What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst NFL uniforms.... (1 Viewer)

There was a funny article in USA Today Sports weekly a few weeks ago and they ripped the RAIDERS unis.

They said the Raiders need to update their (Johnny Quest) Eyepatched Race Bannon helmet logo.

I never even saw the connection until I read that... pretty rich.
:hot:
Anybody interested in their top five / worst five?  I can try digging up the article...
Fire away. :popcorn:
OK, here's USA Today Sports Weekly's Worst and Best 5 unis/helmets (according to Society of Sports Uniform Research, www.ssur.org):Top 5:

Vikings '85 to present:

The Vikings have had this basic design since 1961, and the minor tweaks they have done over the years - most notably changing the face mask color to purple in '85 and finally matching the helmet pain color with the uniforms in 2002 - have made these almost perfect.

Philly Eagles '96 to present:

These 'winged' helmets may have been one of the best (and more recognizable) designs in the NFL and were significantly improved when owner Jeffrey Lurie introduced 'midnight green' in '96.

Washington Redskins '65-69 and '02 home games:

These dar burgundy and old gold classics, with the spear on teh side, where brought back in '02 as a throwback look. They should be brought back permanently - but without the burgundy facemasks.

St. Louis Rams '00 to present:

According to historical records, the Rams horns were the first actual logos that were painted on the helmets - back in the days of the Cleveland Rams. The new metallic gold introduced in 2000 makes the horns look even more stylish

San Diego Chargers '88 to present:

So many people want the Chargers to revert back to their collegiate blue (aka powder blue) uniforms - even their players. Says SSUR, "I don't care much about helmets. I do want to get one of our throwback helmets though. I want to give it to my dad. That's the coolest helmet in football in football, hands down". But SSUR believes the current navy looks better.

and the worst five:

Buffalo Bills '02 to present:

The basic logo, introduced in '74 isn't too bad. It's the forcing of the additional colored stripes of navy and nickel into the traditional navy royal blue and red that makes this design so hard to stomach.

Baltimore Ravens '99 to present:

This logo is too busy. The 'B' within the raven's head just looks forced, and the overall style should be streamlined (Grid's note... I guess a football helmet on top of a dolphin's head doesn't look 'forced' eh? I see it all the time in the water down in Miami. Helmeted dolphins swimming through the water.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers '76 to 96:

I'm all for new and exciting color combinations, but this inaugural color scheme of orange and red? Ugh. It's a good thing 'Bucco Bruce' is retired.

Oakland Raiders '64 to present:

This logo is a big favorite of traditionalists, but what is the appeal of a smirking 'Race Bannon' (of Johnny Quest fame)? The Raiders could modernize this logo without losing too much of the tradition. Black face masks would help too.

New York Jets '64 to '77, '98 to present:

Another example of style vs. tradition. This current 'retro' logo has too many elements incorporated into it, and none of them has anything to do with actual jets.

There you go... whether you agree or disagree, that's what the pundits feel.

My two cents:

32 - Seattle: I really don't mind the logo and helmet, but I consider these the worst by far right now. I hate the dark-on-dark look, and this color scheme only makes it worse.

31 - Cleveland: Just plain nasty. Brown is rarely cool, and who ever thought of combining it with bright orange?

30 - Denver: These belong near the bottom of any list. They have too much of an Arena League/Europe League look to them.

29 - Buffalo: Again the dark-on-dark thing, combined with the odd red up the sides. Maybe I'm just too old school.

28 - Baltimore: For some reason Baltimore's purple seems much worse than Minnesota's.

Can someone please explain the nearly universal fascination with the Chargers powder blues? Is it the color that everyone loves? I just don't get it.
Chris Berman man-love. :shrug:
Good point. I agree that those uni's are ok, and I even like the numbers on the helmets, but I think there's a little bit of a "herd mentality" behind their popularity.

OK, here's USA Today Sports Weekly's Worst and Best 5 unis/helmets (according to Society of Sports Uniform Research, www.ssur.org):

Top 5:

According to historical records, the Rams horns were the first actual logos that were painted on the helmets - back in the days of the Cleveland Rams. The new metallic gold introduced in 2000 makes the horns look even more stylish

And the worst five:

This logo is a big favorite of traditionalists, but what is the appeal of a smirking 'Race Bannon' (of Johnny Quest fame)? The Raiders could modernize this logo without losing too much of the tradition. Black face masks would help too.

Another example of style vs. tradition. This current 'retro' logo has too many elements incorporated into it, and none of them has anything to do with actual jets.
Could not disagree more with these 3. The Rams had the best uniforms in football. When they went to the mustard outlined in white, they ruined it IMO.The Raiders still have one of the Top 3 uniforms in pro football. 'nuf said.

The Jets went from having one of the worst uniforms to one of the best when they switched back to the Joe Willie '68 duds. Dude has it completely backwards. :crazy:

There was a funny article in USA Today Sports weekly a few weeks ago and they ripped the RAIDERS unis.

They said the Raiders need to update their (Johnny Quest) Eyepatched Race Bannon helmet logo.

:hot:
Anybody interested in their top five / worst five? I can try digging up the article...
Fire away. :popcorn:
OK, here's USA Today Sports Weekly's Worst and Best 5 unis/helmets (according to Society of Sports Uniform Research, www.ssur.org):Top 5:

Vikings '85 to present:

The Vikings have had this basic design since 1961, and the minor tweaks they have done over the years - most notably changing the face mask color to purple in '85 and finally matching the helmet pain color with the uniforms in 2002 - have made these almost perfect.

Philly Eagles '96 to present:

These 'winged' helmets may have been one of the best (and more recognizable) designs in the NFL and were significantly improved when owner Jeffrey Lurie introduced 'midnight green' in '96.

Washington Redskins '65-69 and '02 home games:

These dar burgundy and old gold classics, with the spear on teh side, where brought back in '02 as a throwback look. They should be brought back permanently - but without the burgundy facemasks.

San Diego Chargers '88 to present:

So many people want the Chargers to revert back to their collegiate blue (aka powder blue) uniforms - even their players. Says SSUR, "I don't care much about helmets. I do want to get one of our throwback helmets though. I want to give it to my dad. That's the coolest helmet in football in football, hands down". But SSUR believes the current navy looks better.

and the worst five:

Buffalo Bills '02 to present:

The basic logo, introduced in '74 isn't too bad. It's the forcing of the additional colored stripes of navy and nickel into the traditional navy royal blue and red that makes this design so hard to stomach.

Baltimore Ravens '99 to present:

This logo is too busy. The 'B' within the raven's head just looks forced, and the overall style should be streamlined (Grid's note... I guess a football helmet on top of a dolphin's head doesn't look 'forced' eh? I see it all the time in the water down in Miami. Helmeted dolphins swimming through the water.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers '76 to 96:

I'm all for new and exciting color combinations, but this inaugural color scheme of orange and red? Ugh. It's a good thing 'Bucco Bruce' is retired.

There you go... whether you agree or disagree, that's what the pundits feel.
Man that guy is out of his mind. I think the Vikes and Eagles have some of the WORST in the league, and the Raiders unis have ALWAYS been one of the best in pro sports, IMO.But I still think the old Seattle unis were worse than the new ones.

Here's my two cents:

I like the Jets going back to their retro look.

I agree that the Skins spear is much cooler looking than the one they use.

I always liked the Raiders helmets, but perhaps they should do a bit more to slightly alter the uniforms - at least puts some cross-bones on their or something...

The Eagles unis are much improved over their old ones.

The Broncos new unis are superior to those God-awful ones they used to wear.

The Seahawks new unis/helmet logo were an improvement.

Couldn't agree more with the Bills putrid unis.

I always liked Pat Patriot vs. this new dillio.

The Dolphins are among the worst going right now.

The Bears/Packers/Browns think that 'old school' is the route to go, and rarely make any changes/alterations. I think they're all due.

And I don't give a rat's ### what they say... I'm a huge fan of the Bolts throwbacks in powder blue.

Seattle's colors aren't bad (I think I'll be in the minority there) and the helmet is cool but the dark pants and dark jersey has got to go. Have they ever worn their blue jerseys with white pants? I think that would look better. Same goes for the cardinals. Red on red? Ugh! The Bengals' idea for thwir helmet is unique but they overdid it by using it on both their jerseys and pants.

As for third jerseys, I actually liked the Bears' orange ones. Nice change of pace.
Seattle wore the dark jerseys with white pants in the beginning. The dark on dark is really a more modern look. The dark on white is so 20th century.
Dark on Dark is the ugliest of all uniforms, regardless of sport.

Love the Chargers powder blue

Love the Washington spear (but still think the Radio Shack Redskins helmet is hilarious)

Love the current Jets uni, hated the 80s uni. One good thing Parcells did for NYJ.

Hate the Titans uni - well, the hat more than anything else. Realy stupid-looking.

Like Atlanta's unis - better than the all-black 'Glanvilles', much better than the old red unis.

Hated the old Bucs 'I cut my lip on this knife' hat. I like the pewter n gold

For a new franchise, I like Carolina's uniform, I'm ok with Jax, and I find HOU to be uninspired.

The Pats did a good job upgrading from the ol 'look, it's a guy snapping a football' hat.

I love the Vikings but hate purple!! I think LSU's uniforms are the best in all of football (college or NFL), and always thought the Vikings should go with yellow pants and helmets like the Tigers. I know it is against tradition, but I just don't like purple. At least go with yellow pants on the road with the white uniforms (not purple pants).

The Cleveland Browns are the worst...

If anybody can explain why a team named the "Brown"s has an orange helmet, I'll buy you a beer.

Anybody interested in their top five / worst five?  I can try digging up the article...
Paul Brown felt that when a QB drops back to pass, he'd have an easier time picking out his receivers down field if they were wearing orange helmets. Similar concept to roadside construction workers wearing orange safety vests - the color draws your eye and stands out against most any background.
Originally selecting white helmets, Brown changed the color to orange in 1951 so his star quarterback, Otto Graham, could spot his receivers more easily. This started a trend as other clubs placed orders with manufacturers to add colors and logos to their plastic helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Current worst:

Seahawks - Dark on dark is awful, and the helmets aren't as sharp as they used to be. And what's with the sneer on the bird now? Oooooooh, he's mad!!!

Bills - Probably the worst of them all. They look like Arena League rejects. The retro-styled ones they wore last year are pretty cool. Hell, even these are better.

Bengals - As mentioned elsewhere, too damn busy.

Broncos - Sorry, any uniform obviously designed completely by Nike automatically sucks. Give me the classic orange & blue unis with the "D" helmet logo any day.

Rams - More annoying marketing team work here. The classic blue & yellow was great, and should've been left alone.

Texans - Yawn.

If anybody can explain why a team named the "Brown"s has an orange helmet, I'll buy you a beer.

Anybody interested in their top five / worst five?   I can try digging up the article...
Paul Brown felt that when a QB drops back to pass, he'd have an easier time picking out his receivers down field if they were wearing orange helmets. Similar concept to roadside construction workers wearing orange safety vests - the color draws your eye and stands out against most any background.
Originally selecting white helmets, Brown changed the color to orange in 1951 so his star quarterback, Otto Graham, could spot his receivers more easily.  This started a trend as other clubs placed orders with manufacturers to add colors and logos to their plastic helmet.
Wow, what a visionary. How many Super Bowls have they been in or won? ZERO. :wall: :lmao:

Anybody interested in their top five / worst five?   I can try digging up the article...
Originally selecting white helmets, Brown changed the color to orange in 1951 so his star quarterback, Otto Graham, could spot his receivers more easily.  This started a trend as other clubs placed orders with manufacturers to add colors and logos to their plastic helmet.
And yet, Tim Couch still happened. :unsure:

Wow, what a visionary. How many Super Bowls have they been in or won? ZERO. :wall: :lmao:
Time for a history lesson, junior.When Paul Brown was coach, they won a number of League championships, both before and after they officially joined the NFL.

NFL Champions (pre Superbowl): (4)

1950, 1954, 1955, 1964*

*(Brown was fired in 1962, so you obviously can't give him much credit for this win)

AAFC Champions: (4)

1946, 1947, 1948, 1949

I'm not a Browns' fan, but I am a Paul Brown fan. Even more, I hate people who don't know their history. Paul Brown was a true visionary, and his impact on the game and his success as a coach backs that up.

Seattle's colors aren't bad (I think I'll be in the minority there) and the helmet is cool but the dark pants and dark jersey has got to go. Have they ever worn their blue jerseys with white pants? I think that would look better. Same goes for the cardinals. Red on red? Ugh! The Bengals' idea for thwir helmet is unique but they overdid it by using it on both their jerseys and pants.

As for third jerseys, I actually liked the Bears' orange ones. Nice change of pace.
Seattle wore the dark jerseys with white pants in the beginning. The dark on dark is really a more modern look. The dark on white is so 20th century.
I'm gonna have to say white-on-whte is even worse. Indy, Vikings, Browns... get some damn dark pants when you wear the white jerseys. Your linemen look like the freaking Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man out there. :thumbdown:

Didn't Cleveland go all orange - meaning jersey and pants - for a game or two? If I'm recalling that correctly, that's the worst by far.

I'm gonna have to say white-on-whte is even worse. Indy, Vikings, Browns... get some damn dark pants when you wear the white jerseys. Your linemen look like the freaking Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man out there. :thumbdown:
I agree. The Colts should wear blue pants with white jerseys for their away uniforms.

The Raiders actually changed their color scheme once in their history, albeit along time ago.

From the book Raiders Forever by, John Lombardo

"The Raiders' team colors those first few years were black and gold, a color scheme dictated not by some slick marketing campaign but by hand-me-down uniforms the Raiders inherited to save some cash."...."In 1963 the Raiders hired (Al) Davis as head coach, and one of the first moves he made was to change the uniform colors silver and black."

I wish I had some color pics, I'd like to see what they looked like, I imagine something like the old Saints uniforms.

Dark on Dark just sucks. The fact Seattle does it all the time is bad. The color they have now is probably an improvment over the old blue if they would just wear some grey or white pants. I hate that the Ravens almost always wear black on black for prime-time games, as it just shows off ugly unis to a larger audience.

However the Browns and the Bears orange are the worst of the current batch. There have been decent looking college uniforms from schools with orange in their color schemes (e.g., Ore. St, Okla St.) so it's not just the orange. It's something about the shade or the way they use it with other colors or something. Those two uniforms just look like something my daughter makes when she has an intestinal virus.

Time for a history lesson, junior.When Paul Brown was coach, they won a number of League championships, both before and after they officially joined the NFL.

1950, 1954, 1955, 1964*

*(Brown was fired in 1962, so you obviously can't give him much credit for this win)

1946, 1947, 1948, 1949

I'm not a Browns' fan, but I am a Paul Brown fan. Even more, I hate people who don't know their history. Paul Brown was a true visionary, and his impact on the game and his success as a coach backs that up.
Just answer the question Slappy! ZERO Super Bowls, that's how many they've won. When your beloved Browns can boast the MOST Hall of Fame players and more than 8 NFL Championships, then you can yammer away with your flippin rhetoric. Until then, stick to answering the questions instead of giving me some spin-controlled malarkey answer.

The Browns are the ONLY franchise in the NFL to have NEVER played in or hosted a Super Bowl. The ONLY ONE.

I personally loved those Lions throwback uni's, Barry looked like a badass in those blue socks.

I really don't like the Bronco's, and Pat's new ones, but I wasn't crazy about the old ones, either so.......

I didn't mind the Browns dark jerseies, those looked alright.

And I dig the Rams (relatively) new look.

Dark on Dark just sucks. The fact Seattle does it all the time is bad. The color they have now is probably an improvment over the old blue if they would just wear some grey or white pants. I hate that the Ravens almost always wear black on black for prime-time games, as it just shows off ugly unis to a larger audience.
See, I guess I am off the opposite opinion.I love the same colours tops and bottoms.

The all white or all red cardinals jerseys were awesome. I like the all white, all blue look for the Seahawks as well.

I think the same colour looks a lot better than having different colours. Just my opinion.

1950, 1954, 1955, 1964*

1946, 1947, 1948, 1949

It seems that the orange has fallen out of favor.
Browns | Team going back to old uniforms

Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:58:00 -0700

Tony Grossi, of the Plain Dealer, reports Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner is bringing back the team's old uniforms for next season, including gray face masks, original striping on jersey sleeves and the old, darker shade of brown. The team will wear only white pants and alternate between brown and white jerseys - never orange.

Bengals - I'm a Bengals fan and I love the unis and helmet design. Being from New Jersey, I don't have a team of my own to root for and this design (along with the emergence of Boomer and those great 80s teams) is a huge appeal. The new number font is sharp. The old helmets, I was not a fan of. There'd be a fan riot with a change at this point, similar to...

Browns - As a Bengals fan I have to love Paul Brown, but the no logo in the wrong color thing? Too easy to make fun of and Orange/Black is much cooler than Orange/Brown. Only thing funnier was when they proposed changing the helmets and caused a crisis and near riots in Cleveland.

Steelers - Easy to make fun of one-sided logo helmet as sign of "er" thriftyness. But Black/Gold is really a good color combo made better by the fact that other Pittsburgh teams (Pirates/Penguins) follow suit. I like the blocky font better than the current look.

Ravens - The bird with the B isn't a great logo, but it's infinitely better than the slap-dash shield disaster they came up with on the fly when the team first moved there. Ravens aren't purple, they are black. An all black/white look actually coulda been something when they first came up with it. One purple team is plenty at any rate.

Jets - I actually like the Ken O'Brien greens better than the current busy design. That uni is only liked b/c Namath won in it, methinks. Only thing worse is the ridiculous graphics on the stadium scoreboard with the Jets "football" character that's supposed to be the football from that helmet.

Dolphins - Too bad Flipper Anderson never played for them. This works b/c it represents where they are from and are unique but appropriate colors. Aqua going with Dolphins? Eminently sensible. Logo is about as tough as a Dolphin wearing a helmet can be.

Bills - I always thought switching the helmets to red was a mistake - too much same color on same color. I like the current design on white better than the Buffalo nickel design though.

Patriots - These are like Arena2 unis. The only logo to give lineman their due was replaced by this? Red/white/blue. Patriots. Sensible. Silver? Not needed and it looks like a lame insurance company logo now.

Colts - Horsehoe logo is classic and iconic. Thought of player having been kicked in the head by an angry colt funny. Need not be messed with.

Jaguars - If I saw a jaguar with a teal tongue, I'd be inclined to call a veterinarian, but these are cool helmets, the unis themselves are eh.

Titans - Flaming Thumbtack. 80s videogame number font. Light blue shoulders, dark blue unis. Ugh Ugh Ugly - current worst IMO.

Texans - Playing in Texas with the Cowboys having such an iconic logo is already tough. Having a name like "Texans" limits what can be put on the helmet. Frankly, I think they've done a helluva job and I think it's a classy look with the Bulls head and Star for an eye with echoes of the Texas flag. I like it.

Broncos - Again with the Arena2 logos - and again a bad design change is rewarded with a Super Bowl win? Just not right. The angry Bronco in the D was much cooler. Changing to the dark blue also against the club's history. Wouldn't it seem weak if the Vikings wore yellow and tried calling themselves the Purple People Eaters? I mean this team brought out the ORANGE crush and they switch to Blue? :no:

Chiefs - I think the Red looks sharp (even when it's Red on Red, though that IS a bit much) and somehow the Chiefs' red is more distinctive than the other reds around the league (maybe cuz of the helmet). It's a classic logo. No need to screw with.

Raiders - It's tough to see real change in this one - a very slight tweak of the logo (ala the Cardinals) maybe to make the Raider dude less passive looking but Silver and Black is a great color scheme for a team that prides itself on being the bad guys. I heard the story about the color change as well and heard that part of it was because Al Davis is color blind, FWIW.

Chargers - The current unis look great (white bolt better than yellow bolt) and if the old throwbacks didn't exist would probably be more readily seen that way. As a side note the Bengals get shots taken for the stripes on the pants but nobody takes issue with the Bolts on the legs of these? What gives? That said, of course, the throwbacks are better. Personally, I think the appeal comes for a number a reasons - light blue, yellow and white shouldn't work, but somehow they just do here. The big appeal though, I think, is the uniqueness of the number being on the helmets and the cool old school font that is used. I'm also 100% that the Chargers will never be dumb enough to switch to them full time. They have a great cash cow - as long as they are considered "throw back" that adds that little bit of hipness factor to them. It also allows the team to sell 3 different jersey designs. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the only team that sells more "throwback" jerseys than the regular design.

*whew* I'll try and do the NFC some other time :)

-QG

Bengals - I'm a Bengals fan and I love the unis and helmet design. Being from New Jersey, I don't have a team of my own to root for and this design (along with the emergence of Boomer and those great 80s teams) is a huge appeal. The new number font is sharp. The old helmets, I was not a fan of. There'd be a fan riot with a change at this point, similar to...

Browns - As a Bengals fan I have to love Paul Brown, but the no logo in the wrong color thing? Too easy to make fun of and Orange/Black is much cooler than Orange/Brown. Only thing funnier was when they proposed changing the helmets and caused a crisis and near riots in Cleveland.

Steelers - Easy to make fun of one-sided logo helmet as sign of "er" thriftyness. But Black/Gold is really a good color combo made better by the fact that other Pittsburgh teams (Pirates/Penguins) follow suit. I like the blocky font better than the current look.

Ravens - The bird with the B isn't a great logo, but it's infinitely better than the slap-dash shield disaster they came up with on the fly when the team first moved there. Ravens aren't purple, they are black. An all black/white look actually coulda been something when they first came up with it. One purple team is plenty at any rate.

Jets - I actually like the Ken O'Brien greens better than the current busy design. That uni is only liked b/c Namath won in it, methinks. Only thing worse is the ridiculous graphics on the stadium scoreboard with the Jets "football" character that's supposed to be the football from that helmet.

Dolphins - Too bad Flipper Anderson never played for them. This works b/c it represents where they are from and are unique but appropriate colors. Aqua going with Dolphins? Eminently sensible. Logo is about as tough as a Dolphin wearing a helmet can be.

Bills - I always thought switching the helmets to red was a mistake - too much same color on same color. I like the current design on white better than the Buffalo nickel design though.

Patriots - These are like Arena2 unis. The only logo to give lineman their due was replaced by this? Red/white/blue. Patriots. Sensible. Silver? Not needed and it looks like a lame insurance company logo now.

Colts - Horsehoe logo is classic and iconic. Thought of player having been kicked in the head by an angry colt funny. Need not be messed with.

Jaguars - If I saw a jaguar with a teal tongue, I'd be inclined to call a veterinarian, but these are cool helmets, the unis themselves are eh.

Titans - Flaming Thumbtack. 80s videogame number font. Light blue shoulders, dark blue unis. Ugh Ugh Ugly - current worst IMO.

Texans - Playing in Texas with the Cowboys having such an iconic logo is already tough. Having a name like "Texans" limits what can be put on the helmet. Frankly, I think they've done a helluva job and I think it's a classy look with the Bulls head and Star for an eye with echoes of the Texas flag. I like it.

Broncos - Again with the Arena2 logos - and again a bad design change is rewarded with a Super Bowl win? Just not right. The angry Bronco in the D was much cooler. Changing to the dark blue also against the club's history. Wouldn't it seem weak if the Vikings wore yellow and tried calling themselves the Purple People Eaters? I mean this team brought out the ORANGE crush and they switch to Blue? :no:

Chiefs - I think the Red looks sharp (even when it's Red on Red, though that IS a bit much) and somehow the Chiefs' red is more distinctive than the other reds around the league (maybe cuz of the helmet). It's a classic logo. No need to screw with.

Raiders - It's tough to see real change in this one - a very slight tweak of the logo (ala the Cardinals) maybe to make the Raider dude less passive looking but Silver and Black is a great color scheme for a team that prides itself on being the bad guys. I heard the story about the color change as well and heard that part of it was because Al Davis is color blind, FWIW.

Chargers - The current unis look great (white bolt better than yellow bolt) and if the old throwbacks didn't exist would probably be more readily seen that way. As a side note the Bengals get shots taken for the stripes on the pants but nobody takes issue with the Bolts on the legs of these? What gives? That said, of course, the throwbacks are better. Personally, I think the appeal comes for a number a reasons - light blue, yellow and white shouldn't work, but somehow they just do here. The big appeal though, I think, is the uniqueness of the number being on the helmets and the cool old school font that is used. I'm also 100% that the Chargers will never be dumb enough to switch to them full time. They have a great cash cow - as long as they are considered "throw back" that adds that little bit of hipness factor to them. It also allows the team to sell 3 different jersey designs. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the only team that sells more "throwback" jerseys than the regular design.

*whew* I'll try and do the NFC some other time :)

-QG
Excellent post. :thumbup: I agree with just about everything you wrote except for your take on the Jets uniforms. The duds they have now (and what Namath & Co. wore) are SOOOOO much classier than the Freeman McNeil-era rags they sported. :X

I don't get some of your guys' tastes. You need to get with the times, seriously. Seattle's blue on blue uni's are sweet, as are the black on black Ravens and blue on blue Bills. I have no idea how in the hell the Raiders almost won best in AFC, the classic look is old and boring, with an exception to the Steelers cuz the black&yellow just looks badass. I like the Bengals uni's to as a matter of fact. The worst I can think of is the Dolphins and Browns. Brown and Orange, enoug said. And if being named the friggin' Dolphins doesn't do enough, they have the 'prettiest' colors in the league - aqua green and bright orange...Maybe this has a little something to do with me being a Bills fan, but honestly is there a fruitier professional sports team you can think of?

The Seahawks, Bills, Titans, Jaguars (new) and Ravens need to go in the crapper. Raiders, Bears get a free pass because of their tradition. The Giants and their royal blue and grey are real close to getting on my list.

I hate to admit this, but the Broncos do have the best uniforms going. Cowboys, 49ers, Dolphins, Bengals rate up there.

Although these uniforms shouldn't kick-butt, they actually do; Packers, Browns, Jets, Colts and Chiefs.

New uniforms that have not found their place yet, but have some real potential; Falcons, Bucs, Eagles and Texans.

For retro uniforms; Redskins (dark burgundy and arrow), Chargers (Dan Fouts era), Steelers (block numbers), Falcons (pre-Jerry Glanville) and Seahawks (blue, silver, green) are some lost gems.

The Cleveland Browns are the worst...If anybody can explain why a team named the "Brown"s has an orange helmet, I'll buy you a beer.
Bud Light will suffice, though Shiner Bock would be my preference.The Brown's helmets were originally white, but were changed to orange by Paul Brown in 1951 so that quarterback Otto Graham would have an easier time picking out his receivers.Edit to add: DOH!!! Missed Brant's post when I skimmed the thread.

About 14 months ago, we did the BEST uniforms in football. 

In the AFC, the Steelers edged the Chargers and Raiders.
:confused: wtf w/SD and OAK.....I'd go (in no order) Chiefs, Colts and Steelers (the black unis, of course).
In the NFC, the Packers barely edged the Eagles and Bucs
:confused: :confused: puke and lol @ those results. I only like GB because of the tradition of it and the team's history (etc) but cmon a big G with yellow and green all over isn't exactly impressive. In fact, most of the NFC teams are better than theirs from a pure looks perspective. Offhand I'd vote the Lions and the Rams with the yellow horns vs that butt-ugly gold. Heck even CHI beats out GB for unis...and TB is just plain ugly. PHI isn't too bad now that they finally got away from those silver wings :X
I think most people agree that these Charger duds are the best uniforms ever.
I think most people LOL @ that comment. :cool: How powder blue unis can be considered great, let alone the greatest ever........er wtfo.......they aren't even the best SD uni. The dark blue is way better.Worst now? Gotta be the Seagulls with that monochrome blue crapola, closely followed by any team that has bright orange shirts and/or pants.

Going back in time...

- PHI when they had the silver wings

- TEN's little flaming thumb tack and stolen Oiler colors - pass

- ATL when they had the all-back helmets and unis

- pretty much any Raven uni

- it's had a long-standing tradition but the Aints unis have always been pretty ugly IMO. Somehow gold unis are just ugly no matter what you do.

- BUF ever since they had the red background on the helmet regardless of the uni. The white background looked 100 times better.

Somehow I can't bring myself to include CLE or OAK tho I can see why people would do so. The whole tradition thing I guess. The no-logo and funky color is a "throwback" and likewise for the pirate logo, although black and silver are good picks for football colors, even tho I don't care for them myself.

Whos the armless kicker?
LOL, I thought the same thing when I first saw the dolphin kicker, but his hand is extending directly even with the camera's point of view. :pics:

Worst current uniform is the Cincinnati Bengals. Seriously, those tiger stripes are ridiculous.

Come to think of it, I'll say today's Bengals uniforms are easily the worst ever. Just embarrasssing. :thumbdown:
I agree, those stripes on the helmet look like some crappy 80's break dance throw away. The stripes on the shoulder are ok. They would look much more bad ### if they had a black helemt with a bengal type logo on the side instead of those crappy stripes.

Users who are viewing this thread