What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Winston Justice Declares (1 Viewer)

Chaos Commish

Footballguy
NFL.COM Story

USC offensive tackle Winston Justice, the player who protects Leinart's blindside, will declare himself eligible for the April NFL Draft and he is expected to be a high first-round pick, quite possibly the top offensive lineman selected. Justice confirmed his decision in a telephone interview over the weekend.

Justice is bigger than D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and he is known for his pass-blocking skills. He can play either left or right tackle, the position he has manned at USC. While there, he has been the school's top offensive lineman for the past three seasons, though he did serve a suspension last season. With so many team seeking offensive line help -- see Houston, the New York Jets, the Green Bay Packers, the Tennessee Titans -- Justice could sneak into the draft's top 10.
I heard about this earlier today before I found the story. My niece, a freshman and SC and a wannabe cheerleader who lives and dies by her precious footbal team, related the story. Carroll had a special meeting with underclassmen who could declare (some of you may recall LenDale White didn't attend the meeting). One of Carroll's main points is that if a player has an opportunity to significantly upgrade his status, then he should stay in school. Millions are at stake, and he's looking out for his players with this advice. Justice believed he was borderline, and he put his name before the NFL Draft Advisory Board. The board came back with the possibility of him being #1 overall, so he didn't hesitate to declare his NFL intentions. Something I've been trying to get through in the various draft threads is that D'Brick is hyped by the media and internet gurus. He may be the first OL taken, but he may not be. In addition to the panel telling Justice he could go before Ferguson, one of the two primary scouting services that run the combines has McNeill with the #1 OL grade. Also, expect Eric Winston to work his way into a very close competition for the #1 OL grade. The What Should Houston Do thread is packed with D'Brick D'Brick D'Brick. Even if Ferguson goes first, it probably won't be in the first five picks. And I doubt he is the best OL in this class.

Winston has had an awful year. I am shocked that he graded so high. He supposedly has million dollar talent but he also clearly has a 2 cent brain. I don't think he is declaring because of potential draft status but because he knows that he will have a tough time remaining academically ineligible if he stays and that would hurt his draft status more than his poor season.That being said I understand the Brick is very, very small for a franchise left tackle (280 something lbs?) so maybe Winston can move up more than I would think.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of Carroll's main points is that if a player has an opportunity to significantly upgrade his status, then he should stay in school.  Millions are at stake, and he's looking out for his players himself with this advice. 
Fixed

Last edited by a moderator:
One of Carroll's main points is that if a player has an opportunity to significantly upgrade his status, then he should stay in school.  Millions are at stake, and he's looking out for his players himself with this advice. 
Fixed
Any chance you get, eh Pony Boy?

Thanks for the post. This is the year to get an OT.
Yes I agree, there's talent galore. But most of these big names have given us little to cheer about during these bowl games. We have yet to see Justice and I myself didnt get a chance to see McNeill but Winston looked slow against speedy DE's and LB's (one has to wonder whether injury has anything to do with it) and D'Brick looked frail of all things and on several ocassions was beaten back.

Joe Thomas, the junior stud OT from Wisconsin, will probably not be coming out now that he suffered a possibly serious knee injury yesterday - one less OT in that big top tier.If Justice slips to the 20s, I think he'd be perfect for TB because he's already been a blindside protector for a southpaw QB (Leinart) and I have to assume there's a decent chance Tampa will go forward with Simms after his performance this year.

Thanks for the post.  This is the year to get an OT.
Yes I agree, there's talent galore. But most of these big names have given us little to cheer about during these bowl games. We have yet to see Justice and I myself didnt get a chance to see McNeill but Winston looked slow against speedy DE's and LB's (one has to wonder whether injury has anything to do with it) and D'Brick looked frail of all things and on several ocassions was beaten back.
Daryn Colledge was excellent vs. Kiwi and the BC defense and has impressed me the most of any of the top OTs in this draft class in his bowl game.

Winston has had an awful year. I am shocked that he graded so high.
:confused: The whole USC 0-line has had a great season, and Justice has led the way in pass protection and run blocking. Of the 14 sacks given up, one is credited to Winston. You can't hardly be the blindside anchor to an offense that's done what the Trojans have and also have an awful year. His last two performances against Fresno and UCLA were dominating. Maybe you're thinking of Eric Winston (who's had his struggles) not Winston Justice (who's been great)?? :confused:

He supposedly has million dollar talent but he also clearly has a 2 cent brain. I don't think he is declaring because of potential draft status but because he knows that he will have a tough time remaining academically ineligible if he stays and that would hurt his draft status more than his poor season.
He doesn't have, nor has he ever had academic problems. He was suspended for two semesters, which caused him to miss last season, for brandishing a weapon on campus. His GPA was 3.0 at the time, and he had brought it up from 2.8 as an immature freshman. The misdemeanor was, by all accounts, a practical joke that backfired in the worst possible way. It was an unloaded pellet gun. A stupid move, sure. A 2 cent brain, hardly. Lots of people make mistakes and his response said a lot about him. He spent the missed season working on his weaknesses. He trained with a professional boxing coach and developed the best punch and hands of any of these top OLs. He lowered his body fat, and increased his speed, quickness and upper body strength. He went back to school when the NFL was projecting him as a late first rounder, and he's done nothing but increase his stock.

People will always question his maturity because of a stupid stunt he pulled at the age of 19. Oh well. It shouldn't be a concern to those with a little insight. Several articles have been published about his remorse, depression, hard work and lesson learned. He's become a serious young man, a locker room leader, and a better player.

That being said I understand the Brick is very, very small for a franchise left tackle (280 something lbs?) so maybe Winston can move up more than I would think.
Agreed. But I think the error is the constant comparisons of D'Brick to Jones, Ogden and Pace. I think there's 6 sure fire NFL starting tackles in this draft who will have excellent careers barring injury-- maybe one (or more) is a dominating franchise LT, but I doubt anyone can safely predict who it is. Three of them (at or near the top, DBrick, Justice, Scott) are very hard to rank based on similar talent and performance. McNeill is monstrous, runs better than most of them, takes his craft very seriously, and is more Ogden like than any of them. One of the the other two (Eric Winston) may have the best measureables of the lot. The last, Colledge, does everything you could ask at a very high level. Toss in Trueblood, Whitworth, and O'Callaghan (who would be late first rounders in a normal year), and you have 9 very solid prospects. Then there's three very high quality centers led by Eslinger, and a couple excellent guards, one who (Jean Gilles), who has a rare 1st round guard grade. Finally, there's a couple small school studs who have unusually stellar measureables.

Does the abnormal supply decrease demand? I can't decide. But this draft will be as interesting to me as any draft ever. I'm one who believes OL is the most important piece to the puzzle, but it takes time for a great OL to gel. A team that chooses wisely and exploits this talent pool will be setting itself up for long-term success.

Sorry for rambling. Anyone wanna talk OLs on a fantasy site? :unsure:

Bloom, I know you will. I mentioned Kyle Young possibly coming out with a 1st round center grade. He is staying in school. Eslinger is the man, unquestionably.

Users who are viewing this thread