What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Rueben Randle? (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle managed 27 yards on two receptions in the Giants' Week 14 loss to the Chargers.
Randle has been a boom-or-bust fantasy option all season, who's generally paid dividends whenever NOT expected to, and turned in clunkers whenever it looked like he was headed for a big game. This one was a very favorable matchup against one of the poorest pass defenses in football, and Randle couldn't convert. He'll be a much better WR2/3 next year, when Hakeem Nicks leaves New York.

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle managed 27 yards on two receptions in the Giants' Week 14 loss to the Chargers.
Randle has been a boom-or-bust fantasy option all season, who's generally paid dividends whenever NOT expected to, and turned in clunkers whenever it looked like he was headed for a big game. This one was a very favorable matchup against one of the poorest pass defenses in football, and Randle couldn't convert. He'll be a much better WR2/3 next year, when Hakeem Nicks leaves New York.
you aren't really going to post game results for every player in the league, are you?

Rotoworld:

you aren't really going to post game results for every player in the league, are you?
I appreciate what Faust does with his posts - eliminates a lot of my time looking at other sites.

Put this guy on ignore Faust and keep up the good work :thumbup:

Rotoworld:

This is the guy you pick a fight with? Faust is just about the only person who makes this forum worth coming back to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

This is the guy you pick a fight with? Faust is just about the only person who makes this forum worth coming back to.
I don't pick fights with anybody, but if you ever do get tired of bumping threads around here you could check this place out

I get their updates on my twitter timeline. I have no interest in actively posting on two FF boards.

Edit: can't type tonight.

Rotoworld:

Giants GM Jerry Reese said at the Combine he expects Rueben Randle to make a "significant jump" next season.
With the Giants moving on from free agent Hakeem Nicks, Randle is going to be the primary outside receiver in Ben McAdoo's West Coast offense. He had 41 catches, 611 yards, and six touchdowns despite only making three starts last year. Randle should see heavy targets as the No. 2 option behind Victor Cruz and is a major breakout candidate for 2014.

Source: NFL.com

Rotoworld:

Giants GM Jerry Reese said "the jury is still out" on Rueben Randle.
Reese said he expects Randle to make a "significant jump," but his lukewarm endorsement suggests he's not certain it will happen. That's probably due to a history of miscommunications with Eli Manning on option routes. New OC Ben McAdoo is expected to simplify the passing game, which should allow the highly talented and explosive Randle to just play. When the dust settles, we're expecting Reese to be plenty satisfied with Randle as a Hakeem Nicks replacement.

Source: New York Daily News

I'm probably the only guy that thinks this but I see Randle as Dwayne Bowe. It looks right and, sometimes, it will produce right, but as this team takes on its next identity, it will be a lot more "average" than "top 20 type guy".

I'm a bit concerned about this Ben McAdoo offense. I think they are going to try to turn Eli into Peyton-lite and I don't think that has ever been his game style.

Shutout said:
I'm probably the only guy that thinks this but I see Randle as Dwayne Bowe. It looks right and, sometimes, it will produce right, but as this team takes on its next identity, it will be a lot more "average" than "top 20 type guy".

I'm a bit concerned about this Ben McAdoo offense. I think they are going to try to turn Eli into Peyton-lite and I don't think that has ever been his game style.
I don't understand your logic, if they try turn Eli into Peyton then Randle would have more chances. If they went to more of a ground game then I would agree with you. Even if Eli fails at it and turns the ball over a ton it would still mean more chances for Randle and Cruz since the Giants would be down.

The reason Bowe didn't fair well this year was because of the lack of chances. He only had 103 targets. The short passing game doesn't fit him well, he has the talent.

Shutout said:

I agree with your assessment. I was a big supporter of Randle coming out of college. Was the number one recruit out of high school and held back by average QB at LSU. But once Jarrel Jernigan emerged in what should have been Randle's role last year, I soured quickly . Not to say he can't have a decent career and be a top 30 WR, but there are some red flags starting to pop up.

Shutout said:

I agree with your assessment. I was a big supporter of Randle coming out of college. Was the number one recruit out of high school and held back by average QB at LSU. But once Jarrel Jernigan emerged in what should have been Randle's role last year, I soured quickly . Not to say he can't have a decent career and be a top 30 WR, but there are some red flags starting to pop up.
As a Giants fan, Jernigan is or never was in the same role that Randle was playing. The two are completely different players. This year it is shaping up for Randle and Cruz to be the starting WR's, Jernigan will be the 3rd.

Jernigan had a couple of good games to close out the year. Those games happened without Cruz playing. In last years offense Jernigan fit in really well in the slot, a role that was occupied by Cruz.

The new offense is said to be more simple to bring down the turn overs that Eli struggled with last year. Jernigan is 5 foot 8 and made for the slot. I don't see a large role for him on a per game basis. The targets will not be consistent enough for him weekly. Randle on the other side of the spectrum is a going to start and all arrows are pointing for him to be a productive guy in both NFL and in fantasy.

Shutout said:

As a Giants fan, Jernigan is or never was in the same role that Randle was playing. The two are completely different players. This year it is shaping up for Randle and Cruz to be the starting WR's, Jernigan will be the 3rd.

Jernigan had a couple of good games to close out the year. Those games happened without Cruz playing. In last years offense Jernigan fit in really well in the slot, a role that was occupied by Cruz.

The new offense is said to be more simple to bring down the turn overs that Eli struggled with last year. Jernigan is 5 foot 8 and made for the slot. I don't see a large role for him on a per game basis. The targets will not be consistent enough for him weekly. Randle on the other side of the spectrum is a going to start and all arrows are pointing for him to be a productive guy in both NFL and in fantasy.
My apologies for not being more clear. By "stepped into his role" I did not necessarily mean the same exact position. I meant it more like if those two are the only two WRs on the field and Randle is supposedly such a better talent, shouldn't their stats emulate that? Maybe I missed something there, but Randle seemed poised to breakout during that stretch and all I saw was Jernigan.

Shutout said:

My apologies for not being more clear. By "stepped into his role" I did not necessarily mean the same exact position. I meant it more like if those two are the only two WRs on the field and Randle is supposedly such a better talent, shouldn't their stats emulate that? Maybe I missed something there, but Randle seemed poised to breakout during that stretch and all I saw was Jernigan.
Fair enough. In my opinion it was definitely more of a system at work than Jernigan stealing Randle's thunder. The slot WR in that system was and has always been heavily targetted and a big part of the offense. It started with Steven Smith, then Cruz and in a much smaller sample size Jernigan. The offense is going to look completely different this year, so it is tough to draw much conlcusion from those last few weeks of the season.

Big Blue Morning: Rueben Randle's time?

By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

In his media session Wednesday at the NFL owners meetings, New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin spoke of the departure of free-agent wide receiver Hakeem Nicks. A star-caliber wideout just two years ago while the Giants were making a Super Bowl run, Nicks punched his own ticket out of town in 2013 with a dismal free-agent year and is now an Indianapolis Colt. Coughlin said he wished Nicks well, and when the conversation turned to the question of replacing Nicks, the first name Coughlin mentioned was that of third-year wide receiver Rueben Randle.

"We have high expectations for Rueben," Coughlin said, according to the transcript Rich Cimini sent me. "Rueben has to continue to develop, continue to become a better pro -- focus, concentration, production on the field, consistency, day in and day out. Practicing. You’ve seen the plays the guy can make. He’s made great plays ... We have a lot of belief and stock in his development."

Randle is a third-year wide receiver, and everybody who plays fantasy football has been told that's supposed to be a big-leap kind of year for those who are going to make them. The Giants picked Randle in the second round of the 2012 draft because they thought he had the skill set of a first-rounder, but that his college production had suffered because a shaky quarterback situation at LSU. So he is a player of whom they have always expected big things.

On occasion in 2013, he delivered big things. Randle scored six touchdowns this past year, which was a whopper of a number for the 2013 Giants. No one else on the team scored more than four. He caught 41 of his 80 targets for 611 yards, and some of the plays he made were highlight-reel quality. But he also struggled at times to get on the same page as quarterback Eli Manning, and some of their difficulties in that regard led to interceptions.

Now, as you know, the Giants' offense is going to look a lot different in 2014, if only because of new coordinator Ben McAdoo. The old Giants offense under Kevin Gilbride relied heavily on option routes and the ability of the receivers to read the coverage the same way Manning read it from play to play. It's possible McAdoo's offense won't rely as much on that, and if that's the case it would address some of what went wrong between Randle and Manning last season. The flip side is that Randle, like everyone else, will be learning a lot of new plays and terminology this offseason, and if part of the issue is that he's a slow learner, that's bound to show up as well.

So we'll see. Randle has the size and skill to be a very good NFL wide receiver. He just needs to develop, which not everyone does at this very difficult level. The extent to which he can replace what Nicks used to give the Giants (as opposed to what he gave them in 2013) will go a long way toward determining whether the passing game can bounce back in 2014.

Five lingering questions: Wide receiver

Dan Graziano

Excerpt:

Nicks is gone now, off to Indianapolis as a free agent, and the only receiver the Giants signed is former Giant Mario Manningham, who spent the past two years fighting injuries in San Francisco. Manningham can't be counted on, which means Randle is the top candidate to step up and fill the role they hoped Nicks would fill last year. Randle hasn't yet shown the kind of ability Nicks showed when he was at the top of his game, but the Giants hope that a third year of development will elevate Randle to that level.

So, can he? Randle has the size and the physical skills for the job, but he struggled with the intricacies of the old offense. It's possible that new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo is implementing a simpler system that won't rely as much on the ability of the receivers to read defenses the same way Manning does at the line of scrimmage, and that simplifying things in that way will make it easier for Randle. But we don't know that for sure, and if Randle continues to run different routes than Manning expects him to run, Manning's not going to keep throwing him the ball. Randle remains the most important question mark at receiver.

Rotoworld:

Ex-Giants OC Kevin Gilbride may have hinted on PFT Live Monday that he left the team not sold on Rueben Randle.
It's worth noting GM Jerry Reese stated at the Combine that the "jury is still out" on Randle, and that he's not sure whether Randle is a No. 1, 2, or 3-caliber receiver. Gilbride told PFT that the Giants need to "get somebody that’s going to be productive for them as an outside receiver. Victor Cruz is terrific, but they need somebody that when they go match up, bump and run (and) go win." We'll find out more about the Giants' faith (or lack thereof) in Randle via the draft.

Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Ex-Giants OC Kevin Gilbride may have hinted on PFT Live Monday that he left the team not sold on Rueben Randle.
It's worth noting GM Jerry Reese stated at the Combine that the "jury is still out" on Randle, and that he's not sure whether Randle is a No. 1, 2, or 3-caliber receiver. Gilbride told PFT that the Giants need to "get somebody that’s going to be productive for them as an outside receiver. Victor Cruz is terrific, but they need somebody that when they go match up, bump and run (and) go win." We'll find out more about the Giants' faith (or lack thereof) in Randle via the draft.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants took Mike Evans at 12

Rotoworld:

This would be a very bad move. They have much more pressing needs and holes every where as opposed to going WR early. I would dislike this move a lot.

Rotoworld:

This would be a very bad move. They have much more pressing needs and holes every where as opposed to going WR early. I would dislike this move a lot.
Not to mention he'll likely already be off the board.

Rotoworld:

I didn't say I would like or that they should do it...I just said I wouldn't be surprised if they did

Rotoworld:

Do they though? What holes are they going to fill at the 12 spot where there is honestly a chance of a guy falling? No chance at OL. They could use some help on the defensive line and at linebacker but those holes aren't quite as big as we thought they were a month ago. They've made some good signings. No superstars, but some good players. Are you predicting them to trade back?

I don't see what's so bad about taking Evans if he falls to that spot even though it's doubtful. I wouldn't even hate them taking Allen Robinson at the 12 spot. I like Randle, but I don't think he has #1 WR talent. I think a real #1 with Randle and Cruz playing the roles they should be playing and they have a great set of WR's that are playing the spots they are best at. Randle has flashed some glimpse of greatness but he can't seem to do it on a consistent basis. Hopefully he turns it around this year.

steveski said:
Carter_Can_Fly said:
Yenrub said:
Rotoworld:

Do they though? What holes are they going to fill at the 12 spot where there is honestly a chance of a guy falling? No chance at OL. They could use some help on the defensive line and at linebacker but those holes aren't quite as big as we thought they were a month ago. They've made some good signings. No superstars, but some good players. Are you predicting them to trade back?

I don't see what's so bad about taking Evans if he falls to that spot even though it's doubtful. I wouldn't even hate them taking Allen Robinson at the 12 spot. I like Randle, but I don't think he has #1 WR talent. I think a real #1 with Randle and Cruz playing the roles they should be playing and they have a great set of WR's that are playing the spots they are best at. Randle has flashed some glimpse of greatness but he can't seem to do it on a consistent basis. Hopefully he turns it around this year.
The OL is below average and has no detph, the LB's are sub par at best. The TE's suck and the defensive line is living off of years past when Osi and company were around.

If either one of these 5 guys are on the board and they go WR I will not be happy and I am thinking at least 1 of them will be around for sure: Taylor Lewan OT, Eric Ebron TE, Aaron Donald DT, CJ Mosely ILB, Zach Martin OG.

Victor Cruz wants Giants to draft WR; what does it mean for Rueben Randle?

By Jordan Raanan/NJ.com

Armchair general manager is a popular hobby these days with the NFL Draft around the corner. While Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz didn't really want to go there, he eventually did, and the result was likely exactly what he was hoping to avoid.

Cruz stated on Thursday's "NFL Total Access" that the Giants "definitely" needed help on the outside at wide receiver. It once again left everyone wondering what the team currently has with third-year wideout Rueben Randle. Former offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride made similar remarks last week.

"[A big-play receiver] is something we need in this offense to be successful," Cruz said when pressed into answering where the Giants should go with the 12th pick in the upcoming NFL Draft. "I think an outside guy that can do the job and that can help fuel all the other receivers in the locker room and put some fire up under them to get them where they have to be, I think it will be beneficial to us."

When pressed for a name, Cruz mentioned Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans. The 6-foot-5, 231-pound wideout is generally considered the No. 2 player at his position behind Clemson's Sammy Watkins. Evans might not even be available when the Giants are on the clock at No. 12.

Cruz sees Evans being a player capable of filling a need after the Giants lost Hakeem Nicks as a free agent to the Colts this offseason. The Giants allowed Nicks to walk without making an offer.

"I try to stay far away from these decisions as a player, but I'll be true to you," Cruz said. "If I had my choice, if I had my pick, I think I'd go receiver. I think we should go receiver.

"I think we definitely need some help especially losing a guy like Hakeem Nicks, a big play guy in our offense. I know last year didn't dictate that but during his tenure with us, he was a big-play guy, big receiver, that got down the field, stretched the field."

It sounded at the NFL Meetings last month in Orlando that coach Tom Coughlin believed Randle could be that guy. Randle led the Giants in touchdown receptions last year with six, but also has been inconsistent with his route-running and there are questions about his reliability.

"Rueben, we have great expectations, high expectations for," Coughlin said. "Rueben has to continue to develop and continue to become a better pro -- focus, concentration, consistency, day in and day out, practice in and practice out.

You can see the plays he can make. He's made some great plays."

Randle himself even admitted he has significant work to do this offseason. He must prove to the coaches and quarterback that he can be a reliable option.

"Just gain the trust of the coaches, the players around me, Eli," Randle said earlier this week. "Like I said, continue to go out there and make plays and just get comfortable with the atmosphere around me."

Randle had an opportunity to get started early when Manning and some of his receivers met at Duke University for workouts earlier this month. The Giants' official offseason program began earlier this week.

But Randle couldn't make it to Duke because "something came up." He said he talked with Manning about it, and everything was clearly understood.

As it turned out though, Randle will have to wait a while before he's once again able to refine his timing and chemistry with the Giants' starting quarterback. Manning had ankle surgery immediately following the Duke workouts and isn't expected back in full until training camp

The missed Duke workouts turned into a costly missed opportunity for Randle.

"I do feel that it's something that I would love for all of us to be down there to do, but I understand," Cruz said. "It's a time that guys are getting themselves healthy, guys have issues with their families that they have to take care of and I understand that part of it.

"Certain guys couldn't make it due to that and I get it. I understand that you have to take care of your family, take care of what you have to take care of and when things happen, you have to take care of that. I wasn't mad. I obviously want everybody to be there but I understand. I wasn't feeling bad about anybody or mad at anyone."

It may just be another piece to the puzzle that has Cruz (and Gilbride) believing the Giants definitely need wide receiver help on the outside.

Where did this all come from? All I heard last year out of most people was that he's an up-and-coming stud and a lock to start opposite Cruz in 2014 as a guy who would be as good or better than pre-injury Nicks.

Now suddenly no one seems to think he's a starting WR and that they need Evans. WTF? It's like the most manic football opinion turn around I've seen in years.

People see a WR3 beating single coverage from CB3s and make all sorts of unfounded assumptions about what he's going to do in the future. This is just the bubble bursting.

I wouldn't go dancing on his grave just yet based on hearsay. I held Cruz in a couple leagues during his rookie season when he was sitting out with injury. I ended up cutting him in both of those leagues prior to the next season based on negative reports from mini camp and/or training camp. He went off for 1500+ yards that year. Point being, it's hard to call a guy a failure when he hasn't really had his full opportunity yet.

I don't see why Randle can't be a solid complementary starter for NYG. He has some height/weight/speed limitations that will prevent him from becoming a top #1 target, but I think everyone knows that already.

As far as the Giants go, it makes sense for them to draft another WR given that they just lost Nicks. They've spent a high-ish pick on a WR in the draft more often than not recently (Steve Smith, Sinorice Moss, Hakeem Nicks, Ramses Barden, Jerrel Jernigan, Rueben Randle). Gotta think they'll dip into this deep and talented class after not addressing the position with a high pick last year.

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle - WR - Giants
The Giants plan to rely less on option routes under new OC Ben McAdoo.
Old OC Kevin Gilbride's scheme employed heavy option-route concepts, which led to frequent miscommunications between Rueben Randle and Eli Manning, and discouragement with Randle among the coaching staff. (Randle was the intended target on a team-high eight of Eli's interceptions.) Beat writer Art Stapleton believes fewer option routes "should help" Randle. Despite mixed offseason indications, we like Randle's chances of breaking out as the best red-zone weapon and highest-ceiling wideout on the Giants' roster.

Source: Art Stapleton on Twitter

How much does drafting ODB hurt Randle's value? I thought he would be a possible #2 WR this year...now thinking #3 but maybe its an overreaction.....just can't see Eli feeding 3 WRs and running the ball as much as Coughlin wants.

How much does drafting ODB hurt Randle's value? I thought he would be a possible #2 WR this year...now thinking #3 but maybe its an overreaction.....just can't see Eli feeding 3 WRs and running the ball as much as Coughlin wants.
It is tough to gauge any of the WR's value for the Giants this year due to the new system. For all we know Randle could end up being better than both Cruz and OBD or he could end up falling behind them. McAdoo (new O coordinator) is coming from the Packers and I am sure he will run a lot of similar stuff as they were doing in GB. This means a base that has a ton of 3 WR sets and it is one of the main reasons the Giants picked a WR with their 1st pick in the draft as Jernigan is not a seen as an every down NFL WR. Cruz seems like the likely choice of top dog and will be the favorite coming out of camp no doubt but I don't think you can count out Randle just yet.

People are quick to fault a lot of Eli's ints on Randle last year, but Eli threw 27 ints and was just playing awful football. 8 of those ints were targets intended for Randle, but that still leaves Eli throwing 19 int's to other guys. Also, the O line play was dreadful which factored into a lot of the mess that was going on. The Giants have made moves to make the O line better and have also done away with all of the option routes as has been mentioned numerous times in any threads pertaining to the Giants players this year.

There were positives in Randle's play last year including catching 6 of Eli's 18 td passes on only 78 targets. For comparison sake Cruz caught 4 td passes on 122 targets.

It is said that OBD is starting out as the x receiver and Randle as the Z. I think the importance of being a key fantasy guy in this system though will be versatility and be able to play the X, Z or slot. For example, Jordy Nelson plays the X for the Packers, but his versatility finally happened last year and made him a stud by being able to play multiple positions in that offense. They started moving him around by choice plenty of times and not just due to the injuries last year with the Packers. I don't find it likely that OBD will be able to do that as a rooke and therefore I find him being the most inconsistent week to week for fantasy this year of the Giants WR's.

As I said it is tough to gauge how the targets will be split up for the WR's in this new system and offense but if I had to guess though the vets are probably going to get more targets over OBD due to NFL experience. It is rare that rookies bust onto the scene and are relevant and I see that as the case here.

It is tough to gauge any of the WR's value for the Giants this year due to the new system. For all we know Randle could end up being better than both Cruz and OBD or he could end up falling behind them. McAdoo (new O coordinator) is coming from the Packers and I am sure he will run a lot of similar stuff as they were doing in GB. This means a base that has a ton of 3 WR sets and it is one of the main reasons the Giants picked a WR with their 1st pick in the draft as Jernigan is not a seen as an every down NFL WR. Cruz seems like the likely choice of top dog and will be the favorite coming out of camp no doubt but I don't think you can count out Randle just yet.

People are quick to fault a lot of Eli's ints on Randle last year, but Eli threw 27 ints and was just playing awful football. 8 of those ints were targets intended for Randle, but that still leaves Eli throwing 19 int's to other guys. Also, the O line play was dreadful which factored into a lot of the mess that was going on. The Giants have made moves to make the O line better and have also done away with all of the option routes as has been mentioned numerous times in any threads pertaining to the Giants players this year.

There were positives in Randle's play last year including catching 6 of Eli's 18 td passes on only 78 targets. For comparison sake Cruz caught 4 td passes on 122 targets.

It is said that OBD is starting out as the x receiver and Randle as the Z. I think the importance of being a key fantasy guy in this system though will be versatility and be able to play the X, Z or slot. For example, Jordy Nelson plays the X for the Packers, but his versatility finally happened last year and made him a stud by being able to play multiple positions in that offense. They started moving him around by choice plenty of times and not just due to the injuries last year with the Packers. I don't find it likely that OBD will be able to do that as a rooke and therefore I find him being the most inconsistent week to week for fantasy this year of the Giants WR's.

As I said it is tough to gauge how the targets will be split up for the WR's in this new system and offense but if I had to guess though the vets are probably going to get more targets over OBD due to NFL experience. It is rare that rookies bust onto the scene and are relevant and I see that as the case here.
Great points and I agree.

This situation is basically impossible to predict. New OC/system and 2/3 of the WR's are unknowns. I'm hoping this new system helps Randle. He definitely has the talent and has shown it at times, but there were a lot of times where there was clear disconnect. I'm hoping that Randle was just having a hard time grasping his reads. With this new system, he shouldn't have to think as much. He should just be able to play. He appears to be the best redzone threat which is a big plus.

The other question is how often will they play 3 WR sets? If the new OC is any indication, it should be a lot, but there are other factors. If Randle or OBJ struggle this year, then what's the point of playing 3 WR sets if you only have 2 good WR's?

Or what if the line continues to struggle blocking?

There are a lot of moving parts.

To piggy back on what Carter_Can_Fly and steveski said.. its hard to predict how the WR situation will shake out but it been reported that new system is supposed to be easier for the WR to learn. “The route is the route” no options based on what the defense is doing like they had under Gibride which SHOULD lead to the WR’s being on the same page as Eli.

It could also mean that both Randle and Beckham can produce right away (if the reports that Beckham is already good at running pro routes is true and you believe what was holding Randle back was not fully grasping the Gilbride offense)

They started moving him around by choice plenty of times and not just due to the injuries last year with the Packers. I don't find it likely that OBD will be able to do that as a rooke and therefore I find him being the most inconsistent week to week for fantasy this year of the Giants WR's.
I agree with a lot of your points, but not this one. The main purpose of ODB's draft stock being as high as it was is because he can do exactly what you're saying he can't do. He's coming in as a pro ready receiver, with polished route running ability (most argue the best in the class) and a guy who had success at X, Y, & Z spots. The big thing for him was that he can play, presumably the whole field. Which is why I've stated strongly, I think he'll get the nod over Randle in any 2 WR sets. Randle is a lot more basic of a route runner, he won't be able to move around as easily.

They started moving him around by choice plenty of times and not just due to the injuries last year with the Packers. I don't find it likely that OBD will be able to do that as a rooke and therefore I find him being the most inconsistent week to week for fantasy this year of the Giants WR's.
I agree with a lot of your points, but not this one. The main purpose of ODB's draft stock being as high as it was is because he can do exactly what you're saying he can't do. He's coming in as a pro ready receiver, with polished route running ability (most argue the best in the class) and a guy who had success at X, Y, & Z spots. The big thing for him was that he can play, presumably the whole field. Which is why I've stated strongly, I think he'll get the nod over Randle in any 2 WR sets. Randle is a lot more basic of a route runner, he won't be able to move around as easily.
It is very tough to predict what type of success ODB will have in year 1 against NFL competition when at LSU he only caught 57 passes last year. It is a completley different beast as we all know.

I did not watch enough of him as LSU to really know one way or another if he is capable of making that jump in year 1. Even those that came before ODB who were said the most route ready college WR's struggle in their first couple years.

Rotoworld:

The Newark Star-Ledger projects Rueben Randle as the primary outside receiver opposite Odell Beckham, and expects the Giants to give Randle "the chance to prove he's an elite first-round talent at wide receiver."

Beat writers Jordan Raanan and Conor Orr project Randle and Beckham outside, with Victor Cruz at slot receiver. If Beckham ends up returning kicks and/or punts, Randle could also be the "starter" in two-wide formations opposite Cruz. The Giants are using three-receiver sets as their base offense at OTAs, so that point may be moot. As Cruz stands 6'0/206 and Beckham 5'11/198, 6-foot-3, 210-pound Randle is a good bet to lead New York in 2014 touchdown catches.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Jun 1 - 4:17 PM

What is this all about? Randle was drafted pretty high just a few years ago, didnt play much as a rookie and had a pretty good year last year playing on limited time showing up guys like Nicks.

Now because they draft a rookie WR people think this guy has little to no value. Tell me how many other WRs of quality did they have behind Cruz and Randle?

