What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why don't more fantasy leagues start 2 QB's? (1 Viewer)

i like to play in leagues where you are rewarded when your player is involved in a gaget play so maybe if you played in a league where your two qbs were on the same team and were on the field for a gaget play at the same time you would basicaly crush the league but unfortunately not many teams are running two qb magic show trickery sets although they sure should be take that to the bank brohans

A thought popped in my mind, I've never seen someone argue for a "Start 2 Kickers league"

"Start 2 defenses League" that's what IDP is for I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
A thought popped in my mind, I've never seen someone argue for a "Start 2 Kickers league"

Over at Phenom's, Unlucky has "deep" leagues(30 rounds) where you start 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 flex RB/WR/TE, 2 K, and 2 D/ST. That definitely makes for an interesting draft. Sometimes it's fun to get out of routine of standard starting lineups.BTW there's still room in Alpha 43. It's a slow draft so it would be nice to fill that league up so we could get started.

Im in a 2 qb league and we have done it for almost 10 years. We like it much better then one qb because people were just hoarding all the runningbacks when we first started. We now allow a max of 4 qbs but you can only draft three starters and 4th has to be a backup. Its worked out well. It also is only a 10 team league.

I've tried it, quickly got out of it although the league had other issues. It's lame on many levels, most of which have been already mentioned. Primarily, and compare it to FF if you like, it goes against the core, the essence of football. It's TOO far removed form actual football which has built its legacy through the ONE quarterback system. If people like it great, but I don't think it will ever be too popular.

I participated in my first, and likely last, 2 QB league last year. Did not enjoy it for numerous reasons.

What I don't understand is 4 pt TD pass scoring. But I've engaged in these arguments (QB scoring, PPR, etc.) too much over the years.

At the end of the day, different people like different things. Play in leagues with the scoring you like and leave it at that.

Because all these kids want to have "Dream Teams"

Yes, 2 QB's is great as are 14-16 team league teams.

I think 2 QB leagues are better suited for 10 man leagues. Loved it the 1 time I tried it, but I'd probably switch the scoring to 4 points per passing TD if I ever did it again.
Our league which is a 10 team have the scoring that you mentioned but we are required to start: 2QB/2RB/3WR/1TE.I ended up drafting Brady in the 1st and Strafford in the 6th to win the league that year.Before that I ended up drafting my QB late usually around 9/10 as still able to win the league.

Have always played in 2 QB leagues; one 12, one 10.

12 people makes it tough but there are always bottom end QBs that can be sold/bought for cheap to be bye week plugs if necessary or WW guys who are filling in a injured QB. And if you do have to take a 0 for that spot, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Adds a lot of trading to the league.

We've always had capped rosters at the QB position. 3 max in a 12 team league and 4 in a 10 team league.

Scoring has to be scaled back. We use 3pt passing TDs and 1pt per 20 yards. QB rushing TDs are 6. -1 per INT.

Is the 1 QB rule something people believe in because there's only 1 QB in a real NFL game?
Well, yeah. The idea is to field a fantasy team, after all. We're fake GM's/head coaches trying to replicate the real thing as much as possible, right?If you want to accommodate the value of particular positions as they rise and fall over time, tweak the scoring. I see no logic in adding a second QB - or a fourth WR, second TE, etc - just because that position happens to be stronger at that period in time.

Is the 1 QB rule something people believe in because there's only 1 QB in a real NFL game?
Well, yeah. The idea is to field a fantasy team, after all. We're fake GM's/head coaches trying to replicate the real thing as much as possible, right?If you want to accommodate the value of particular positions as they rise and fall over time, tweak the scoring. I see no logic in adding a second QB - or a fourth WR, second TE, etc - just because that position happens to be stronger at that period in time.
Yup.I don't see the point of having 2 QBs and then making pass TDs worth 3 pts. Why not just have one QB and all TDs 6?

But to each their own.

Yup.I don't see the point of having 2 QBs and then making pass TDs worth 3 pts. Why not just have one QB and all TDs 6?

But to each their own.
In my league with 3 pt passing TDs, 9 of the top 10 scorers were still QBs (and 19 of the top 30). Any QB playing near a full season would beat out basically every other player with 6 pt passing TDs. Hell, Rodgers would have had double the points of the #1 RB in our league with 6pt passing TDs. Starting 2 QBs with 6pt TDs would make the rest of your roster virtually worthless if you didn't adjust the scoring. It also makes it tougher to draft/auction a complete lineup. On top of that, you need the extra in-season management to cover bye weeks in 12 team leagues.

It really isn't for guppies which is why most people can't handle it. No big deal.

But to each their own.
In my league with 3 pt passing TDs, 9 of the top 10 scorers were still QBs (and 19 of the top 30). Any QB playing near a full season would beat out basically every other player with 6 pt passing TDs. Hell, Rodgers would have had double the points of the #1 RB in our league with 6pt passing TDs. Starting 2 QBs with 6pt TDs would make the rest of your roster virtually worthless if you didn't adjust the scoring. It also makes it tougher to draft/auction a complete lineup. On top of that, you need the extra in-season management to cover bye weeks in 12 team leagues.

It really isn't for guppies which is why most people can't handle it. No big deal.
My point was that instead of 2 QBs at 3 pt TDs why not just do 1 QB with 6 pts All TDs. 2 Qbs with 6 pts was not part of the equation.And the guppy comment. LMAO. Now we're playing the "my league scoring is superior to yours card."

I've played in a 2 QB league, it has nothing to do with what people can "handle" or not. It's fantasy football, not quantum physics.

Bottom line is some people enjoy certain scoring/formats while other people don't. Personally, I don't like 2 QB leagues. But again, to each their own. Sure you have to manage your draft/roster/waiver wire differently but please don't act like it's that much tougher to manage. It's not.

But to each their own.

My point was that instead of 2 QBs at 3 pt TDs why not just do 1 QB with 6 pts All TDs. 2 Qbs with 6 pts was not part of the equation.And the guppy comment. LMAO. Now we're playing the "my league scoring is superior to yours card."

I've played in a 2 QB league, it has nothing to do with what people can "handle" or not. It's fantasy football, not quantum physics.

Bottom line is some people enjoy certain scoring/formats while other people don't. Personally, I don't like 2 QB leagues. But again, to each their own. Sure you have to manage your draft/roster/waiver wire differently but please don't act like it's that much tougher to manage. It's not.
Its okay. Some people will never get.

But to each their own.

Its okay. Some people will never get.
Exactly. Cheers

Tired it once in a redraft league with 12 teams. Bye weeks become way too big of an issue for my tastes. QB hording screws teams over. I'd consider playing again in a 10 team league, but 12 doesn't do anything for me.
I'm in two, a 2QB dynasty and a QB-flex redraft.In the dynasty, starting QBs are worth so much it kind of works itself out. EG I traded Nicks, my WR1, in a package to get T-Rich as I had traded Peterson for Rivers and traded Turner for a 1st rd pick. Was hurting at RB before the trade and WR after. Despite Palmer not being a very hot item and long in the tooth, I got an offer of Wallace/Hunter for him and D. Brown within 6 hours of posting he was available. Just goes to show as long as people are willing to trade, you can do a 12-team dynasty 2QB league where everyone is decently competitive (well, except for the poor schlub who refused Palmer for Welker and Garrard who is now sitting their with P Manning and Kolb as his starters).In the redraft, despite having a second QB-flex spot, no team is allowed to carry more than 2 QBs at any time, which means that most weeks, there are 8 starting QBs on the WW. Eliminates hoarding and helps out the poor schmoes who wait too long on QB.I love both leagues, have been in both for years, and have always considered myself more of a RB guy.

Tired it once in a redraft league with 12 teams. Bye weeks become way too big of an issue for my tastes. QB hording screws teams over. I'd consider playing again in a 10 team league, but 12 doesn't do anything for me.
In the redraft, despite having a second QB-flex spot, no team is allowed to carry more than 2 QBs at any time, which means that most weeks, there are 8 starting QBs on the WW. Eliminates hoarding and helps out the poor schmoes who wait too long on QB.
I like that. If we were to go back to superflex (which I prefer over straight up 2QB), I'd definitely implement this rule.

