What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would you goto a Super Bowl party if... (1 Viewer)

jobarules

Footballguy
If someone invited you to a Super Bowl party but the team you root for is IN the Super Bowl, would you attend?

Depends on the group but I have and also have stayed home.

The one thing I have done regularly though was stay home when invited to a group I knew were fans of one team......

odd ?

Depends on the group but I have and also have stayed home.

The one thing I have done regularly though was stay home when invited to a group I knew were fans of one team......

odd ?
In my case I'm the only fan of this team
ok...
1. more fun with my friends who are also fans of my team.
2. i'm ok for SB with fans of NFL with football knowledge.
3. not so fun with casual fans who do not care about the game.

The three times Seattle has been in the SB I stayed home and watched the game with family only.....pretty much just me because my wife and daughters don't really care.

Probably not. I actually told someone today, while I always want my team to be in the Super Bowl I actually enjoy the event more when I have no rooting interest.

As a Chiefs fan, will be staying home this year, which is fine by me!

If someone invited you to a Super Bowl party but the team you root for is IN the Super Bowl, would you attend?

Sure, why not?

what is the rationale not too? 🤷‍♂️

I have gone. I have hosted.
Most Super Bowl parties Ive gone too, the women are talking are barely watching and talking about non-football related things. The kids are running around and/or asking a million questions. Half the dudes dont even know the QBs on each team and are only watching for their boxes and/or commercials, the other half are telling you about all their bets, and I can barely hear the TV.

I think my answer could change also on who my team is....

I've seen "my team" win a few - if it was a team that hasn't one won ever or a very long time I could see not going

Yes. Invited to pretty much the same party the last 5 years with a group of people I know pretty well. If the Lions would have made it I would have had a spot reserved right in front of the TV. No other Lions fans.

Might make a difference if I didn't know most of the people.

No, but not really anything to do with my team being in it or not. I can’t remember the last time that I attended a SB party, and can’t say it’s something that I’ve missed.

Sure, why not?

what is the rationale not too? 🤷‍♂️

I have gone. I have hosted.
Most Super Bowl parties Ive gone too, the women are talking are barely watching and talking about non-football related things. The kids are running around and/or asking a million questions. Half the dudes dont even know the QBs on each team and are only watching for their boxes and/or commercials, the other half are telling you about all their bets, and I can barely hear the TV.
if my team is in it, minimum criteria is having people who know and can talk football. But being a lifelong fan, good chance that I would attend or host with my oldest/closest friends...who are also fans.

I wont even go to my brothers house with our good friend who is also a fan of the same team cuz I would be a ball of nerves pacong like a cat and likely willl be tempted to yell at the tv screen. I am no fun to be around at those moments. Personal weakness, I know.

If everyone at the party is rooting for my team, most likely yes. If not, no. Been to one mixed Super Bowl party where a fight broke out. No thanks.

I largely boycott Super Bowl parties. A neighbor has one every year and invites the whole street. We typically do not attend because I actually want to WATCH the game, which 80% of the people at the party do not do. I don't want to socialize. I want to watch the game.

Sure, why not?
To focus on the actual game

You can't focus on the game at a party?

If I was superstitious and had a lucky TV or something, maybe. Otherwise, the Super Bowl for me is a time for fun, family, food and friends and some light-stakes gambling. The last time 'my team' was in a Super Bowl I went to a watch party, but that was before HDTV and was 4 presidents ago.

I largely boycott Super Bowl parties. A neighbor has one every year and invites the whole street. We typically do not attend because I actually want to WATCH the game, which 80% of the people at the party do not do. I don't want to socialize. I want to watch the game.

I don't understand this. You can't grab a plate of food and park yourself in front of the TV?

I don't understand this. You can't grab a plate of food and park yourself in front of the TV?
What’s the point of going out to a party though in that case? I’d rather just make some excuse that I’ve got to get to work early (or kid to school) early the next morning and sit in my home in my sweatpants, than try to figure out how to politely avoid small talk with people for four hours.

What’s the point of going out to a party though in that case? I’d rather just make some excuse that I’ve got to get to work early (or kid to school) early the next morning and sit in my home in my sweatpants, than try to figure out how to politely avoid small talk with people for four hours.

I guess the point of going is to watch the game with friends/family and have a little fun? It's not like the teams' performance is going to change on where I watch. I certainly don't need to hear every single word from Nantz and Romo to know what's going on. It's not a movie.

I can see the work/kid thing. You guys that don't live on the west coast are missing out. Early start times FOR THE WIN!

Yes. But I help a buddy host our youth group every year now. It’s actually a lot more fun with a group of 13 year old boys and no alcohol.

I don't understand this. You can't grab three plates of food and park yourself in front of the TV?
leave the fat guy alone....

The reason I asked this question is we were invited to a Super Bowl party at a friends house and have gone every year since 2021 but this year I told them Im probably not going. Im a 49er fan and live in NY. My friend said he completely understood. My wife said I was nuts.

Sure, why not?

Nope, I already answered why above

You can't focus on the game because women are talking?

Don't go, then. I just think that's a silly reason why you can't watch a game. Never been to a sports bar to watch your team play? Have you GONE to a game in person to see your team play? Lots of people talking around you there. :shrug:

Sure, why not?

Don't go, then. I just think that's a silly reason why you can't watch a game. Never been to a sports bar to watch your team play? Have you GONE to a game in person to see your team play? Lots of people talking around you there. :shrug:
Actually no I havent for both of those. The difference is when you goto those, the people AROUND you are also into the game and rooting for the team.

I hate Superbowl parties because there's always some non-fan who only watches the Superbowl, but will ALWAYS have strong opinions about what's happening and will have no problem sharing them.

"When did they bring back instant replay?"
"They should've gone for it on 4th and 16."
"Why didn't Payton Manning's team make the Superbowl? This team should trade for him"
"They should just get rid of the extra point."

Need to be very selective about who you attend one of these with for sanity's sake.

No. For the three Packers superbowls since I've been an adult its been a very small gathering of close friends at someone's house. I would not go to a large party mostly just because I am somewhat introverted and just don't like that scene for a game I'm really intent on watching. For other superbowls - yes, I enjoy going to a party.

I've done super bowl parties. As described above, they are usually filled with people who aren't there to watch the game. People see it as a social event.

When watching football, I am not a social person. At all. I curse like a drunken sailor and snarl at people to shut up if they have the audacity to speak of anything but the game.

Sure, why not?

I think you need to recognize that not everyone wants to experience things the way you want to experience them and that doesn't make it wrong.

In every situation you describe, a loud party or a sports bar, I've thought "Nope. Nope. I'd rather stay home so I can hear everything." Not hearing every little detail and being able to focus solely on the game hinders my ability to enjoy it.

Sure, why not?

Actually no I havent for both of those. The difference is when you goto those, the people AROUND you are also into the game and rooting for the team.

Not necessarily. Like you, I live thousands of miles from the team I grew-up cheering for. If I want to watch them play a big game in a sports bar I'm likely to find just as many people rooting AGAINST my team as for. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

But for the Super Bowl, I suppose it's a bigger deal. The last time I had this situation the Macarena was the number one song in the world.

I hate Superbowl parties because there's always some non-fan who only watches the Superbowl, but will ALWAYS have strong opinions about what's happening and will have no problem sharing them.

"When did they bring back instant replay?"
"They should've gone for it on 4th and 16."
"Why didn't Payton Manning's team make the Superbowl? This team should trade for him"
"They should just get rid of the extra point."

Need to be very selective about who you attend one of these with for sanity's sake.

Note to self: Do not invite Scoresman to my SB parties.....

Sure, why not?

I think you need to recognize that not everyone wants to experience things the way you want to experience them and that doesn't make it wrong.

In every situation you describe, a loud party or a sports bar, I've thought "Nope. Nope. I'd rather stay home so I can hear everything." Not hearing every little detail and being able to focus solely on the game hinders my ability to enjoy it.

That's fair. I just don't place a premium on hearing everything. I can watch the action and know what's happening. I don't take my Walkman into the stadium to listen to the announcers on the radio either, but I see others who do it.

I would need to know the TV set up and some basic rules of football viewing decency were to be followed :lol: - big TV, there is plenty of room, no pausing game etc.

Users who are viewing this thread