What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst ever crop of Rookie WRs in 2017? (1 Viewer)

WheelsUp

Footballguy
With the exception of Juju and maybe Kupp, the crew has been unusable. Zay Jones hasnt done much until this last game.

Davis
Williams
Jones
Ross
Smith-Schuster
Godwin
Samuel
Golladay
Taylor
Henderson
Westbrook
Kupp

If you can think of another, by all means go for it. But this is a bad group.

I drafted Juju & Kupp in both leagues because I was very high on them. Looks like I made the right call. Carry on

Worst ever group for re-draft or dynasty? By what metric? Does it occur to you that the top-2 rated WR's (in terms of pre-draft talent ranking) have missed the majority of the season with various ailments?

Can this group get off of your dreaded list by performing well in the future? Or are they forever doomed because of their rookie years?

Do you publish a manifesto?

injuries have been big. Has Davis, Williams or Ross played a game this year at 100%, I don't think so. Golladay also looked like he earned a role right away only to get hurt. Henderson on IR right away otherwise maybe he is getting the targets fowler is and does decent. Westbrook looked good in preseason but ended up hurt. As far as Godwin, Samuel and Taylor there's veterans in front of them. We got spoiled by the 2014 monster class of WRs so yes they have been disappointing but no I don't think this class had been that bad

Seems Higgins is being condescending because and my guess is someone owns a few of them.

I did say worse group of "rookies" I also said they have been unusable with no prediction of the future.

To be honest, your response is angry a bit and screams of owning a few of the flops. This group stinks this year, period. Read into that with whatever anger you may.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems Higgins is being condescending because and my guess is someone owns a few of them.

I did say worse group of "rookies" I also said they have been unusable with no prediction of the future.

To be honest, your response is angry a bit and screams of owning a few of the flops. This group stinks this year, period. Read into that with whatever anger you may.
I only own Kupp, Jones and Golloday (who has looked good when healthy) so I don't think I'm coming across from a bitter perspective, but I'd tend to agree it's too early to judge the group as a whole after nine games. I know the trend has turned a bit towards rookie WRs showing signs of life earlier and earlier, but not all rookie WRs hit the ground running and as other's have pointed out the three guys taken in the top 10 of the draft have not been healthy yet for long enough periods of time.

To be honest, your response is angry
To be honest? Why start a sentence with that? Because normally you lie? Or normally you would be kind and gentle in your analysis, but today you feel its best to just be brutally honest and not spare your new opponent the wrath of your rapier logic. 

Also, whenever I see someone on the intergoogle immediately jump to imposing some negative emotions on another poster it means they realize they can't win an argument that's about to happen. The only way you can "win" is to demean them and label them automatically as overly emotion. Speaking of emotional, go back and read your first post. Who's being logical and who's being emotional?

Worst ever? Maybe. Time will tell. What's to be gained from this exercise? Actually, don't bother. I apologize, I shouldn't have taken the time to reply. My mistake. Now if I could just get that time back that used to type this... :kicksrock:

Seems with players like Watson, OBJ and Zeke coming into the league patience has slipped to zero for player development. These guys are exceptions. I see plenty of talent there, just not being utilized their rookie year. Golladay, Godwin, Henderson, Westbrook and Davis I expect to be valuable assets at some point. If this discussion is for redraft this is par for the course.

The production has been bad with very few exceptions, I agree. But with all those injuries, it's way too soon to say anything beyond that and the second half with a lot of those guys getting healthy should tell a different story. 

I'm not sure what you are expecting but historically season 1 for WRs is generally bad.  There is a substantial learning curve for that position as they transition to the NFL. Running backs are able to transition much quicker because they have far less to learn (and their play is much less dependent on other players - they don't have to be very in sync with the QB).

Season 1 stats

Fitzgerald - 58/780 yards

Jordy - 38/330 yards

Gronk 42/586 yards

etc... many, many examples.

It's actually pretty rare for any WR to come in and dominate day 1.  Beckham, Green, and Moss are exceptions to the rule (and should be treated as such). Give these guys time to learn their craft. You can't write any of those guys off, yet.

/thread

Seems like there are multiple WRs drafted in the first couple of rounds, relatively healthy, and yet have barely seen the field.

It's starting out like a down year for WRs, but as others have pointed out, it's still kinda early

An immediate great WR has not jumped out of the pack but it is early.  Many have been injured and others are simply not out on the field due to talent in front of them.  We will know more after next season. 

The real question here is n this usually happens once or twice a year where a rookie wr emerges second half of season ..who will it be ...someone will put up numbers n emerge from the group ...

he should come back this week for sure.. 

Samuel saw the most snaps of the Carolina wr core .. definitely a good sign .. He has speed to burn.. Newton keeps missing him long ...

Mike Williams is a injury away from being productive..  Keenan Allen and Benjamin r not going anywhere .. Tyrell Williams is hanging around

Golladay-  If Golladay can get healthy he will produce.. Has ultra upside 

Davis- Hes fine and will produce wr 2 numbers ros

Kuup-  Hes a flex player

Shuster- Wr2/3  ROS

Are the rookie WRs from the year before that much better?
This is it in a nutshell.

If we can agree that Juju and Kupp are starting on fantasy teams every week... then that's pretty much par for course (maybe better) for rookie WRs.

The real question here is n this usually happens once or twice a year where a rookie wr emerges second half of season ..who will it be ...someone will put up numbers n emerge from the group ...
What rookie WR has a QB to throw them the ball or, for that matter, a team that looks to throw the ball? Look at the list of QB’s we’re dealing with: Beathard, Savage, Stanton, Hundley, Fitzpatrick, Trubisky, Kizer, Brissett, Osweiler... not to mention mediocre campaigns by Roethlisberger, Manning and Flacco.

Seems with players like Watson, OBJ and Zeke coming into the league patience has slipped to zero for player development. These guys are exceptions. I see plenty of talent there, just not being utilized their rookie year. Golladay, Godwin, Henderson, Westbrook and Davis I expect to be valuable assets at some point. If this discussion is for redraft this is par for the course.

I'm not sure what you are expecting but historically season 1 for WRs is generally bad.  There is a substantial learning curve for that position as they transition to the NFL. Running backs are able to transition much quicker because they have far less to learn (and their play is much less dependent on other players - they don't have to be very in sync with the QB).

/thread
was basically going to say something similar.  I feel like 10 years ago in dynasty (maybe less) I felt like almost any touted rookie WR I went after was a total crapshoot (yes, I'm looking at you Troy Williamson).

WheelsUp said:
With the exception of Juju and maybe Kupp, the crew has been unusable. Zay Jones hasnt done much until this last game.

Davis
Williams
Jones
Ross
Smith-Schuster
Godwin
Samuel
Golladay
Taylor
Henderson
Westbrook
Kupp

If you can think of another, by all means go for it. But this is a bad group.
Speak for yourself, DeDe is going to take us to a championship. 

Its too early to draw any conclusions about this. Need at least 3 seasons to try to fairly evaluate these WR as a group as compared to other draft classes.

Likely not as bad as say 1997 2000 or 2002 for example, and even those drafts had a few WR to became valuable for fantasy eventually.

If you are just talking about how this draft compares to others drafts for how the WR performed as rookies, I am sure you can find worse ones than this by that criteria. As others have mentioned WR usually don't perform all that well in their rookie seasons.

Look at the 2001 draft class for example.

Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, Chris Chambers, Steve Smith sr, Koren Robinson, Santana Moss, Rod Gardner, TJ Houshmandzadeh all became relevant fantasy players at some point. Some obviously more than others, but the only one who really did much as a rookie was Chambers.

Season 1 stats

Fitzgerald - 58/780 yards

Jordy - 38/330 yards

Gronk 42/586 yards

etc... many, many examples.

It's actually pretty rare for any WR to come in and dominate day 1.  Beckham, Green, and Moss are exceptions to the rule (and should be treated as such). Give these guys time to learn their craft. You can't write any of those guys off, yet.

/thread
You were doing well up until the last line.  You can't /thread your own post.  That's bush league.

I didn't find his response condescending at all  In fact, I thought it was representative of what many are thinking.  I don't draft too many rookie WRs in redraft.  Generally not worth the risk.  But, like many here, I'm drafting for the long haul and sometimes these things take time to work out.

Your response screams of being a newbie to the hobby - since we're being honest.

I am trying to comprehend what was so controversial about my post that has the bitter people angry? Was it the names of the rookie WRs I listed? No, cant be that since I listed virtually all fantasy rookies drafted. Was it that I said most have been unuseable, no, because thats true. Was what I said about Zay Jones has not done much, did that fact upset people? Was it the simple question at the end asking "If you can think of another, by all means go for it. But this is a bad group." Are we serious with some of the anger in this thread over that? I was just called a noob because I respond asking why someone was being condescending to the original post, lol. The internet antics are always enjoyable. This noob has way more likes on way fewer posts that that guy, since we are being honest.

Seems a lot of people are trying spin to justify hope then are actually proving me wrong that this crop is not good this year. I didnt say anything about next year in my post and I said nothing about what they will do going forward, as of now...they have stunk, spin it how you want thought to give yourself hope for your players by all means. This crop stinks as of now, will it change, maybe...but now, it stinks.

I'll end with this, people play redrafts too, not every one plays dynasty or cares about the long haul of the rookie WRs as far as this year is concerned. So now, if we can get back to how this crop stinks in 2017, that would be nice.

What Dede will do, has nothing to do with how the crop as a whole has performed until now. Westbrook has a good shot to be one of the better WRs this year from the rookie crop since many others are not doing much.

that has the bitter people angry
Again with the projecting of negative emotions onto others. Why is that?

This may be the worst group of rookie WRs ever. Sure, but for the majority do you notice the trend that its probably too soon to judge?

Well if we are talking redraft...

Santonio Holmes
Chad Jackson
Sinorice Moss
Greg Jennings
Travis Wilson
Derek Hagan
Brandon Williams
Maurice Stovall
Willie Reid
Brad Smith
Cory Rogers
Jason Avant
Demetrius Williams
Brandon Marshall

Top scorer was Greg Jennings (45-632-3) whom both Juju and Kupp this year are on pace to outscore.  I don't think there was anyone else that even broke 500 yards or 30 catches.

That year looks like probably the worst, and not mostly due to injury like this year.  There are quite a few others (2015, 2013, 2010, 2008) where there was only one useful player.  Some of those guys I think Juju may end up catching now that he's been phased into the offense more.

If we're looking redraft it's easy to forget about things because of what many of these guys turned into.  But when you look back and you see guys like Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Antonio Brown, and many others keep in mind that many of them were as useless in their rookie years as Taywan Taylor.

It was actually an interesting exercise because other than the really big breakout rookie years, in most cases the most useful rookie WR did not end up anywhere near the best long-term.  Eddie Royal was useful while Jordy Nelson was not.  Dwayne Bowe useful while Megatron was not.  Big Mike Williams useful while Dez, Demaryius, and Golden Tate were not.

Worst??? Kind of obnoxious don't you think? I mean how spoiled do we have to be in recent years to have rookies such as OBJ come out and flat out dominate... doesn't happen often.

Honestly, it's way too early to even tell. John Ross is an exceptional talent but has not been healthy. Smith-Schuster just got his shot. Golladay has had trouble with health. Westbrook looks like one of the best of the bunch in the preseason but was hurt. Davis obviously has had truoble with injuries.

I can see if so many of these injured WRs were healthy and not producing, but wow... this draft class is littered with talent IMO

That year looks like probably the worst, and not mostly due to injury like this year.  There are quite a few others (2015, 2013, 2010, 2008) where there was only one useful player.  Some of those guys I think Juju may end up catching now that he's been phased into the offense more.

If we're looking redraft it's easy to forget about things because of what many of these guys turned into.  But when you look back and you see guys like Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Antonio Brown, and many others keep in mind that many of them were as useless in their rookie years as Taywan Taylor.

It was actually an interesting exercise because other than the really big breakout rookie years, in most cases the most useful rookie WR did not end up anywhere near the best long-term.  Eddie Royal was useful while Jordy Nelson was not.  Dwayne Bowe useful while Megatron was not.  Big Mike Williams useful while Dez, Demaryius, and Golden Tate were not.
Whatever happened to the 3rd year rule? It's like a few come out and dominate and suddenly people are impatient with developing talent... 

I think this class has tons of potential. If I'm in dynasty I'd gladly buy any

I didnt say anything about next year in my post and I said nothing about what they will do going forward, as of now...they have stunk, spin it how you want thought to give yourself hope for your players by all means. This crop stinks as of now, will it change, maybe...but now, it stinks.

I'll end with this, people play redrafts too, not every one plays dynasty or cares about the long haul of the rookie WRs as far as this year is concerned. So now, if we can get back to how this crop stinks in 2017, that would be nice.
If you're talking redraft, it's pretty simple: Don't draft rookie WRs because you're more likely than not to be disappointed.

I didnt say anything about next year in my post and I said nothing about what they will do going forward, as of now...they have stunk, spin it how you want thought to give yourself hope for your players by all means. This crop stinks as of now, will it change, maybe...but now, it stinks.
I don't think it is very meaningful to talk about WR performance in their rookie year and nothing else. Pretty sure all of know that WR do not perform well as rookies and comparing this years group to other draft classes is only going to reinforce this fact. Several other draft classes were worse than this one based on their rookie years.

2014 was the outlier that had many rookie WR perform well right away. So perhaps some recency bias in the point you are trying to make here?

2014 is not usually how WR perform as rookies. They usually don't do much in their rookie seasons, and the ones who do perform well as rookies often do not end up being the best WR from their draft class, making such a narrow evaluation not very useful.

Users who are viewing this thread