What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why are there so many Steelers fans? (1 Viewer)

No outside influences here. Born and raised in N.California. Said I was a 9er fan before I watched any games other than the Super bowl. I really began watching games and paying attention to players and rosters and coaches in about the 88/89 9ers/Bengals Super Bowl season. That year was Noll's last and I really liked the scrappy mentality I saw from the Steelers w/ a fairly inferior team in a very superior AFC Central division. Cowher came on board the next year, and I really liked his approach and philosophy. 13 year MLB myself (+2 @ SS), I really like and respect a good defense and a strong running game. They've definately stuck as my favorite team, w/ the Raiders becoming my 2nd after R.Lott (my idol) and R.Craig were ousted from S.F. and joined w/ the silver and black, completing my conversion to the Raiders for my favorite local team.You must forgive me for liking both. As I said, I've been seriously watching since '89, and very rarely have both teams been good at the same time. I was born in 77, therfore couldn't say 'rivalry' until about 81 and so, it doesn't exist for me.I believe a big part of the following is ownership that understands what it takes to make a good football team/family. Not bailing on Cowher when he has a down season is very cool, and they don't go shelling out $ on big free agents, and understand that their own FA don't make the team, therefore won't spend huge $ on them/depleting their team in other areas. IS THERE ANY WAY WE CAN GET ROONEY TO SIT DOWN FOR A CUP OF COFFEE W/ AL DAVIS?

I can't take any credit for my being a Steeler fan. It is in my genes, I was born and raised there, my dad's sperm and mom's eggs both containing diehard Steeler fan DNA. Like Evilgrin, Pahnder, and some of the other fellas, I was young (11 months old) when the Immaculate Reception happened. I grew up bleeding black and gold, used to the fight song, etc. My grandmother made me knitted Steeler hats and mittens, and every football Sunday was set as a family holiday to celebrate the Steelers.I left Pittsburgh in 1996 and all my family is still there. There is a huge Steeler fan base here in Hampton Roads. Like the previous poster said, if Detroit had a winning past like the Steelers, they likely would be having many fans dispersed around the country.As a far aside, I still cheer hard for the Pirates and follow them too. My adolescent years with them in the 80's left much to be desired with the drug trials, etc. Sid Bream, Cabrerra, and the Braves tossed us out of the NLCS and we've pretty much sucked since then. But I still I love my Buccos.

The Browns have probably the largest fanbase in the nation. Browns Backers Worldwide is a huge organization. They even have a foothold in Pittsburgh itself. The Browns sellout their stadium every season. And they do all of this despite not fielding a consistent winner in 15 years.
:lmao:

My guess is that the number of trailer parks around any given area of the country has some kind of direct, positive correlation to the number of Steeler fans in that same area.I think you would see a similar correlation with Weight Watcher clinics and Big & Tall men's shops.

My guess is that the number of trailer parks around any given area of the country has some kind of direct, positive correlation to the number of Steeler fans in that same area.

I think you would see a similar correlation with Weight Watcher clinics and Big & Tall men's shops.
LOL. In all seriousness the OH/KY/IN tri-state area has the highest % of hilljacks in the country. They are just catching on to the zebra-striped NFL gear that Buffalo fans made famous in the Jim Kelly era.

2005 AFC North Champions.

I don't care if you guys win the Super Bowl (prolly not), we got the division.
Congrats on winning a tiebreaker. Too bad that winning didn't translate to the field.WE DEY !

Ugh. I want to kick my own ### for even typing that.

I think it's because they represent the hard working, blue-collared majority of America. They are notorious for being a tough "smash mouth" football team (the Steel curtain) and I think people like to think that is the American persona. Then, ofcourse, you have their hardass head coach sitting on the sidelines looking like he just ate some steel pillars for breakfast, giving you that borderline Insane scowl.

The Browns have probably the largest fanbase in the nation.  Browns Backers Worldwide is a huge organization.  They even have a foothold in Pittsburgh itself.  The Browns sellout their stadium every season.  And they do all of this despite not fielding a consistent winner in 15 years.
You do realize this is true, correct? Well, ONE of the largest...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Browns have probably the largest fanbase in the nation.  Browns Backers Worldwide is a huge organization.  They even have a foothold in Pittsburgh itself.  The Browns sellout their stadium every season.  And they do all of this despite not fielding a consistent winner in 15 years.
You do realize this is true, correct?
I don't believe that the Browns have the largest fan base in the nation for one second.

I don't believe that the Browns have the largest fan base in the nation for one second.
I'm sorry, I misread. ONE of the largest.

Spoken like a true loser.
I find this a little ironic, since division titles are about the only thing the Steelers can hang their hat on in recent years. And the Bengals have been to the Super Bowl twice after 1979, the Steelers one time.

Maybe, because they're a storied franchise, but I'd bet the Steelers, Raiders, Packers, Giants, 49ers, Cowboys, and maybe the Vikings, Patriots, and Dolphins are as big or bigger.

