What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Working From Home? (1 Viewer)

For those currently working from home

• I've recently started and like it

Votes: 35 17.5%
  • I've been doing it for a while and like it

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I've recently started and don't like it

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • I've been doing it for a while and don't like it

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • N/A

Votes: 69 34.5%

• Total voters
my company had a WFH policy for years, whereby it was up to the dept manager (and most allowed 1 or 2x per week)

But in JAN, we switched buildings (about 1 mile away) and moved to an "open office"........and I mean totally open office, as in,........if you show up for work, you don't have an assigned seat or workstation.   We were told that the company has desks for ~75% of the people in our location (which means up to 25% of workers are now EXPECTED to be remote).  

With that said, i now work from home ~2x per week and it's not bad, for the most part.

I did hear on a Manager's Tools podcast that was talking about remote working conditions......and they were saying that Verizon has a company policy that IF you work from home, you must keep your laptop webcam active.  :eek:

My company, which was already 50% remote, just announced today that we're going 100% for at least the next two weeks.  Small software company with offices in Cambridge, San Mateo, and London that will all be empty for a little while.  

NoVA area kids are home for the next week and a half, some more. Aren't sure many would want to be home, if their kids are able to be home alone!!!

Just rec'd this email :eek: :

Dear Colleagues,

One of our employees is being tested for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) following international travel. As we await the results, we are taking action as a precautionary response and will close the building and badge access will be suspended starting today, March 12 at 9 p.m. until further notice. Employees should take their laptops, headsets and other items needed to work from home with them when they leave today. We ask employees to continue to work from home until they are notified to return.

Real Estate and HSE will coordinate disinfection and cleaning of the building. We will send a further notice prior to reopening. 
This employee was in the office Monday, March 9 but wasn't actively feeling sick or showing symptoms on Monday
We will be in touch directly with individuals who we believe may have been in close contact with the employee being tested for the virus.

Our organization did a work from home “simulation” today.  Then we got word that the PA governor essentially closed down our county (Montgomery County PA) for the next two weeks at least.  Now there’s discussion of extending the work from home period for our building.  Life comes at you fast

I worked from home today. Not because of coronavirus, but because of teacher strike. It was glorious. Took the dog for a long walk. Played some legos with my kid. Took a nap. And got nearly the same amount of work done as I would have were in my office

We got direction that anyone who needs to work from home for health or childcare reasons can work from home if able to

my house was a whirwind on the day i was home. with the kids not just playing, but wandering in and out, needing to eat.. the dog was antsy.. the cats were climbing all over everything. 

if i wasn't doing something my mind would wander to "i could throw a load in the dishwasher", or "man that door needs to be replaced". 

i'd not be able to turn that off, i don't think
I’d argue you should be doing these things - take a break, do some manual labor - you will be more productive because of it.  I love working from home - get more done than when I’m in the office.  I’ll get up and start working at 6 or 6:30 instead of showering, getting ready and driving for an hour.  The reverse is true at the end of the day.  I could work remote virtually all the time if it was allowed.

Dominoes are starting to fall. It's about to get nuts. We might only be hours away.

The thing is, it's not just the call. The recovery plan is what's going to be the real wild ride. I have no idea. None. This particular time of year... I mean, no time is a good time, but, where this is hitting right now... with what was already looming in the short term horizon... 

Much smarter people than me are making decisions that will swing billions in the next few days and the road back is many months long. 

The rest of this year is going to be a cluster. It won't look at all like any other.
Apologies if I missed it, but what is your company/industry? 

My company can work from home, but myself and others need to use expensive equipment there to work, but there is no traffic now! What was a 35 min drive is now about 17 min. 

Been full time work from home for 4.5 years now, and love it.

I did 28 years of fighting traffic and parking space hunting, and plan to never do that again.
When I took my current position, a regional one, my former boss sent my new boss a letter stating the facility didn't have room for me at the hospital.
I packed up my desktop and all three monitors, and never looked back.

How are peeps in manufacturing handling WFH

We are ready to roll something out but i estimate some office people can WFH for 10% of their tasks while other can WFH on say, 80% of their tasks.

My company just announced my whole department will be working from home the next two weeks. Gulp.

Last edited by a moderator:
KVM switch with dual monitor input 
That's a monitor?

Let's back it up...

What's the process to add a monitor to my laptop? Do I have to buy something like the above, or can I just buy a monitor and plug it in (with right software)?

That's a monitor?

Let's back it up...

What's the process to add a monitor to my laptop? Do I have to buy something like the above, or can I just buy a monitor and plug it in (with right software)?
Box or cables that let you use your current monitors for your PC(?) as well as mouse and keyboard. You can toggle back and forth between the 2 computers for use. 

ETA: Single monitor only requires cable for whatever your monitor connection type is and what you have on your laptop and a function key click

Box or cables that let you use your current monitors for your PC(?) as well as mouse and keyboard. You can toggle back and forth between the 2 computers for use. 
Thanks, gb.

I have a laptop.

I'd like to add a separate bigger monitor so I can actually see what I'm working on if I work from home, and not use the laptop screen.

I honestly thought it was as simple as buying a monitor and maybe downloading software...and plugging it in via USB cable into my laptop.

Not the case?

ETA... I don't own a separate monitor and am looking for advizes about which one I should buy.

Thanks, gb.

I have a laptop.

I'd like to add a separate bigger monitor so I can actually see what I'm working on if I work from home, and not use the laptop screen.

I honestly thought it was as simple as buying a monitor and maybe downloading software...and plugging it in via USB cable into my laptop.

Not the case?
No software needed. Just a cable that can connect the monitor to your laptop. That’s it 

Finally got approval for WFH.

Any recommended monitors to attach to my laptop?

KVM switch with dual monitor input 

That's a monitor?

Let's back it up...

ETA: Single monitor only requires cable for whatever your monitor connection type is and what you have on your laptop and a function key click

Thanks, gb.

I have a laptop.

Not the case?

ETA... I don't own a separate monitor and am looking for advizes about which one I should buy.

No software needed. Just a cable that can connect the monitor to your laptop. That’s it 

So not the boxes that you linked? 

Which monitor?

No boxes. Which monitor? Any of them. Whatever you want to connect your laptop to. 
:loco:

:lmao:

You can pick whatever monitor you want to connect to your laptop. You can use a TV you currently have if you want. Ignore everything else I said. 

I JUST WANT A RECOMMENDATION ON A DECENT BUT AFFORDABLE MONITOR. 
I just ordered this one because Amazon told me to (Amazon's Choice!)....and it was only $93 with good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVL2D2S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also bought a bluetooth keyboard so I don't have to type on the crap keyboard on my laptop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PV6NDB2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I JUST WANT A RECOMMENDATION ON A DECENT BUT AFFORDABLE MONITOR. 
My Daughter (a reserach-aholic like her Dad) went with this; with least expensive, with quality her desire.  Seems nuts here at home that I am working off 3 monitors, she is working off her lap top and a monitor and my son is "at college virtually" off two monitors and a Macbook.  

My Daughter (a reserach-aholic like her Dad) went with this; with least expensive, with quality her desire.  Seems nuts here at home that I am working off 3 monitors, she is working off her lap top and a monitor and my son is "at college virtually" off two monitors and a Macbook.  
And it is the same price as a 12 pack of Charmin on Amazon. Has to be a good deal!

How are peeps in manufacturing handling WFH

We are ready to roll something out but i estimate some office people can WFH for 10% of their tasks while other can WFH on say, 80% of their tasks.
I am not in manufacturing, but our work is in the same situation. It is a gradient where some people can work from home 100%, some can work from home 10%, and others are somewhere in-between. The last update we had before all the schools shut down was to work from home whenever possible, but to keep everything running at 100% by being at the office to do all planned work that we would be doing before COVID-19. I don't know if with schools/daycares closing if there is any new plan to slow work to increase the amount of WFH time for people below 100% WFH. They did ask if there was any resentment towards people that can work from home more, since it also seems to trend with seniority and pay - essentially worker bees need to get up and go to work and be at risk to get sick, executives and upper management sitting at home. I don't think there was any resentment. 

My company announced that we have no work-from-home policy and won't be developing one now. My Sr. Director also chimed in with his own email saying he believes it's not worse than the normal flu season (as he's listening to right-wing radio in his office).

How mad should I be? 🤬

My company announced that we have no work-from-home policy and won't be developing one now. My Sr. Director also chimed in with his own email saying he believes it's not worse than the normal flu season (as he's listening to right-wing radio in his office).

How mad should I be? 🤬
Not sure about mad, but should now realize your boss is an ignorant doosh.

How mad should I be? 🤬
Yeah, this doesn't sound like great people to be working for.

This would definitely bother me but all depends on how good your situation is otherwise.  

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but my understanding is that the reason companies are closing down is to cover themselves so they don't get sued.  If your senior management decides to not only stay open, but put in writing that they don't think it's a big deal, they are exposing the company to risk. If your company has an hr or legal department, they may be responding to this already - if anyone got seriously ill or died or even just sued for medical bills that email might be regrettable. 

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but my understanding is that the reason companies are closing down is to cover themselves so they don't get sued. 
100% the case for a lot of companies. Its going to ht home when people in the office are infected so I expect many more start following suit soon.

The retirement community where I'm working is going to start monitoring visitors(at least workers) temperatures, and employees will have to get checked out. If they kick us off site, there are other buildings going in I can work on, so it's not all bad.

The retirement community where I'm working is going to start monitoring visitors(at least workers) temperatures, and employees will have to get checked out. If they kick us off site, there are other buildings going in I can work on, so it's not all bad.
Some medical facilities around here are doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread