What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Rueben Randle? (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Giants OC Kevin Gilbride said Rueben Randle now looks "like a guy that has been here for five or six years."
As a rookie last season, Randle's work ethic, route-running, and precision were questioned. He's answered those queries in a hurry, starring in the offseason program while Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks sat out. "His whole demeanor, his whole professionalism, was outstanding," Gilbride said. Randle will come on as the outside receiver in all three-wide sets, kicking Cruz into the slot. There's plenty of sleeper appeal here.

Source: New York Daily News
Nicks is gone next year.

There's no way the Giants (a draft and develop team) are signing two wideouts to $7M+ annually. Nicks will almost certainly command more than Cruz unless he has a god awful and/or injury plagued season. And if that happens why would the Giants want to sign him for anything? That would mark four years of injury plagued seasons. I don't think there is any way the Giants keep him, especially with a promising young player that can play on the outside.

Randle has a ton of appeal here. He could be the dynasty equivalent of Cobb of last year (not performance wise, but being drafted in the 9th+ in dynasty startups and spring into the top 5 rounds next year).

Expectations this year should be kept in check, though. If Nicks is healthy I don't think Randle will get anything beyond 60 catches, since I see the offense as more balanced this year with Wilson.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bucs paid both their Wrs and I 'm sure if Nicks stays healthy, they will pay him because he flat out produces when healthy. Its always been the big IF with him but there is no denying the talent.

The Bucs paid both their Wrs and I 'm sure if Nicks stays healthy, they will pay him because he flat out produces when healthy. Its always been the big IF with him but there is no denying the talent.
Rotoworld:

Giants OC Kevin Gilbride said Rueben Randle now looks "like a guy that has been here for five or six years."
As a rookie last season, Randle's work ethic, route-running, and precision were questioned. He's answered those queries in a hurry, starring in the offseason program while Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks sat out. "His whole demeanor, his whole professionalism, was outstanding," Gilbride said. Randle will come on as the outside receiver in all three-wide sets, kicking Cruz into the slot. There's plenty of sleeper appeal here.

Nicks is gone next year.

There's no way the Giants (a draft and develop team) are signing two wideouts to $7M+ annually. Nicks will almost certainly command more than Cruz unless he has a god awful and/or injury plagued season. And if that happens why would the Giants want to sign him for anything? That would mark four years of injury plagued seasons. I don't think there is any way the Giants keep him, especially with a promising young player that can play on the outside.

Randle has a ton of appeal here. He could be the dynasty equivalent of Cobb of last year (not performance wise, but being drafted in the 9th+ in dynasty startups and spring into the top 5 rounds next year).

Expectations this year should be kept in check, though. If Nicks is healthy I don't think Randle will get anything beyond 60 catches, since I see the offense as more balanced this year with Wilson.
The Giants' window for another SB is getting narrower with Eli already 32. They are in win now mode, not signing Nicks because they *may* have something in Randle seems like a mistake to me. They should go all out to win now and deal with the fallout after Eli retires.

Just an FYI, Louis Murphy has looked great and is a giant(no pun intended) monkey wrench into FF plans for NYG WR right now.

A friend of mine said "he's been the best WR on the field many times so far...he's not supposed to be"

shorts versus pads, not actual games not even preseason games....I'm not jumping on any Louis Murphy bandwagon, but I wanted you guys to know so you could watch a guy this summer that you probably counted out like everyone else.
Have an link here by chance?

Angry Beavers said:
Just an FYI, Louis Murphy has looked great and is a giant(no pun intended) monkey wrench into FF plans for NYG WR right now.

A friend of mine said "he's been the best WR on the field many times so far...he's not supposed to be"

shorts versus pads, not actual games not even preseason games....I'm not jumping on any Louis Murphy bandwagon, but I wanted you guys to know so you could watch a guy this summer that you probably counted out like everyone else.
Have an link here by chance?
To my friend speaking?

There's enough on Louis Murphy if you google.

(For offseason workouts) Cruz and Nicks were out. Randle and Murphy ran with the 1s. In many of the Randle articles they even mention Murphy.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

the article actually pointed out that any of four WRs could be the Giants 3rd WR-the bulk of it praised Randle like this thread, but...some roto snipping going on

Rotoworld:

the article actually pointed out that any of four WRs could be the Giants 3rd WR-the bulk of it praised Randle like this thread, but...some roto snipping going on
Always a risk with the Rotoworld analysis and synopsis, so hence why it is always recommended to click on the linked articles!

Cheers,

Faust

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle "dominated" during Giants camp Monday.
Hakeem Nicks (groin) was limited, so Randle stepped up once again. He caught a long touchdown pass from Eli Manning and added another touchdown in red-zone drills. Randle has been drawing rave reviews from the coaching staff ever since the minicamp season and will have value as the Giants' No. 3 receiver this season. If/when Nicks misses time, Randle will be a very viable fantasy starter.

(Rotoworld) The New York Daily News considers Rueben Randle the No. 1 star of Giants training camp so far. Analysis: The Giants are just now beginning full-pad practicing, so take this with some built-in caution. But Hakeem Nicks' continued injury woes have given Randle "almost all the snaps with the first team," and he's responded with "sometimes spectacular performance." The Daily News has observed Randle getting open "even in double coverage," which is the sign of a potentially special receiver.

Looking really, really good! Just went over 100 yards on the night on 5 grabs, and getting a ton of snaps.

Starting him over Wallace next week without hesitation.

I liked him not only because of the talent, but because of Nicks' injury propensity and Cruz already having a dinged heel. However, if he can put up 100yds with both of them healthy, nevermind. He's flex worthy as is.

I liked him not only because of the talent, but because of Nicks' injury propensity and Cruz already having a dinged heel. However, if he can put up 100yds with both of them healthy, nevermind. He's flex worthy as is.
Yep. If one of the other two guys can't play some week, look out. My only concern is that the Giants went 3-wide most of the way because they were playing catch-up the whole time. On the other hand, their offense started to really click when he came in, so maybe they'll look to use him more no matter what the situation.

Yep. If one of the other two guys can't play some week, look out. My only concern is that the Giants went 3-wide most of the way because they were playing catch-up the whole time. On the other hand, their offense started to really click when he came in, so maybe they'll look to use him more no matter what the situation.
It will certainly depend on the situation/matchup if Nicks and Cruz stay healthy, but I think Randle has a role regardless. I also think NYGs LBs and DBs, so I guess back 7, are way below average. They may play catch up often.

If the WRs ahead of him are healthy, Im sure Randle is a bit hit or miss, but he will remain involved regardless.

Randle should benefit from their TE not being the greatest. Gmen usually have a good TE or one they think is that they throw to a bunch.

Can Nicks stay healthy this year and who is taking Randle as a handcuff? Not a Nicks owner but took a chance on him in the 11th of a 12 team keeper PPR.

I know this isn't going out on a limb but the Giants are going to let Nicks walk this offseason. They can't afford another high dollar receiver when they have so many holes in the secondary, the linebackers, and maybe even the running back. Randle is the guy to buy in dynasty

I could of sworn I saw Nicks limping a tad towards the end of the game last night, anyone else see that?

cr8f said:
Can Nicks stay healthy this year and who is taking Randle as a handcuff?
I don't "handcuff" WRs. And Nicks is in a contract year, so he may be more inclined to suck it up and get on the field. I'm not saying he intentionally dogged anything in the past, but it's just human nature to go all out when your future is on the line.

cr8f said:
Can Nicks stay healthy this year and who is taking Randle as a handcuff?
I don't "handcuff" WRs. And Nicks is in a contract year, so he may be more inclined to suck it up and get on the field. I'm not saying he intentionally dogged anything in the past, but it's just human nature to go all out when your future is on the line.
I have a feeling that Nicks somehow finds a way to stay healthy this year.

msudaisy26 said:
I know this isn't going out on a limb but the Giants are going to let Nicks walk this offseason. They can't afford another high dollar receiver when they have so many holes in the secondary, the linebackers, and maybe even the running back. Randle is the guy to buy in dynasty
I wouldn't be surprised. With Eli, Cruz, and Nicks, all that money wrapped up in the pass offense will significantly handicap them elsewhere. Their lines have holes too.

God, I hate this ####ing hobby sometimes.

Randle had a TD in 8,000 consecutive games, so I finally gave him a start.

Naturally, NO catches today.

:wall:

i target that was dropped.he was benched
This is false.. He was not benched.

It was not a very good throw it was behind him and should have been caught, but it did not get him in the dog house. Just an ugly game and there was very 3 wr sets. Jernigan was getting a few looks as well, but just chalk this up to the anomaly. He is the Wr 3 and this happens at times.

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle caught no passes on one target in Sunday's Week 8 win at Philadelphia.
Very, very strange. We didn't see any injury to Randle, but when Victor Cruz left for neck X-rays he was replaced by Jerrel Jernigan. It confirms the Giants don't see Randle capable of playing in the slot. Still, it was surprising Eli Manning didn't give his No. 3 wideout more chances to make plays as he had four touchdowns in the previous three games. We'll chalk this dud up as a little fluke for the weekly WR4 with upside. Randle is still on pace for 46 catches, 746 yards and eight touchdowns.

Had him the 1st 6 weeks, had to cut him, opponent picked him up off waivers and started him against me today...yeah it happened :)

Sorry RR owners better days ahead.

I'm cutting him out of spite, and it will make me feel good.

Truth be told, I only needed him to cover the byes this week. I could have inserted myself into the lineup instead.

WRs are gonna have down weeks from time to time. Especially if they're still in the process of developing.

I think the writing is on the wall though for dynasty purposes. Randle has shown enough to push Nicks out the door and once that #2 spot is all his he should be a very strong contender for top 20 FF numbers.

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle played on a season-low 36.8 percent of the snaps in Sunday's win at Philadelphia.
Randle's snaps were also down in Week 7, when he played on just 45.9 percent of the snaps against the Vikings. In the six games before these, he was up at 62.4 percent. The difference, of course, is that the 2-6 Giants actually had a lead for the vast majority of the past two weeks. It's meant less three-wide sets, more power football and less chances for Randle. The talented No. 3 wideout will be a far stronger fantasy play in games against the Packers (Week 11) and Cowboys (Week 12).

Source: profootballfocus.com

Randle has shown some really nice things so far this year; however, he's also given reminders that he's still young, maybe not-ready-for-primetime. A few too many (perceived) wrong routes (and interceptions on his targets), penalties, drops, mental lapses, etc. But, I think the talent is there to be a high-end NFL WR2, if he can become more consistent.

With the possibility of Nicks out due to what seems to be a groin injury, this obviously puts some emphasis in wanting to play Randle. Especially since its an NFC East showdown w/ the Boys...

See Nicks thread. Groin injury thought to be minor. He's likely to play and play well. He had 100 yards against Dallas in first meeting. Randle's still a desperation play to me and wouldn't roster him in PPR unless it's a pretty deep league.

With the possibility of Nicks out due to what seems to be a groin injury, this obviously puts some emphasis in wanting to play Randle. Especially since its an NFC East showdown w/ the Boys...
IF Nicks misses the game, yeah... Randle is a freakin must-start in this matchup. But it's premature to think he'll be out. He rode the bike at practice today and Coughlin didn't even mention him on the pre-practice injury report. But if Nicks plays, you can go ahead and pencil in Randle for his customary 3 catches. He has exactly 3 catches seemingly every week.

IF Nicks misses the game, yeah... Randle is a freakin must-start in this matchup. But it's premature to think he'll be out. He rode the bike at practice today and Coughlin didn't even mention him on the pre-practice injury report. But if Nicks plays, you can go ahead and pencil in Randle for his customary 3 catches. He has exactly 3 catches seemingly every week.
3 catches and Eli's only passing TD(s)

Yes indeed, but as long as he remains the #3 wideout, it's impossible to start him unless your team is ravaged by injuries. Those TDs are so random on a diet of 3 catches per week.... no way you can continue to count on him getting into the end zone on such limited catches.

Yes indeed, but as long as he remains the #3 wideout, it's impossible to start him unless your team is ravaged by injuries. Those TDs are so random on a diet of 3 catches per week.... no way you can continue to count on him getting into the end zone on such limited catches.
. I agree. I just find it fascinating that Randle has caught all of Eli's TDs since week 6. That is a bizarre anomaly

. I agree. I just find it fascinating that Randle has caught all of Eli's TDs since week 6. That is a bizarre anomaly
Kind of reminds me of James Jones and TY Hilton last year. Both guys led me to my championship.

See Nicks thread. Groin injury thought to be minor. He's likely to play and play well. He had 100 yards against Dallas in first meeting. Randle's still a desperation play to me and wouldn't roster him in PPR unless it's a pretty deep league.
You do realize that Randle has outscored Nicks this year?

You do realize that Randle has outscored Nicks this year?
Of course. By 6 points in one of my leagues. I wouldn't want to be starting either of them. But I am slightly concerned going against them this week

Can anyone explain why, in the midst of this string of productive games, he had that ZERO against the Eagles? He only got 1 target, and I seem to remember hearing/reading that Jernigan was getting more time in 3-WR sets than he was.

Did he get hurt, was he benched/punished, etc?

I started him that week (byes/injuries) & lost my game by 1/2 a point. Want to know if there was a reason for his disappearance in that game, and if I should be afraid of it happening again.

Can anyone explain why, in the midst of this string of productive games, he had that ZERO against the Eagles? He only got 1 target, and I seem to remember hearing/reading that Jernigan was getting more time in 3-WR sets than he was.

I started him that week (byes/injuries) & lost my game by 1/2 a point. Want to know if there was a reason for his disappearance in that game, and if I should be afraid of it happening again.
He goes by the name Brandon Boykin.

care to elaborate? How did Boykin get Jernigan onto the field ahead of Randle in 3-WR sets, or was that an inaccurate recollection on my part? If Boykin shut down Randle, as it seems you are suggesting, why did Randle go off for 90+yards and 2 TDs a few weeks prior?

care to elaborate? How did Boykin get Jernigan onto the field ahead of Randle in 3-WR sets, or was that an inaccurate recollection on my part? If Boykin shut down Randle, as it seems you are suggesting, why did Randle go off for 90+yards and 2 TDs a few weeks prior?
Sorry, I was wrong, Boykin was on Cruz most of the day. I really don't have a real explanation either for it. I am a big fan of Randle - drafted him frequently in rookie drafts last year - and I was hurt by that bagel that day too. Fletcher was matched up on him most of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread