What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

without giving it away, what's a dead giveaway where for where you're from? (1 Viewer)

"We're heading on up to Dallas this weekend."

Philly friends "No.  You're heading to Dallas.  What's with all this 'on up' crap?"  :rant:

AAABatteries said:
I just heard the term garbage plate for the first time this past Saturday - sounded delicious.  Is this something you recommend?
I didn't get to be a fat chobot by not eating my share of garbage plates.

A ton of places now offer their take, but the original is Tahou's. Needs to have meat hot sauce. Best around 2:30 AM after a night of drinking.

Saying y'all.
Giving directions based on where things used to be.  "It's where the BiLo used to be, right across from where the Piggly Wiggly was."
Barbecue is a noun, not a verb.

Not sure whether or not its already been mentioned, but as soon as I hear someone put "the" in front of a freeway number (e.g., "I was driving on the 10"), I know they're from California (I did the same thing when I moved from CA to TX).

TheIronSheik said:
"We're heading on up to Dallas this weekend."

Philly friends "No.  You're heading to Dallas.  What's with all this 'on up' crap?"  :rant:
I think using "whenever" when you're giving directions is also a Southern thing.  "Whenever you go out to the main road, hang a left at the second stop sign."  

Also, outside of the yinzer accent, I had to leave the area to learn about the missing "to be".  Its very much a western and central PA thing that I never even knew was off.

"The house needs painted" vs "the house needs to be painted".  

"This shirt needs ironed" vs "this shirt needs to be ironed"

I called a guy out as being from PA just on reading some comments in a code reviewn.  he had a missing "to be" in an otherwise well structured and thoughtful sentence. 

I'd never met him or talked to him on the phone (only on slack).  He thought I was a wizard when I knew where he was from.  

Not sure whether or not its already been mentioned, but as soon as I hear someone put "the" in front of a freeway number (e.g., "I was driving on the 10"), I know they're from California (I did the same thing when I moved from CA to TX).
Yeah .  I was going to mention this.  Are you taking the 101 or the 5?

Also, outside of the yinzer accent, I had to leave the area to learn about the missing "to be".  Its very much a western and central PA thing that I never even knew was off.

"The house needs painted" vs "the house needs to be painted".  

"This shirt needs ironed" vs "this shirt needs to be ironed"
It's a central PA thing too:  it took until middle school, but my daughter has finally picked this one up.  It drives me bananas. She also "corrects" me every time I pronounce water correctly... she is convinced it is wooder.  All she needs is to add some "yins" and "you guys" and she will have the most Pennsylvania dialect ever. 

Oh yeah. Hickory.
I was born in Hickory. We moved to Greensboro when I was six months old. My parents are from the foothills of Valdese and Drexel (beside Morganton) near Hickory. My grandparents lived in those two places. My parents lived in Arlington, Va before I was born when my dad was in the Air Force. 

I read about y'all taking about the NC red dogs. I haven't eaten one of those things in years. They have a weird texture to them.  :X

Users who are viewing this thread