What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why was DeSean Jackson's touchdown celebration a penalty? (1 Viewer)

It shouldn't have been a penalty. Typical No Fun League stuff.
I agree. Why is a somersault bad but standing in the end zone and shaking your ### and pumping your fists ok? The NFL is so inconsistent with rules it drives me crazy. You don't want players celebrating then make it NO celebration of any kind--you score and you simply hand the ref the ball. No hugging no slapping no dancing no nothing. Or else give them a certain amount of time to do anything they want short of pushing the other team (real taunting) or something obscene.
Not to mention all the celebration that goes on after EVERY PLAY. After just about every defensive tackle or stop there's all kinds of posing and celebrating. Maybe next the NFL will penalize any type of emotion on the field. Just turn the players into a robotic disciplined machine that goes out and simply earns their paycheck.

Yeah, I'm probably getting to be an old fart by the standards of most FBGs, but the NFL is losing my interest, and a lot of it has to do with the "look at me" attitude of way too many players. Celebrating big hits 30 yards down the field when you are losing by 3 TDs, acting like you scored a TD after a first down, stuff like Jackson pulled last night...Makes me feel like I'm watching a bunch of selfish, spoiled children running around.If it wasn't such a big part of my childhood I probably would have already stopped watching.
The attitude is worse in the NBA. Which explains why people like me don't watch or follow the NBA. At least in the NFL the product, the games, mean something.

Last edited by a moderator:
that was awesome. cracks me up everytime i see that highlight.
:shrug: 4th Quarter of a tie game and DJax goes 70+ yards for the go ahead TD - he basically spins and dives into the endzone. Yep, nobody ever does that. :rolleyes: Dumb call. 15 yards for that? Please. No Fun League, indeed.

[serious question. Technically, can you taunt in the middle of a play?
Ever remember Deion Sanders high stepping with his hand behind his head while heading to the end zone?(don't recall if he was flagged or not)
I do. And he's probably a big reason rules have changed over the years. But I guess what I am asking is whether there's a difference as to when the taunting takes place. TO running to the star in Dallas is taunting but the play was over. A player taunting in the middle of a play, when he can still get popped and even fumble, may not be. Imagine last night that somebody sneaks up on Jackson as he's falling backwards in the endzone and pops the ball out and Dallas recovers. Is he still flagged for taunting? I doubt it but I dunno for sure. That's why I'm asking.

I think it's great when players get excited and pumped after making a big play.But it seems the shift has gone from celebratory excitement to "celebrate me".Football is a team game, and every time I see one of those guys to a dance, pump their arms, make a "Look at me" pose, I think... is this really what we want the NFL to be about?Not me.I'm glad the ref threw a penalty; it was taunting.Your Mileage May Vary.
To all the "taunting" guys, that wasnt the call. What is all this spirit of the rule stuff? Spirit of the rule didnt apply to the Calvin Johnson no catch or any other play. Either he broke the rule (falling to the ground during a celebration) or he didnt. He obviously didnt. There is no difference between his play and the MANY players who needlessly dive or even backflip into the endzone on a weekly basis. As mentioned before, the signals after meaningless first downs or defenders posing after every tackle are much worse. Singling out D.Jax like he is any different is crazy.

Ever remember Deion Sanders high stepping with his hand behind his head while heading to the end zone?(don't recall if he was flagged or not)
I do. And he's probably a big reason rules have changed over the years. But I guess what I am asking is whether there's a difference as to when the taunting takes place. TO running to the star in Dallas is taunting but the play was over. A player taunting in the middle of a play, when he can still get popped and even fumble, may not be. Imagine last night that somebody sneaks up on Jackson as he's falling backwards in the endzone and pops the ball out and Dallas recovers. Is he still flagged for taunting? I doubt it but I dunno for sure. That's why I'm asking.
This happened in a Dallas/Buffalo SB... Don Beebe ran down Leon Lett

Refs blew that penalty call. Celebration was during play, not after.

But DJax looks & sounds like a 12 year old the way he acted after the game during Vick interview. :rolleyes:
Yeah, that was so bad, I was embarrassed in my living room.
Anyone have a link? I missed the interview
Lousy video, but you'll get the gist.
Still has a bit of growing up to do...

What would the call have been if when he hit the ground in the end-zone, the ball jarred loose?

I guess he had already established possession and broken the plain..

[Did you see when they were interviewing Vick after the game? Jackson is standing next to Vick acting like a complete tool. The guy acts like he is 12 years old.
Anybody know if Andy Reid addressed it in the post game or today?

Yeah, I'm probably getting to be an old fart by the standards of most FBGs, but the NFL is losing my interest, and a lot of it has to do with the "look at me" attitude of way too many players. Celebrating big hits 30 yards down the field when you are losing by 3 TDs, acting like you scored a TD after a first down, stuff like Jackson pulled last night...Makes me feel like I'm watching a bunch of selfish, spoiled children running around.If it wasn't such a big part of my childhood I probably would have already stopped watching.
:rolleyes:

I was surprised his TD wasn't called back for holding or something...the refs were terrible last night. Trent Cole could have gotten seriously hurt by that facemask. Protecting players by ###..

:rolleyes:
My childhood was more the Michael Irvin/Deion Sanders era, so I'm not as put off.

Yeah, I'm probably getting to be an old fart by the standards of most FBGs, but the NFL is losing my interest, and a lot of it has to do with the "look at me" attitude of way too many players. Celebrating big hits 30 yards down the field when you are losing by 3 TDs, acting like you scored a TD after a first down, stuff like Jackson pulled last night...
To be fair, what Jackson pulled last night was celebrating the longest TD in the NFL this season, which broke open a tie game against a hated division rival. It clearly was a TD worth celebrating. Still, I think the flag was appropriate.

Exactly the player I was thinking of. People may have forgotten there's been some questionable actions (and immaturity) in the league a lot longer then DJackson. People were asking the same "what is the league coming to" since the '80s (and probably longer then that). I wonder how the uptight conservatives liked Nameth?

Yeah, I'm probably getting to be an old fart by the standards of most FBGs, but the NFL is losing my interest, and a lot of it has to do with the "look at me" attitude of way too many players. Celebrating big hits 30 yards down the field when you are losing by 3 TDs, acting like you scored a TD after a first down, stuff like Jackson pulled last night...

Makes me feel like I'm watching a bunch of selfish, spoiled children running around.

If it wasn't such a big part of my childhood I probably would have already stopped watching.
I agree with this. But Jackson had just scored the go ahead 70+ yard TD in a divisional rival's stadium. This was hardly Roy Williams giving the old "1st DOWN!" signal down 2 TDs when he had dropped the last two passes. Did he showboat a little? Sure. Was he probably a little extra fired up given the above circumstances? Most definately.

If the Eagles were up 30 at that point - throw the flag. If they were down 30 - it's just stupid. 4th quarter of a time game with a fierce division rival? Sorry, I have little problem with a guy being jacked up. I just have one question - how DJax get a flag when last week Stanton doesn't get a flag for that GAWD AWFUL dance? At least DJax's celebration didn't make me ashamed to be white. If they're going to throw a flag for DJax being goofy, then PLEASE throw a flag on Stanton for making my eyes burn.

Yeah, you are just getting old. The "look at me" attitude isnt unique to sports. Its now a cultural thing. Youtube, twitter, facebook, reality tv, are just a few of the many examples of societies change in this regard. So of course the players are just gonna follow along. And the majority of the population under 40 (current and future target market) have no problems with this kind of stuff.

To all the "taunting" guys, that wasnt the call. What is all this spirit of the rule stuff? Spirit of the rule didnt apply to the Calvin Johnson no catch or any other play. Either he broke the rule (falling to the ground during a celebration) or he didnt. He obviously didnt. There is no difference between his play and the MANY players who needlessly dive or even backflip into the endzone on a weekly basis. As mentioned before, the signals after meaningless first downs or defenders posing after every tackle are much worse. Singling out D.Jax like he is any different is crazy.
Agreed. Consistently please.

To be fair, what Jackson pulled last night was celebrating the longest TD in the NFL this season, which broke open a tie game against a hated division rival. It clearly was a TD worth celebrating. Still, I think the flag was appropriate.
How is that play any different from players that somersault into the endzone and NEVER gets called?

Yeah, you are just getting old. The "look at me" attitude isnt unique to sports. Its now a cultural thing. Youtube, twitter, facebook, reality tv, are just a few of the many examples of societies change in this regard. So of course the players are just gonna follow along. And the majority of the population under 40 (current and future target market) have no problems with this kind of stuff.
Understand completely. Which is why I'll probably just stop watching. Between this and the inconsistent officiating/fines, it's just not that enjoyable for me to watch the NFL any more. :crazy:

How is that play any different from players that somersault into the endzone and NEVER gets called?
It's more clearly taunting rather than celebrating, since you're turning around to look at the defenders.

While I don't particularly like the rule....he did break the rule. The rule is that you are not allowed to go to the ground to celebrate a TD. Some have argued that he had not yet scored before he was going to the ground.

Watch again. When he stretches the ball out...it crosses the plane...BEFORE he starts his fall. The TD occurs before he goes to the ground, so the call was technically correct.

Even if it hadn't, he broke the spirit of the rule and "deserved" the flag. As an Eagles fan, I was too happy about the score to kick a fart.

Ref made the wrong call by trying to label as it "going to the ground". If he had called it taunting I don't think this thread even exists. I'm willing to give him a pass for labeling it incorrectly. I'm not willing to give Jackson a pass. He was being a doosh.

Exactly.In my opinion the only reason a celebration should be penalized is...1. If it's obscene2. If it delays the game
Wow...this from an Eagles fan? I am SO surprised...
Other Eagles fans have chimed in with their disappointment in Jackson's behavior. Your blanket assessment is far from fair here.
I would feel the same way if it was a Cowboy that did it. Penalties for celebrating or showing off are stupid. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Exactly.In my opinion the only reason a celebration should be penalized is...1. If it's obscene2. If it delays the game
Other Eagles fans have chimed in with their disappointment in Jackson's behavior. Your blanket assessment is far from fair here.
Possibly, but my blanket assessment of that particular Eagles fan is spot on.

Ref made the wrong call by trying to label as it "going to the ground". If he had called it taunting I don't think this thread even exists. I'm willing to give him a pass for labeling it incorrectly. I'm not willing to give Jackson a pass. He was being a doosh.
Is Jared Allen a doosh for doing his rope 'em cowboy/jack in the box celebration after every sack? That seems worse to me as it is clearly pre-meditated but that never gets called either.

While I don't particularly like the rule....he did break the rule. The rule is that you are not allowed to go to the ground to celebrate a TD. Some have argued that he had not yet scored before he was going to the ground.Watch again. When he stretches the ball out...it crosses the plane...BEFORE he starts his fall. The TD occurs before he goes to the ground, so the call was technically correct.Even if it hadn't, he broke the spirit of the rule and "deserved" the flag. As an Eagles fan, I was too happy about the score to kick a fart.
But Packers are allowed to leap into the stands? What is the "spirit" of the rule and how do you know it is broken when you see it? I saw Tolbert score for SD and he stood in the end zone and shook his ### and arms. That isn't a "celebration"? Why?

D Jax is a moron. A very talented, very rich moron...but a moron nonetheless. Most td celebrations don't bug me, but that one was a clear indication of his prima donna nature. Right or wrong I applaud the officials for flagging him on it. Had a different player done the same thing I might well have a different opinion, but Desean's act has gotten old. Play the game and represent your team, not just yourself, for a change.

Possibly, but my blanket assessment of that particular Eagles fan is spot on.
Typical Browns fan. I'm SO suprised.

People are way overreacting. Now if I was a dallas fan, I'd be seeing red and wanting to kill him but I wouldnt care if there was a penalty called or not. This league is taken way to seriously sometimes and thats why I love it when guys like TO, 85, SS South and DJax decide to have a little fun. This is not the military. This is football. Its a game. Lets have some fun!

It's more clearly taunting rather than celebrating, since you're turning around to look at the defenders.
Forward somersault? No problem. Backward somersault? Taunting. Ok, that makes sense.

I would feel the same way if it was a Cowboy that did it. Penalties for celebrating or showing off are stupid. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
:lmao:

While I don't particularly like the rule....he did break the rule. The rule is that you are not allowed to go to the ground to celebrate a TD. Some have argued that he had not yet scored before he was going to the ground.Watch again. When he stretches the ball out...it crosses the plane...BEFORE he starts his fall. The TD occurs before he goes to the ground, so the call was technically correct.Even if it hadn't, he broke the spirit of the rule and "deserved" the flag. As an Eagles fan, I was too happy about the score to kick a fart.
But Packers are allowed to leap into the stands? What is the "spirit" of the rule and how do you know it is broken when you see it? I saw Tolbert score for SD and he stood in the end zone and shook his ### and arms. That isn't a "celebration"? Why?
They are celebrations. They just aren't excessive.

Lambeau Leap is okay because it's the Packers and is given a cute name.

Not okay to fall backwards into the endzone.

Okay to run through the back of the endzone and jump into the crowd. :lmao:

Is Jared Allen a doosh for doing his rope 'em cowboy/jack in the box celebration after every sack? That seems worse to me as it is clearly pre-meditated but that never gets called either.
Sure. Both are immature and necessary. Do you think that one unflagged act of self-centered dooshiness somehow forgives any other act of self-centered dooshiness?People keep labeling this act as a "celebration" in an attempt to forgive the taunting. Call it what it was. I understand that some would be just fine if the league allowed taunting. I'm glad that they don't.

My first line...I don't like the rule.BUT, they have specifically told players they would be flagged if they go to the ground in celebration. Players diving or flipping into the end zone get away with it because they leave their feet while still in the field of play. Jackson reached the ball across the plane (and thus scored) BEFORE he started his backwards fall...thus he was flagged. We can argue about the rule all we want to, but the ref made the correct call.Of much bigger concern to me is the non-call on flagrant unnecesary roughness to Vick earlier, or the blatant facemask by a Cowboys lineman after an Eagles defender caught a similar penalty, or how in the heck they called that key catch a catch after review clearly showed the ball moved in his hands and hit the ground. How about the ref watching Clavin and the Cowboys defender jawing and bangin helmets, the 'Boy giving Calvin a forearm shiver to the throat, and THEN deciding to step in and flag Calvin when he reacts to the throat punch. (To be clear, both players were at fault...it was HORRID officiating when the official watched the whole thing from 4 feet away.)Officials last night were terrible, but this is one call they TECHNICALLY had right.

Lambeau Leap is okay because it's the Packers and is given a cute name.Not okay to fall backwards into the endzone.Okay to run through the back of the endzone and jump into the crowd. :confused:
When they first discussed penalizing/reigning in celebrations, they decided to make an exception for the Lambeau leap because of it's unique nature to the stadium AND the fact that it's obviously NOT taunting....the same way they decided to allow spiking the ball or dunking it on the goalposts. The idea was to limit celebrations of a taunting nature.Dumb rule? Maybe...but still correctly applied last night.

Refs blew that penalty call. Celebration was during play, not after.

But DJax looks & sounds like a 12 year old the way he acted after the game during Vick interview. :confused:
Yeah, that was so bad, I was embarrassed in my living room.
Anyone have a link? I missed the interview
Lousy video, but you'll get the gist.
eh, he was just passing time for his own interview right afterI think those 1st down celebrations like the one that McCoy did at the end of the game, are in line with what Jackson did for his TD, yet those never get a penalty

Lambeau Leap is okay because it's the Packers and is given a cute name.Not okay to fall backwards into the endzone.Okay to run through the back of the endzone and jump into the crowd. :confused:
When they first discussed penalizing/reigning in celebrations, they decided to make an exception for the Lambeau leap because of it's unique nature to the stadium AND the fact that it's obviously NOT taunting....the same way they decided to allow spiking the ball or dunking it on the goalposts. The idea was to limit celebrations of a taunting nature.Dumb rule? Maybe...but still correctly applied last night.
When does a celebration turn into "a taunting nature" and why doesnt jumping into the stands or doing "the dougie" qualifty under your definition?

It does forgive it because rules need to be applied universally. If 20 players make in your words, "immature and unnecessary" acts during a game, you cant pick one out of the group and give him a penalty. If what D.Jax did was "taunting", the NFL does allow it multiple times per game.

Jackson reached the ball across the plane (and thus scored) BEFORE he started his backwards fall...thus he was flagged. We can argue about the rule all we want to, but the ref made the correct call.
Nope. Officials did not signal touchdown until after he fell into the endzone and stood back up.

edit...this board doesn't allow images?

I think if he goes to the ground with it anymore he will get a flag too.

Lambeau Leap is okay because it's the Packers and is given a cute name.Not okay to fall backwards into the endzone.Okay to run through the back of the endzone and jump into the crowd. :goodposting:
When does a celebration turn into "a taunting nature" and why doesnt jumping into the stands or doing "the dougie" qualifty under your definition?
Jumping into the stands is celebrating with the fans. Doing a dance is just that, doing a dance. Turning around, looking at your opponent, holding the ball out is taunting. Pretty simple. I'm not bothered by the celebrations but do understand the rules and why they draw a line with it. Jackson crossed that line last nite and got a flag. People can ##### and moan about this all they want. Nobody in the Eagles organization, including DeSean Jackson, are complaining about this being a penalty b/c it was an EASY call to make.

They are celebrations. They just aren't excessive.
So running through the endzone, flipping the ball into the stands then jumping up and being held onto by fans for 5 seconds isn't excessive, but DJAX turning around and falling into the endzone is? That makes a lot of sense. Lambeau Leap certainly delay's the game more than what he did. He didn't do anything else after he scored, there was no pointing/jawing/taunting by himself or anyone else. From the point of scoring he got up off the ground and ran back to his sideline. The 'going to the ground' call is ludicrous as probably 50% of the RBs in the league dive unnecessarily into the endzone. Can it really be described as taunting? What about LT's "premeditated" finger-roll every time he scores? Or Jared Allen's explosion thing? It's football: ENTERTAINMENT. NFL has no problem with the revenue a guy like DJax generates with his 'antics' but will punish him when he does something that gets fans talking. stupid.People need to lighten up. He grabbed a 91 yard TD to go up in the fourth quarter against a divisional rival that spanked the Birds 3 out of 3 times last year. Then fell into the endzone.Run for the hills!!!

Users who are viewing this thread