What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would you goto a Super Bowl party if... (1 Viewer)

I doubt it. I'd have to feel really obligated to go to the party if the Jets were in it. Leave me alone in my cave until the game is over.

If a Jets fan entered a cave after their last Super Bowl appearance, they would have now spent twice as long inside as the Japanese soldiers who held out in caves after WWII.

Less honor among Jets fans.
Imagine if people like us were required to commit ritual suicide every time our team was humiliated.
With some teams even a cat wouldn't last one season.

I used to host a SB party. Did it for a few years, haven't in awhile. SB weekend is weird for me. 20 years ago (Janet Jackson game) I was in a horrific single-car accident the morning of SB that took the life of a friend. So since then, it's kind of been a weird time for me. I guess I crave to be with others, even if a bunch of them are there for the social aspect.

Last year - and likely this Sunday as well - we went to our neighborhood church who have people in one of their "hangout" rooms with a bigscreen. Kids can play pool or run around on the blacktop/grass or go on the playground. They have burgers on the grill and everyone brings a side or dessert. We'll probably go for the first half and eat and hang out but most likely at halftime we'll walk (5 minute walk) home and I'll just watch the rest on my bigscreen. Wife works on Sundays so it'll just be me and my son (if he wants to watch... might not). I'll have a couple of squares and will likely put some prop bets in on Sleeper just to make it interesting.

But gone are the days where I go to bars and drink heavily on SB Sunday. The car accident I was in was kinda-sorta drinking-related and I'd rather just reflect on my life, enjoy the game, and enjoy both the company of others for a bit and then solitude.

I used to host a SB party. Did it for a few years, haven't in awhile. SB weekend is weird for me. 20 years ago (Janet Jackson game) I was in a horrific single-car accident the morning of SB that took the life of a friend. So since then, it's kind of been a weird time for me. I guess I crave to be with others, even if a bunch of them are there for the social aspect.

Last year - and likely this Sunday as well - we went to our neighborhood church who have people in one of their "hangout" rooms with a bigscreen. Kids can play pool or run around on the blacktop/grass or go on the playground. They have burgers on the grill and everyone brings a side or dessert. We'll probably go for the first half and eat and hang out but most likely at halftime we'll walk (5 minute walk) home and I'll just watch the rest on my bigscreen. Wife works on Sundays so it'll just be me and my son (if he wants to watch... might not). I'll have a couple of squares and will likely put some prop bets in on Sleeper just to make it interesting.

But gone are the days where I go to bars and drink heavily on SB Sunday. The car accident I was in was kinda-sorta drinking-related and I'd rather just reflect on my life, enjoy the game, and enjoy both the company of others for a bit and then solitude.

That's heavy, man. Sorry you went through something like that.

Thanks. Each year things get a little easier, but considering it's kind of a "milestone" anniversary this year I will probably be thinking about it quite a bit.

It was a budding relationship with the best friend of one of my best girl friend's husband. If that makes sense. We were the "single guys" in a big group of people and we were getting to be good friends and it was just the beginning of what could have been a real special friendship.

We were in Tijuana the night before SB doing all sorts of debaucherous activities, decided to drive home the next morning rather than getting some cheap motel by the border to sleep off what we'd imbibed the night before.

Driver (friend of my buddy) fell asleep at the wheel and flipped the truck we were in, smashing half of the cab. Had I been sitting up in the back seat I would have been crushed. Instead, because I ended up laying down in the back cab, I just got my feet crushed pretty good and was concussed and had a few broken ribs. Could have been worse.

Anyways, don't want to derail here so yeah. That's my 2004 Super Bowl story! Watched the game from a hospital bed on a morphine drip and thought I was hallucinating when I saw Janet Jackson's boob.

Thanks. Each year things get a little easier, but considering it's kind of a "milestone" anniversary this year I will probably be thinking about it quite a bit.

It was a budding relationship with the best friend of one of my best girl friend's husband. If that makes sense. We were the "single guys" in a big group of people and we were getting to be good friends and it was just the beginning of what could have been a real special friendship.

We were in Tijuana the night before SB doing all sorts of debaucherous activities, decided to drive home the next morning rather than getting some cheap motel by the border to sleep off what we'd imbibed the night before.

Driver (friend of my buddy) fell asleep at the wheel and flipped the truck we were in, smashing half of the cab. Had I been sitting up in the back seat I would have been crushed. Instead, because I ended up laying down in the back cab, I just got my feet crushed pretty good and was concussed and had a few broken ribs. Could have been worse.

Anyways, don't want to derail here so yeah. That's my 2004 Super Bowl story! Watched the game from a hospital bed on a morphine drip and thought I was hallucinating when I saw Janet Jackson's boob.
Damn. Sorry to hear this.

Users who are viewing this thread