I find this a little ironic, since division titles are about the only thing the Steelers can hang their hat on in recent years. And the Bengals have been to the Super Bowl twice after 1979, the Steelers one time.
I don't think he was mocking the division title so much as the fact it didn't mean anything. I wouldn't be crowing about the Steelers' division titles either, if the Bengals had been making the playoffs as a wild-card and knocking them out all those years. If the Steelers had lost that playoff game against Cleveland back in the '02-'03 season, I wouldn't have been crowing to Browns fans about the division crown that year, that's for damn sure.

Maybe, because they're a storied franchise, but I'd bet the Steelers, Raiders, Packers, Giants, 49ers, Cowboys, and maybe the Vikings, Patriots, and Dolphins are as big or bigger.
I doubt that many teams. But to be honest, who really cares?

I don't think he was mocking the division title so much as the fact it didn't mean anything. I wouldn't be crowing about the Steelers' division titles either, if the Bengals had been making the playoffs as a wild-card and knocking them out all those years. If the Steelers had lost that playoff game against Cleveland back in the '02-'03 season, I wouldn't have been crowing to Browns fans about the division crown that year, that's for damn sure.
Agreed.

I doubt that many teams. But to be honest, who really cares?
They're likely in the top 10. But you're right, who really cares?

I was 5 when the Steelers won Super Bowl XII
I don't know why I couldn't let this go. I tried really hard but after reading it 4 or 5 times I had to comment. Dallas and Denver played in Super Bowl XII. I was 12. I always know what number Super Bowl we are on because it is my age. I know the Steelers won almost every other Super Bowl that decade, but it was not Super Bowl XII. Like I said, I don't know why I couldn't just let it go because I know it was just an honest mistake or a typo. Sorry!

I was 5 when the Steelers won Super Bowl XII
I don't know why I couldn't let this go. I tried really hard but after reading it 4 or 5 times I had to comment. Dallas and Denver played in Super Bowl XII. I was 12. I always know what number Super Bowl we are on because it is my age. I know the Steelers won almost every other Super Bowl that decade, but it was not Super Bowl XII. Like I said, I don't know why I couldn't just let it go because I know it was just an honest mistake or a typo. Sorry!
XIII - my bad, not XII.

I thought it was a rule that every Steelers fan had to have IX, X, XIII, and XIV tattooed somewhere on their bodies. How could you mess that up, Evilgrin?? :D

I thought it was a rule that every Steelers fan had to have IX, X, XIII, and XIV tattooed somewhere on their bodies. How could you mess that up, Evilgrin?? :D
It's tattooed on my sack, but I'm at work, so I can't exactly drop trou and look right now.

Steelers Bars

This is a list of "Steelers Bars" across the country, and at the end there are even about 15 international ones from Ireland to Iraq to Hong Kong.

I think in total it's somewhere around 250.
:eek: KBR MWR South Central Al Hillah, Iraq

Thanks for clearing that up, that's exactly what I was saying.

i was a fan of the Steelers as kid in the 60's when they were competitive doormats. I have been a fan as long as i remember. I live in the the Washington DC area becuase that were the Joc I have is. If I could find a Job in the Western PA area I would be there where terrible towel is standard equiptment for the region. One of the reasons theere Steelers Fans everywhere is because a lot of PA people are transplanted elsewhere. Also correct you it isn't just western PA that are Steelers country but eastern Ohio all of PA except the SE corner (Philthydelphia Fan) and NE Corner (Giants Fans) most of WV and A lot of western VA and western MD also. But sadly to say the transplanted fans don't aways have offspring that are Steelers Fans. I happen to have a son who bleeds Burgandy and Gold rather then Balckand Gold

i was a fan of the Steelers as kid in the 60's when they were competitive doormats.  I have been a fan as long as i remember.  I live in the the Washington DC area becuase that were the Joc I have is.  If I could find a Job in the Western PA area I would be there where terrible towel is standard equiptment for the region.  One of the reasons theere Steelers Fans everywhere is because a lot of PA people are transplanted elsewhere.  Also correct you it isn't just western PA that are Steelers country but eastern Ohio all of PA except the SE corner (Philthydelphia Fan) and NE Corner (Giants Fans) most of WV and A lot of western VA and western MD also.  But sadly to say the transplanted fans don't aways have offspring that are Steelers Fans.  I happen to have a son who bleeds Burgandy and Gold rather then Balckand Gold
Your son is a good man........sounds like he has his priorities straight......

Last edited by a moderator:
i was a fan of the Steelers as kid in the 60's when they were competitive doormats.  I have been a fan as long as i remember.  I live in the the Washington DC area becuase that were the Joc I have is.  If I could find a Job in the Western PA area I would be there where terrible towel is standard equiptment for the region.   One of the reasons theere Steelers Fans everywhere is because a lot of PA people are transplanted elsewhere.   Also correct you it isn't just western PA that are Steelers country but eastern Ohio all of PA except the SE corner (Philthydelphia Fan) and NE Corner (Giants Fans) most of WV and A lot of western VA and western MD also.  But sadly to say the transplanted fans don't aways have offspring that are Steelers Fans.  I happen to have a son who bleeds Burgandy and Gold rather then Balckand Gold
Your son is a good man........sounds like he has his priorities straight......
I would beat that kid with a broken bottle until he prayed to Mike Webster for absolution.

Users who are viewing this thread