What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (1 Viewer)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
Starting to see businesses drop the mask requirement.  Went to Aldi and the mask sign changed to read that they aren't required if you are fully vaccinated.  Interestingly, the sign looks almost identical to the previous one.  There's a big picture of a face with mask and in big letters "Face coverings" and then in smaller print that you have to stop and read it says they aren't required anymore.  So I took off my mask.  I was the only one in the store not wearing one.  Mostly because I don't think people realize the sign changed, not because of hesitancy or not being vaccinated.

It felt really weird, though.

Starting to see businesses drop the mask requirement.  Went to Aldi and the mask sign changed to read that they aren't required if you are fully vaccinated.  Interestingly, the sign looks almost identical to the previous one.  There's a big picture of a face with mask and in big letters "Face coverings" and then in smaller print that you have to stop and read it says they aren't required anymore.  So I took off my mask.  I was the only one in the store not wearing one.  Mostly because I don't think people realize the sign changed, not because of hesitancy or not being vaccinated.

I'm seeing signs with "we prefer it if you would wear a mask".  

Walked by a Chipotle and saw their 2 paragraph constitution dense text fine print mask sign that has gone....viral.  

Went to Starbuck's today and their sign says, "If you are fully vaccinated, face coverings are optional.  All others must wear face coverings."   Took off my mask that I had just put on and walked in.   I was the only person without a mask on.

went out to a brewery to meet up with a friend of mine on Friday. first person from outside my family i've spoken to face to face since last March. 

nice and empty inside until the rain started. then people jammed in there elbow to elbow. not a mask in site. little kids in there. dogs in there. 

we got the #### out about 5 minutes later and called it a night.

grocery shopping on Saturday. 90%+ unmasked. seems like as soon as the local municipality dropped the mandatory requirement, everyone just said eff it immediately.

knowing this population, i'd bet 50% of those unmasked area also not vaccinated.  

went out to a brewery to meet up with a friend of mine on Friday. first person from outside my family i've spoken to face to face since last March. 

nice and empty inside until the rain started. then people jammed in there elbow to elbow. not a mask in site. little kids in there. dogs in there. 

grocery shopping on Saturday. 90%+ unmasked. seems like as soon as the local municipality dropped the mandatory requirement, everyone just said eff it immediately.

knowing this population, i'd bet 50% of those unmasked area also not vaccinated.  
If it's really that low vaccination rate, you may see outbreaks in this community.  Sucks.

My county is still only at 30% fully vaccinated and I think 38% with one shot.  
Yikes.  Hopefully the elderly are at a higher clip.  With rates like that, I would suspect you´ll eventually know someone that gets really ill from this (if you already don't).

My brother in law's father is at home on oxygen after getting it.  He's late 70s and is in Venezeula.  Not a great spot to be to deal with COVID.

Went to Starbuck's today and their sign says, "If you are fully vaccinated, face coverings are optional.  All others must wear face coverings."   Took off my mask that I had just put on and walked in.   I was the only person without a mask on.
Lots of similar signage all over the New Orleans area.

New Orleans itself is navy blue, but the suburbs are cherry red. Still, even in the suburbs, mask compliance remains north of 90-95%. I now see one or two or three people per shopping trip unmasked, but no more than that. Saw an unmasked cashier for the first time in forever last Friday.

Personally -- just the way I'm wired -- I don't want to be among the first few to ditch masks, but neither do I want to be among the last few. I'll be playing it by ear for a while.

I did legitimately forget my mask this past weekend once when going to pick up a take-out order. The place only had two other customers in there, masked up. I felt weird AF, but went through with the transaction without incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes.  Hopefully the elderly are at a higher clip.  With rates like that, I would suspect you´ll eventually know someone that gets really ill from this (if you already don't).

My brother in law's father is at home on oxygen after getting it.  He's late 70s and is in Venezeula.  Not a great spot to be to deal with COVID.
I mentioned in one of the threads around here that I’m confident that our numbers (Georgia and my local area) are higher than reported because our schools were open all year and we never had mask mandates.  Not sure what the number is and those people should still get vaccinated at some point but I don’t anticipate a big spike - I do expect to know someone who gets it and unfortunately that could be a few of my relatives.

New Orleans itself is navy blue, but the suburbs are cherry red. Still, even in the suburbs, mask compliance is still almost north of 90-95%. I now see one or two or three people per shopping trip unmasked, but no more than that. Saw an unmasked cashier for the first time in forever last Friday.

Personally -- just the way I'm wired -- I don't want to be among the first few to ditch masks, but neither do I want to be among the last few. I'll be playing it by ear for a while.