Just don't like the idea. I like fantasy football simulating real football. There is typically only one QB on the field at a time.

How about rather than start 2 QB's, you do a FLEX that has the option of being a QB?I still don't think the bye weeks totally screw you in a 12 team league. It's never been an issue in my league. In my experience, no one really hoards that many qb's on their bench.
I play all kinds of leagues and lots of 2 qb leagues. It lowers strategy imo. It's mainly just about the qbs. You have Rodgers and Stafford? Book your ticket to a top 3 team, and if you're in dynasty, for the the next 10 years. Pretty much no matter what the rest of your team is, you are guaranteed a playoff spot. I find a lot of people like them because guys are too stupid to adapt and draft the same as a 1 qb league. If people have a clue it's okay for a change, but not great imo. It also really makes having a top 3 pick in a redraft so much more important. It's hard to compete at the end of the first with someone who is getting Rodgers, Brady or Brees early. I really don't like it. Nothing is as bad as leagues I've seen giving points for completions but it's pretty bad.

I have an open mind, but I think that leagues that start 2 QBs and leagues where you play more than one opponent in a week should be illegal and commissioners should be arrested without bail.
what don't you like about playing 2 opponents a week? I love it, just another game to follow..and if one opponent goes off, you still have a chance with the 2nd game. After playing2 games a week, I wouldn't go back.As for 2 QB's....I think a QB flex is the way to go. Owners have the option to draft very differently, just adds another twist.And while we are at it, I really don't understand why 10 team leagues don't go with 3 rbs. It just gives more RBs relevance and better for the owners whokeep up on everyone, not just the top guys.

How about rather than start 2 QB's, you do a FLEX that has the option of being a QB?I still don't think the bye weeks totally screw you in a 12 team league. It's never been an issue in my league. In my experience, no one really hoards that many qb's on their bench.
I play all kinds of leagues and lots of 2 qb leagues. It lowers strategy imo. It's mainly just about the qbs. You have Rodgers and Stafford? Book your ticket to a top 3 team, and if you're in dynasty, for the the next 10 years. Pretty much no matter what the rest of your team is, you are guaranteed a playoff spot. I find a lot of people like them because guys are too stupid to adapt and draft the same as a 1 qb league. If people have a clue it's okay for a change, but not great imo. It also really makes having a top 3 pick in a redraft so much more important. It's hard to compete at the end of the first with someone who is getting Rodgers, Brady or Brees early. I really don't like it. Nothing is as bad as leagues I've seen giving points for completions but it's pretty bad.
Not necessarily true, but we fine-tuned scoring to make top players at other positions almost equal to QBS in scoring. 12 players other than qb finished in the top 25 last year, and obviously had more separation at their positions. I've won quite a few times without drafting QBs all that early.For instance this year I've got the 7th pick. The top 4 QBs will go before I pick (Newton is being kept), and I should have whoever is left of Rice, McCoy, and Foster. No way am I taking Eli manning or Mike Vick that high. Most likely one of Eli, vick, Ryan, cutler, or Roeth will be there on the way back, and if they aren't, I'm looking at someone like CJ or McFadden or Calvin or Julio there, and I wouldn't blink at one of those either. By this point more than half of the league has 2 QBs and can't take another. I can grab someone like Dalton/Palmer/P Manning/ in the next two rounds and then grab one of the top two rookies much later. Still get some upside and have grabbed truly dynamic difference makers in the first two rounds. I'd be surprised if cutler went before it came back to me in round two.

Here is my idea to give qb's more value without forcing you to start 2. In my league we start 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX RB/TE/WR K DEF. (We went to the option of starting only 1 RB to avoid having 18 of the first 20 picks be rb's because you "had to have" 2 top rb's).

My proposal for this year is to allow a QB to be a flex play, but only getting 50% of their fantasy points for the week. So it still forces a decision on who to start at qb, and at the same time allowing you as an owner to play your best players instead of wasting them on the bench. I think this may be a great solution and hope it gets voted in to our league this season.

