What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Working From Home? (2 Viewers)

For those currently working from home

• I've recently started and like it

Votes: 35 17.5%
  • I've been doing it for a while and like it

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I've recently started and don't like it

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • I've been doing it for a while and don't like it

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • N/A

Votes: 69 34.5%

• Total voters
I am not in manufacturing, but our work is in the same situation. It is a gradient where some people can work from home 100%, some can work from home 10%, and others are somewhere in-between. The last update we had before all the schools shut down was to work from home whenever possible, but to keep everything running at 100% by being at the office to do all planned work that we would be doing before COVID-19. I don't know if with schools/daycares closing if there is any new plan to slow work to increase the amount of WFH time for people below 100% WFH. They did ask if there was any resentment towards people that can work from home more, since it also seems to trend with seniority and pay - essentially worker bees need to get up and go to work and be at risk to get sick, executives and upper management sitting at home. I don't think there was any resentment. 
Thanks

We ended up doing..any office personnel that can work from home tondonsof for the 2 weeks.

We will reevaluate 

Shop guys

I had a meeting with each department to let them know we are operational as usual but understand people may not be able to make it In due to child care. PTO to be used (unless gov steps in) I wont hold attendance issues against anyone for the time being.

If someone dies get sick. PTO to be used and if needed and they need to go on unemployment will will assist and their job will be waiting for them upon their return.

Explained other will WFH but only because they can....etc.

My bank has put me on a 2 week rotation for the next 2 mumfs.  I am home the next 2, then in the following 2.  Rinse repeat thru May.

Received word that we will most likely be going 100% WFH starting the week of 3/23. We are using next week to test out our systems, ensure that VPN can handle all of it etc.

There is also a preliminary schedule for our Sales department:

1. Sales Leadership team will have status call each morning @ 8:30 AM to identify/prioritize daily activity
2. Each channel team  will have status call each morning @ 9:15 AM to identify/prioritize daily activity
3. Each channel team will have mid-day status call @ 12:30 PM to identify if any issues as a group are required to be addressed 
4. Leadership team will have status call each afternoon @ 5:30 PM to discuss daily activity
5. All hands call will be held each MONDAY, WEDNESDAY and FRIDAY at 4:00 PM to address fact vs. fiction, new updates, broad based communication, etc.

Seems a bit of overkill but considering the company leadership has been very hesitant to allow WFH in the past, at least they are developing a path to follow. I can't see this continuing long term but we'll see. Baby steps.

It sounds like a lot of people are working from home for the first time, and their organizations haven't quite figured it out yet.  Here's some tips:

1) Be logged in on time, and have a way to "check in". It doesn't have to be a meeting, and it shouldn't be unless it's necessary.  Just something that indicates you're working and available. Being logged in to the company instant messenger application, a database you use, whatever.  

2) speaking of instant messenger - if you don't have an app for this, consider getting one. It's good to be able to message someone quickly when you can't stop at their desk. Even better if you can figure out group chats.

3) if you have some kind of remote meeting/web conference capability - webex, zoom, etc- get familiar with it and run meetings on it whenever you would be face to face or sharing a computer screen, looking at a document or PowerPoint, whatever. You need a way to communicate one on one and to groups using stuff from your computer.  

4) Instant messenger, email, web conference, text and phone - they all have different uses. 

Use IM for things that can be answered quickly, and don't get upset if you don't get an immediate response.  Some people don't remember to start their IM app when they first log in, others don't notice when it's blinking or whatever it does when you get a message.  

Email is good for asynchronous conversations - i need this by end of day, but not necessarily immediately.  If you need an answer urgently, start with IM and follow up with an email that says hey i tried pinging you on IM earlier, do you know...  They will hate you for using the word ping, but not as much as you hate yourself.  Email is also good when you need a paper trail. 

But be careful with email etiquette.  Praise in public criticize in private.  More importantly - if you need something from someone directly, and you have approval to aski for it, the first email goes directly to them, the second email is forwarding the first and asking for an update, the third has their boss on Cc. If you don't have approval, then the first email goes to their boss, not them - and you're asking the boss to ask them to do something, because the boss is the person who owns that thing.  In an office, people aren't always this formal, but when everyone's remote, it really makes a difference.  

Almost any email or IM conversation that needs someone to look at something can be handled more easily on a web conference. Don't be afraid to start a five minute web conference if it can avoid a 15 minute email conversation.  If you're asking someone to join a conference, offer it, but if they say no don't push it.  They might be busy, naked or have their kids at home - whatever.  Just keep it in your bag of tricks.  

Text messages are only for close friends or dire emergencies.  Don't text me on my personal cell at work unless it's one or the other. 

Phone calls are horrible.  The only thing worse is voicemail.  Voicemail is a way of saying "I tried bothering you by making a device ring in your pocket and not letting it stop until you answered, but because you didn't answer I'm going to force you to dial in to get your message, which I will hurriedly and extemporaneously leave instead of taking the time to write an email". #### you.  

4) Status reports and meetings are good once in a while.  They feel invasive at first but when people aren't sitting in the same room with each other it helps to have a formal reason to get together and communicate about what you're doing.  Don't overdo it, and if people can't attend, keep meeting minutes 

5) have a place where you can keep meeting minutes, project notes, action items, etc.  Next meeting, have a web conference to review that page and update the status of the action items.  If you're the boss, then do 3 things - update the current list live on the web conference so everyone can see it and change things if necessary, send out an email with the link to the page after the meeting, and a little before the next meeting send a friendly reminder note to anyone who was supposed to do something in case they'd forgotten.  Once it becomes part of the culture you can stop doing the last two - you just need to update the notes on the call and follow up on your own stuff.  

If any of this isn't normal for your team and you're doing your "wfh dry run" then recommending these things (in your own words) will be appreciated and make you look like you're taking this seriously. That's important even if you don't think you want to wfh in the future - it's better to look good than bad and it's better to keep the option to wfh on the table as long as possible.  

It sounds like a lot of people are working from home for the first time, and their organizations haven't quite figured it out yet.  Here's some tips:

1) Be logged in on time, and have a way to "check in". It doesn't have to be a meeting, and it shouldn't be unless it's necessary.  Just something that indicates you're working and available. Being logged in to the company instant messenger application, a database you use, whatever.  

2) speaking of instant messenger - if you don't have an app for this, consider getting one. It's good to be able to message someone quickly when you can't stop at their desk. Even better if you can figure out group chats.

3) if you have some kind of remote meeting/web conference capability - webex, zoom, etc- get familiar with it and run meetings on it whenever you would be face to face or sharing a computer screen, looking at a document or PowerPoint, whatever. You need a way to communicate one on one and to groups using stuff from your computer.  

4) Instant messenger, email, web conference, text and phone - they all have different uses. 

Use IM for things that can be answered quickly, and don't get upset if you don't get an immediate response.  Some people don't remember to start their IM app when they first log in, others don't notice when it's blinking or whatever it does when you get a message.  

Email is good for asynchronous conversations - i need this by end of day, but not necessarily immediately.  If you need an answer urgently, start with IM and follow up with an email that says hey i tried pinging you on IM earlier, do you know...  They will hate you for using the word ping, but not as much as you hate yourself.  Email is also good when you need a paper trail. 

But be careful with email etiquette.  Praise in public criticize in private.  More importantly - if you need something from someone directly, and you have approval to aski for it, the first email goes directly to them, the second email is forwarding the first and asking for an update, the third has their boss on Cc. If you don't have approval, then the first email goes to their boss, not them - and you're asking the boss to ask them to do something, because the boss is the person who owns that thing.  In an office, people aren't always this formal, but when everyone's remote, it really makes a difference.  

Almost any email or IM conversation that needs someone to look at something can be handled more easily on a web conference. Don't be afraid to start a five minute web conference if it can avoid a 15 minute email conversation.  If you're asking someone to join a conference, offer it, but if they say no don't push it.  They might be busy, naked or have their kids at home - whatever.  Just keep it in your bag of tricks.  

Text messages are only for close friends or dire emergencies.  Don't text me on my personal cell at work unless it's one or the other. 

Phone calls are horrible.  The only thing worse is voicemail.  Voicemail is a way of saying "I tried bothering you by making a device ring in your pocket and not letting it stop until you answered, but because you didn't answer I'm going to force you to dial in to get your message, which I will hurriedly and extemporaneously leave instead of taking the time to write an email". #### you.  

4) Status reports and meetings are good once in a while.  They feel invasive at first but when people aren't sitting in the same room with each other it helps to have a formal reason to get together and communicate about what you're doing.  Don't overdo it, and if people can't attend, keep meeting minutes 

5) have a place where you can keep meeting minutes, project notes, action items, etc.  Next meeting, have a web conference to review that page and update the status of the action items.  If you're the boss, then do 3 things - update the current list live on the web conference so everyone can see it and change things if necessary, send out an email with the link to the page after the meeting, and a little before the next meeting send a friendly reminder note to anyone who was supposed to do something in case they'd forgotten.  Once it becomes part of the culture you can stop doing the last two - you just need to update the notes on the call and follow up on your own stuff.  

If any of this isn't normal for your team and you're doing your "wfh dry run" then recommending these things (in your own words) will be appreciated and make you look like you're taking this seriously. That's important even if you don't think you want to wfh in the future - it's better to look good than bad and it's better to keep the option to wfh on the table as long as possible.  
I’d add if you have kids/pets make sure to mute yourself when not talking on conference calls

My company has not made a formal declaration regarding WFH. There are a lot of people that could and probably do at some frequency. I can work from home but couldn’t do it every day. There are too many aspects of my job that require me to be onsite but I could likely do it 1 day/week without too much difficulty. I also live close enough to work that I could come in if an emergency arose. 

My company has restricted all international and domestic travel for business purposes. 
As of yesterday, all exempt employees are to work from home unless it’s absolutely necessary to come in on a “limited, critical basis”. If we go in, we have to notify our boss and the next level up. All meetings are Webex only. 

I work for a manufacturing company and all tool operators and technicians are still required to come in to keep the factory running. Start times are being offset for each to minimize the number of people in the entry/exit area at the same time. 

My firm (accounting/financial services) finally went WFH.  Can’t believe they took this long.  No travel, no client meetings except via phone/webex.  

our office went to a staggered work arrangement. They split us into 3 groups and only one goes in per day.

Better than nothing I guess, but I'm more concerned with being exposed to the thousands of people I'm near every time I commute (NJ Transit, subway, walking straight through Times Square) than the ~100 or so in the office.

Wouldn't shock me if we go full work from home by next week, but for now, I'll still be walking straight through the center of civilization surrounded by the unwashed masses. Thankfully I'm young and healthy, but I've decided to avoid my parents (both of whom are 60+) until things calm down. Just isn't worth the risk.

Any suggestions on running a distributed team? Should I try slack or some Microsoft or Google product?

We have the ability to go to the office to execute hands on work in the labs and shops, but there's a lot that can be done from home.

Any suggestions on running a distributed team? Should I try slack or some Microsoft or Google product?

We have the ability to go to the office to execute hands on work in the labs and shops, but there's a lot that can be done from home.
Can say firsthand that Slack is pretty good for group communications.    It's the best app I've ever worked with for this kind of thing.  I've never worked with Microsoft Teams but i hear mixed things, I guess it helps if you are an entirely Microsoft office, which we definitely are not.

Between Slack-Jira-Confluence-Zoom we have just about all our needs covered, whether in the office or virtual.  All of those products are top of the line as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure if it is general or just where I work, but Slack only has an Apple version, no Android. So it can't be used company-wide. We rely on Skype.

I work at a small college. Most of campus has closed down, but a few dozen students remain in the halls. All are being moved to single rooms this weekend. As of Friday, we are keeping the student center and admin building open. By my count all but 4 of us still required to come to campus work in offices and can easily avoid contact with others. The rest of our employees are spending these two weeks (this week was already spring break, the one after was added) preparing to go online after extended spring break is over. 

That said, I spent last week getting ahead with work and intend to do the same this week. I think it's possible we are required to WFH sometime over the next 2 weeks. 

I’d add if you have kids/pets make sure to mute yourself when not talking on conference calls
Good call.  Even if you don't, just mute yourself whenever you're not talking.  Nobody wants to hear you type/breathe/cough/ whatever.  
This. We have weekly conference calls with personnel spread from Europe to Hawaii.  Rustling paper is the worst offender, but I can’t count the number of times we’ve had to stop and listen to someone ordering at a drive-thru.  :wall:

I just found out that Zoom has the ability to change the background image, even without a green screen. 

Now I'm trying to find just the right background image for the first Zoom WFH meeting....thoughts?

Also, a tip if you use Zoom. Mute your microphone and use the space bar when you talk, like a walkie-talkie....the default need to be set as microphone off.

DaVinci said:
This. We have weekly conference calls with personnel spread from Europe to Hawaii.  Rustling paper is the worst offender, but I can’t count the number of times we’ve had to stop and listen to someone ordering at a drive-thru.  :wall:
Skype lets the organizer mute people, including a mute all function. So when some duffus is opening his bag of Lays or typing away, you can just mute them.

As a software developer, the general policy of my unit is to allow us to work from home if we need to, but not take advantage of it. I usually work from home about 1 day or 2 days every couple of weeks.  Sometimes I work from home part days due to meetings.   Policy is set at the unit level right now, not company wide.  I suspect all IT people in our organization will transition to working from home if this outbreak gets any worse.

As a software developer, the general policy of my unit is to allow us to work from home if we need to, but not take advantage of it. 
How would you take advantage of it per se? If there's no need to go to the office to accomplish your work, then doing anything OTHER than WFH is irresponsible and, quite frankly, stupid. 

My State client just gave me the go ahead to WFH starting tomorrow in advance of state initiative coming out tomorrow morning most likely. I wonder how many weeks they’re going to announce.

Trying to improve my Zoom virtual background game to keep it interesting and lighten the mood when appropriate.  I've got the Guggenheim interior, modern office interior, some cool graphics, Bora Bora, LeMans, and my favorite mood lifter - the nic cage peeking over the windows green hill.  Would also like to add some modern art, but havent settled on anything yet.  Whatcha got?

I just found out that Zoom has the ability to change the background image, even without a green screen. 

Now I'm trying to find just the right background image for the first Zoom WFH meeting....thoughts?

Also, a tip if you use Zoom. Mute your microphone and use the space bar when you talk, like a walkie-talkie....the default need to be set as microphone off.
dammit, didn't see this and posted the same above.  depends on your company culture, interests, etc.  landmarks, landscapes, art and sports all work well.  i work for a software company, so i see a lot of star wars and trek stuff from the developer/engineer community - but that's not me.

DallasDMac said:
Not sure if it is general or just where I work, but Slack only has an Apple version, no Android. So it can't be used company-wide. We rely on Skype.
Slack is available on any device, pc, mac, iphone, android.  Just where you work

Struggling to maintain a VPN connection
I"m assuming that may be an internal IT issue as you don't have enough VPN ports to support the numbers of users logging in?

Our IT department has noted those items that require VPN access (access to shared drives, access to intranet) versus those that don't (e-mail, external website browsing, etc) and people should be logging into VPN when needed or log out when not needed.

So far no WFH decree from my nationwide engineering firm.  Funny thing is, at least with my department, we have hardly any client meetings or anything.  We are completely set up to be WFH, and in fact, some of the PMs and support staff already work remote. I'm not sure why they haven't sent us home yet.

I'm actually hoping they keep us here, though.  I don't get ANYTHING done at home.  I would probably work from my parents' place.

Senor Schmutzig said:
I"m assuming that may be an internal IT issue as you don't have enough VPN ports to support the numbers of users logging in?

Our IT department has noted those items that require VPN access (access to shared drives, access to intranet) versus those that don't (e-mail, external website browsing, etc) and people should be logging into VPN when needed or log out when not needed.

Blue Dot Orange Dot said:
Me too. I was doing fine at 6:30 this morning but now I’m having issues. Apparently everyone else at my company woke up. 
They sent a note out finally

@bicycle_seat_sniffer is on it.  Maybe.  He does something with computers for my company 

One thing i'm noticing is that in the office I take a break and walk down the hall to get water, walk to the printer, etc. Also have a standing desk.  I'm finding myself sitting on my ### too much and drinking a lot less water.

One thing i'm noticing is that in the office I take a break and walk down the hall to get water, walk to the printer, etc. Also have a standing desk.  I'm finding myself sitting on my ### too much and drinking a lot less water.
I have been working from home when needed (and on Wednesdays) for years.  I have certainly noticed that I am AWFUL at drinking water when I am at home. 

I've started walking outside on calls.  helps somewhat.

Hearing back from some folks being shifted to WFH with scheduling / work / childcare issues. Their company understands people need to do stuff with kids in the daytime, so they are trying to stagger the workday. As in work from 5 am to 9 am, deal with your kids from 9 am to 1 pm, then work again from 1 pm to 5 pm. The problem is, they have to interact with external companies that aren't available at 5 am, they need to work straight through the day, and they have kids that need the available computer resources in the house for school. Also, their busiest time of the work day is from 9:00-1:00.

I can see working from home without any kids around, but I have a much harder time seeing people being able to WFH while trying to watch kindergarteners and elementary age kids at the same time (helping with homework or assignments). In our state, they are allowing people to go on unemployment while their kids are home, but that would only pay out a little more than minimum wage (so not a great option either).

With high school kids out from school, some have been reaching out to babysit but apparently that is being frowned upon during what should be "school hours." Thankfully we don't have young kids to worry about, but I am guessing that is a trying situation for those who do. There has been talk of having kids of healthcare workers watched at the schools, but that goes against the keep all kids out of the schools mandate, Will be interesting to see what they come up with as a work around.

I suppose because I worked at home for over 5 years before I moved to this new company it is "second nature" to me.. But I am amazed in this day in age how many people at the new company I work for are at a loss on "how" to work from home..

enough so they just sent out a "Training event" for Wednesday..  "will go over everything you need to know regarding network connections, troubleshooting, tips to keep you productive while WFH, and more."  :whoosh:  

My company offered two weeks paid time off if you have small children at home that lost their school/daycare. I have none, so don't benefit. But it's a pretty awesome move on their part.

I have been working from home when needed (and on Wednesdays) for years.  I have certainly noticed that I am AWFUL at drinking water when I am at home. 
It’s funny - it’s been the exact opposite for me.  Since wfh I’ve laid off soda at lunch and stuck to strictly water.  Also afraid to tap into our food supplies too much. Anyway,  lost 6lbs this week.  Meanwhile my 401k has lost an additional 50lbs. :kicksrock:

I dropped my son off at school, went for a jog, and have done about 1k pushups. I ate a healthy breakfast and lunch, and accomplished all of my work.

I could get used to social distancing and working from home. 
There are some good things about it, but also some very weird things. Just not sure how I feel about it at this point. I think if the kids had regular school days it would be a lot easier. It’s hard having regular full work days with them all at home. 

There are some good things about it, but also some very weird things. Just not sure how I feel about it at this point. I think if the kids had regular school days it would be a lot easier. It’s hard having regular full work days with them all at home. 
Are you working from home? Admittedly, when i see news out of NYC, I think about you being stuck on mass transit and wonder how you're doing. #nomancrush

Are you working from home? Admittedly, when i see news out of NYC, I think about you being stuck on mass transit and wonder how you're doing. #nomancrush
Yeah we went to optional WFH as of yesterday, which everyone is taking advantage of. No way is anyone going into Manhattan in mass transit now who doesn’t have to. Manhattan becoming a ghost town. 

We packed up our #### and left NYC Friday. Drove straight through to Florida; have a large house, office, game room, pool, jacuzzi... Made an epic Walmart run when I got here, and now we're just relaxing. I've never been this productive and drunk simultaneously in my life.

Just got the word that our small office is WFH for the remainder of the month.  Kinda torn on it.  I definitely enjoy WFH, but there is a lot that can be done and discussed faster in the office with co-workers.....at a safe distance of course.

They finally gave us the option here, for the next two weeks.  I am coming into my office.  Several folks took the liberty of staying home.  Even if they hadn't, I am a good 15-20 feet from anyone, in a private office.  

Encouraged to stay home, but I'm not sure there is anywhere safer than my office.  There are 2 of us here in 10,000 sq ft of space.  I have about 15 conference room TVs to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread