What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Rueben Randle? (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle - WR - Giants

Rueben Randle caught four passes for 49 yards in the Giants' Week 9 loss to the Colts on Monday night.

Randle and Odell Beckham each saw a team-high 11 targets, but Randle was locked up in Vontae Davis' coverage for much of the night. He also dropped a pass in the red zone on third down, forcing the Giants to settle for a field goal. Midway through the season, Randle is on pace for a 76-740-4 on 134 targets. That'd be a major disappointment on such a high target total. Only 14 receivers saw 134-plus targets in 2013, and 13 of them had 1,000-yard seasons. Randle is an inconsistent WR3. He'll dance with Richard Sherman and the Seahawks in Seattle next week.

Nov 4 - 12:52 AM

Randle is not a #1 WR. When Cruz went down, a lot of people assumed he'd step into that role. He just isn't clicking with Eli for whatever reasons. Hopefully ODB steps up going forward and Randle can go back to getting the sloppy seconds. We've already seen his ceiling and his floor isn't as good as we thought.

Bad game but Eli was off and Vontae was all over him....I would wait one more week before passing final judgment.

I really hope all of the FBGs experts are off of this guys jock. He was top 15 this week and it is obvious now there there is just no talent to work with. I am not blaming them entirely because who can be right all the time, but last night was a glaring example of total inability. From this point on, he should really be nothing more than wr 30 or below. He sucks donkey balls.

Well, early projections have in the top 25 for wr/rb/te, so maybe you are right. I watched the whole game last night and saw a player who is not special in any way and only gets points by virtue of his team sucking and having to throw the ball.

I will stand by my projection that Giants cut him after next year. He sucks.

Well, early projections have in the top 25 for wr/rb/te, so maybe you are right. I watched the whole game last night and saw a player who is not special in any way and only gets points by virtue of his team sucking and having to throw the ball.

I will stand by my projection that Giants cut him after next year. He sucks.
I meant he runs routes as well as a wall stud

FWIW, V. Davis has been shutting down his man all year. The only WR to truly break out vs. IND was A. Brown, and V. Davis exited that game early with a knee injury. I'm not saying Randle hasn't been utterly mediocre but he didn't really stand much of a chance vs. Davis. It's possible the experts were initially ranking Randle in anticipation of Davis missing the game.

FWIW, V. Davis has been shutting down his man all year. The only WR to truly break out vs. IND was A. Brown, and V. Davis exited that game early with a knee injury. I'm not saying Randle hasn't been utterly mediocre but he didn't really stand much of a chance vs. Davis. It's possible the experts were initially ranking Randle in anticipation of Davis missing the game.
I am talking about this week's ranking against Seattle and I watched the game and RR played like a little baby who was getting a spanking. He stinks.

I am talking about this week's ranking against Seattle and I watched the game and RR played like a little baby who was getting a spanking. He stinks.
Where do they have him ranked this week @ SEA? I don't really pay attention to any of their WR rankings save Dodds since they aren't terribly accurate.

The perfect player. Too bad to start, just good enough to waste a roster spot.

Perfecto!

meatwad1 said:
SameSongNDance said:
someones salty :lmao:

SameSongNDance said:
Yup.

It didn't help that the coaching staff continued to leave him outside against Davis vs. moving him around...like they said they were going to do.

Rotoworld:

Rueben Randle caught five passes for 39 yards in Sunday's Week 10 loss at Seattle.

Odell Beckham Jr. actually saw more of Richard Sherman than Randle. Yet Beckham was once again the one opening eyes with plays and showing far more chemistry with Eli Manning. Randle has now caught just nine of his last 21 targets and hasn't scored since Week 5. He'll be a weak WR3 against the 49ers in Week 11 -- Beckham is the No. 1 wideout for the Giants now.

Nov 9 - 8:20 PM

Rotoworld:

NJ.com's Jordan Raanan notes that Rueben Randle wasn't the first one to be late for a meeting this year, but was the first one to be benched for it.

It's interesting because it suggests there's more going on with Randle behind the scenes. Remember that this is a player who frustrated coaches by his inability to grasp the Kevin Gilbride scheme last year and is so often the target of Eli Manning's interceptions. It's possible Randle has made a habit of being late to meetings, or perhaps Tom Coughlin wanted to send a message to his 23-year-old receiver. Regardless, expect Randle to be back in the starting lineup for Sunday's Week 14 game at Tennessee.

Source: NJ.com
Dec 2 - 9:18 AM

Rotoworld:

Despite some run-ins with coach Tom Coughlin, Rueben Randle remains a part of the Giants' plans.

Randle was targeted 127 times in 2014, second-most on the team. But he produced just 71 catches for 938 yards and three touchdowns -- and also got benched twice for showing up late to meetings. Still, the Giants aren't going to give up on a 23-year-old talent who can really stretch the field. Randle won't get as many looks if Victor Cruz (knee) returns healthy to pair with Odell Beckham in 2015, but Randle will still be a factor as the No. 3 man.

Feb 24 - 9:58 AM

Rototworld:

NJ.com's Jordan Raanan was told "to keep an eye out for" Giants WR Marcus Harris in 2015.
The Giants were considering Harris for a starting role before a shoulder injury ended his season prior to Week 1. That was also before Odell Beckham Jr. blew up and became one of the NFL's best receivers. If Victor Cruz (torn patellar tendon) returns to his old form, New York is going to have a very deep receiving corps.

I was quite high on Randle heading into last year he did not end up being as good as I thought. However, here are some of my thoughts as a Giants fan and as a fantasy guy for who Randle is at the present time.

1) He is not a WR1 in the NFL. This is not super gloomy as he is going to be lined up on the opposite side of ODB.

2) He so far has lacked consistency week to week in fantasy and in actual NFL playing (still not sure if this is going to change heading into this year).

3) He ended the year very strong. In the final 2 weeks he had 12 catches for 290 yards and 1 td on 19 targets.

4) Although he was inconsistent he did catch 5 plus balls in half of the 16 games he played last year.

5) He still has youth on his side at 23 years of age, but if he does not take the next step this year then his value in dynasty is going to be bad.

6) He burned a lot of people last year that had him as a sleeper pick so his value is currently pretty low everywhere you look.

7) This offense is much better for Randle than Gilbride's was.

8) Cruz will start the year on the PUP and Randle will again have a shot to carve out the number 2 targets in this Offense which should lead to 130 plus targets.

9) He seemed to bounce back nicely after being benched for a quarter in week 13 and getting little looks in week 14 and 15. That could have went 2 ways. But as we saw week 16 and 17 were huge.

10) As inconsistent as his play was last year he has gotten better each year. Year 1: 12 catches for 298 yards and 3tds. Year 2: 41 catches 611 yards and 6tds. Year 3: 71 catches for 938 yards and 3 tds.

My take: Randle is flying a little under the radar at the present moment. As a 23 year old he was 26th in the NFL for wide receiver receiving yards, and 25th for receptions. He is currently cheap and it would not surprise me if he ended the year with a stat line of 78-85 receptions for 1050-1100 yards and 6-8 td's and finish some where around WR 13-WR 20.

It seems like you can buy him as WR 4/5 price in many places.

Week to week, it's not enough. He doesn't have that IT factor. Either Cruz or someone else will step in. He's quality depth

Week to week, it's not enough. He doesn't have that IT factor. Either Cruz or someone else will step in. He's quality depth
i feel the same way. He had so many targets last year and it just didn't translate into ff points

I have never understood the love for Randle. He's not a very good football player, runs sloppy routes, has inconsistent hands, and lacks any concept of what "my ball" even means. But, he's on the Giants which means he's given starter snaps whether deserving or not (how was Cruz ever able to emerge on this team when skill matters less than supposed pedigree?) so he's played more than Corey or Harris both of whom appear to have significantly more potential. Draft Randle as your WR2, 3 or 4 and your disappointment should be the same. He simply lacks talent.

Mara has hinted that this coming season, the team needs to make the playoffs. Otherwise Coughlin and possibly Reese might be gone. The only way they accomplish a playoff berth is through their receivers. I think the Giants take a WR at #9 in the draft because they can't count on Cruz to be the impact player he was. Also Cruz is getting close to 30 years old. Nor can they expect Randle to make a leap in his development. No matter how Randle does, it's unlikely that the Giants will be willing to give Randle the money he'll want when he hits FA next year.

Giants defense was one of the worst in the league last year and at best it may improve to around 20th for the coming season. For the Giants to make the playoffs they'll have to win shootouts during the season. Eli and the WRs are the best chance for that. Eli had his second best statistical year despite poor pass blocking, lousy running game, and a rookie phenom as the only weapon on offense that was of any concern to defenses.

I don't think Randle will put up better numbers than he has because I think they'll either draft a WR that will get more opportunities or sign a FA that will put up lousy numbers, but enough to limit Randle.

I have never understood the love for Randle. He's not a very good football player, runs sloppy routes, has inconsistent hands, and lacks any concept of what "my ball" even means. But, he's on the Giants which means he's given starter snaps whether deserving or not (how was Cruz ever able to emerge on this team when skill matters less than supposed pedigree?) so he's played more than Corey or Harris both of whom appear to have significantly more potential. Draft Randle as your WR2, 3 or 4 and your disappointment should be the same. He simply lacks talent.
This is not entirely true. There were only 4 wide receivers in all of the NFL last year that finished ahead of Randle in receiving yards that were younger than him: Sammy Watkins, Mike Evan, ODB, and Deandre Hopkins.

Now I get people like to hate on Randle but this is not some old washed up never has been. He is still growing as a player and he could still emerge into something useful for your fantasy team. He was 23 years old and he had 71 catches for 938 yards with 3 td's. He as outlined previously has got better each year. What is to say he does not take another step again this year?

For the price, he is worth the risk. If he amounts to nothing you did not have to pay much to get him.

I was quite high on Randle heading into last year he did not end up being as good as I thought. However, here are some of my thoughts as a Giants fan and as a fantasy guy for who Randle is at the present time.

1) He is not a WR1 in the NFL. This is not super gloomy as he is going to be lined up on the opposite side of ODB.

2) He so far has lacked consistency week to week in fantasy and in actual NFL playing (still not sure if this is going to change heading into this year).

3) He ended the year very strong. In the final 2 weeks he had 12 catches for 290 yards and 1 td on 19 targets.

4) Although he was inconsistent he did catch 5 plus balls in half of the 16 games he played last year.

5) He still has youth on his side at 23 years of age, but if he does not take the next step this year then his value in dynasty is going to be bad.

6) He burned a lot of people last year that had him as a sleeper pick so his value is currently pretty low everywhere you look.

7) This offense is much better for Randle than Gilbride's was.

8) Cruz will start the year on the PUP and Randle will again have a shot to carve out the number 2 targets in this Offense which should lead to 130 plus targets.

9) He seemed to bounce back nicely after being benched for a quarter in week 13 and getting little looks in week 14 and 15. That could have went 2 ways. But as we saw week 16 and 17 were huge.

10) As inconsistent as his play was last year he has gotten better each year. Year 1: 12 catches for 298 yards and 3tds. Year 2: 41 catches 611 yards and 6tds. Year 3: 71 catches for 938 yards and 3 tds.

My take: Randle is flying a little under the radar at the present moment. As a 23 year old he was 26th in the NFL for wide receiver receiving yards, and 25th for receptions. He is currently cheap and it would not surprise me if he ended the year with a stat line of 78-85 receptions for 1050-1100 yards and 6-8 td's and finish some where around WR 13-WR 20.

It seems like you can buy him as WR 4/5 price in many places.
:goodposting: Agreed. I'll take the over on 78/1050/6. He will be a good value this year; especially now that ODB will be drawing massive coverage after roasting the NFL last year.

From To Draft Tm Lg G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Y/G ▾ Ctch%

Antonio Bryant 2002 2004 2-63 TOT NFL 47 28 275 141 2095 14.86 12 44.6 51.3

Travis Taylor 2000 2002 1-10 RAV NFL 41 36 262 131 1705 13.02 12 41.6 50.0

Rueben Randle 2012 2014 2-63 NYG NFL 48 17 237 131 1847 14.10 12 38.5 55.3

People should take into account that this is year 2 in McAdoo's system. I think with a young player like Randle who is not an elite talent and has showed inconsistency in his game it should help him be more efficient which should lead to a better catch percentage.

Mara has hinted that this coming season, the team needs to make the playoffs. Otherwise Coughlin and possibly Reese might be gone. The only way they accomplish a playoff berth is through their receivers. I think the Giants take a WR at #9 in the draft because they can't count on Cruz to be the impact player he was. Also Cruz is getting close to 30 years old. Nor can they expect Randle to make a leap in his development. No matter how Randle does, it's unlikely that the Giants will be willing to give Randle the money he'll want when he hits FA next year.

Giants defense was one of the worst in the league last year and at best it may improve to around 20th for the coming season. For the Giants to make the playoffs they'll have to win shootouts during the season. Eli and the WRs are the best chance for that. Eli had his second best statistical year despite poor pass blocking, lousy running game, and a rookie phenom as the only weapon on offense that was of any concern to defenses.

I don't think Randle will put up better numbers than he has because I think they'll either draft a WR that will get more opportunities or sign a FA that will put up lousy numbers, but enough to limit Randle.
to be fair about it, the giants had half their team on ir last year

Lucky Dolfan 81 said:
:goodposting: Agreed. I'll take the over on 78/1050/6. He will be a good value this year; especially now that ODB will be drawing massive coverage after roasting the NFL last year.
yeah, because the guys playing the giants those last 4 weeks probably never heard of him, that's how he picked up 43 catches for 600 yds and 7 td in a month

Lucky Dolfan 81 said:
yeah, because the guys playing the giants those last 4 weeks probably never heard of him, that's how he picked up 43 catches for 600 yds and 7 td in a month
Even when it's sitting there available for people to see on video it's astonishing how many fail to see the WRs who are so gifted that they are always open.

Lucky Dolfan 81 said:
Even when it's sitting there available for people to see on video it's astonishing how many fail to see the WRs who are so gifted that they are always open.
well i guess ODB is going to go for 160/2400/28. He will break all the NFL records and there will be scraps left for Randle. i mean how can he not? he's always open.

Answering questions about Shaq Thompson, Rueben Randle and that Scherff guy

Excerpt:

Question: My question for you is "why is everyone so down on Randall?" He was much improved this year because McAdoo like Spagnola knows how to use a player to optimize his strengths as opposed to asking him to do things for which he is not suited. I believe he will be an important contributor this season. -- Nat Karol

Ed says:
Who is 'everyone?' And is everyone really 'down' on
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/154892/rueben-randleRueben Randle
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/154892/rueben-randle? Fact is, Randle is a frustrating NFL player. He's good at times, great at times, awful way too often and after three years in the league still irresponsible enough to land in Tom Coughlin's doghouse at times. Randle can be a huge asset to the Giants, but he can also be an underachieving pain in the backside. The mark of a real pro is consistency, and while Randle has spectacular moments and spectacular games he has yet to achieve consistent production. And, honestly, it has nothing to do with McAdoo. It has to do with the player growing up, learning how to take his job seriously, how to be a professional. If you want to say Randle wasn't suited for Kevin Gilbride's complicated passing attack I would agree with that, but that's not Gilbride's or Randle's fault. That's on Jerry Reese for bringing in a guy who played in a very simplistic passing attack in college and wasn't prepared to grasp what Gilbride was trying to teach. In the end, I think everyone -- including the Giants -- would just like Randle to be the kind of player he has hinted he can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

NJ.com projects Rueben Randle as the Giants' No. 2 receiver this season, ahead of rehabbing Victor Cruz.

Although his efficiency was lacking and his TD total (3) disappointed in 2014, Randle posted career highs on catches (71) and yards (938) and finished strong with Weeks 16-17 stat lines of 6-132-1 and 6-158. Still only 24 years old, Randle remains an ascending player and could end up as a late-round value pick in 2015 fantasy drafts if Cruz experiences any setbacks.

May 6 - 10:47 AM

Users who are viewing this thread