What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (2 Viewers)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
This isn’t true either. As we seek solutions many of us are willing to compromise. I offered some last night. Everyone I know who wants reasonable gun restrictions are willing to compromise. Your side is not. Don’t group us together; we are not like you. 
Sorry Tim, but this is ridiculous :lol:

The standard configuration of an AR 15 is not a powerful weapon, relatively.  It is an effective compromise between power, capacity, and weight to carry.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=2hUAkluY&id=FF6D1639348F54D1178505373118FF0903B57906&thid=OIP.2hUAkluY4qTvvdSGKsgCEgHaC3&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2f3.bp.blogspot.com%2f-lqOq4TzEo2E%2fUgJD0_8PxII%2fAAAAAAAAGes%2fT3BhoAt3FAw%2fs1600%2fAmmoChart2.jpg&exph=395&expw=1023&q=Rifle+Ammunition+Comparison&simid=608044333298485178&selectedIndex=8&ajaxhist=0

The standard round for an AR 15 is the .223 or the 5.56, different ways of saying essentially the same thing. It is, by rifle standards, a weak round.
But the relative strength or weakness of the round isn't the only factor here, it's also how fast it can pump those rounds out.

Too many of these rifles are designed to make them easily modifiable to increase their ability to murder the ever loving #### out of the most people in the shortest amount of time.  

I understand that you are never going to make them murder proof, but that doesn't mean we should accept the highest capacity of murderability as the default position.

This isn’t true either. As we seek solutions many of us are willing to compromise. I offered some last night. Everyone I know who wants reasonable gun restrictions are willing to compromise. Your side is not. Don’t group us together; we are not like you. 
Truly absurd.  Literally every gun owner in this thread has been far more willing to compromise than you.  As far as you're concerned an AR 15 ban is the only option, end of story.  I've stated a willingness to increase age, update background checks, eliminate stupid gun show loopholes, introduce a registration process and even possibly a ban.  That's compromising.  What you are doing is the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anyone need fast food?  Why would anyone need alcohol?  Why would anyone need soda/pop?  Why does anyone need television?  Internet?

Anyone that says they NEED an assault rifle, does not know the definition of need.

Henry Ford said:
Or is currently being set upon by zombies. 
Well, you need headshots for zombies.

According to the gun experts it is ludicrous to expect trained individuals hitting legs or arms in high stress situations. The head would seem similar in size and movement potential

So they're just as ####ed as the rest of us when the ZA happens

Henry Ford said:
Or is currently being set upon by zombies. 
DW:  Right.  And frankly folks when a hoard of stumbling brain eaters is approaching your homestead you do not want the protection of your loved ones to rest on your ability to place head shots on these stumbling, unsteady targets as adrenaline rushes through your blood stream.  No folks that is not the answer!

Timmy:  Well then what is the answer DW?

DW:  Well Billy, the answer is the new Zombini* 5000.  This is a modification of an International Harvester Thresher from the 1970's, but in this version the blades all spin horizontally exactly 4 feet  6 inches off of the ground .  This Baby will clear a swath through a stumbling, bumbling hoard of the undead quicker than a Chris Berman fart can clear a room.  What do you think of that Davey?

Timmy:  Its Timmy Sir!

DW:  Of Course it is Jimmy.  Now, do you think your Dad loves you enough to buy this protection for his family?

Timmy:  My Dad's in prison for selling meth and shooting it out with the Cops.

DW, Of course he is Skippy.  Say, does that mean your Mom is home alone?

Fade to Black on film of the Zomboni 5000 harvesting meat sacks.

In low volume hear DW introducing himself to Ralphy's Mom at her front door

*In no way affiliated with or infringing on any patent of the Zomboni Ice Machine.

KCitons said:
But the purpose of banning guns, or certain types of guns, is to stop the mass shootings. If you pass a bunch of laws, even ban all guns, and the mass shootings continue, what do you  propose we do then?

I know the answer already. "let's not worry about ifs, we will deal with that when it happens". Yet, you asked legal gun owners to give up their rights, perhaps altered the 2nd Amendment and obtained zero results. 
Please point out the law that has 100% deterrence.

unckeyherb said:
Truly absurd.  Literally every gun owner in this thread has been far more willing to compromise than you.  As far as you're concerned an AR 15 ban is the only option, end of story.  I've stated a willingness to increase age, update background checks, eliminate stupid gun show loopholes, introduce a registration process and even possibly a ban.  That's compromising.  What you are doing is the opposite.
@timschochet

:crickets:

unckeyherb said:
as a hunter/gun owner i agree and i want compromise. No need for ak47 ar15 uzi etc....other than the coolness of having and shooting them. However the nra bends it and twists it. This is no longer acceptable

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
I haven't paid a lot of attention here, but curious as to what happened say in Australia when they incorporated their ban. Did other similar style guns readily take their place? Why or why not?

I haven't paid a lot of attention here, but curious as to what happened say in Australia when they incorporated their ban. Did other similar style guns readily take their place? Why or why not?
This is a good article that explains Australia's gun laws and how the effected gun owners, then and now. It sounds like the guns that would be most commonly used in mass shootings are nearly impossible to take out in public. 

as a hunter/gun owner i agree and i want compromise. No need for ak47 ar15 uzi etc....other than the coolness of having and shooting them. However the nra bends it and twists it. This is no longer acceptable
Agreed.  I own guns.   I'm not an NRA member.  I don't vote with gun rights in my mind.  I believe I am not the minority.  It's easy for Tim to place everyone as crazy gun nuts.  That's not the case.  At all.

Agreed.  I own guns.   I'm not an NRA member.  I don't vote with gun rights in my mind.  I believe I am not the minority.  It's easy for Tim to place everyone as crazy gun nuts.  That's not the case.  At all.
Having read your posts, though I disagree with you, I find you very reasonable and well-intentioned. 

Unfortunately the Republican politicians who make decisions on these issues are not listening to you, and they’re certainly not listening to me. They’re listening to the crazies who you do NOT represent, and are following their lead. 

Would you want a ban on shotguns (semi auto or pump action) as well?
I would be fine with a ban on semi-auto shotguns.  I've never seen a major need for them.  As for pump action, I don't think they should be banned.  I know some people can get off rounds pretty fast with them but when shooting that fast with a shotgun it's not very accurate and I believe most only hold like 6 shells.

I don't know how other guns owners feel about this but I've always thought bolt action guns are really cool.  Semi-autos are fun but I've felt they're more for show and a bolt action is for the more serious shooter that puts focus on his shooting skills.

I would be fine with a ban on semi-auto shotguns.  I've never seen a major need for them.  As for pump action, I don't think they should be banned.  I know some people can get off rounds pretty fast with them but when shooting that fast with a shotgun it's not very accurate and I believe most only hold like 6 shells.

I don't know how other guns owners feel about this but I've always thought bolt action guns are really cool.  Semi-autos are fun but I've felt they're more for show and a bolt action is for the more serious shooter that puts focus on his shooting skills.
Just curious, has anyone ever heard of a mass shooting by semi-auto shotgun?  I'm not even sure I've heard of someone committing murder via semi-auto shotgun although I'm sure it's happened.  No facts behind this, but I suspect knives have been used more often for murders or crime than semi-auto shotguns.

Just curious, has anyone ever heard of a mass shooting by semi-auto shotgun?  I'm not even sure I've heard of someone committing murder via semi-auto shotgun although I'm sure it's happened.  No facts behind this, but I suspect knives have been used more often for murders or crime than semi-auto shotguns.
Not that I know of.  I don't think the shotgun is a very popular gun for anyone other than hunters.  Probably not cool enough looking for some unless they get one of those tactical shotguns.  I'm more old fashioned and traditional.

Not that I know of.  I don't think the shotgun is a very popular gun for anyone other than hunters.  Probably not cool enough looking for some unless they get one of those tactical shotguns.  I'm more old fashioned and traditional.
I think this is a big reason why some people buy them.  They get to pretend they're soldiers without actually joining the military.   

Did you know that you can buy 25 round drums for pump action shotguns? I believe they sell a double drum. What kind of carnage could someone do with 25 rounds of buck shot or slugs?

Did you know that you can buy 25 round drums for pump action shotguns? I believe they sell a double drum. What kind of carnage could someone do with 25 rounds of buck shot or slugs?
Did you know you can buy a pump action shotgun that holds 25 (up to 41 really, if you use mini) shells without having to bother with a drum?

Did you know you can buy a pump action shotgun that holds 25 (up to 41 really, if you use mini) shells without having to bother with a drum?
Presume you are referring to the Kel Tec with aguila mini shells.

the first time I saw those mini shells, maybe a dozen years ago I thought, damn, we are entering a new age of violence.  People have forgotten shotguns characterized as trench brooms for their ability to clear out trenches in WWI, but this is an intimidating bit of firepower.

Presume you are referring to the Kel Tec with aguila mini shells.

the first time I saw those mini shells, maybe a dozen years ago I thought, damn, we are entering a new age of violence.  People have forgotten shotguns characterized as trench brooms for their ability to clear out trenches in WWI, but this is an intimidating bit of firepower.
Yeah, that Kel Tec will take a full box of 2 3/4", which concerns me even more than the minis.  25  2 3/4" shells with no drum seems like a bad idea.

Yeah, that Kel Tec will take a full box of 2 3/4", which concerns me even more than the minis.  25  2 3/4" shells with no drum seems like a bad idea.
When folks realize how say triple aught buck shot compares in size to a 9mm bullet, and how many shots are in each cartridge, and that they are propelled at comparable speeds to 9mm handgun loads, they would be terrified by the Kel Tec system.  I have never discussed it, saying only that the AR 15 is not the weapon I fear in school shootings.  I did not see much good from letting these into the discussion, but yes, devastating.

The Mossberg 590 comes with a 20 round magazine.  Also frightening weapon.   I have a pistol grip configuration of the 590.  When Aguila came out with their shells there were conversion kits that followed to allow my shotgun to accept that shell. Just a bit of modification to the elevator.

When folks realize how say triple aught buck shot compares in size to a 9mm bullet, and how many shots are in each cartridge, and that they are propelled at comparable speeds to 9mm handgun loads, they would be terrified by the Kel Tec system.  I have never discussed it, saying only that the AR 15 is not the weapon I fear in school shootings.  I did not see much good from letting these into the discussion, but yes, devastating.
I knew this platform (or similar) was what you meant when you commented that AR platform was not the most devastating setup. Use of a high capacity 12ga would indeed be brutal in CQB. 

Thankfully it’s pump vs semi-auto, and has been rumored to have reliability issues. 

I knew this platform (or similar) was what you meant when you commented that AR platform was not the most devastating setup. Use of a high capacity 12ga would indeed be brutal in CQB. 

Thankfully it’s pump vs semi-auto, and has been rumored to have reliability issues. 
In my experience the reliability issue is eliminated if one makes an adjustment to the elevator.  I believe the Remington 1300 handles them flawlessly, though I do not know that first hand.

I suspected you would know, and I know others here had little doubt either as to what I was referring.  

I'm sure this was answered... but I"m too lazy to read through the thread. the question asked by the OP-  and I'll rephrase it because I guess "assault rifles" is a somewhat vague or meaningless term...

- what's the function or purpose of semi/automatic guns for joe public? (guns that shoot multiple rounds quickly- long stock or pistols as far as I'm concerned)

looking for an actual answer here- I don't get it. I'll admit up front- I don't like guns and don't see the need for them in a civilized and modern society, but I accept the 2nd amendment is not going away and would like to hear more from those of you guys who own the guns... my social media is entirely lefty SF, NYC and Euro people- not a single pro gun person there.

With 3D printers it’s going to be very difficult to keep extended mags away from would-be killers even with a ban.  That’s not to say legal limitations wouldn’t still be worthwhile.  I’m just not optimistic it will make much of an impact.

I'm sure this was answered... but I"m too lazy to read through the thread. the question asked by the OP-  and I'll rephrase it because I guess "assault rifles" is a somewhat vague or meaningless term...

- what's the function or purpose of semi/automatic guns for joe public? (guns that shoot multiple rounds quickly- long stock or pistols as far as I'm concerned)

looking for an actual answer here- I don't get it. I'll admit up front- I don't like guns and don't see the need for them in a civilized and modern society, but I accept the 2nd amendment is not going away and would like to hear more from those of you guys who own the guns... my social media is entirely lefty SF, NYC and Euro people- not a single pro gun person there.
"semiautomatic guns" is a category so broad the answer to "what does Joe Public do with them?" could be literally any gun use.

With 3D printers it’s going to be very difficult to keep extended mags away from would-be killers even with a ban.  That’s not to say legal limitations wouldn’t still be worthwhile.  I’m just not optimistic it will make much of an impact.
Yeah, I still have hope that 3D printing for guns in general won't produce weapons capable of extended fire, as they will break down pretty quickly.  Magazines are a whole different ballgame

At least it can't be maneuvered easily around corners and barriers to fire blindly as easily as a shotgun that holds 25 shells.
Uses like that are why my current build is a AR “Pistol” kinda like this (but with better optics) chambered in 5.56 with a short 11.5” BCM upper. I think I’ll be going with the KAK shockwave brace over the SIG setup for cost/weight savings. Was going with a BCM pistol lower but the PSA sale on their forged Mil-spec stripped lowers for $49.99 has be considering building my own. 

Uses like that are why my current build is a AR “Pistol” chambered in 5.56 with a short 11.5” BCM upper. I think I’ll be going with the KAK shockwave brace. Was going with a BCM pistol lower but the PSA sale on their forged Mil-spec stripped lowers for $49.99 has be considering building my own. 
This kind of customization ability is the far more effective argument against the AR, in my opinion.  I think it would ultimately fail, but it's that ability that makes it possible for someone to break it down, put it in a backpack, take an uber to a school, and put it back together again.

I fear some ####### getting ahold of an AA-12 and going into a school.  fortunately they are not available to the public.  Still in a crowded situation the Kel Tec would be unthinkable.

I fear some ####### getting ahold of an AA-12 and going into a school.  fortunately they are not available to the public.  Still in a crowded situation the Kel Tec would be unthinkable.
Everytime you come up with a weapon that can do as much or greater damage as the AR-15, I just think, OK, let’s ban that one too. 

Users who are viewing this thread