atlanta (6-3) [ 2 ] ** [5.00%]Chicago (6-3) [ 1 ] ** [2.50%]NY Giants (6-3) [ 2 ] ** [5.00%]Tampa Bay (6-3) [ 2 ] ** [5.00%]Dallas (5-3) [ 4 ] ** [10.00%]Other (Specify) [ 3 ] ** [7.50%]Total Votes: 40

It is very possible the Carolina could be the best team in the NFC, but not the most likely Super Bowl representative. Seattle is now a lock to win their division (even more so than the Colts are to win the AFC South - yes - THAT much of a lock), and have I'd say at least a 70% chance of getting a 1st round bye. Getting a 1st round bye significantly upgrades a team's chances of going to the Super Bowl. Carolina is in a 3-team dogfight to win the NFC South, and the key division games for them haven't started yet. Amazingly, in spite of the above, the Panthers have better odds to win the NFC than the Seahawks (+220 for Carolina to +250 for Seattle). If I was forced to make a futures bet on who will represent the NFC from only those two teams - I'll take the team that has the much better chance to avoid WC weekend - especially when I get slightly better odds - than to take the team that is perceived to be stronger at the moment.

defense wins in the playoffs, but you still need an offense to score and keep your defense fresh...carolina has a great defense but they haven't really been able to establish the run and are one-dimensional with steve smith. seattle on the other hand has SA and a solid group of WR (?if DJax will get back into the mis) and really an under estimated defense (granted they play teams like the 49ers and cardinals, but they still held the rams to only one TD eventhough bulger threw for 300 yards). seattle vs. carolina in the NFC championship.seattle wins

Carolina, although we have 2 games against them and Carolina is like 0-5 against a Vick-lead Falcon team (we have their #). We even beat em the year they went to the SuperBowl & we were 5-11 (Vick 1st start after the injury). If we go 2-0 against Carolina like we usually do then we'll win the division, if we split most likely Panthers win it.

I think it's between Carolina and Dallas, with the nod going to the Panthers because I trust Delhomme more than Bledsoe. Seattle could be a contender but only if their defense can be consistent and they get home-field advantage, which is certainly possible.

Dallas, and ya i'm biased.but i really believe that they are the best team in the NFCright on there heels are carolina, seattle, atlanta and the rest of the nfc east. everyone else (dont trust tampa) is down below... (and i didnt forget about chicago.. i dont think they are as good as their record indicates and they will lose badly against carolina)

Seattle. And I hate them. yet, when I watch the games (we are force fed Seahawks games in Oregon, as if we are a suburb of Seattle), I see a dominant offensive line, a great QB, a great RB, very good special teams and a solid defense.

lol @ colts being pegged as a sure spot in the SB
FWIW, IIRC there have been 9 teams that have started 9-0 yet only 4 of them went on to win the Super Bowl.
ESPN keeps saying it was 5 out of 10 - or 6 out of 11. Doesn't anyone have a list of the teams that started 9-0 or better in the Super Bowl era?

FWIW, IIRC there have been 9 teams that have started 9-0 yet only 4 of them went on to win the Super Bowl.
ESPN keeps saying it was 5 out of 10 - or 6 out of 11. Doesn't anyone have a list of the teams that started 9-0 or better in the Super Bowl era?
It was in Sunday's paper (which I no longer have), and I thought it was 1 less than half of whatever the total was (4 of 9, 5 of 11, etc.).

Maybe we can come up with the list:Those that I can remember winning:1972 Fins1998 Broncos1985 Bears1990 GiantsThose that I can remember falling short:2003 Chiefs1998 Vikings1990 NinersThat's off the top of my head. So, we're missing 2 to 4 teams before this year's Colts in the Super Bowl era that started at least 9-0.

I just don't see them [Carolina] winning their division, much less the NFC. 
And you call yourself a 'Carolina homer'?!?!? :confused: Now that the DEF is performing they can get back to their ball control/field position style that was so successful two years ago. Tampa's OFF is suspect, and our rush defense should shut down one-dimensional Atlanta. Cheers to the Packers for lending a hand.

Unleashed are the Panthers!
Did you see the play calling in yesterday's game? :X

Did ESPN happen to mention how many made it to the SB?
I thought it was 8 out of 11, but I'm not sure I'm right - the 3 teams I mentioned all failed to make the Super Bowl (2003 Chiefs, 1998 Vikings, 1990 Niners). Though - in the 1990 Niners case - the Giants also started at least 9-0 in the same season so both could not have made the Super Bowl that year. I can't think of the other teams - I'm hoping fans of other teams can remember their teams' special seasons.

