What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do we keep putting up with the South? (3 Viewers)

This thread reminds me why every time I hear someone with a Yankee accent I automatically subtract 30 IQ points from whatever they are saying.
Yeah all the dumb people are in New York City. Don't even get me started on all those dolts in the Boston area...

MAC_32 said:
shader said:
I'll never forget some cousins of my wife that came down from the north to the Nashville area for my wedding. They came expecting hicks, barns, outhouses and redneck propaganda everywhere, and found a place that was far nicer than most areas in the north. It was an eye-opener.

But keep on believing that it's back-woods down here!
Nashville is an awesome city. I hate everything nascar and am not a country fan and, still, awesome city.
What in the world does Nashville have to do with NASCAR? The only track in the area went bankrupt years ago because no one came to the races. As far as the south goes, Nashville has a very small NASCAR following.

MAC_32 said:
shader said:
I'll never forget some cousins of my wife that came down from the north to the Nashville area for my wedding. They came expecting hicks, barns, outhouses and redneck propaganda everywhere, and found a place that was far nicer than most areas in the north. It was an eye-opener.

But keep on believing that it's back-woods down here!
Nashville is an awesome city. I hate everything nascar and am not a country fan and, still, awesome city.
What in the world does Nashville have to do with NASCAR? The only track in the area went bankrupt years ago because no one came to the races. As far as the south goes, Nashville has a very small NASCAR following.
probably contributed to my experience then, I just assume every city south of the Mason-Dixon Line swears by that garbage.

I will never ever ever live south of Mason-Dixon or east of the Mississippi river. Can't handle the heat/ humidity or the politics. That said, I love me some Austin, TX and N'Awlins is probably my favorite American city (except maybe San Fran). Really enjoyed some places in FL too. The food, scenery (esp the women) and football are amazing. If only it weren't so damn hot...

What's funny is that this nonsense comes from guys that live in places like Ohio.

I've had the 'pleasure' of living in a major city in Ohio. After months upon months of living under the dreary grey skies and the lack of anything remotely unique or interesting happening around me, I couldn't wait to get back to God's country where the sun shines and the green grass grows.

They can believe we're characters out of Talladega Nights for all I care... just don't bring the pasty plus-sized women with you when you come to visit.

When I think of the South, it's not New Orleans, that may as well be its own country. Anyway love New Orleans, even like Nashville but overall not a big fan of the South.

I think I've spent enough time to form an opinion. Not a big fan of Atlanta, always found Charlotte to be fairly boring and those are some of the better places.

Should also add that South Florida also doesn't really qualify as the South. Again, it may as well be its own country, its different.

I am so happy to read you never plan to move anywhere near Cleveland.
Make sure to let me know when you come back to Nashville for a little vacation. Can't wait to meet you.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I think of the South, it's not New Orleans, that may as well be its own country. Anyway love New Orleans, even like Nashville but overall not a big fan of the South.

I think I've spent enough time to form an opinion. Not a big fan of Atlanta, always found Charlotte to be fairly boring and those are some of the better places.

Should also add that South Florida also doesn't really qualify as the South. Again, it may as well be its own country, its different.
If you try to judge the South by the glamour of its big cities, you're going to be disappointed.

Mister CIA's thoughts on American geo-culture:

South: People are a little dumb, but chicks are very hot. I live here and have found that life is much better if you ignore/avoid stupid people, and embrace hot women; sometimes I take one for the team and embrace a hot dumb woman.

Northeast: ####### goes to 11 here. Good luck trying to avoid #######s, they are everywhere.

Midwest: Polite but butt ugly - it's the climate, not the genetics. Winter sucks, don't ever move here.

Northwest: never been and nothing bad to say. I think I'd like it here very much.

Texas: I'll always love Texas. They got a few things wrong but they got a lot more right.

Florida: Bugs Bunny had the right idea.

ETA - Southwest - A-OK in my book

California - Tremendous amount of greatness which pales in the presence of sucky influential people.

My experience in the south has been decidedly different than what os portrayed by the OP and others in this thread. Granted, I currently reside in South Florida, or as I think of it, North Cuba, but growing up near Detroit, I can say that people in the South are far friendlier than the north, the women are more attractive ( my wife is from Indiana, so she's the exception proving the rule), the weather is much nicer, and I'd rather deal with a hurricane than a blizzard any day of the week. The only complaint I have is about modern country music. It's beyond awful. The artists all sound eerily similar, the subject matter is enough to make any sane person comtemplate a self-lobotomy, and the songs blend together so it's like a never-ending loop of horrible.

What's funny is that this nonsense comes from guys that live in places like Ohio.

I've had the 'pleasure' of living in a major city in Ohio. After months upon months of living under the dreary grey skies and the lack of anything remotely unique or interesting happening around me, I couldn't wait to get back to God's country where the sun shines and the green grass grows.

They can believe we're characters out of Talladega Nights for all I care... just don't bring the pasty plus-sized women with you when you come to visit.
Oh don't get me wrong, Ohio is the worst state in the union.

Oh don't get me wrong, Ohio is the worst state in the union.
Driving from Michigan to Virginia for college, Ohio is easily the longest section of the trip, and it's all boring. The state should have a wall built around it, and a bridge over it.

There is a lot to criticize about the south. But I'm still trying to figure out the horse racing dig. Did that originate in the south?

It sure is crazy. It's almost like we have a lot of stuff you need to run a country, like energy resources, climate and soil that allows near year-round farming of produce and livestock, industry, seafood, ports that lead to the inland Midwest, and massive amounts of unskilled labor and military volunteers.

It sure is crazy. It's almost like we have a lot of stuff you need to run a country, like energy resources, climate and soil that allows near year-round farming of produce and livestock, industry, seafood, ports that lead to the inland Midwest, and massive amounts of unskilled labor and military volunteers.
He didn't really mean the South, he meant Southerners. He's like Longshanks.

TheIronSheik said:
So far, Scoresman's rebuttals have been pretty good arguments. :thumbup:
I've just been taking it that this thread was a :fishing: all the way.

But I can still remember being at a large sit down dinner in NYC one time and heard exactly this kind of rant from a lifelong New Yorker. Sounded just like some inveterate racist talking hate as though it was the most natural thing in the world. Incredible.

Country music. :shiver:
And jazz. And funk. And R&B. And bluegrass. And rocknroll. And the blues. Pretty much the whole uniquely US songbook. Except for Sousa and show tunes.
Yeah they only have jazz in the south.
Oh, are we talking about things that only exist here? You guys should edit your bashing lists and take everything out.It was created here.
Good Lord, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread