What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would you goto a Super Bowl party if... (1 Viewer)

If a Super Bowl party is 8 of my friends getting together to eat wings and drink beer and watch the game, absolutely.

If a Super Bowl party is someone I kind of know hosting some big event with mostly people I don't know where the most common conversations are going to be about the commercials and Taylor Swift....hell no.

If a Super Bowl party is 8 of my friends getting together to eat wings and drink beer and watch the game, absolutely.

If a Super Bowl party is someone I kind of know hosting some big event with mostly people I don't know where the most common conversations are going to be about the commercials and Taylor Swift....hell no.

Send that invite my way. That party sounds awesome!

No, unless it is with my 3 close friends I watch games with each week. I am an absolute maniac and don’t like people to see me that way. I know it’s stupid and shouldn’t matter to me but it does.
I fell ya, bro.🙁 My ex use to tell me "you know they cant hear you, right?" when I would yell at the tv screen. My response was defiant, "maybe they'd play better if they could!" That's when she would go to the bedroom, close the door and watch a movie.

No, unless it is with my 3 close friends I watch games with each week. I am an absolute maniac and don’t like people to see me that way. I know it’s stupid and shouldn’t matter to me but it does.
I fell ya, bro.🙁 My ex use to tell me "you know they cant hear you, right?" when I would yell at the tv screen. My response was defiant, "maybe they'd play better if they could!" That's when she would go to the bedroom, close the door and watch a movie.

:lmao:

When my dad first started playing fantasy football with us 20 years ago, he would drop guys who got him zero points. He thought he was sending a message to the rest of the guys on his team.

When my dad first started playing fantasy football with us 20 years ago, he would drop guys who got him zero points. He thought he was sending a message to the rest of the guys on his team.

I mean who hasn't put an underperforming star player in their flex spot just to send a message?

Lmao

My second year of marriage my wife made me leave a sports bar during the fsu Auburn title game. I told her these MFs should be paying to see somebody act this way.

super bowl parties are one of the only times all year I can have cream cheese stuffed bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers, spinach dip, deviled eggs, wings, lit'l smokies, and every other artery blocker all at once and not be looked at side ways for going back for thirds :bag:

Depends on the group but I have and also have stayed home.

The one thing I have done regularly though was stay home when invited to a group I knew were fans of one team......

odd ?
The best Super Bowl party I ever went to was in 95. I was the only cowboys fan there. Those were the days :kicksrock:

Sure, why not?
To focus on the actual game

You can't focus on the game at a party?
Nope, I already answered why above

You can't focus on the game because women are talking?

Don't go, then. I just think that's a silly reason why you can't watch a game. Never been to a sports bar to watch your team play? Have you GONE to a game in person to see your team play? Lots of people talking around you there. :shrug:
I think you need to recognize that not everyone wants to experience things the way you want to experience them and that doesn't make it wrong.

In every situation you describe, a loud party or a sports bar, I've thought "Nope. Nope. I'd rather stay home so I can hear everything." Not hearing every little detail and being able to focus solely on the game hinders my ability to enjoy it.

That's fair. I just don't place a premium on hearing everything. I can watch the action and know what's happening. I don't take my Walkman into the stadium to listen to the announcers on the radio either, but I see others who do it.
And I don't like going to football games in person for just that. I want to see the penalty, hear the explanation and you can't do that in a stadium.

I largely boycott Super Bowl parties. A neighbor has one every year and invites the whole street. We typically do not attend because I actually want to WATCH the game, which 80% of the people at the party do not do. I don't want to socialize. I want to watch the game.

I don't understand this. You can't grab a plate of food and park yourself in front of the TV?
It sounds simple, but it isn't.

You have to navigate the gambit of people just to get your food, getting stopped every few feet by neighbors to give them a fill-in on how things are going, how the kids are, how their kids are, etc....then you push to where the game is actually showing, which in many cases is more of a formal living room/den with a smallish TV because that's what is off of the kitchen. If you were one of the first to complete the food / socialization gauntlet, you might get a seat by the coffee table, where you awkwardly hunch over, eating semi-warm pot-luck foods with your hands or maybe a toothpick if it's really fancy. Worst case, you're standing behind the sofa trying to balance your plate and hold a beer you probably don't like without spilling it on their furniture. You might be able to hear some of the broadcast, but in our case, they usually have the volume down and the closed captioning on.

The alternative is you can order a bucket of wings and have a fridge full of your own drinks. You can sit in the comfort of your own basement in whatever clothes you desire, and watch the game on your own 85" TV with the volume cranked up.

It might be different if the party was my top few guy friends...but in our case, it's the neighbors. They range in age from late 30's/early 40's (I'm 45, wife is 38) to early 70's. The host is in his late 50's.

Sure, why not?

Don't go, then. I just think that's a silly reason why you can't watch a game. Never been to a sports bar to watch your team play? Have you GONE to a game in person to see your team play? Lots of people talking around you there. :shrug:
I think you need to recognize that not everyone wants to experience things the way you want to experience them and that doesn't make it wrong.

In every situation you describe, a loud party or a sports bar, I've thought "Nope. Nope. I'd rather stay home so I can hear everything." Not hearing every little detail and being able to focus solely on the game hinders my ability to enjoy it.

That's fair. I just don't place a premium on hearing everything. I can watch the action and know what's happening. I don't take my Walkman into the stadium to listen to the announcers on the radio either, but I see others who do it.
Watching Football live is a horrible experience vs watching on TV

Sure, why not?

And I don't like going to football games in person for just that. I want to see the penalty, hear the explanation and you can't do that in a stadium.
To each their own and that's certainly understandable, but there is something electric about being there as it happens. Shared joy (or grief) with thousands of "friends" is a powerful thing.

super bowl parties are one of the only times all year I can have cream cheese stuffed bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers, spinach dip, deviled eggs, wings, lit'l smokies, and every other artery blocker all at once and not be looked at side ways for going back for thirds :bag:

See, now THIS guy can come to my party. Hell yeah, MexiJoe!

The one thing I have done regularly though was stay home when invited to a group I knew were fans of one team......

odd ?
The best Super Bowl party I ever went to was in 95. I was the only cowboys fan there. Those were the days :kicksrock:

It was technically '96. I only know because it was a few weeks before I left Texas for good. Maybe it's all my fault?

Sure, why not?

Nothing beats a college football game on a beautiful Saturday with a packed house, IMO. There's no substitute for the rush I get being there. I don't need Joe Klatt to explain offsides to me.

Sure, why not?

Yeah, you're right. Nobody likes going to the games. They're horrible. That's why tickets are cheap and easy to get.

Sure, why not?

Yeah, you're right. Nobody likes going to the games. They're horrible. That's why tickets are cheap and easy to get.
Not really sure there's a right or wrong here. Just my opinion.

I largely boycott Super Bowl parties. A neighbor has one every year and invites the whole street. We typically do not attend because I actually want to WATCH the game, which 80% of the people at the party do not do. I don't want to socialize. I want to watch the game.

I don't understand this. You can't grab a plate of food and park yourself in front of the TV?
It sounds simple, but it isn't.

You have to navigate the gambit of people just to get your food, getting stopped every few feet by neighbors to give them a fill-in on how things are going, how the kids are, how their kids are, etc....then you push to where the game is actually showing, which in many cases is more of a formal living room/den with a smallish TV because that's what is off of the kitchen. If you were one of the first to complete the food / socialization gauntlet, you might get a seat by the coffee table, where you awkwardly hunch over, eating semi-warm pot-luck foods with your hands or maybe a toothpick if it's really fancy. Worst case, you're standing behind the sofa trying to balance your plate and hold a beer you probably don't like without spilling it on their furniture. You might be able to hear some of the broadcast, but in our case, they usually have the volume down and the closed captioning on.

The alternative is you can order a bucket of wings and have a fridge full of your own drinks. You can sit in the comfort of your own basement in whatever clothes you desire, and watch the game on your own 85" TV with the volume cranked up.

It might be different if the party was my top few guy friends...but in our case, it's the neighbors. They range in age from late 30's/early 40's (I'm 45, wife is 38) to early 70's. The host is in his late 50's.

Yeah, I dunno what you just described but that's not a Super Bowl party. Sounds like a neighborhood potluck or church function. Yall have weird friends and neighbors.

Sure, why not?

Absolutely. I went to my first home dolphins game last year to cross that experience off the list. Never again.

odd ?

It was technically '96. I only know because it was a few weeks before I left Texas for good. Maybe it's all my fault?
Gee thanks….jinxy

Sure, why not?

Absolutely. I went to my first home dolphins game last year to cross that experience off the list. Never again.

To each their own I guess.

Was fortunate enough to sit behind the end zone of a Broncos/Chargers game in the 90s. Great view getting to watch Elway throw the ball with the pocket collapsing. Watching his fastball live is not an experience I've seen duplicated on TV. It's also the last NFL game I attended live. But it's a memory I'm glad I have.

I've been to 75 or so Ducks games for college football. College football live is an incredible experience. For me, anyhow.

Sure, why not?

i guess it’s what you want, Raider games are electric win or lose :shrug:

to be fairrrrrrr I feel that way about basketball, being at the warriors/lakers game saturday was top 1 experience so far and will be hard to top.ZOMGLOOKATME

We hosted a small Super Bowl party for the last SF-KC matchup in 2020. The men we invited didn't show, presumably for some of the reasons listed above.

It ended up just me along with 8 or 9 women. The ones who hung in the living room watching the game were big Niners fans and were much more invested in the outcome than I was. It ended up being a lot of fun but we're not going to have people over this year.

I hosted a SB party for about 15 years. Stopped when my kids started playing soccer and that sport for some reason decides to have it's biggest club/all star tournaments on SB Weekend.

When I hosted I had TV's in multiple rooms. The party/social people were always in the big room talking & waiting for commercials. The people there for the game were always in the other room and focused on the game. It worked out well and had the best of all worlds. I also included a poker tourney (Friday), golf tourney (Saturday), and more golf on Monday. It was an event.

Being a Vikings fan I haven't had to worry about my team being in the SB so I have never really had this dilemma. I know in 99 and 2009 when they were close my buddy was trying to talk me into trying to get tickets for the game if they made it. I told him there was no way in hell I would want to be at the game. That viewing experience would be terrible (the excitement and atmosphere would be incredible but the game viewing would suck). As far as a SB party viewing experience if the Vikes ever make it, I am not sure what I would do.

I am a lifelong Redskin fan and used to hate the Raiders.
I went to a Super Bowl party where I was the only Skins fan there.
Unfortunately it was the 38-9 shellacking and everyone really enjoyed rubbing it in.
It was a very painful experience that I don't recommend to anyone. :wall::cry:

Sure, why not?

to be fairrrrrrr I feel that way about basketball, being at the warriors/lakers game saturday was top 1 experience so far and will be hard to top.ZOMGLOOKATME

I must have missed this fairrrrrrrr shtick. Whats it all about?

Sure, why not?

Letterkenny

If someone invited you to a Super Bowl party but the team you root for is IN the Super Bowl, would you attend?
For me—it depends on the nature of the party. If the party consists of my close friends—then absolutely yes. If we’re referring to the type of party where the people there are nothing more than general acquaintances—then I’d probably rather watch it in a setting where I could focus on the game more and not have to worry about socializing too much.

Sure, why not?

it was during golf when you were past out!

I mean who hasn't put an underperforming star player in their flex spot just to send a message?

I like to bench my entire team when I have a bye In the playoffs. They earned the rest.

Sure, why not?

To each their own I guess.

Was fortunate enough to sit behind the end zone of a Broncos/Chargers game in the 90s. Great view getting to watch Elway throw the ball with the pocket collapsing. Watching his fastball live is not an experience I've seen duplicated on TV. It's also the last NFL game I attended live. But it's a memory I'm glad I have.

I've been to 75 or so Ducks games for college football. College football live is an incredible experience. For me, anyhow.
Yeah, I know the feeling, but I get it from live music. Been to a handful of Rutgers game and those were fun; especially the tailgating. I always go whenever my cousin sends an invite my way. Probably even better at the bigger schools although there might be a point of diminishing returns. All that being said, as an at home viewer, the games wouldn't be the same without you crazy kids in the stands so I thank you for your service.

Sure, why not?

To each their own and that's certainly understandable, but there is something electric about being there as it happens. Shared joy (or grief) with thousands of "friends" is a powerful thing.
Fair point and well taken.

Man, I throw a SB party every year. The only party we throw that is 20+. One of my favorite days of the year. The year the Eagles won was the best party ever BECAUSE there were two huge Eagles fans there. Made the party so much more fun listening to them celebrate.

Another favorite memory was the last Patriots' SB victory. My great friend Ed was a diehard Pats fan. Poor guy got diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer and he knew that life wasn't long for him. So we threw the party, invited all his friends, had fellow fantasy league members fly in for it, it was awesome. He shouted GRONKENSTEIN!!!! every time Gronk caught one. It was special. Glad we did that. He was gone less than 2 years later.

Sure, why not?

I'd go if there were mostly serious fans but a big party with half of the people chit chatting throughout and cheering loudly for meaningless plays gets annoying if I'm focused on the game :shrug:
The party I bartend for, maybe 10 of the 50 care about the game. The place goes silent during the commercials and halftime though. I just hope the tips are good.

I doubt it. I'd have to feel really obligated to go to the party if the Jets were in it. Leave me alone in my cave until the game is over.

If a Jets fan entered a cave after their last Super Bowl appearance, they would have now spent twice as long inside as the Japanese soldiers who held out in caves after WWII.

Less honor among Jets fans.
Imagine if people like us were required to commit ritual suicide every time our team was humiliated.

Watching the game with friends at a party >>>>> watching with friends at home >>>>>>watching it alone >>>>>>> watching it with the wife

I would go because it forces me not to be a lunatic and the presence of casual observers helps put things in perspective.

Man, I throw a SB party every year. The only party we throw that is 20+. One of my favorite days of the year. The year the Eagles won was the best party ever BECAUSE there were two huge Eagles fans there. Made the party so much more fun listening to them celebrate.

Another favorite memory was the last Patriots' SB victory. My great friend Ed was a diehard Pats fan. Poor guy got diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer and he knew that life wasn't long for him. So we threw the party, invited all his friends, had fellow fantasy league members fly in for it, it was awesome. He shouted GRONKENSTEIN!!!! every time Gronk caught one. It was special. Glad we did that. He was gone less than 2 years later.
This is my 15th year hosting a SB party. Yea usually 20 people. When the Bucs won it in 2021 the 6 of us there (Covid year) took a polar plunge in the pool. One of my favorite memories screaming and hugging in a freezing pool after the hell that was covid. I hope we get another one with the Bucs when we can have a full house.

Users who are viewing this thread