I did legitimately forget my mask this past weekend once when going to pick up a take-out order. The place only had two other customers in there, masked up. I felt weird AF, but went through with the transaction without incident.
What's weird is the variance from place to place.  There's a Costco, a Home Depot and a grocery store all around the same intersection, and down the street there's a bar/restaurant.   Costco is like 90% masks even though they dropped the requirement, grocery store is close to 100%, Home Depot is like 50%, and the bar is 0%.  The day they said they weren't requiring them nobody has worn one since.   

New Orleans itself is navy blue, but the suburbs are cherry red. Still, even in the suburbs, mask compliance is still almost north of 90-95%. I now see one or two or three people per shopping trip unmasked, but no more than that. Saw an unmasked cashier for the first time in forever last Friday.

Customers masked around here - maybe 25% now.  Employees- 70-80% although it was never 100%.

Customers masked around here - maybe 25% now.  Employees- 70-80% although it was never 100%.
It's interesting. The popular assumption is that any red area will struggle with masking. But around here, people who definitely vote straight red adopted masking as firmly as anyone.

It's interesting. The popular assumption is that any red area will struggle with masking. But around here, people who definitely vote straight red adopted masking as firmly as anyone.
During the Fall and Winter masking was fairly prevalent but schools were in and didn’t require masks.  Virtually all chain places had their employees masked and asked folks to wear masks.  We’ve had indoors basketball going on the entire time save a 6 week period when the #### hit the fan last spring.  I went to the Atlanta United match last weekend - 40k people, masks not required once inside.  We are at least acting like this is over.

Today's retail mask check here in the Seattle area:

Safeway:  8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper hanging over a corner of the huge sign that said 'masks encouraged for the unvaccinated.'

Fred Meyer (Kroger):  Masks required

I've been in several stores without a mask and I feel like the only one. Nobody has said anything to me. I refuse to be a sheep. I'm happy being mask free and fully vaccinated means I'm safe as well!

If fully vaccinated people are wearing just because "everyone else is" then it's being a sheep.
is't not wearing one when lots of other people also aren't "being a sheep"?

i mean, odds are you're following a huge crowd of people one way or another. neither makes you particularly rebellious or anti-sheep like.

is't not wearing one when lots of other people also aren't "being a sheep"?

i mean, odds are you're following a huge crowd of people one way or another. neither makes you particularly rebellious or anti-sheep like.
Of course. It can work both ways. I'm just talking about my experience here.

Been fully vaxed for 2 months and still wear mask. And will continue to do so when Ohio no longer requires them in early June. Nobody I work with has been vaccinated and won't be unless "made to".  No idea what my workplace - Post Office (inside) will do or can do about it. They don't enforce anything now so it probably won't matter.

Maybe it’s the fact that my job has remained the same and my normal has become wearing a mask everywhere but the transition has been awkward. I’ve made a few stops without my mask, it didn’t make me feel any better and it was strange being around a masked employee or elderly person.

My company decided that starting today masks were not required if fully vaccinated. That’s for customers and employees...except pharmacy  :kicksrock: .

Interestingly the ‘masks required’ signs are still up at the entrance and in the departments. There’s a sign by the time clock saying ‘masks required for employees who are not fully vaccinated’ and on the kiosk that does our daily COVID screening, there’s a sign stating that you are attesting that you are fully vaccinated if you choose not to wear a mask while working. Corporate directive was that no one would need to prove vaccination but these signs seem to indicate there will be consequences for lying about your vaccination status. And it may have worked. One employee is very vocal about being anti-vax/masks and has already been shopping without her mask and showed up for work without on. I saw her laughing and taking a picture of the sign at the time clock but by the end of the day she was masked up.

We’re still seeing about half the customers wear masks in the store and I doubt they are just unvaccinated people being honest.

What other reason is there? They're not following the science 
Some people live with people who can’t be vaccinated yet. The risk might be extremely low but some people prefer to not take any risk when it comes to their kids. Others may not feel comfortable with how quickly it went from masks all the time to not at all. Others may take the information from ‘science’ and use it to make an informed decision for themselves.

It’s really strange that you think everyone who continues to wear a mask is only doing it because they are others wearing one. Have you ever considered that some people think wearing a piece of cloth on their face just isn’t that big of deal?

the bold resonates. 

respect. 

Relatively rough night after my 2nd dose yesterday. Less foggyness right after (compared to the first dose) but got no sleep last night.  Nothing over the top, just a constant gross and achy feeling combined with a slight headache and some chills.  My brain just couldn't make itself fall asleep and every time I looked over at the clock only like 8 minutes had passed.

