What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worth stashing Morris or DMC for two weeks? (2 Viewers)

Who says they were lesser talents?  Perhaps they were just older & more expensive.  Bringing back CJ AS THE BACK-UP to replace Williams shows that when a RB goes out & his backup goes in, teams will need another RB.  Williams was named the starter, CJ became his backup.  It wasn't a case of Ari "saving" him.

Your theory may turn out to be right; IMO we will never know b/c the courts won't overturn the stay (although I've been wrong at each step of the turn with the Zeke situation).  But it is just that, your theory.  The rationale behind it is flimsy, though, and it doesn't seem like what an NFL team would do.  If they were that determined to keep DMC fresh, just in case; why not make him active & give those 3 snaps/game to R Smith?  He's already active, it would serve the same purpose as making DMC inactive to "save" him (unless you think the mere act of wearing shoulder pads would be too much exertion), and it would ensure the 'Boys have their top backup RB available.  It just doesn't make sense.
Didn't he break his elbow and miss all of last season because he dropped his phone?   I think one of his other long gaps was from an off field injury as well.  He's probably the boy in the bubble right now. 

[icon] said:
BTW My offer still stands of $100 wager for any Morris believers who actually think he gets more than 40% share of the Dallas Backfield if Zeke is suspended. Details upthread :thumbup:  

Tag me if you are willing to wager.... I'm not sure how much I'll be in this thread going forward as there's not much legitimate discussion taking place. Gllll peas. 
should make it 39.5% or 40.5% just to avoid the push

Didn't he break his elbow and miss all of last season because he dropped his phone?   I think one of his other long gaps was from an off field injury as well.  He's probably the boy in the bubble right now. 

So DMC is the main backup, but he is so fragile that they don't even want to risk having him wear a pair of shoulderpads during games?  They are going to give him 50-60% of Zeke's workload (15+ touches/game), but don't want to stress him too much by having him wear pads and stand on the sideline, without actually making him take a single snap?  Gotta say, the "he's too soft to be active" angle isn't really the best argument you can make here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So DMC is the main backup, but he is so fragile that they don't even want to risk having him wear a pair of shoulderpads during games?  They are going to give him 50-60% of Zeke's workload (15+ touches/game), but don't want to stress him too much by having him wear pads and stand on the sideline, without actually making him take a single snap?  Gotta say, the "he's too soft to be active" angle isn't really the best argument you can make here. 
Could it be that Dallas has had other starters hurt (Scandrick, WR's, etc.) and needed the room to carrying starting backups? I don't know enough (nor do I care enough to know outside of fake football purposes) about Dallas to know details. :)

Could it be that Dallas has had other starters hurt (Scandrick, WR's, etc.) and needed the room to carrying starting backups? I don't know enough (nor do I care enough to know outside of fake football purposes) about Dallas to know details. :)
No.  The argument is that Dallas doesn't want to risk getting DMC hurt by keeping him active, even though he's their best back-up RB, even though that means they'd have a lesser RB (Morris) if Zeke were to get hurt in-game.  Since Morris has averaged 3 snaps/game AND he and R Smith have been active each game, de-activating Morris & activating DMC (but not have him take any snaps, giving Morris' 3 snaps to Smith) wouldn't change Dallas' ability to man other positions.

The whole argument is flawed, makes no sense, and has little basis in reality.  

No.  The argument is that Dallas doesn't want to risk getting DMC hurt by keeping him active, even though he's their best back-up RB, even though that means they'd have a lesser RB (Morris) if Zeke were to get hurt in-game.  Since Morris has averaged 3 snaps/game AND he and R Smith have been active each game, de-activating Morris & activating DMC (but not have him take any snaps, giving Morris' 3 snaps to Smith) wouldn't change Dallas' ability to man other positions.

The whole argument is flawed, makes no sense, and has little basis in reality.  
So you surely will jump at the chance to take my money, then? :popcorn:  

So you surely will jump at the chance to take my money, then? :popcorn:  
Tell you what, let's make it a parlay bet:  your offer, plus-I'll bet that you can't find a single post of mine in this thread where I said anything about Morris getting 40%, 50%, 60%, or any percentage of the work if/when Zeke goes out.  Deal?  If not, shut up about your stupid bet & let the discussion continue, OK?

Tell you what, let's make it a parlay bet:  your offer, plus-I'll bet that you can't find a single post of mine in this thread where I said anything about Morris getting 40%, 50%, 60%, or any percentage of the work if/when Zeke goes out.  Deal?  If not, shut up about your stupid bet & let the discussion continue, OK?
To testy :lol:

How do you see the backfield split shaking out if Zeke is suspended? 

Bayhawks 2020

Ya I have no idea what this means 
Ya, well you quoted me as saying "5 years ago" in response to a quote that claimed Alf has never been any good so I quoted the "never" part of that quote in similar fashion.  I can draw you a picture if it would help.

I can't believe how snarky this thread has gotten over something none of us have a clue about.

[icon] said:
BTW My offer still stands of $100 wager for any Morris believers who actually think he gets more than 40% share of the Dallas Backfield if Zeke is suspended. Details upthread :thumbup:  

Tag me if you are willing to wager.... I'm not sure how much I'll be in this thread going forward as there's not much legitimate discussion taking place. Gllll peas. 
I'll take that bet for $500 and give you 7-1 odds.

:cstufreeroll:

Ya, well you quoted me as saying "5 years ago" in response to a quote that claimed Alf has never been any good so I quoted the "never" part of that quote in similar fashion.  I can draw you a picture if it would help.
What a RB did 5 yrs ago has nothing to do with what he can do today 

To testy :lol:

How do you see the backfield split shaking out if Zeke is suspended? 
It's a thread on a FF message board about the backup to one of the top RBs, who might get suspended for 6 games.  Discussing about why DMC has been inactive, and who is "the backup" is relevant.  You going on and on about a bet (the terms of which I NEVER mentioned in any of my posts) that would prove/disprove how right you are is not.  Stay on topic, stay out of the thread, or leave me out of it.  That is all.

It's a thread on a FF message board about the backup to one of the top RBs, who might get suspended for 6 games.  Discussing about why DMC has been inactive, and who is "the backup" is relevant.  You going on and on about a bet (the terms of which I NEVER mentioned in any of my posts) that would prove/disprove how right you are is not.  Stay on topic, stay out of the thread, or leave me out of it.  That is all.
This seems like a lot of words to not answer a simple question (ironically one you told me we should be talking about). 

Who do you think the backup is? / how do you see the backfield split shaking out if Zeke is suspended? 

I have McFadden stashed in dynasty for next year. Redraft all backup shares of the Dallas backfield were dropped long ago for the WW fodder of the week. 

I can see how that could make sense but are there any other teams in the NFL making the primary backup a healthy scratch every week for this reason?
Didn't Carolina do this in 2015 an 2016 with Cameron Artis-Payne? He was inactive unless Stewart was definitely missing games. When starting, I believe he got the majority of the carries.

Let's compare them for a bit... 

Morris 5'9" / Zeke 6' / DMC 6'2" 

• Morris had a couple years as a bellcow in 2012-2014 for the Redskins but his YPC has been in decline since 2013, and has been used as a change of pace back since arriving in Dallas last year.... presumably the role he was brought in for. He's never been much of a pass catching back. 

• McFadden was the bellcow back when brought to Dallas in 2015, notching over 1000yds and a 4.6ypc in this offense. He's a capable reciever catching 40 receptions in this offense that same year... and having caught as many as 47  in his time with Oakland. 

• Elliott is a fairly prototypical if not slightly tall back at 6', has been used as a bellow since arriving in dallas, averaging 5.1ypc last year, and is utilized moderately in the passing game with 32 receptions last year. 

Literally the only thing in favor of Morris is that he's currently being used in his usual change-of-pace role, whereas DMC is a healthy scratch.

It comes down to if you believe that:
1) The Cowboys see DMC as a pass-catching / primary back type role, like the one he was brought to Dallas to do and is one year removed from doing successfully.... but who's waiting in the wings for news on Zeke.....

or

2) That DMC is a healthy scratch because he's not good enough to see the field, and Morris will suddenly take the lead back role, something he was not brought to Dallas to do, nor something he's ever done in Dallas, if Zeke is suspended...and DMC will be activated as backup. 

Hopefully we won't find out. 

This seems like a lot of words to not answer a simple question (ironically one you told me we should be talking about). 

Who do you think the backup is? / how do you see the backfield split shaking out if Zeke is suspended? 
You seem to spend a lot of time ignoring the words I've already posted.   Morris is the backup; that's clear.  He's been active, DMC hasn't.  As far as the backfield split, I have no idea.  I don't think there's any chance either guy gets the same workload Zeke does.  Maybe rather than trying to be combative and argumentative to prove that you are "right," you should just read the thread, use the information that you think makes the most sense, disregard the information that you disagree with?  

Let's compare them for a bit... 

Morris 5'9" / Zeke 6' / DMC 6'2" 

• Morris had a couple years as a bellcow in 2012-2014 for the Redskins but his YPC has been in decline since 2013, and has been used as a change of pace back since arriving in Dallas last year.... presumably the role he was brought in for. He's never been much of a pass catching back. 

• McFadden was the bellcow back when brought to Dallas in 2015, notching over 1000yds and a 4.6ypc in this offense. He's a capable reciever catching 40 receptions in this offense that same year... and having caught as many as 47  in his time with Oakland. 

• Elliott is a fairly prototypical if not slightly tall back at 6', has been used as a bellow since arriving in dallas, averaging 5.1ypc last year, and is utilized moderately in the passing game with 32 receptions last year. 

Literally the only thing in favor of Morris is that he's currently being used in his usual change-of-pace role, whereas DMC is a healthy scratch.

It comes down to if you believe that:
1) The Cowboys see DMC as a pass-catching / primary back type role, like the one he was brought to Dallas to do and is one year removed from doing successfully.... but who's waiting in the wings for news on Zeke.....

or

2) That DMC is a healthy scratch because he's not good enough to see the field, and Morris will suddenly take the lead back role, something he was not brought to Dallas to do, nor something he's ever done in Dallas, if Zeke is suspended...and DMC will be activated as backup. 

Hopefully we won't find out. 
Although there is a bit of revisionist history in this post, it sums it up fairly well.

1-McFadden wasn't brought to Dallas to be the "pass-catching/primary back type" bellcow role in 2015; he was signed to be the back-up to Joseph Randle, and he started the season behind Joseph Randle.  JOSEPH RANDLE.  He only got the job by default when Randle flamed out.  He did so well that the Cowboys decided that they had to go out and sign Alfred Morris, then draft Zeke.

2-Morris is not, and never has been, a COP back.  He doesn't offer a change of pace to Zeke, unless you consider "not quite as strong, fast, elusive," etc to be the change of pace. 

3-Zeke and DMC aren't similar RBs; neither are Zeke and Morris.  Zeke is a special talent at RB; there is no direct 1-1 comparison. 

Just wanted to check in on what icon and cowboysfan8 are thinking about DMC’s role.  Anybody take that bet?   :thumbup:

Dmc healthy scratch tonight???   Huh I wonder if they’re trying to keep him healthy since they know he’s alf’s backup.  It’s so obvious. 

Users who are viewing this thread