What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst airport you've ever spent time in (1 Viewer)

And for Denver, that's my least favorite US airport.

As for global, you don't know a bad airport until you experience the hell that is Bangalore, India's airport. You take a wrong turn in that place and you're facing a B&E charge for going into some poor family's shanty
It's been a decade since I flew into New Delhi.  I was tired and jetlagged but I could have sworn I saw passengers cooking food in the terminal.  I've been told they've separated international travelers better since then but it puts first world complaints about airport sushi into perspective.

I don’t get the o’hare hate.  Except those toilets. So stupid. 
I don't either, unless you're flying United going out of Terminal 1, and you're late.  That run to the gate sucks.....it's much longer than you think. 

If you're in OHare, Garrett's popcorn is a must.  The caramel popcorn is so good.

I don't either, unless you're flying United going out of Terminal 1, and you're late.  That run to the gate sucks.....it's much longer than you think. 

If you're in OHare, Garrett's popcorn is a must.  The caramel popcorn is so good.
The ORD experience is different for travelers terminating vs. transferring there.  Changing planes in terminal 1 can be a track meet.

Worst in World - Santorini Greece.  It's worse than African airports I've been in.  Nothing in the US touches this place.  You cannot go to the bathroom.  No matter what do not enter. I threw up upon entrance about 8 years ago.  I'm guessing my puke is still there.  Crap and used lady items on the floors in both sexes of bathrooms.  It's worse than a ghetto street in Mumbai.   There aren't any seats.  None.  Rude people.  Smoking everywhere no matter what the signs say. No food.  Totally unrepresentative of the rest of a trip to Santorini.

Worst Overall in US -   Newark for many reasons mentioned here.  JFK international terminal is pretty close too.

Worst located US -  Denver.  The airport is great.  It's 35 minutes from the city.  And in the wrong direction from everything important.

Worst for getting to your plane -  All the big ones can be a pain.  But Dulles in NOVA takes the cake.  To get to the United terminal, it takes exactly 28 minutes once you are past security.  Longest walk ever. The buses and rail put you off nowhere near your gate.  So you walk forever to a bus, which then takes forever to get to the gate terminal, which then takes you on a 10+ minute walk to your actual gate.  Even where they have the rail running, it's terrible.  And all this stinks, but if you happen to use the long term parking add another 25 minutes to the process.  And if you decide you want something to eat, you have to walk all the way back to almost where you started.

Worst for getting to your plane -  All the big ones can be a pain.  But Dulles in NOVA takes the cake.  To get to the United terminal, it takes exactly 28 minutes once you are past security.  Longest walk ever. The buses and rail put you off nowhere near your gate.  So you walk forever to a bus, which then takes forever to get to the gate terminal, which then takes you on a 10+ minute walk to your actual gate.  Even where they have the rail running, it's terrible.  And all this stinks, but if you happen to use the long term parking add another 25 minutes to the process.  And if you decide you want something to eat, you have to walk all the way back to almost where you started.
Dulles is, by far, the most convenient for me but I hate using it for the reasons you list. It's worse (for me) returning than leaving. All I want to do is get home and you're an hour getting out of the place even with no checked luggage. 

I fly out of Dulles 8 or 10 times a year.  Always on Thursday nights and usually on Virgin America.  TSA used to be problematic but has been smooth since they moved things downstairs.  I seldom wait more than 10 minutes to get through regardless of whether I'm Precheck or not.  The subway runs frequently and I've never encountered an out of service escalator.  Maybe that's just a function of day and time.

When I'm traveling United, it's a longer haul to the gate but not unbearably so.

Mostly rep. I'm sure Detroit has some good parts.

Was there for the Seahawks superbowl got lost trying to find a Kinko's and thought I may die. Again in the summer of maybe 2002 or so when there was a power outage. Not the best times I suppose.
Detroit has come a long long long way since the Super Bowl. It was a cool event but it came 12 years too early. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Detroit has come a long long long way since the Super Bowl. It was a cool event but it came 12 years too eary. 
DTW airport (McNamara terminal) is actually really nice. It's huge but they have two trams that can take travelers to either side. Whereas JFK terminal 4 has no trams. You have to walk or run to your gate depending on how long it took to get through TSA. And the furthest gates are literally 3/4 mile or more from TSA. The other thing I hate about JFK terminal 4 is that there are only two baggage claim belts and their crew must be one of the slowest in the business. It usually takes like 20-30 min to get bags. And it's probably another reason they make you walk as far as possible when you arrive. 

Not sure why all the hate for Heathrow. But I’ve only been once just a couple years ago. KC though...man it looks like something out of the early 60s. My favorites are ones with light rail on site. Reagan, Portland, Seattle come to mind.

Not sure why all the hate for Heathrow. But I’ve only been once just a couple years ago. KC though...man it looks like something out of the early 60s. My favorites are ones with light rail on site. Reagan, Portland, Seattle come to mind.

Munich's airport is frigging awesome, BTW.  Got hung up there for a few hours several years ago and wandered into a restaurant called Airbrau (IIRC) - it was fn fantastic.  Huge mugs of great beer, delicious food for super-reasonable prices.  They had what I think they called the Hangman's Lunch for $1 - a glass of water, a cigarette, and a roll.  :lol:

DTW airport (McNamara terminal) is actually really nice. It's huge but they have two trams that can take travelers to either side. Whereas JFK terminal 4 has no trams. You have to walk or run to your gate depending on how long it took to get through TSA. And the furthest gates are literally 3/4 mile or more from TSA. The other thing I hate about JFK terminal 4 is that there are only two baggage claim belts and their crew must be one of the slowest in the business. It usually takes like 20-30 min to get bags. And it's probably another reason they make you walk as far as possible when you arrive. 
I meant the city itself had come a long way, but you are right. The airport is much improved. It helps that both terminals are <20 years old. I can not even imagine having a big terminal without a tram. 

I love Detroit. :shrug:

Pretty bummed SWA stopped flying into Flint.  That airport is all kinds of awesome.  Roomy, clean, great beers, cool antique cars, nice people, no security lines.  Also a hell of a lot more convenient to where my in-laws live.  Detroit airport is fine; wish they had better bars and restaurants than Ruby Tuesday or TGI McScratchy's.  
Yeah bishop is a great airport. DTW is only an hour by car but when I fly to Michigan I’m going up north so Flint was nice. 

I hate Dulles. I tell people who are coming to see me not to fly to that airport because it’s a horrible drive for me and the airport sucks. 

Good US airports: Detroit, Cincinnati, Austin, DFW isn’t bad for a huge airport, Tampa, Vegas 

Bad US airports: all metro NYC, Philadelphia, Denver, Atlanta

Good foreign airports: Brussels, Geneva, Frankfurt,  London Stansted, Venice, Dubai, Johannesburg 

Bad foreign airports: D’jimena, Maputo, Dushanbe, Pristina, Sayhut Yemen, Freetown, Herat 

most intereting airport: Ashgabat 

Last edited by a moderator:
Munich's airport is frigging awesome, BTW.  Got hung up there for a few hours several years ago and wandered into a restaurant called Airbrau (IIRC) - it was fn fantastic.  Huge mugs of great beer, delicious food for super-reasonable prices.  They had what I think they called the Hangman's Lunch for $1 - a glass of water, a cigarette, and a roll.  :lol:
Yeah Munich (for Lufthansa) and Copenhagen (for SAS) are my two favorite airports for making connections in Europe.  Neither are particularly small (though they are compared to Frankfort if you are making a connection to another Schengen flight...I can see why someone going for the US to Frankfurt to Dubai would like it), but they are well organized and have good places to eat.  Copenhagen's transit is also excellent if you have a really long layover and want to go into town.

Yeah bishop is a great airport. DTW is only an hour by car but when I fly to Michigan I’m going up north so Flint was nice. 

I hate Dulles. I tell people who are coming to see me not to fly to that airport because it’s a horrible drive for me and the airport sucks. 

Good US airports: Detroit, Cincinnati, Austin, DFW isn’t bad for a huge airport, Tampa, Vegas 

Good foreign airports: Brussels, Geneva, Frankfort, London Stansted, Venice, Dubai, Johannesburg 

Bad foreign airports: D’jimena, Maputo, Dushanbe, Pristina, Sayhut Yemen, Freetown, Herat 

See Cincy made your list, care to explain? 

We keep our airport like that on purpose so all you grumpy east and west coasters don't move here. 
Hope this isn't a Hipple, but wasn't there a new airport approved recently?  I travel to KC a lot for business and I would like a better airport (and hopefully more flights).  

Oh and BWI is great. I’m equal distance to National or BWI as my home airport and I use BWI 90% of the time. 

I’d go to Philadelphia before Dulles, #### Dulles. 

Currently doing time in KCs, waiting impatiently for a connecting flight out of here.

I'm by far not the most frequent traveller, but this place is (maybe) a shade better than what I imagine a third world one would be.

Horrid.

I'm sure there are worse?
Kansas City Airport is by far the most frustrating, stupid, confusing, aggravating airport I've spent time in.  And I travel a ton for work, so I've seen a lot of airports. 

On the flip side, my favorite airport to travel through is Dallas. 

Good foreign airports: Brussels, Geneva, Frankfort, London Stansted, Venice, Dubai, Johannesburg 

Great list, I'll add the following for international airports:

Good: Reykjavik, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Tokyo Narita, Munich, Zurich

Bad: Paris Charles de Gaulle

Hope this isn't a Hipple, but wasn't there a new airport approved recently?  I travel to KC a lot for business and I would like a better airport (and hopefully more flights).  
Yeah. It's been approved by the voters. They are just trying to figure out who is going to build it. The way Kansas City operates, this could take anywhere from 1 to 89 years.

Yeah, BWI is a piece of cake compared to Dulles. Reagan's location is its worse feature - inside the airport is fine.
I love Reagan.  But I live a stone's throw from the airport, so the location is great for me.  It's also feels small and easy for an airport that services an entire city.  Dulles is a nightmare location for me.  And it's too GD big.  I avoid at all costs. 

Yeah Munich (for Lufthansa) and Copenhagen (for SAS) are my two favorite airports for making connections in Europe.  Neither are particularly small (though they are compared to Frankfort if you are making a connection to another Schengen flight...I can see why someone going for the US to Frankfurt to Dubai would like it), but they are well organized and have good places to eat.  Copenhagen's transit is also excellent if you have a really long layover and want to go into town.
I had an outstanding smorrebrod in the Copenhagen airport once.  Really good.  Expensive, but delicious.

Seconded on the transport too - super easy to use and people were friendly as hell.  We were able to locker our bags and hop on a train to Freetown Christiania for a few hours and then back to the airport high as giraffe ###.  About 15-20 minutes each way and super easy to use.

Oslo airport wasn't too bad either, but transportation to/from the city was outrageously expensive.  On second thought, everything was.  I think I paid $8.50 for a shot of espresso.

I don't get the hate for Dulles.  Its not my favorite airport, but they have cold beer and tons of direct flights.  I travel to DC quite a bit.  I can either transfer into Reagan/BWI or direct into Dulles.  I do the direct every time and have never regretted the decision.

Shanghai airport was probably my least favorite...could actually taste the air it was so thick with smog.  Not enough jet bridges so bused out to the planes and climbed the stairs.  Lounges looking run down even though clean.   Half the stores/restaurants boarded up or closed during the middle of the day.

Miami if we are talking domestic, have never had a good experience going through there.

Seconded on the transport too - super easy to use and people were friendly as hell.  We were able to locker our bags and hop on a train to Freetown Christiania for a few hours and then back to the airport high as giraffe ###.  About 15-20 minutes each way and super easy to use.

Oslo airport wasn't too bad either, but transportation to/from the city was outrageously expensive.  On second thought, everything was.  I think I paid $8.50 for a shot of espresso.
Norwegian Air is the cheapest carrier from the US West Coast to Western Europe.  Turkish Air is sometimes cheaper to Istanbul but that's an extra few hours. 

A non-stop from Oakland to Copenhagen or Oslo for $300 is mighty tempting but Mrs Eephus hasn't recovered enough from her Achilles surgery.  I've seen them have sales for half that price which is just ridiculous.

Dulles is, by far, the most convenient for me but I hate using it for the reasons you list. It's worse (for me) returning than leaving. All I want to do is get home and you're an hour getting out of the place even with no checked luggage. 
Odd - I fly into/out of there on United 5 or 6 times a year and have never noticed this.  I've done the bus trip but it seems like the bus is within a couple minutes of security and drops you off within a few minutes walk of your gate.  It is a long walk but I don't think I've ever taken 25 minutes to get out of there once I'm off the plane and that's including waiting for Uber to pick me up.

I'm not nearly as well-traveled as many of you but I cannot think of any US airport that requires as much time and walking as Dulles. I'm tired. I have luggage. I might have kids with me. I like being in the car ten fifteen minutes from disembarking (LAX every time). I don't care much about amenities because I don't use them. My destination is always Vienna so Dulles makes sense, but if I started listing airports I prefer, it's a long long list.

Norwegian Air is the cheapest carrier from the US West Coast to Western Europe.  Turkish Air is sometimes cheaper to Istanbul but that's an extra few hours. 

A non-stop from Oakland to Copenhagen or Oslo for $300 is mighty tempting but Mrs Eephus hasn't recovered enough from her Achilles surgery.  I've seen them have sales for half that price which is just ridiculous.
That's how I ended up in those airports. I got those same rates to Europe from Orlando, flew into Oslo and caught a connecting flight to Munich. On the way back, it was a quick flight Amsterdam to Copenhagen, spent a day there and then flew back from Denmark. Had a chance to see (briefly) a couple of other cities and saved thousands over flying direct. 

I'm not nearly as well-traveled as many of you but I cannot think of any US airport that requires as much time and walking as Dulles. I'm tired. I have luggage. I might have kids with me. I like being in the car ten fifteen minutes from disembarking (LAX every time). I don't care much about amenities because I don't use them. My destination is always Vienna so Dulles makes sense, but if I started listing airports I prefer, it's a long long list.
I'm going to Vienna in December. Hit me up with some spots!

Quite the exaggerations here.

Are you a woman? Newark is surrounded by (too many) highways. Unless you're staying in a #### hotel in Newark itself you should have absolutely no worry about safety when flying in/out. 
You don't seem like you know crap about the area.  I have been put up in hotels by the airline after my flight was cancelled.   Some hell hole Ramada a few minutes from the airport.  I have had to find.a gas station to fill up my rental car close to the airport and ended up in some terrible areas around there.  South Chicago. Gary, Detroit seem safe in camparison.  I

I've had good experiences with Cincinnati the few times I've transferred through there. 
Ive been there several times.  No complaints for a smaller airport.  Not sure about the dia hate.  I understand it's in the middle of nowhere, but I've never had a bad experience (knocks on wood).

Gonna spend the next 3 hours at sfo then a 3 hour layover in Cincy, gb having acces to clubs at both 

Users who are viewing this thread