What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do we live in a culture (1 Viewer)

Alexander Tytler: 'A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until a majority of voters discover that they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury.' Democracy evolves into kleptocracy. A majority bullying a minority is just as bad as a dictator, communist or otherwise, doing so. Democracy is two coyotes and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch."

People voting for what is best for them and not best for the country is what screws things up.

/thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexander Tytler: 'A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until a majority of voters discover that they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury.' Democracy evolves into kleptocracy. A majority bullying a minority is just as bad as a dictator, communist or otherwise, doing so. Democracy is two coyotes and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch."

People voting for what is best for them and not best for the country is what screws things up.

/thread
You will find no love here.

/thread
True. People are too busy out electing the representative that gets the bridge to nowhere built in their district.

/thread
This is why the Founders didn't create a democracy, but a Republic.

This is a common catchphrase among conservatives. And it may even be accurate on a technical/semantic level.But this country is still a type of democracy. Tytler's Theory still applies to us, because the people ultimately have the power to vote for what is best for them. They may not be able to vote for federal laws directly, but they do have the power to pick legislators who promise to vote for their selfish agendas.

This is a common catchphrase among conservatives. And it may even be accurate on a technical/semantic level.But this country is still a type of democracy. Tytler's Theory still applies to us, because the people ultimately have the power to vote for what is best for them. They may not be able to vote for federal laws directly, but they do have the power to pick legislators who promise to vote for their selfish agendas.
Tyler's theory does still apply, in major part because we changed our form of government by going to popular election of our Senators. But that doesn't mean we are a democracy in the pure sense of the word. We elect people to vote for us rather than voting on each issue individually by ourselves.My fear is that we will enter the next phase and start movong toward totalitarianism. Wouldn't be a bad thing if I were king, but if Obama was, that would be.

Except for the fact that Tyler never said that. It's a great quote but usually incorrectly attributed to Tyler.

bueno said:
Dr Zoidberg said:
bueno said:
Dr Zoidberg said:
Poeple like the OP and its supporters are whats wrong with our culture. Our culture is designed around getting ahead by stealing from others either legally/illegally or directly/indirectly.Then those theives turn around and call their victims irresponsible.You should be ashamed of yourself.
You are weird, sir.
no im right
I think to call everyone who has gotten ahead a thief shows a certain amount of jealousy on your part.
I think to declare thieves as being "ahead" without even considering contrary hypotheses shows a monumental amount of brainwashing. I've lived in penthouses and on communes. The communes have better people in them. 100% to 0. Cities are full of zombies. Places devoted to simplicity are full of the living. Those who look at lives and evaluate them economically are pieces of human ####.Zoidberg has the best post in the thread.
Stay enlightened bro...........the zombie will die soon enough.

/thread
Anyone who thinks there is much difference between any forms of government are deluded. "Government" is how they get away with maintaining monarchies in the modern era. All governments are still dictatorships and the labels they give to the SLIGHTLY different forms of slavery in guise of "government" is just a fabricated variety of products they can sell to us.People like the think they have a choice.

Offer them the same basic product in different forms of shiny packaging and they will eat it up with a spoon and beleive they are an individual whos voice is being heard when they are nothing more than resources of the elite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except it was more like Abbott and a damp sponge.

Perry: your hypothesis = society REWARDS irresponsibility.

Your premise = my company was irresponsible, therefore based on my hypothesis THEY the CEO must have been rewarded.
The CEO acted irresponsible by quiting the job after only a few months. The company rewarded the irresponsibility by giving him millions. Therefore irresponsibility was rewarded. The company rewarded irresponsibly.WHAT THE HELL IS SO DAM COMPLICATED ABOUT THAT?

Scotch Rocks = tool.

Your premise = my company was irresponsible, therefore based on my hypothesis THEY the CEO must have been rewarded.
The CEO acted irresponsible by quiting the job after only a few months. The company rewarded the irresponsibility by giving him millions. Therefore irresponsibility was rewarded. The company rewarded irresponsibly.WHAT THE HELL IS SO DAM COMPLICATED ABOUT THAT?

Scotch Rocks = tool.
scotch rocks = a progressive and productive member of society instead of a leech.

The CEO acted irresponsible by quiting the job after only a few months. The company rewarded the irresponsibility by giving him millions. Therefore irresponsibility was rewarded. The company rewarded irresponsibly.
Hypothetical: if the CEO had worked for free and refused all payments, would you still consider him to be irresponsible?

Users who are viewing this thread