What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is Medicare for all bad? (1 Viewer)

That's simply not true.  Canada for example was on board with the US importing drugs across the border.  

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/12/cory-booker-joins-senate-republicans-to-kill-measure-to-import-cheaper-medicine-from-canada/

Artificially closing markets to open competition is not capitalism.  Why are we able to have low cost and efficiency with virtually every other global market in existence except for healthcare?  
What part isn't true? 

To the bold, it's because our politicians have a lot of money dumped in their pockets by drug companies to keep things just as they are.  Drug companies love having the US in their back pocket as a way to "make up" for the profits they perceive they are losing in the rest of the world.  The example you provide is in support of my point, not detracting from it :shrug:   

The profit motive and healthcare seem to be mutually exclusive for good health outcomes. 
I’ve been a capitalist my entire life, I believe in the profit motive, and yet I can’t deny this fact.

The problem is that an insurance company makes money based on the principle that most people who buy insurance never use it; that’s how they make money. But health insurance, unlike fire or auto insurance, is something that everyone uses eventually. Therefore it can’t produce a profit without government involvement. 

You poor thing. The daily struggle must be so hard for you.
Never had an issue with you before, don't want one with you now. But this is the point in the conversation where the worm has decidedly turned from defending an argument to frustrated internet insults. I'm bowing out. Good day to you, sir.

I’ve been a capitalist my entire life, I believe in the profit motive, and yet I can’t deny this fact.

The problem is that an insurance company makes money based on the principle that most people who buy insurance never use it; that’s how they make money. But health insurance, unlike fire or auto insurance, is something that everyone uses eventually. Therefore it can’t produce a profit without government involvement. 
Turn the system on its head. When people oay insurance, they get coverage. The healthcare network that gets assigned their dollars gets a flat fee for the year. The incentive then is on keeping the person healthy, so they don't need service.

What part isn't true? 

To the bold, it's because our politicians have a lot of money dumped in their pockets by drug companies to keep things just as they are.  Drug companies love having the US in their back pocket as a way to "make up" for the profits they perceive they are losing in the rest of the world.  The example you provide is in support of my point, not detracting from it :shrug:   
You said a free market model by the US couldn't work with the global market, even though it does in just about every other imaginable way, because it'd be a square peg in a round hole or something.  You said that everyone else would have to be on board for it to work.  Yet Canada is on board with selling drugs at discount to US patients, even though the US doesn't have the same healthcare system.  It doesn't support your point at all. 

The reason we can't buy drugs from Canada isn't because markets don't work, and it's not because it'd be a 'square peg in a round hole'.  It's because politicians got a bunch of money from pharmaceutical cos. and shut down patients from having that choice.  

ren hoek said:
You said a free market model by the US couldn't work with the global market, even though it does in just about every other imaginable way, because it'd be a square peg in a round hole or something.  You said that everyone else would have to be on board for it to work.  Yet Canada is on board with selling drugs at discount to US patients, even though the US doesn't have the same healthcare system.  It doesn't support your point at all. 

The reason we can't buy drugs from Canada isn't because markets don't work, and it's not because it'd be a 'square peg in a round hole'.  It's because politicians got a bunch of money from pharmaceutical cos. and shut down patients from having that choice.  
I was reading your comments in the context of your entire post though I only quoted part of it.  Let me back up a second.  Without changing current Canadian systems and without changing current US systems an agreement between our two countries isn't a "free market" model.  It's not even close.  It's but ONE aspect of things that would have to change in order to get to the "free market" you seemed to be talking about.  Now, if you want to talk about specific trade agreements to make some aspects better between countries, then by all means.....let's talk about them, but it's not accurate to call that anything close to "free market".  That's an agreement between us and them.  That's pretty limiting.  Sorry, I wasn't clearer before.

Though a loud, long-time proponent of single-payer, i am not in favor of any attempts to implement it currently in America. The reason is simple - our original safety-net and elder-care programs were drawn up with a minimum of politics and in assiduous detail and they still developed cracks as time went on. To have such landmark legislation drawn at a time when most federal depts & agencies are having their regulations written by lobbyists for the industries  they regulate would be the ultimate in foolishness. There is no chance it would be anything but a template for further corruption.

In the name of doing it right, we should also take a look at how we currently consume healthcare. @rockaction sent me a wonderful tl;dr article that, while i didn't trust/agree with all of it, opened my eyes on how much being a patient has changed over my lifetime. I wish y'all would work your way thru (very readable, just long) to see how much the "i, me, mine" of the customer ethic has caused  inefficiency & cost to grow at a rate that competes with that of the industry itself. wikkid say check it.

Though a loud, long-time proponent of single-payer, i am not in favor of any attempts to implement it currently in America. The reason is simple - our original safety-net and elder-care programs were drawn up with a minimum of politics and in assiduous detail and they still developed cracks as time went on. To have such landmark legislation drawn at a time when most federal depts & agencies are having their regulations written by lobbyists for the industries  they regulate would be the ultimate in foolishness. There is no chance it would be anything but a template for further corruption.

In the name of doing it right, we should also take a look at how we currently consume healthcare. @rockaction sent me a wonderful tl;dr article that, while i didn't trust/agree with all of it, opened my eyes on how much being a patient has changed over my lifetime. I wish y'all would work your way thru (very readable, just long) to see how much the "i, me, mine" of the customer ethic has caused  inefficiency & cost to grow at a rate that competes with that of the industry itself. wikkid say check it.
Just saw this notification. Thanks for posting. I remember reading it and being really impressed that someone was able to put aside party and take a holistic look at what was wrong with our current health care situation. 

Matthias said:
The government does health care for the poor, the elderly, and the military. And you don't hear complaints. 
:lmao:

If you aren't aware of complaints about VA healthcare (military), Medicaid (poor), and/or Medicare (elderly), you aren't paying attention.

Guess how many of the last 200+ NEW drugs were created by funding from the NIH or NSF.

The answer to my question about the drugs is 100% of them.  Not a single one was created/invented by the private sector.  Private sector R&D goes almost exclusively to current drugs and figuring out how to tweak them slightly to make a "new" drug that they can patent and be the ONLY one on the market with.
From Who Funds Biomedical Research?

In a Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) study published in January 2010, the largest study to date to attempt to quantify U.S. funding of biomedical research by the pharmaceutical industry, government, and private sources, researchers estimate that U.S. biomedical research currently stands at about over $100 billion annually.

The pharmaceutical industry is the largest contributor towards funding research, funding over 60 percent. The government contributes to about a third of the costs, with foundations, advocacy organizations and individual donors responsible for the remaining investments.
Your comment above, where you say "created by funding from the NIH or NSF" is misleading. Government funding contributes primarily to basic research. Basic research is obviously necessary and funding that is very important, but a new drug cannot be brought to market based solely upon basic research. Additional applied research is required to do that, and the cost of that is greater than the cost of the basic research.

This idea that Medicare for All would make doctors paupers seems overblown at a minimum.
Paupers, probably not. But it is indisputable that doctors would make less in a "Medicare for All" system than they do in the current system. That is obvious by virtue of the fact that Medicare payouts to doctors are lower than insurance company payouts. That is why many doctors cap their number of Medicare and Medicaid patients.

It should be obvious and non-controversial that doctors making less will result in some number of people who may have chosen to become doctors choosing an alternative path instead. Especially when considering the education and financial commitment required to become a doctor. That, in turn, would logically reduce the quality of doctors to some degree. Maybe the reduction would be trivial, but it would be non-zero.

Medicaid for all is not bad. We are the richest country in history and pooling our resources for the common good is a wise move. 

I hope whatever it is you do for a living escapes the "vague moral high horse" clause of public opinion setting your earnings.

For $25/hr? Garbage men make about that much. They may run across an errant fleshlight bow with raccoon gnawings on it, but last I heard, if they aren't on their game for the day, they aren't killing someone. 
So garbage men are pulling in $250k+ now? Got it! Going to apply today.
So math is not really your thing?

From Who Funds Biomedical Research?

Your comment above, where you say "created by funding from the NIH or NSF" is misleading. Government funding contributes primarily to basic research. Basic research is obviously necessary and funding that is very important, but a new drug cannot be brought to market based solely upon basic research. Additional applied research is required to do that, and the cost of that is greater than the cost of the basic research.
The comment I was replying to was specifically in the context of the fear that drug companies would stop trying to find NEW cures.  They don't (rarely) do that now.  Period.  Full stop.  When it comes to new frontiers, they piggyback almost exclusively off research funded by our government.  That is where the new frontiers are forged...not the private sector.  This narrative that the private sector drives this aspect has to stop.  It's completely false.  What IS true is when companies see a way to make boatloads of money they will dump research dollars into it.  When they see a way to tweak something to make it different enough to get a new patent on an old drug to maintain exclusivity they dump money into the research.  Outside of that, they don't forge unexplored areas all that much.  The way we kill innovation is if we defund our research institutions.

