What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Will Anderson is Still the best player in the draft (1 Viewer)

I would probably agree. It is crazy to me that some people are mocking Tyree Wilson ahead of Anderson.

I would probably agree. It is crazy to me that some people are mocking Tyree Wilson ahead of Anderson.
I don't think its crazy. I prefer Anderson, but I could see (and agree for certain defenses) that the 2-inch, 30-pound difference matters for what you want them to do. I don't think Anderson as good a prospect as Aidan Hutchinson was.

Personally, I think Jalen Carter is the best defensive player in the draft.

I don't think its crazy. I prefer Anderson, but I could see (and agree for certain defenses) that the 2-inch, 30-pound difference matters for what you want them to do. I don't think Anderson as good a prospect as Aidan Hutchinson was.

Interesting, I would put Anderson a tier above Hutchinson for sure. 17.5 half sacks and 30 TFL as a true sophomore in the SEC is just ridiculous. His pass rushing upside is off the charts.

Interesting, I would put Anderson a tier above Hutchinson for sure. 17.5 half sacks and 30 TFL as a true sophomore in the SEC is just ridiculous. His pass rushing upside is off the charts.
I find Anderson to be a bit 1 dimensional, or at least how he was used. He was basically pinning his ears back and going for sacks every play, Hutchinson was asked to do a lot more for his team. I'm a pretty huge Hutchinson guy, I thought he was a better prospect than Young or Bosa were too.

I'm a little curious how Anderson fares against bigger stronger NFL OT's. Especially if he stays in the 245 pound range. I think he'll do just fine, and am totally on board with him as a top 3-5 pick. But I don't think he's on the level of Hutch, or Bosa. I'd put Anderson on Chase Young's level, but I was never as blown away on Young as most everyone else was.

I find Anderson to be a bit 1 dimensional, or at least how he was used. He was basically pinning his ears back and going for sacks every play, Hutchinson was asked to do a lot more for his team. I'm a pretty huge Hutchinson guy, I thought he was a better prospect than Young or Bosa were too.

I'm a little curious how Anderson fares against bigger stronger NFL OT's. Especially if he stays in the 245 pound range. I think he'll do just fine, and am totally on board with him as a top 3-5 pick. But I don't think he's on the level of Hutch, or Bosa. I'd put Anderson on Chase Young 's level, but I was never as blown away on Young as most everyone else was
As a Lions and Hutchinson fan, I sure hope he hits the ceiling you envision for him.

I'm a little curious how Anderson fares against bigger stronger NFL OT's. Especially if he stays in the 245 pound range. I think he'll do just fine, and am totally on board with him as a top 3-5 pick. But I don't think he's on the level of Hutch, or Bosa. I'd put Anderson on Chase Young 's level, but I was never as blown away on Young as most everyone else was
As a Lions and Hutchinson fan, I sure hope he hits the ceiling you envision for him.
As a Bears and Wolverines fan. I still can't believe the Jags passed on such a sure thing. My comp for Hutchinson was Jared Allen. Hutch may be the most laterally quick pass rushing prospect I've ever seen.

So many Edge players this year, no value in him at the very top of the draft.

I'll take Nolan late 1st instead
100% agree that edge is very deep this year.

Personally, I think Andre Carter might be my guy this year. If he played pretty much anywhere other than a service academy, I think he'd have top-15 buzz.

As a Bears and Wolverines fan. I still can't believe the Jags passed on such a sure thing. My comp for Hutchinson was Jared Allen. Hutch may be the most laterally quick pass rushing prospect I've ever seen.

So many Edge players this year, no value in him at the very top of the draft.

I'll take Nolan late 1st instead
100% agree that edge is very deep this year.

Personally, I think Andre Carter might be my guy this year. If he played pretty much anywhere other than a service academy, I think he'd have top-15 buzz.
Andre Carter II
Army
Edge
Definitely on my short list of impact players you don't need an early 1st Rd selection to get

@travdogg @Ministry of Pain any idea why Andre Carter II had such a drop off in production this last year? There is a lot of talk about how Will Anderson's production dipped bit Carter took an even bigger hit from 14.5 sacks to 3.5. Was he just getting a ton of double teams?

Also I am a little worried about his age. Looks like he was at Army for 4 years and then Wikipedia says he also did a year at some place called Cheshire Academy for a year before Army.

@travdogg @Ministry of Pain any idea why Andre Carter II had such a drop off in production this last year? There is a lot of talk about how Will Anderson's production dipped bit Carter took an even bigger hit from 14.5 sacks to 3.5. Was he just getting a ton of double teams?

Also I am a little worried about his age. Looks like he was at Army for 4 years and then Wikipedia says he also did a year at some place called Cheshire Academy for a year before Army.
Carter will be 23 week 1, as will Tyree Wilson.

Carter saw almost exclusively double teams, much of his highlight reel is him beating/splitting 2 guys.

The really interesting thing with Carter, is that unlike most prospects, he hasn't really been able to train his body for football year round, due to his military commitment, he's likely nowhere near peaked as an athlete yet, and at 6-7 260, could add 10-15 pounds of muscle pretty easily.

Carter saw almost exclusively double teams, much of his highlight reel is him beating/splitting 2 guys.

The really interesting thing with Carter, is that unlike most prospects, he hasn't really been able to train his body for football year round, due to his military commitment, he's likely nowhere near peaked as an athlete yet, and at 6-7 260, could add 10-15 pounds of muscle pretty easily.
Sounds like a slam dunk top 20 pick as long as you trust that the military won't interfere with his career

I don't think its crazy. I prefer Anderson , but I could see (and agree for certain defenses) that the 2-inch, 30-pound difference matters for what you want them to do. I don't think Anderson as good a prospect as Aidan Hutchinson was.

Personally, I think Jalen Carter is the best defensive player in the draft
I take Carter over an EDGE, any EDGE, because truly dominant DTs are much, much more rare than an EDGE. You have entire drafts where there are no good DTs. And when you have a stud in the middle of your defense, you cannot hide from them.

I don't even think Tyree should be in the discussion. I think he might be a fine base end who can get 6-8 sacks a year. But that's not a top 10 pick.

These highlights get anyone else excited? Not me

Last edited:
I don't think its crazy. I prefer Anderson , but I could see (and agree for certain defenses) that the 2-inch, 30-pound difference matters for what you want them to do. I don't think Anderson as good a prospect as Aidan Hutchinson was.

I take Carter over an EDGE, any EDGE, because truly dominant DTs are much, much more rare than an EDGE. You have entire drafts where there are no good DTs. And when you have a stud in the middle of your defense, you cannot hide from them.

I don't even think Tyree should be in the discussion. I think he might be a fine base end who can get 6-8 sacks a year. But that's not a top 10 pick.

Depends what you want in a DE. I was pretty impressed with those highlights. He's basically manhandling a bunch of those OTs. Wilson isn't a crazy burst around the edge type of DE, but there's nothing wrong with a guy who wins with size and power. I think he's a top-10 pick. He might not be a huge sack guy, but I think sacks are grossly overrated.

I 100% agree with you on Jalen Carter. I've been grading draft prospects since 2017, and he's the best DT prospect I've seen in that time frame. The only guy who came close was Jeffrey Simmons, and he only fell to where he did because he tore his ACL in his bowl game.

I agree mostly with you but I also want to ask

-DT has somewhat diminished in recent years. So has true MLB since stopping the run seems 2nd to having some type of 3-3-5, 4-1-6, some type of 5-6 DB package, the Nickelbacks or Slot DBs are starting to be treated as valuable as staring Cornerbacks. I like Carter as much as you do but feel as though bookend OLB/Edge rushers are almost more important these days to keep pressure on the QB.

-This also bleeds into my feelings that Offensive Lineman should never go in the Top 5 these days. What teams are willing themselves into the Super Bowl with a All Pro Left Tackle. I couldn't name 3 of the starting KC OL in the Super Bowl.

It seems like there are more impact positions in the modern NFL to take a guy high in the draft other than DT. Thats said, Jalen Carter is a special player and should eat up double teams.

This also bleeds into my feelings that Offensive Lineman should never go in the Top 5 these days. What teams are willing themselves into the Super Bowl with a All Pro Left Tackle. I couldn't name 3 of the starting KC OL in the Super Bowl.

Dude, the KC and PHI OL were huge reasons for their success. PHI might have had the All-PRO LT in Jordan Mailata and KC had Orlando Brown, if I'm not mistaken. The offensive lines, in total, were ranked 1st and 4th respectively in PFF's grading. They were awesome and a big reason why their teams reached the Super Bowls.

I don't think you could be any more incorrect than this.

-DT has somewhat diminished in recent years. So has true MLB
My immediate thought is that I agree, but different reasons. Linebackers, in the NFL you get more useful snaps from these hybrid safety/corner raptors than from a LB right?

But interior disruption has not been phased out. We just haven't seen that many true freaks who have panned out recently. My best example of this is Aaron Donald. We are seriously overdue for another Donald. Shorter, insane quick, and strong. There's versions of these guys every year. Kancey this year. We just haven't seen many put it together. So I don't think DT is less valuable, just not enough good ones right now.

If Carter and Anderson both hit big, I think Carter has a more consistent impact.

This also bleeds into my feelings that Offensive Lineman should never go in the Top 5 these days. What teams are willing themselves into the Super Bowl with a All Pro Left Tackle. I couldn't name 3 of the starting KC OL in the Super Bowl.

Dude, the KC and PHI OL were huge reasons for their success. PHI might have had the All-PRO LT in Jordan Mailata and KC had Orlando Brown, if I'm not mistaken. The offensive lines, in total, were ranked 1st and 4th respectively in PFF's grading. They were awesome and a big reason why their teams reached the Super Bowls.

I didn't say they were bad my friend.
I'm saying they weren't all assembled top 5, seems like a tough area to justify OL.
Creed the All Pro Center was late 2nd Rd if I'm not mistaken.
Did they draft Brown?

-DT has somewhat diminished in recent years. So has true MLB
My immediate thought is that I agree, but different reasons. Linebackers, in the NFL you get more useful snaps from these hybrid safety/corner raptors than from a LB right?

But interior disruption has not been phased out. We just haven't seen that many true freaks who have panned out recently. My best example of this is Aaron Donald. We are seriously overdue for another Donald. Shorter, insane quick, and strong. There's versions of these guys every year. Kancey this year. We just haven't seen many put it together. So I don't think DT is less valuable, just not enough good ones right now.

If Carter and Anderson both hit big, I think Carter has a more consistent impact.
Big Kancey fan as well. There's a couple of impact DT this year, Carter is on a whole other level but you could still find something pretty impactful after he comes off the board.
I agree with you about interior disruption, Wilkins from Miami was a good example of this throughout the season.

I'm saying they weren't all assembled top 5, seems like a tough area to justify OL.
Did they draft Brown?

🤔 the Super Bowl QBs were both outside the top 5 (10 and 53).
None of the NFC starters in the playoffs were taken top 5. IIRC the only one taken in the first round was arguably the worst one, Danny Dimes.

Did they draft Brown?

None of the NFC starters in the playoffs were taken top 5. IIRC the only one taken in the first round was arguably the worst one, Danny Dimes.
But does this tell us anything? Last years SB was two QBs taken 1st overall. I think using SB team rosters to evaluate the positional value of top 5 picks is probably not a good strategy. Good organizations that go deep in the playoffs rarely have multiple top 5 picks in one position group. The Patriots haven't had a top 5 pick since 1994! Is there any team that has more than 1 top 5 drafted OL on their roster? You make the super bowl by finding 1st round talent in the later rounds.

Lane Johnson was drafted 4th overall.

Did they draft Brown?

But does this tell us anything? Last years SB was two QBs taken 1st overall. I think using SB team rosters to evaluate the positional value of top 5 picks is probably not a good strategy. Good organizations that go deep in the playoffs rarely have multiple top 5 picks in one position group. The Patriots haven't had a top 5 pick since 1994! Is there any team that has more than 1 top 5 drafted OL on their roster? You make the super bowl by finding 1st round talent in the later rounds.

Lane Johnson was drafted 4th overall.
You’re right. and that’s the point in response to MoP’s assessment of OL value.

Did they draft Brown?

Interestingly, every single AFC playoff team had a 1st round QB, and all but 1 was a top-10 pick.

Did they draft Brown?
Jordan Mailata was pick 233. The Eagles have the best offensive line coach, so having that in your repertoire allows you to not always have to take an offensive lineman in the top 5. We are just a 1 of 1 in that regard. You can still get quality guys in the first 3 rounds usually, but Lane Johnson, future Hall of Famer, was also taken #4 overall. More than one way to skin a cat, but I definitely disagree with the premise "offensive lineman should never go in the top 5 these days."

Did they draft Brown?

Interestingly, every single AFC playoff team had a 1st round QB, and all but 1 was a top-10 pick.

And most even started for their team!

;)

Sounds like a slam dunk top 20 pick as long as you trust that the military won't interfere with his career

Policy passed in 2019 that allows athletes at academies to pursue professional athletics immediately after graduation and defer their service requirements. That said, Andre got pancaked a few times at the Senior Bowl practices, I think his stock took the biggest drop of anyone there. Working theory I've seen is he just doesn't get us much time in the gym as most of these guys who are working out at phenomenal facilities with top level strength coaches.

Tons of big boards have him at the end of the first round but he really needs to have a good combine. Would not be surprised if he ends up in mid-3rd bc it's a pretty deep Edge class.

Also, we need to start delineating what kind of Edge we are talking about. Ojulari can bend around any tackle and he can drop into coverage - and not just as a novelty act. Tuipulotu is more of a traditional DE but strong enough to slide to 3-tech. Completely different roles.

With all these guys, though, you have to project a bit to justify the pick. Murphy has insane reps but can be inconsistent (he kind of never got better after his highly productive freshman year.) Tyree Wilson can be an every down, pass rushing nightmare who can also set the edge - but he needs refinement.

The one surefire Edge guy who will dominant and never needs to come off the field is Will Anderson.

Policy passed in 2019 that allows athletes at academies to pursue professional athletics immediately after graduation and defer their service requirements. That said, Andre got pancaked a few times at the Senior Bowl practices, I think his stock took the biggest drop of anyone there. Working theory I've seen is he just doesn't get us much time in the gym as most of these guys who are working out at phenomenal facilities with top level strength coaches.

Tons of big boards have him at the end of the first round but he really needs to have a good combine. Would not be surprised if he ends up in mid-3rd bc it's a pretty deep Edge class.

Also, we need to start delineating what kind of Edge we are talking about. Ojulari can bend around any tackle and he can drop into coverage - and not just as a novelty act. Tuipulotu is more of a traditional DE but strong enough to slide to 3-tech. Completely different roles.

With all these guys, though, you have to project a bit to justify the pick. Murphy has insane reps but can be inconsistent (he kind of never got better after his highly productive freshman year.) Tyree Wilson can be an every down, pass rushing nightmare who can also set the edge - but he needs refinement.

The one surefire Edge guy who will dominant and never needs to come off the field is Will Anderson.
Crossing fingers he’s a Titan at pick 72.

Good info across the board. I knew about the military deferment but I also believe it is at the discretion of the military they could pull his card at any time. No reason to think they would but they could. Carter is really tall and I can see what you might mean about him not being stout enough for the next level. I get his commitment and all but it's a shame after his awesome junior year that he wasn't able to transfer to a power 5 school for some better coaching, training and publicity. Also, how funny is it the combine is listing him with the LBs. 6'7" 265 LB my butt.

Good info across the board. I knew about the military deferment but I also believe it is at the discretion of the military they could pull his card at any time. No reason to think they would but they could. Carter is really tall and I can see what you might mean about him not being stout enough for the next level. I get his commitment and all but it's a shame after his awesome junior year that he wasn't able to transfer to a power 5 school for some better coaching, training and publicity. Also, how funny is it the combine is listing him with the LBs. 6'7" 265 LB my butt.

I thought he didn't have the option to transfer - used to be you signed your military obligation contract after the end of your Sophomore year. Used to be you couldn't get around that. Even if you flunked out, you still had to serve as an enlisted man (never happens but the threat was always there.) But I've read quotes from Carter indicating he could have but opted to transfer to a Power 5 not to because of the 2019 provision.

New bill passed December 2022 that reverses the policy but has a carve out to grandfather student-athletes enrolled in an academy on June 1, 2021. But....and you are correct WRT the possible risk - it's written as a temporary exemption. Meaning they reserve the right to cancel the grandfather clause.

So short sighted. Guys like David Robinson, Napolean McCallum, Andre Carter only draw positive attention to the service academies and help recruitment. Why do politicians make it an unnecessary obstacle? It's upside down but Congress was arguing against it and senior military officials were advising them to allow the exemption.

Height/Weight is always inflated by schools. A.T. Parker is an early day 3 WR who was listed at 6'5", I was kind of excited for him as a sleeper in a weak WR class. Went to the Shrine Bowl and oopsie OK he's really 6'3".

Did they draft Brown?

Brown came via the Ravens, IIRC.

Your own second team just took an OL in the top fifteen in 2020. Tristan Wirfs went 13. And you guys (Miami) picked an OT at 18.

The NFL took five OTs in the top eighteen that year, six in the first round, one in the top five. The NFL disagrees with you rather vehemently, it would seem.

Did they draft Brown?

Your own second team just took an OL in the top fifteen in 2020. Tristan Wirfs went 13. And you guys (Miami) picked an OT at 18.

The NFL took five OTs in the top eighteen that year, six in the first round, one in the top five. The NFL disagrees with you rather vehemently, it would seem.
Brown was acquired via trade for a 1st round pick. Its arguable whether its been worth it or not. I mean he was an important part of winning the Super Bowl this year, but at the same time, paying him, was also a big reason for them not paying Tyreek Hill, and who knows if they'd have been better or worse having Hill instead of Brown in 2022?

It still seems to me that the NFL views positional value as:
QB, DL, OL, DB, WR, RB, LB

WR made a bit of a push last year, but I think its very much a question of, was it a larger emphasis on WRs, or was it because Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill, and AJ Brown (3 of the top-5 guys at the position in my opinion) were the ones being paid for?

Did they draft Brown?

Hey Rock,

How many of those 6 in 2020 have been strong starters? Austin Jackson has been a complete bust. The Jets guy injured often
Thomas was lamb basted when he arrived, think he's gotten better or at least part of the Daniel Jones evolution. The Cleveland Tackle pretty unheralded but by my accounts solid when you factor in the running game and what they have had at QB to this point.

Thanks for the reply, cheers!

That 2020 1st round OT's were a very interesting group, it was crazy that so many guys went in round 1.

Andrew Thomas had a mediocre rookie year but has been excellent since.

Jedrick Wills has been very mediocre but hasn't been a bust.

Mehki Becton was a reach in my opinion at the time, as weight issues were always going to be a problem. He's been good when he has played at least and if he can get healthy is probably still salvageable.

Tristan Wirfs is a top-5 OT in the NFL, and I'm still amazed he went behind Becton and Wills.

Austin Jackson and Isaiah Wilson were both awful picks at the time. Huge reaches for need. Jackson was a 3rd round prospect on most boards and has underachieved even those expectations. Wilson was a day 3 prospect who had very little he did well in college, but he was big, and on a successful college. Even if he hadn't had major mental issues, he probably still wasn't a good bet to make it to the end of his rookie contract.

How many of those 6 in 2020 have been strong starters?

Three have turned into strong starters out of six. That's not iron-clad, but not bad.

And not totally relevant to the issue at hand, which is how much does the NFL value offensive tackle. They value them quite highly.

But back to Will Anderson. I just didn't want to be rude and ignore your question.

Welp, forget everything I said about Jalen Carter, he's apparently an idiot, and assuming he doesn't go to jail, is a huge character red flag, so that's probably good for Will Anderson.