Hopefully the worst is over. Arm is a little sore, but that's a minor inconvenience. If I cant sleep tonight, we'll have a problem.

Here in the middle of red country in Oklahoma, masks seem to have disappeared.  

Wife and I are fully vaccinated and we went without masks to the store Saturday.  It felt weird, then we noticed quickly it seemed like nobody was wearing masks.  I'm not sure our vaccination stats locally, but there's no way all those folks are vaccinated.  We had folks refusing to wear masks during the heart of the pandemic, so this isn't really surprising.  

I'm thinking we'll have another surge in cases soon.  

Doug B, let me propose a theory.  The Greater New Orleans area was hit extremely hard in the early days of the pandemic.  It was unquestionably a traumatic and scary time to be in Orleans, Jefferson and St. Bernard Parishes in March and April of 2020.  Almost everyone in that region knows people who died in that early part of the pandemic. Other areas, like mine in Southwest Louisiana, did not see that huge early outbreak and did not feel the same impact.  In many rural parts of the state people still don't actually know people who died.  These differences in experience affect the response in masks and vaccinations.  The greater New Orleans area, including the red parts, is way ahead of us in percentages vaccinated for the same reasons as the folks in NOLA are still wearing masks while people here are not, for the most part. Thoughts?

My county is still only at 30% fully vaccinated and I think 38% with one shot.  
Oof.  My county is 55% fully vaccinated and 60-something% with at least one shot.  Still pretty much 100% masks in the supermarket but I went to spin class at the gym today and the class went from 100% masked last week to 0% masked this week.

Looks like the country is hitting 50% fully vaccinated today.  I believe PA has passed that now as well.  My county in PA is over 70%.  Cases are below 25k/day on seven day average (though two days ago there were 14k new cases and yesterday back to 25k).

Vaccines work.  This can be over (less than 10k/day) in a month if people keep getting shots.

Covid sure has changed people
Did it change them or did it just bring light to how they actually are?

ETA:  It is so crazy to me how political the entire reactivity to this situation is/was.  Something as personal as your health (and associated limitations or lack thereof) seems constantly attacked whichever way you choose to live your life.  It blows me away how much red/blue seems to matter when that should be the farthest thing from the discussion.

Oof.  My county is 55% fully vaccinated and 60-something% with at least one shot.  Still pretty much 100% masks in the supermarket but I went to spin class at the gym today and the class went from 100% masked last week to 0% masked this week.
We will never hit the herd immunity number with just vaccinations, not happening.  At some point we each have to decide for ourselves when and where we are comfortable going maskless.  I’m close to being in the maskless all the time camp because otherwise I don’t even know what the trigger would be to shift.

The greater New Orleans area, including the red parts, is way ahead of us in percentages vaccinated for the same reasons as the folks in NOLA are still wearing masks while people here are not, for the most part. Thoughts?
Your take makes intuitive sense.

FWIW, grocery/retail masking % in the immediate suburbs around me kind of stalled out at around 75%-80% in early summer 2020 until Parish President Cynthia Lee-Sheng (R) pushed a parish-level mandate going into the July 4th weekend. That same weekend, New Orleans mayor Latoya Cantrell started deploying mask-enforcement Orleans Parish deputies to most big-box retailers and groceries in Orleans Parish.

In Jefferson Parish, I never saw actual JPs enforcing mask wearing but every place I shopped had private security detail to deal with mask issues starting that same weekend of 7/4/2020.

I bring all this up to make the point that despite the initial impact of COVID on the New Orleans metro area ... there was still a few months lag before near 100% masking kicked in.

I think, given the number of anti-vax and vax-hesitant vectors still out there, which is still well into the millions from everything I've been able to find, more surges of cases in localized areas are inevitable. Especially judging from other countries that have seen resurgence. Hopefully, though, we have enough vaccinated, to keep the rates from exponentially increasing quickly like we've seen a couple of times now in the last year. At the very least, deaths and hospitalizations will remain lower. Also hopeful that no bigger/badder variants creep up during the outbreaks that crop up (or arrive from overseas and take hold here). 

jobarules said:
If fully vaccinated people are wearing just because "everyone else is" then it's being a sheep.
Being respectful of others who are not yet vaccinated or cannot be for some reason is not being a sheep. While the risk of contracting and spreading Covid while vaccinated seems to be low from what studies have shown I doubt it's zero. Nothing wrong with continuing to mask up until the vax rates are higher and the spread comes down. It's called being a responsible citizen IMO. This whole "muh freedoms" thing is way more sheeplike and annoying than having to put on a mask for a few more weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread