What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do they need to know what guns I own? (1 Viewer)

It's unbelievable to me that gun owners would have an issue with this. They literally do not want to take even the smallest of steps to control gun violence. Just thoughts and prayers. Unreal. 
Also, moar guns. Everyone needs moar guns.

You know what helped even less ??

New Zealand's strict gun laws. 

Those laws that kept law abiding citizens "praying when shot in the head" rather than shooting back and defending themselves.
Would you like to compare new zealand's gun crime rate to ours?  

Yeah, I didn't think so 

Would you like to compare new zealand's gun crime rate to ours?  

Yeah, I didn't think so 
Well, right off the top of my head, I can think of 49 murders in New Zealand...

In New Zealand, law enforcement has the final say in whether a private citizen can own a firearm, but they cannot issue a firearm if personal protection is the reason for purchase.  I guess that committing mass murder is an acceptable reason to own a gun there. 

Personal protection is the ONLY reason I own guns.

...good call, New Zealand

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll have to register them every year.
Ok.  Pretty simple.  If I needed to do it I would easily keep a database.  Just added some mice steak knives at Christmas.  

I’d register my shot gun if I needed to as well.  I have zero fear of the government coming to take it away.

You'll have to register your kitchen knives every year and f you loan one to a friend or family, you'll have to do a background check.
other than the fact that this argument is resorting to being ridiculous, I don't have any problem with registering my kitchen knives. 

Ok.  Pretty simple.  If I needed to do it I would easily keep a database.  Just added some mice steak knives at Christmas.  

I’d register my shot gun if I needed to as well.  I have zero fear of the government coming to take it away.
Don't forget...you'll have to register them every year.

If you sell or loan any of you knives to friends or family, you'll have to do a background check.

If you take them in to get sharpened, only a licensed "knife sharpener" can perform the task.

You'll need to put a lock on your knife drawer and secure your dishwasher when washing knives....and you'll have to do it immediately after use...no leaving knives on the kitchen counter for later.

Hey...they're deadly weapons.

Don't forget...if you sell or loan any of you knives to friends or family, you'll have to do a background check.

If you take them in to get sharpened, only a licensed "knife sharpener" can perform the task.

You'll need to put a lock on your knife drawer and secure your dishwasher when washing knives....and you'll have to do it immediately after use...no leaving knives on the kitchen counter for later.
You love the ridiculous arguments don’t you?

But no, I wouldn’t have to do a background check as those aren’t required to purchase and own a kitchen knife.

This little argument is your usual fishing so I will leave you to it.

But no, I wouldn’t have to do a background check as those aren’t required to purchase and own a kitchen knife.

It has been stated that better control is needed for guns because they are considered "deadly weapons".  Knives are also "deadly weapons"

If laws are passed on guns because of their status of "deadly weapons", all requirements that are set for gus should be the same for kitchen knives.  They are both "deadly weapons".

You guys set the parameters.

As ridiculous as you see this argument...some see registering guns as just as ridiculous.

Whos "they" 

I havent posted that. 

Why do you generalize so much?
The people that have made the argument before. 

Because my generalization has been accurate about those who have argued about this with me before.

Has any other argument been made?  A poster above has asked multiple times with no answer.

I have no problem at all with background checks and I have no problem in waiting for that background check to be made.  Being born in Europe, I've had to wait every time I've bought a handgun.  I wouldn't mind waiting for a rifle purchase. I wouldn't care if it took a month.  I don't even care if you recheck me every once in awhile... Check away...check everything.  I don't want guns in the wrong hands and guns have never been an impulse buy for me. 

BUT...once those checks have been made and I've been given the green light to own guns....leave me and my guns alone. 

I do not want to take the time to re-register my guns every year and pay the price if I forget and I certainly do not believe, for one second, that some form of "gun confiscation" could NEVER happen....EVER!

From my understanding of the arguments:

1.  If they have the info the libs will come for the guns. 

2.  They are no more dangerous than kitchen knives, and we dont need to register them. 

3.  The personal responsibility crowd dont seem to think this reasoning applies to gun ownership if their gun gets stolen and it's not locked up. 

Imo I shouldn't have to register items that I purchased , and received as gifts from my parents 30+ yrs ago. There was no such law then, there's no such law today. 

Why should I have to take the time and spend the money to take my guns to a police station and be fingerprinted lol?

I've done nothing wrong 

Cowboysfan8 said:
Imo I shouldn't have to register items that I purchased , and received as gifts from my parents 30+ yrs ago. There was no such law then, there's no such law today. 

Why should I have to take the time and spend the money to take my guns to a police station and be fingerprinted lol?

I've done nothing wrong 
Because you're a law abiding gun owner and doing so may help law enforcement?  Gun ownership comes with responsibilities. Would registering be that much of an inconvenience?

Cowboysfan8 said:
Forgive me for going to the grocery store wtf
You're not the only one in this thread.

Opie said:
You know what helped even less ??

New Zealand's strict gun laws. 

Those laws that kept law abiding citizens "praying when shot in the head" rather than shooting back and defending themselves.
It’s laws are lax

Lutherman2112 said:
In this particular instance, the "they" relating to your OP would be the Pennsylvania State Police.

Do you live in Pennsylvania? I'm curious if this law directly affects you.
No, he said that's the only arguement "they" have

Yes

Lutherman2112 said:
In this particular instance, the "they" relating to your OP would be the Pennsylvania State Police.

Do you live in Pennsylvania? I'm curious if this law directly affects you.
Not at the moment...but being in the totally blue state of NM (the NYC wannabe state and literally LAST in everything)....it has been proposed.

Help law enforcement do what?

Not only is it an inconvenience, it's the gov't sticking it's nose in my business. That's my opinion.

Just because you disagree doesnt mean I'm wrong
It’s pretty funny.  The same people who think it’s too much of an inconvenience for some citizens to get an ID want people who own guns to register them every year. 

It’s pretty funny.  The same people who think it’s too much of an inconvenience for some citizens to get an ID want people who own guns to register them every year. 
I think its funny that people who buy items expressly made for killing don't want the government to know who owns them.

Really?

"In New Zealand, there are far more gun restrictions than the United States on average, although they might appear to be looser than some left-leaning states."
In 79 countries surveyed by the United Nations, firearm registration is the accepted norm and a cornerstone of gun control, according to GunPolicy.org. Among developed nations, New Zealand's decision not to register 96% of civilian firearms makes it a stand-out exception, alone with the United States and Canada

In 79 countries surveyed by the United Nations, firearm registration is the accepted norm and a cornerstone of gun control, according to GunPolicy.org. Among developed nations, New Zealand's decision not to register 96% of civilian firearms makes it a stand-out exception, alone with the United States and Canada
ah..the United Nations...gotta love 'em....maybe not.

If "killing" means "defending yourself and your family"....is funny....then, have yourself a good chuckle.
And what's your objection to registering?  Or is it just too much of an inconvenience? So far that's been the only argument. Assuming you're a law abiding gun owner.

Users who are viewing this thread