It serious blows my mind that drinking and street racing is even something that crosses your mind to do, in general, but especially when you are on the cusp of generational wealth. Like, how was nothing learned from the Henry Ruggs situation. Now 2 more people are dead, thankfully only 2 considering he was going 104 against traffic, and leaving the scene when your friend is dying, just real POS behavior.

Assuming he gets off with a wrist slap, I really hope the Bears don't take Carter, even with a trade down.

Also, how funny is it the combine is listing him with the LBs. 6'7" 265 LB my butt.

Just saw an interview with Andre Carter, he was 252 at the Senior Bowl

But he mentioned how he would have to lose weight every summer for something Army related (I didn't quite follow what he meant) and one of his immediate goals for OTAs, TC and his rookie year was being able to devote more time to getting stronger and adding muscle mass.

But he mentioned how he would have to lose weight every summer for something Army related (I didn't quite follow what he meant) and one of his immediate goals for OTAs, TC and his rookie year was being able to devote more time to getting stronger and adding muscle mass.
Will be interesting to see what he weighed this weekend and then again if he does some sort of pro days. At 6’7” I can’t see any lower weight that allows him to play LB. He’s an edge but definitely needs to bulk up for that. I hope it works out for him.

So many Edge players this year
Evan Lazar
@ezlazar

Anderson, Wilson, Murphy, Smith, Van Ness, White, Foskey, Ojulari, Hall, McDonald, Anudike-Uzomah, Andre Carter, Adebawore, Harrison, Young (UT) are all going top 100. Great group at EDGE.
Teams that truly need help at Edge, you could draft two of them this year. It's one of the most expensive positions outside of QB, especially if they are one of the better ones in the league.
The Miami Dolphins have some decent Edge players but I would not hesitate at #51 for Miami if they can get someone like Andre Carter who hasn't even maxed out his true abilities yet.
Any team that has a need at Edge and doesn't dip into this class is asleep at the wheel.
A great pass rush can cover up holes in the secondary. QBs having to rush passes throws the whole timing of the offense off.
Philly blew teams out at halftime all season doing it.

Also, how funny is it the combine is listing him with the LBs. 6'7" 265 LB my butt.

Army Training

Basically, every cadet needs to make standards for training. That gets to be super challenging with linemen.

Army Training

Basically, every cadet needs to make standards for training. That gets to be super challenging with linemen.

Boomshakalaka, Boomshakalaka, Boomshakalaka, Boom!

he should be able to bulk up a bit being in a better facility. great kid, hope he's a home run for somebody.

Army Training

he should be able to bulk up a bit being in a better facility. great kid, hope he's a home run for somebody.
If there’s one pick I could make for my team, it’s Carter in the 2nd! for the titans. MV will love the kid, as will big Jeff.
Edit - he’s all over the place but apparently should go before 3rd.

Last edited:

His workout seemed a little disappointing overall. Might be an uphill battle for him as he’s already behind.

If there’s one pick I could make for my team, it’s Carter in the 2nd! for the titans. MV will love the kid, as will big Jeff.
Aren’t the Titans the team that likes big powerful players? I mean Carter is tall but he’s lean now and got pushed around at the Senior Bowl. Though they have a new GM so maybe it’s. New philosophy.

His workout seemed a little disappointing overall. Might be an uphill battle for him as he’s already behind.

his vert and broad jumps were nothing special, but I've got it stuck in my head this year THE most important workout drill is 20 yard yard bc supposedly it's the best predictor of NFL success for edge rushers.

(that doesn't make it a stone cold lock, it's just the stickiest measure of all the exercises)

he ran 4.36

Travon Walker ran 4.32 a year ago

As someone else mentioned, you need both the quicks and the strength. Speed-to-Power. He's twitched up but not as confident in his ability to swipe an OL hands away.

Aren’t the Titans the team that likes big powerful players? I mean Carter is tall but he’s lean now and got pushed around at the Senior Bowl. Though they have a new GM so maybe it’s. New philosophy.
He will need to eat plenty of Nashville hot chicken.

Users who are viewing this thread