It should be obvious and non-controversial that doctors making less will result in some number of people who may have chosen to become doctors choosing an alternative path instead. Especially when considering the education and financial commitment required to become a doctor. That, in turn, would logically reduce the quality of doctors to some degree. Maybe the reduction would be trivial, but it would be non-zero.
I have no problem with this outcome as it's a worthwhile tradeoff for a more extensive, more efficient, more transparent, and less burdensome health care and insurance system.

The $ hounds should choose a different career than helping heal the sick.

The comment I was replying to was specifically in the context of the fear that drug companies would stop trying to find NEW cures.  They don't (rarely) do that now.  Period.  Full stop.  When it comes to new frontiers, they piggyback almost exclusively off research funded by our government.  That is where the new frontiers are forged...not the private sector.  This narrative that the private sector drives this aspect has to stop.  It's completely false.  What IS true is when companies see a way to make boatloads of money they will dump research dollars into it.  When they see a way to tweak something to make it different enough to get a new patent on an old drug to maintain exclusivity they dump money into the research.  Outside of that, they don't forge unexplored areas all that much.  The way we kill innovation is if we defund our research institutions.
You are glossing over the fact that industry spends more than $60B annually attempting to bring new drugs to market.

Sure, the basic research is key to discovering most new cures. But that basic research does not result in new drugs on the market. The industry's investment is required for that, and industry is, by definition, for profit. Take away or reduce the profit incentive, and the industry investment will be reduced, which in turn will reduce applied research, which in turn will result in fewer new drugs reaching the market. This is another point that should be obvious and non-controversial.

The profit margin for pharmaceutical companies is also discussed like it is unreasonably high, but that isn't really true. The average profit margin for pharmaceutical companies is 12.5-14%. The average profit margin for a private physician practice is about the same, at 13-14%. If that profit margin is unacceptable for pharmaceutical companies, is it also unacceptable for physician practices? I don't often see people complaining about physician profits.

You are glossing over the fact that industry spends more than $60B annually attempting to bring new drugs to market.

Sure, the basic research is key to discovering most new cures. But that basic research does not result in new drugs on the market. The industry's investment is required for that, and industry is, by definition, for profit. Take away or reduce the profit incentive, and the industry investment will be reduced, which in turn will reduce applied research, which in turn will result in fewer new drugs reaching the market. This is another point that should be obvious and non-controversial.

The profit margin for pharmaceutical companies is also discussed like it is unreasonably high, but that isn't really true. The average profit margin for pharmaceutical companies is 12.5-14%. The average profit margin for a private physician practice is about the same, at 13-14%. If that profit margin is unacceptable for pharmaceutical companies, is it also unacceptable for physician practices? I don't often see people complaining about physician profits.
I also can agree that the reduced revenue for pharma and the attendant drop in research $ is a worthwhile tradeoff for the things I outlined above. Increasing access, reducing barriers to health screenings and preventive medicine, and reducing the likelihood of medical bankruptcy will be better for the populace than the next high priced cancer drug / treatment that works on only one specific type of cancer.

For $25/hr? Garbage men make about that much. They may run across an errant fleshlight bow with raccoon gnawings on it, but last I heard, if they aren't on their game for the day, they aren't killing someone. 
Garbage men have a higher fatality rate than police officers.

True story.

No...I addressed that in my initial post.  Approx 90% of that $60 billion for "new" drugs is simply new versions of the same drug, most of which the changes making them "new" are just enough to get new patents.  They are rarely substantial improvement to the drugs and their effects.  And we'll disagree that basic research does not result in new drugs on the market.  I provided links above (or maybe in one of the other threads, I've lost track) of how that government sponsored research is the fundamental building block for those new drugs.  Without that research and it's findings the drug companies would never have them because they aren't doing that sort of innovative research...which is basically my entire point to that specific part of his post.

Tom Skerritt said:
Guy says that garbage men are making as much (or more) as he does. And I’m pretty sure he’s pulling at least 250k as an anesthesiologist, maybe more. Guess logic is not your thing. 
He said $25/hr. That is $50K per year, not $250K as you posted. Guess neither math nor logic is your thing. 

The Commish said:
No...I addressed that in my initial post.  Approx 90% of that $60 billion for "new" drugs is simply new versions of the same drug, most of which the changes making them "new" are just enough to get new patents.  They are rarely substantial improvement to the drugs and their effects.  And we'll disagree that basic research does not result in new drugs on the market.  I provided links above (or maybe in one of the other threads, I've lost track) of how that government sponsored research is the fundamental building block for those new drugs.  Without that research and it's findings the drug companies would never have them because they aren't doing that sort of innovative research...which is basically my entire point to that specific part of his post.
So is it your perspective that the industry investment of $60B+ per year benefits only the pharma companies and not the world population? Should we just ban pharma companies and have the Govt be fully responsible for bringing new drugs to market?

The Z Machine said:
I also can agree that the reduced revenue for pharma and the attendant drop in research $ is a worthwhile tradeoff for the things I outlined above. Increasing access, reducing barriers to health screenings and preventive medicine, and reducing the likelihood of medical bankruptcy will be better for the populace than the next high priced cancer drug / treatment that works on only one specific type of cancer.
That’s fine for everyone who doesn’t really need those new drugs that will no longer make it to market. Not for those who do. 

So is it your perspective that the industry investment of $60B+ per year benefits only the pharma companies and not the world population? Should we just ban pharma companies and have the Govt be fully responsible for bringing new drugs to market?
Only?  No.  Primarily?  Absolutely.  Their investment is strategic in what's going to benefit the company first.  But I want to be clear.  This conversation started with the talking points about why Medicare for All is bad.  And one of the common arguments is "because if we move that direction, it takes the incentive for companies to innovate and create new drugs/cures".  I will push back on that every time because it's already not true that they spend their time in foundational science plowing new paths.  They don't.  That foundational work is done primarily in research labs funded by the government.

NONE of that is to say that these companies couldn't fill that role or that I think they shouldn't.  I suspect we'd be much further along if they did.  My point in engaging in that list was to push back on the poor argument that these companies would stop "innovating".  They won't.  With that talking point out of the way, we can move on to the others.

Even if all the fear mongering about the pace of pharma research slowing in a single payer system is true, the benefits of single payer still far outweigh any of the negatives.

Even if all the fear mongering about the pace of pharma research slowing in a single payer system is true, the benefits of single payer still far outweigh any of the negatives.
I have never seen a comprehensive study of what the specific pros and cons are that takes everything into account. By everything, here are some examples:

- How would it be implemented and managed? How can we be confident that the Govt can successfully implement and manage a program on that scale?

- What would happen to the current healthcare systems (VA, Medicaid, private/employer  insurance, etc.), and over what period of time?

- What would be the effect on the current healthcare providers, industry, and their roles in associated research and innovation?

- How would the massive cost be covered? Would it simply be additive and impact deficit, would other things be cut (and what, exactly?), would it require new/increased taxes (and how much?), or some combination?

- What improvement in healthcare outcomes would be projected? Not just talking more people covered, what are the improved outcomes in terms of better overall health indicators? (And please don’t reference other countries’ life expectancy and infant mortality rate, since the notion that the US compares unfavorably in those measures has been debunked due to apples to oranges comparisons.)

- What limitations (e.g., wait times, rationing, limitation on providers, etc.), if any, would be imposed?

Everything I have ever read on the subject is either biased and/or provides only a partial examination. Anyone have a link to a comprehensive examination?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never seen a comprehensive study of what the specific pros and cons are that takes everything into account. By everything, here are some examples:

- How would it be implemented and managed? How can we be confident that the Govt can successfully implement and manage a program on that scale?

- What would happen to the current healthcare systems (VA, Medicaid, private/employer  insurance, etc.), and over what period of time?

- What would be the effect on the current healthcare providers, industry, and their roles in associated research and innovation?

- How would the massive cost be covered? Would it simply be additive and impact deficit, would other things be cut (and what, exactly?), would it require new/increased taxes (and how much?), or some combination?

- What improvement in healthcare outcomes would be projected? Not just talking more people covered, what are the improved outcomes in terms of better overall health indicators? (And please don’t reference other countries’ life expectancy and infant mortality rate, since the notion that the US compares unfavorably in those measures has been debunked due to apples to oranges comparisons.)

- What limitations (e.g., wait times, rationing, limitation on providers, etc.), if any, would be imposed?

Everything I have ever read on the subject is either biased and/or provides only a partial examination. Anyone have a link to a comprehensive examination?
With your recent spate of postings I had assumed that you had already done comprehensive research. We have other, much longer and more detailed threads about this subject. Perhaps you could read through some of those and the links within them and get back to us.

That’s fine for everyone who doesn’t really need those new drugs that will no longer make it to market. Not for those who do. 
Like I said, that's a trade I'm willing to make. Those that without health coverage or would go bankrupt under our current system are a bigger problem than finding one more drug.

I can only speak for what I know in the state of Nebraska, but Medicaid for all is one of the initiatives on our ballot in November.  It is a two edged sword.  On one hand as an elected school board representative it is bad because it draws on the same source of funding that we draw on for education - and the history of Nebraska is when they need money they make cuts to education.  On the other hand, a students well being is paramount to ensuring they can achieve academic goals, so by not supporting medicaid for all then we are handicapping ourselves in an attempt to educate the kids because if they are less well then they are less likely to succeed in school.  When you look at these things they are very seldom isolated - if there were a magic supply of funding that did not hurt other areas then it would be a no brainer.  At the end of the day we either need to find better avenues of funding to do all the right things or reprioritize to do as many of the right things that we can.

With your recent spate of postings I had assumed that you had already done comprehensive research. We have other, much longer and more detailed threads about this subject. Perhaps you could read through some of those and the links within them and get back to us.
I have done plenty of reading on the subject, including different sources that address everything I listed. As I said, I have yet to find a single comprehensive source that presents all pros and cons without being biased, whether biased in favor or against.

If you are saying you know of such a source, please link.

Like I said, that's a trade I'm willing to make. Those that without health coverage or would go bankrupt under our current system are a bigger problem than finding one more drug.
That's great that you are willing to bet that neither you nor any of your loved ones will be the ones who need that next cancer drug that won't come to market in favor of broader coverage for others.

That's great that you are willing to bet that neither you nor any of your loved ones will be the ones who need that next cancer drug that won't come to market in favor of broader coverage for others.
But like he said, there is also the risk of a loved one not having insurance or quality insurance and going broke trying to pay to treat said cancer. Ideally, I think we would have a pool of money that all countries contributed to that funded medical RnD. Also is it possible that the universities can handle more medical research? Just some thoughts because you are right that the U.S. does a significant amount of research in this area and we don't want to see quality dip. 

Misfit said:
I’ll have to find the articles I’ve read on this, but I’m on my phone, but from what I’ve read the vast majority of pharmaceutical breakthroughs have come from public funding, whether it’s the government or university research. The problem is that the government is horrible at monetizing it. Pharmaceutical companies are far better at purchasing the rights to existing drugs and jacking up the prices than they are developing new drugs. 

I don’t have the answers on how to fix this but the benefits of potential innovation are outweighed by people with life threatening conditions being held hostage by drug companies
The innovation will not be with drugs and drug companies know this.

Paupers, probably not. But it is indisputable that doctors would make less in a "Medicare for All" system than they do in the current system. That is obvious by virtue of the fact that Medicare payouts to doctors are lower than insurance company payouts. That is why many doctors cap their number of Medicare and Medicaid patients.

I literally posted average salaries using the Canadian model most are using as a basis for Medicare for All and showed how much more Canadians were making than Americans in the same field. By the way if we get the tuition reduction we are fighting for perhaps doctors won't be as much in debt as they are.

I literally posted average salaries using the Canadian model most are using as a basis for Medicare for All and showed how much more Canadians were making than Americans in the same field. By the way if we get the tuition reduction we are fighting for perhaps doctors won't be as much in debt as they are.
A few things.

You did not link to a source for what you posted. Do you have a link? I Googled to see if I could find it and found these:

Canadian doctors still make dramatically less than U.S. counterparts: study (from 2011, but I seriously doubt this has changed dramatically since then):

Despite recent fee hikes, Canadian doctors still lag dramatically far behind their American counterparts in income, according to a new study that also underscores the wide pay gap in both countries between front-line “primary-care” physicians and much-wealthier surgical specialists...

Primary-care physicians include family doctors, pediatricians, internal-medicine specialists and obstetrician-gynecologists. Those in the U.S. earned an average after expenses in 2008 of $186,582, versus $125,000 in Canada, $159,000 in Britain and just $92,000 in Australia.
The problem of doctors’ salaries

There are two parts to the high pay received by our doctors relative to doctors elsewhere, both connected to the same cause. The first is that our doctors get higher pay in every category of medical practice, including general practitioner. If we compare our cardiologists to cardiologists in Europe or Canada, our heart doctors earn a substantial premium. The same is true of our neurologists, surgeons, and every other category of medical specialization. Even family practitioners clock in as earning more than $200,000 a year, enough to put them at the edge of the top 1 percent of wage earners in the country.
That last source also says this:

The other reason that our physicians earn so much more is that roughly two-thirds are specialists. This contrasts with the situation in other countries, where roughly two-thirds of doctors are general practitioners. This means we are paying specialists’ wages for many tasks that elsewhere are performed by general practitioners. Since there is little evidence of systematically better outcomes in the United States, the increased use of specialists does not appear to be driven by medical necessity.
This suggests that, even if Canadian general practitioners do make more than their US counterparts, that would still be an apples to oranges comparison, since Canadian GPs are responsible for more than US GPs.

I am also unclear on whether the salaries you cited were after expenses, including taxes, since Canadian taxes are much higher than US taxes.

Aside from all that, I'm not clear that your statement that "the Canadian model most are using as a basis for Medicare for All" is accurate. The Canadian model is one in which each province/territory administers its own plan, with funding contributed from the Federal Govt. The equivalent would be for the US to have each state administer its own plan with funding from the Federal Govt. I'm not aware that is a model that has garnered any serious consideration, but maybe I missed that.

I also found this while searching, and found it to be pretty interesting: Is Canada the Right Model for a Better U.S. Health Care System?

I have done plenty of reading on the subject, including different sources that address everything I listed. As I said, I have yet to find a single comprehensive source that presents all pros and cons without being biased, whether biased in favor or against.

If you are saying you know of such a source, please link.
So, nothing then?

Doing an old man a solid is cool. Having the ability to choose whether to do that old man a solid is even cooler. I've seen a lot of people get their bills waived (anesthesia bills separate from hospitals and other bundled charges) by anesthesia and surgeons both because it was a charitable thing to do.

my argument is just that these are people, just like you and me, not rich guys twiddling their handlebar moustaches, figuring out how to swindle granny out of her house for snake oil. They put a considerable amount of time and money into their training and work long, hard hours with a considerable amount of exposure to liability. They're making business decisions with billing, just like all of us do every day negotiating salaries or billing clients.

People insinuating they should just offer themselves up as sacrificial lambs of goodness to serve the community for low pay just come off as unrealistic, to me. Why would anyone do that? I know I wouldn't. I already made the decision not to become an RN over being an MD because my working career years versus debt load would have made the two choices almost even, and the amount of hours I'd have had to do as an MD made the choice an easy one. If you take away incentive for people to bust their asses to make more money, you're fundamentally breaking the system.
Anaesthetists in Canada are rich.  

Message to anybody who believes the Republican lie that they will protect pre-existing conditions: 

Pre-existing conditions can not be protected without universal healthcare. 

Period. Full stop. And yes this includes Obamacare. Obamacare can work only temporarily, it’s a band aid measure. In the end it can’t protect pre-existing conditions because private insurance companies cannot afford to charge everyone the same rate and stay in business. It’s as simple as that. 

If we are to protect pre-existing conditions, we have got to change over to some kind of Medicare for all system. There is no other way to do it. 

Message to anybody who believes the Republican lie that they will protect pre-existing conditions: 

Pre-existing conditions can not be protected without universal healthcare. 

Period. Full stop. And yes this includes Obamacare. Obamacare can work only temporarily, it’s a band aid measure. In the end it can’t protect pre-existing conditions because private insurance companies cannot afford to charge everyone the same rate and stay in business. It’s as simple as that. 

If we are to protect pre-existing conditions, we have got to change over to some kind of Medicare for all system. There is no other way to do it. 
They lie because they have multiple court cases against pre existing conditions.  Including one from Trump  This is not a debate.

I wonder how many millions of people are stuck in unhappy, soul sucking jobs simply because of the health insurance benefits they receive. I like my job quite a bit, but if there wasn't the health insurance component attached to that job, I would give serious thought to quitting to start something new

I wonder how many millions of people are stuck in unhappy, soul sucking jobs simply because of the health insurance benefits they receive. I like my job quite a bit, but if there wasn't the health insurance component attached to that job, I would give serious thought to quitting to start something new
I've opined before that single payer would be a boon to entrepreneurship in this country. American businesses are keeping a low profile, however, and many have suggested that it involves this very issue, that businesses fear a work force not hamstrung by employer based insurance. Not many of those people seem bothered by it to the extent that I am, though.

I've opined before that single payer would be a boon to entrepreneurship in this country. American businesses are keeping a low profile, however, and many have suggested that it involves this very issue, that businesses fear a work force not hamstrung by employer based insurance. Not many of those people seem bothered by it to the extent that I am, though.
Yep.  Healthcare is the 21st century company store in many ways.

Users who are viewing this thread