I just cannot say a team with Drew Bledsoe at QB is the best in any conference. Ever. Sorry, Dallas fans. :PCarolina was my preseason pick and they looked like a shaky one early on, but are rolling now. I picked them.

I just cannot say a team with Drew Bledsoe at QB is the best in any conference. Ever. Sorry, Dallas fans. :P

Carolina was my preseason pick and they looked like a shaky one early on, but are rolling now. I picked them.
For one, there's not a great team in the NFC right now. If Dallas wins, it would be because of their solid defensive play and balanced offensive attack. Drew Bledsoe is only a part of what's going on in Dallas.There have been lesser Qb's who have won the SB or at least been to the SB as the starter.

Maybe we can come up with the list:

Those that I can remember winning:

1972 Fins

1998 Broncos

1985 Bears

1990 Giants

Those that I can remember falling short:

2003 Chiefs

1998 Vikings

1990 Niners

That's off the top of my head. So, we're missing 2 to 4 teams before this year's Colts in the Super Bowl era that started at least 9-0.
The 1998 Vikings weren't one of them. Here's which teams I came up with . . .1967 Colts (11-0-2) Missed Playoffs

1969 Raiders (11-0) Lost First Playoff Game

1972 Dolphins (14-0) Won SB

1973 Vikings (9-0) Lost SB

1975 Vikings (10-0) Lost First Playoff Game

1984 Dolphins (11-0) Lost SB

1985 Bears (12-0) Won SB

1990 Giants (10-0) Won SB

1990 Niners (10-0) Lost NFC Title Game

1991 Redskins (11-0) Won SB

1998 Broncos (13-0) Won SB

2003 Chiefs (9-0) Lost First Playoff Game

I count 5 SB winners and 6 that didn't win (not counting the 67 Colts who technically were undefeated through 13 games.

Maybe we can come up with the list:

Those that I can remember winning:

1972 Fins

1998 Broncos

1985 Bears

1990 Giants

Those that I can remember falling short:

2003 Chiefs

1998 Vikings

1990 Niners

That's off the top of my head.  So, we're missing 2 to 4 teams before this year's Colts in the Super Bowl era that started at least 9-0.
The 1998 Vikings weren't one of them. Here's which teams I came up with . . .1967 Colts (11-0-2) Missed Playoffs

1969 Raiders (11-0) Lost First Playoff Game

1972 Dolphins (14-0) Won SB

1973 Vikings (9-0) Lost SB

1975 Vikings (10-0) Lost First Playoff Game

1984 Dolphins (11-0) Lost SB

1985 Bears (12-0) Won SB

1990 Giants (10-0) Won SB

1990 Niners (10-0) Lost NFC Title Game

1991 Redskins (11-0) Won SB

1998 Broncos (13-0) Won SB

2003 Chiefs (9-0) Lost First Playoff Game

I count 5 SB winners and 6 that didn't win (not counting the 67 Colts who technically were undefeated through 13 games.
I think what we have is some tinkering by ESPN. I think I heard the "since 1970" caveat - which I guess means since the AFL-NFL merger. I guess I can kind of see why they do that. It just shows that there are lies and then there are statistics. :P

Would love for my Seahawks to go all the way, but that's my heart talking. My head still says my preseason pick was right (Carolina).Dominant defense. Power running game. QB-WR combination that can have a huge game if needed. Panthers are the team to beat in the NFC at this point.

time for bump

those voting for seahawks got this one right
This show of overconfidence reminds me of something Matt Hasselbeck once said..
it answers the first part of the question, who's the NFC's Best. That would be without a doubt the Seahawks, since they are the #1 seed in the NFC by record. I don't care about the Superbowl part of the question, as it presumes that the Colts will be in it. That's unanswerable at the moment, for anyone.

id go with seattle and add onto that list the skins...they are playing well right now, as long as brunell and santana moss can stay hot they can go in the nfc.skins beat chicago and seattle.skins swept dallas.skins should have won or at least taken the tampa bay game into overtime (the alstot 2 point conversion)carolina doesnt have a run game...and if anything happens to steve smith then they are through.

Users who are viewing this thread