How do you think this will work?

Teams do play with 4 wr's and 2 te's......

'crazyleggs said:
Here is my idea to give qb's more value without forcing you to start 2. In my league we start 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX RB/TE/WR K DEF. (We went to the option of starting only 1 RB to avoid having 18 of the first 20 picks be rb's because you "had to have" 2 top rb's).My proposal for this year is to allow a QB to be a flex play, but only getting 50% of their fantasy points for the week. So it still forces a decision on who to start at qb, and at the same time allowing you as an owner to play your best players instead of wasting them on the bench. I think this may be a great solution and hope it gets voted in to our league this season.How do you think this will work?
1 RB?...yuck

I played in a backup QB league. Each team started two QBs and the highest one's score counted. This was done largely to prevent a loss that occurred when a QB went down early in a game. Why don't most leagues start two QBs? Many FFL websites lacks the flexibility necessary to set that up....

2QB works fine for a 10-team league, but for a 12-team league, I'd suggest using a 1 QB + 1 "Superflex" (any offensive skill position). This allows a little more flexibility if one of your QB's goes down to injury (and with 12 teams, there are rarely any starters on the waiver wire), plus it allows the occasional oddball strategy of 3RB's or 3WR's (it's an auction league, so it's possible to have 3 top-5's, which is about the only way to make those strategies viable).

I played in a backup QB league. Each team started two QBs and the highest one's score counted. This was done largely to prevent a loss that occurred when a QB went down early in a game. Why don't most leagues start two QBs? Many FFL websites lacks the flexibility necessary to set that up....
Any big site has the option for 2 QBs.

I think it's a little silly myself. No pro team starts 2 quarterbacks, why should a fantasy team do so?

This is just an aberration to get more points into play. Soon the starting rosters will include 5 WR's, 3 RB's, 2 QB's and 2 Flex options. While we're at it, why not include multiple kickers and defenses too.

Instead of 2 QB's just move to an IDP league. That should be plenty challenging for you 2 QB types.

I think it's a little silly myself. No pro team starts 2 quarterbacks, why should a fantasy team do so?

This is just an aberration to get more points into play. Soon the starting rosters will include 5 WR's, 3 RB's, 2 QB's and 2 Flex options. While we're at it, why not include multiple kickers and defenses too.

Instead of 2 QB's just move to an IDP league. That should be plenty challenging for you 2 QB types.
Hint: Because it is fantasy football. You aren't really putting together and NFL team. You are playing a game based on numbers.

Hint: Because it is fantasy football. You aren't really putting together and NFL team. You are playing a game based on numbers.
Then why bother with the formality of specifying how many players you can start at each position? Just have some number of total roster spots, which you can fill with whatever combination of positions you like - 10 RBs and two TEs, whatever. If the numbers work out, you win. Not very much fun, in my opinion.I come back to the idea that we should be building a simulated ("fantasy") NFL team, not just a random collection of positions. Do whatever floats your boat, but you're definitely straying from the original intent.

Then why bother with the formality of specifying how many players you can start at each position? Just have some number of total roster spots, which you can fill with whatever combination of positions you like - 10 RBs and two TEs, whatever. If the numbers work out, you win. Not very much fun, in my opinion.I come back to the idea that we should be building a simulated ("fantasy") NFL team, not just a random collection of positions. Do whatever floats your boat, but you're definitely straying from the original intent.
So you pick offensive linemen? Fullbacks? Punters? You can't simulate an NFL team without those guys. But I'm guessing you don't have those guys on your team.

So you pick offensive linemen? Fullbacks? Punters? You can't simulate an NFL team without those guys. But I'm guessing you don't have those guys on your team.
No, but that's beside the point. If you can figure out a way to score each position on the field, offensive and defensive, go for it - I wouldn't play in that league, but I'd understand it. What I wouldn't understand is rolling out two centers and four safeties, which would be the logical extension of what's being discussed here.I'm really not trying to pick a fight. I think it's interesting to analyze why we run our leagues the way we do, and what choices we can make to make them more entertaining and competitive. I'd rather tweak scoring and other settings rather than add duplicate/extra positions.

No, but that's beside the point. If you can figure out a way to score each position on the field, offensive and defensive, go for it - I wouldn't play in that league, but I'd understand it. What I wouldn't understand is rolling out two centers and four safeties, which would be the logical extension of what's being discussed here.I'm really not trying to pick a fight. I think it's interesting to analyze why we run our leagues the way we do, and what choices we can make to make them more entertaining and competitive. I'd rather tweak scoring and other settings rather than add duplicate/extra positions.
It isn't beside the point. If you want it as realistic as possible, you should be using all the positions otherwise you are using a terribly flawed argument. Just don't like using 2 QBs? Fine. To each his own. Leave the bad arguments out of it. You're picking players to compile numbers. That's it. Your team in no way resembles an NFL team.

For people arguing that you want it to be like real football, in the NFL, the starting QB is the most important player on the field. If you are in a 10 team league and only starting 1 QB, 1/3 of the leagues most important position isn't getting drafted! To put the importance of the QB to the forefront, you need to be starting 2 QBs in 10 team leagues. So it's not a QB draft only though, you need 2-3RBs and 3-4 WRs also plus possibly a flex depending on the RB/WR starters you go with.

For people arguing that you want it to be like real football, in the NFL, the starting QB is the most important player on the field. If you are in a 10 team league and only starting 1 QB, 1/3 of the leagues most important position isn't getting drafted! To put the importance of the QB to the forefront, you need to be starting 2 QBs in 10 team leagues. So it's not a QB draft only though, you need 2-3RBs and 3-4 WRs also plus possibly a flex depending on the RB/WR starters you go with.
Yeah, I really don't get this. Half the starting QBs are on waiver wire but people are stashing 4th and 5th string RBs on their rosters.

It isn't beside the point. If you want it as realistic as possible, you should be using all the positions otherwise you are using a terribly flawed argument. Just don't like using 2 QBs? Fine. To each his own. Leave the bad arguments out of it. You're picking players to compile numbers. That's it. Your team in no way resembles an NFL team.
Like I said, if we don't care that we're trying to emulate a team structure, if we just care about numbers, why bother with positions at all? Just draft the next guy on the overall rankings list, without worrying what position he plays. The reason we don't do that is it eliminates any draft strategy, which is half the fun. Limits on available positions are restrictions which require strategy to overcome. I prefer more limits, not fewer.

You can still draft as many QBs as you like in a start 1 QB league. Stash them all on your bench if you want. But what does it matter if some QBs go undrafted? You could say the same about every other position. Each team has the best players they could/wanted to draft at each position, so if a player is on the wire it's because they weren't valued enough at draft time. Why is that a problem?Again, if your goal is to account for the relative importance of one position over the other, in my opinion the ideal solution isn't to add more of that position, but to increase that positions's relative value by modifying its scoring.

Great discussion. Stumbled on this thread because I run a start 2QB league auction-draft leage and it has been very successful and was searching for others that had done one for success or failure stories. We actually start 2QB, 2RB, 2WR, 2TE, 2K, 2DEF + 3 FLEX (RB, WR, TE) and carry 10 extra bench positions, and it is a blast. One thing we are thinking of is switching the individual QB position to a Team QB (TMQB) position, therefore, you own all QBs associated with a particular NFL team, both starting and backups. We are doing this so that it further eliminates the possibility scoring a goose egg at that position, especially for in-game injuries. With this we would only allow a max of 3 total QBs, to cover byes. Still would make it so that teams are on their toes during the draft so that their byes are covered. Anyone ever use the TMQB position? (MFL.com supports scoring for this position)...

Over at Phenom's, Unlucky has "deep" leagues(30 rounds) where you start 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 flex RB/WR/TE, 2 K, and 2 D/ST. That definitely makes for an interesting draft. Sometimes it's fun to get out of routine of standard starting lineups.BTW there's still room in Alpha 43. It's a slow draft so it would be nice to fill that league up so we could get started.
This post made me cringe.

Users who are viewing this thread