What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If the Super Bowl was $100 PPV would you pay for it? (1 Viewer)

Would you pay $100 for the Super Bowl PPV?

• Yes

Votes: 32 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 122 79.2%

• Total voters

Willie Neslon

Footballguy
It's the year 2032. Thursday night football is still on Amazon, Monday night football is only available on ESPN+, Sunday night Football is now exclusively on Peacock and now for the first time the Super Bowl is a straight PPV for $100. Would you pony up the $100 so you could watch the Super Bowl? Would you pay a cover to watch at a bar? Would you make it a priority to go to a party and watch with friends? After making us pay for a playoff game on Peacock this year it seems inevitable that we'll have to pay to watch NFL games more and more in the coming years. Where do you draw the line?

Voted yes. If it was just me, would probably go to a bar. But more likely pay the $100 and have a party. Last year, the SB party I went to, most people there were part of a Poly community, and didn't even understand football, but they all were excited to be watching, be it the game, halftime or commercials.

i would actually want the new superbowl commercials to be a part of the package i like those things and its part of the entire show for me take that to the bank brohans

No.

But I would pay $100+ to listen to Paul Keels call the game. I know it's gonna sound hella homerish but he calls the games on the radio for Ohio State football and he has the best, smoothest, delivery on any format.

Still with commercials? Hell no.

Commercial-less? I would be tempted to say "probably".
Right. My yes was assuming that PPV also means no commercials.

Like others, I'd probably throw or attend a party. I wouldn't pay $100 to sit by myself and watch it.

As pissed off as I would be about it I voted yes. There's no way I could not watch the game. I hate being gouged but if I'm being 100% honest, come that Sunday morning I'm biting the bullet and giving the Jerry Joneses that $100.

nope but i would pirate it
The NFL will make it unpiratable. Not an option.
Pirates have a history of being undefeated. 🦜
Organizations like the UFC and WWE have for years battled pirates but rarely if ever win.

The take down law is poorly written. Under U.S. copyright law, online services are required to “expeditiously” respond to takedown notices if they want to keep their safe harbor protections. However, the law doesn’t define what the term expeditious entails.

As such even though the UFC sends out 1000's of these takedown notices every event, many streams stay up for the entire event.

They are trying to get the law changed from "expeditious" to something like "instant"

We are all saying no yet we all would. And the NFL knows it. :boxing:

I want to say no, but if the Chargers were in it I probably would. More likely I would see if a group would be up for a party and going in on the fee.

No.

It infuriates me they made a profit from the ppv playoff game the other week. Everyone should have exercised just a little self control and skipped one playoff game. Nobody will even THINK of trying that @$#^T again for several years.

No.

But I would pay $100+ to listen to Paul Keels call the game. I know it's gonna sound hella homerish but he calls the games on the radio for Ohio State football and he has the best, smoothest, delivery on any format.
I had a blog for about 30 seconds called Iwannabepaulkeels.

No.

It infuriates me they made a profit from the ppv playoff game the other week. Everyone should have exercised just a little self control and skipped one playoff game. Nobody will even THINK of trying that @$#^T again for several years.
A streaming service like Peacock in not the same as PPV.

if you are using the term PPV as being anyone who pays to watch the NFL on tv, then the vast majority of NFL games are pay via cable/satellite/streaming. The only people watching for free is the small % of people who watch via OTA.

Here is some info for those wondering how PPV money could potentially be significantly more revenue than commercials.

In the US, ~50m households watch the Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl does ~$500m in ad revenue.

If even only 10m home paid for the PPV, they would double their traditional ad revenue at $100 a pop.

No.

A streaming service like Peacock in not the same as PPV.

if you are using the term PPV as being anyone who pays to watch the NFL on tv, then the vast majority of NFL games are pay via cable/satellite/streaming. The only people watching for free is the small % of people who watch via OTA.
Fair point. However you wish to define it, but having to pay on top of a normal cable bill, etc. just to watch one NFL game.

Nope. So many free pirated streaming services out there. I stopped paying for NFL Ticket and NBA Pass years ago.

I'll answer based on not being able to pirate it like I do now. Probably not. I've slowly drifted away from watching most sports. Football is really the only thing I still watch consistently (mainly dolphins games) and that would be the last domino to fall if I started getting charged for it.

Definitely not. I've skipped the last few super bowls when they were free.
Same
I went from watching every game I could lay my eyes on 30 years ago to watching maybe a dozen Ravens games a year and perhaps any other intriguing Sunday matchup a few times a season. Never watch Monday or Thursday night and only watch Saturday games late season if they are on in a house I'm at while hanging with family or friends. The super bowl doesnt entice me anymore and I can watch the Good commercials the next day streaming.

I will watch all playoff games if they involve the Ravens however, and that includes the super bowl. But I'll never pay ppv for it.

Definitely not. I've skipped the last few super bowls when they were free.
Same
I went from watching every game I could lay my eyes on 30 years ago to watching maybe a dozen Ravens games a year and perhaps any other intriguing Sunday matchup a few times a season. Never watch Monday or Thursday night and only watch Saturday games late season if they are on in a house I'm at while hanging with family or friends. The super bowl doesnt entice me anymore and I can watch the Good commercials the next day streaming.

I will watch all playoff games if they involve the Ravens however, and that includes the super bowl. But I'll never pay ppv for it.
I definitely wouldn’t pay to watch it. I haven’t watched the last few Super Bowls and barely watch any NFL games. I haven’t watched any playoff games this year and doubt I watch any more NFL this season. The games have lost their excitement.

I didn't subscribe to Peacock for a $6 playoff game, and I'm sure as hell not going to pay $100 to watch the Superb Owl. If my team was playing in it I would go to a bar or try to find somewhere to watch it, but I'm not paying 100 bones for one single game I don't care how Super it is.

If my team were playing, I'd consider it but would probably be at a watch party at my son in law's anyway, so no. Besides, the game will replay on the NFL network a few hours later and run for weeks. I'd catch it the next day.

As a Panther fan, I concede that I may never face this dilemma.

Users who are viewing this thread