Isn't Cruz contract up next year? For a sight that is devoted to fantasy football and its science the writing on the wall is pretty clear and many are looking past it. With the new OC they are going to run a lot of 3 WR sets and they needed depth and a high level talent in case Cruz leaves or does not get renewed.

Randle is the tallest WR and has play making ability of his own who is most likely to take on the Nicks role outside from what the reports say. Just because someone was drafted high does not mean they will be good, D. Heyward-Bey.

What is this all about? Randle was drafted pretty high just a few years ago, didnt play much as a rookie and had a pretty good year last year playing on limited time showing up guys like Nicks.

Now because they draft a rookie WR people think this guy has little to no value. Tell me how many other WRs of quality did they have behind Cruz and Randle?

Isn't Cruz contract up next year? For a sight that is devoted to fantasy football and its science the writing on the wall is pretty clear and many are looking past it. With the new OC they are going to run a lot of 3 WR sets and they needed depth and a high level talent in case Cruz leaves or does not get renewed.

Randle is the tallest WR and has play making ability of his own who is most likely to take on the Nicks role outside from what the reports say. Just because someone was drafted high does not mean they will be good, D. Heyward-Bey.
The same could be said about Beckham.

The fact is that most WRs entering the NFL struggle. It is not common for a rookie WR to come in and be successful right away. Playing against college players is much different than playing against NFL defenses/defenders.

While I feel Beckham will be a good NFL WR, he is a rookie, and Randle SHOULD have more opportunity for success in 2014 (it remains to be seen whether he capitalizes on it or not).

People tend to get turned off after a guy was highly regarded as a break-out player and they did not exactly break out. That was the case with Randle and couple that with the Giants drafting a WR early this year and you have a player in a very good situation that is being underrated and somewhat forgotten about.

Randle just turned 23 on May 7th. He has 2 years under his belt and will be a starting WR in a good situation. I tend to think that Randle is going to make good of this opportunity and he will be the 2nd best pass catcher to own on the Giants this year by a good margin. Rookie WR's rarely if ever do well and ODB will be no different.

1. What is this all about? There are a lot of rumblings that the Giants aren't happy with Randle's work ethic. Resse and ex-OC Gilbride were both quoted making odd statements about Randle. Resse at the combine said "the jury is still out on Randle". Gilbride stated (prior to his retirement) that the Giants needed "to get somebody that's going to be productive for them on the outside receiver". Also a lot of things coming out that Eli and Cruz were lobbying hard for a first round WR pick. Victor Cruz also stated that "A big-play receiver is something we really need for this offense to be successful. If I were drafting and had my pick I'd take a receiver. I think we should go receiver". If they really thought that Randle was there guy, why would they be saying all of this? I'm not saying Randle has little to no value, I'm saying I think he'll act as the 3rd WR in the offense behind Cruz and ODB.

2. No, Cruz signed a 6 year $46 million dollar contract last season. He's tied up until the 2019 season. Cruz is going no where, he'll be a Giants until he retires probably.

3. This point makes no sense to me. Randle is the tallest receiver? Big deal, the height thing is overblown. It can help make up for some lapses in your ability but a great 5' 11" receiver is always going to be better than a decent-good 6'2" receiver. Let's also not ignore their vertical jumps. Beckham had a 38.5" vertical making his maximum height 9' 1.5" compared to Randle who had a 31" vertical making his maximum height 8' 9". Randle is also a full 0.1 seconds slower on his 40. And slower on his cone drills by almost a half a second. As for the 'reports' about Randle taking on the Nicks role. That's isn't really a report but more of an assumption. The reality of this all is that in the majority of the plays they'll be in a 3 wide set. So you'll have Beckham and Randle on the outside with Cruz in the slot. Which really means the opportunity will be there for both Beckham and Randle. One of them is likely to put up great production, and it's likely the one that's getting open the most and the most reliable. Randle wasn't reliable at all last season and he's certainly not as talented as Beckham. So my money is on Beckham to put up the better season than randle.

1. What is this all about? There are a lot of rumblings that the Giants aren't happy with Randle's work ethic. Resse and ex-OC Gilbride were both quoted making odd statements about Randle. Resse at the combine said "the jury is still out on Randle". Gilbride stated (prior to his retirement) that the Giants needed "to get somebody that's going to be productive for them on the outside receiver". Also a lot of things coming out that Eli and Cruz were lobbying hard for a first round WR pick. Victor Cruz also stated that "A big-play receiver is something we really need for this offense to be successful. If I were drafting and had my pick I'd take a receiver. I think we should go receiver". If they really thought that Randle was there guy, why would they be saying all of this? I'm not saying Randle has little to no value, I'm saying I think he'll act as the 3rd WR in the offense behind Cruz and ODB.

2. No, Cruz signed a 6 year $46 million dollar contract last season. He's tied up until the 2019 season. Cruz is going no where, he'll be a Giants until he retires probably.

3. This point makes no sense to me. Randle is the tallest receiver? Big deal, the height thing is overblown. It can help make up for some lapses in your ability but a great 5' 11" receiver is always going to be better than a decent-good 6'2" receiver. Let's also not ignore their vertical jumps. Beckham had a 38.5" vertical making his maximum height 9' 1.5" compared to Randle who had a 31" vertical making his maximum height 8' 9". Randle is also a full 0.1 seconds slower on his 40. And slower on his cone drills by almost a half a second. As for the 'reports' about Randle taking on the Nicks role. That's isn't really a report but more of an assumption. The reality of this all is that in the majority of the plays they'll be in a 3 wide set. So you'll have Beckham and Randle on the outside with Cruz in the slot. Which really means the opportunity will be there for both Beckham and Randle. One of them is likely to put up great production, and it's likely the one that's getting open the most and the most reliable. Randle wasn't reliable at all last season and he's certainly not as talented as Beckham. So my money is on Beckham to put up the better season than randle.
If Gilbride were still the coordinator, there would be no limit to how much I agreed with this post.

However, with a simpler WCO offense, Randle's size and ability to catch in traffic (the one thing I think Beckham won't be able to do well) will be great in the red zone. He doesn't have WR1 upside, but could be a solid WR2.

The questions about Randle and his work ethic happend extensively during his rookie year. Last off season and into training camp it was noted time and time again how good Randle looked and how hard he was working. Last years team was a mess due to dreadful play from the O-line, the qb and the WR's. I don't know how much weight can be put into that this year though with a brand new system and OC.

How many rookie WR's step in and produce? It is the biggest anamoly to do so. Therefore Randle will have a leg up on ODB. Not only will Randle have a leg up on him, but Randle is mentoring ODB...

Odell Beckham Jr. already has a mentor on the Giants -- former LSU teammate Rueben Randle. "It's been great with...

... Rueben. He kind of, when I came into LSU he taught me the ropes there," Beckham said on Tuesday. "He’s teaching me things now. He may not be (my) personal tutor but he’ll teach me what I need to know as far as the position that he plays and the opposite side as well. (And) it’s definitely comforting to have a piece of home out here in my new home. Just hanging out with him and kind of rekindling our relationship has been fun."

Saw some clips of the teams drills and Eli targeted Randle more than anyone from what I saw. Which its OTAs that can mean very little but its something I am taking notice of as reports speculate the same.

Rotoworld:

Giants WR Rueben Randle believes new OC Ben McAdoo's offense will allow him to think less about reads and focus more on getting open.

Randle struggled with the option routes in old OC Kevin Gilbride's system, and that lead to him frequently being out of sync with Eli Manning. That should not be a problem in McAdoo's offense. If he is allowed to simply go out and use his physical gifts, Randle has the talent to be a difference maker. He is a good bet to lead the Giants in touchdown receptions this season.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Jun 12 - 8:19 PM

Rotoworld:

According to NJ.com, Rueben Randle "continues to have a strong offseason."

All that public shaming of Randle by the Giants appears to have motivated the talented third-year player. He "seems to be running sharper routes and has displayed consistently strong hands." Randle is going to play the majority of snaps as an outside receiver in new OC Ben McAdoo's three-wide base, and is a serious breakout candidate. He consistently made "wow" plays in limited opportunities behind Hakeem Nicks.

Source: NJ.com

Jun 18 - 9:57 AM

I've been going back and forth how I've thought about him but I'm on board now. The talent is there and he has shown to have it at a NFL level. Where he is currently being drafted in both dynasty and redraft is borderline criminal. I got him in the late 12th in a startup, for example.

I think all the talk about them not being sure about him and Cruz wanting them to take a WR early in the draft probably had more to do with Randle not catching onto Gilbride's system rather than him not being talented enough.

You always have to take all the reports of him looking good in OTAs with a grain of salt because they say that about most people, but the fact that we know what he can do and that he will be given the opportunity to do it is a good sign for him. It means a lot more than hearing some guy is the "star at OTAs" but he's buried behind 3 other WRs.

Users who are viewing this thread