What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wow....listen to this homeless guy.... (1 Viewer)

Golden Voice Ted Williams: Where Is He Now?

First Published: September 16, 2013 2:47 PM EDT Credit: Access Hollywood

Golden Voice Ted Williams stops by Access Hollywood Live on September 16, 2013Caption

LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Ted Williams, the once-homeless man who shot to fame after his “golden voice” was featured on YouTube, has endured a rocky road since being thrust into the public eye – but he’s gotten himself on the right path and he’s now narrating a new movie about the plight of other homeless individuals.

Ted stopped by Access Hollywood Live on Monday and gave Billy Bush and Kit Hoover an update on his struggles and accomplishments.

“I thought all of this was going to just last for a week,” he said looking back on his success, which includes a book, a charity, numerous voiceover jobs and now narrating the documentary, “Houseless.”

“I went from homelessness, just nothing, to having 20 grand,” he explained. “I was thinking the first time all of this great fortune has come to me and now it’s gone in a matter of minutes.”

Once he was thrust into the spotlight, Ted’s struggles with drugs and alcohol continued to plague him.

After appearing on the “Dr. Phil Show” in 2011, an incident with one of his daughters led to the police taking Ted into custody. He told Billy and Kit that once he was reunited with his family in Los Angeles, they celebrated and indulged in some heavy drinking, while hiding it from everyone.

“I was never charged, finger printed, [or had a] mug shot or anything,” he said of the incident that would land him in rehab for the first time. “The Beverly Hills cops just had a great time laughing at me in the holding tank.”

With the help of Dr. Phil, Ted entered rehab in Texas, but it didn’t last long.

“I wasn’t [ready], but I was,” he said of his first rehab stint, which only lasted eight days. “I was under the assumption that I would be there for 30 days… Thank God there was Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen at the time… instead of the Golden Voice, I went under the radar.”

Ted explained that he then battled with drugs yet again, following his eight-day rehab stay, but was given another chance at sobriety by Dr. Phil, who sent him back to rehab. He began his second rehab stint in May 2011 and stayed for 90 days at the Texas treatment center.

“Now, I’m really ready,” Ted said of his sobriety. “[i’ve been sober] two years, three months and 17 days… I’m really trying hard. I’m doing really well. I’m surrounding myself with great people. I’m going to a lot of 12 step meetings, I’ve got a sponsor.”

As for his latest project, “Houseless,” Ted told Billy and Kit it shows “the real side of homelessness.”

He also offered up an alternative to money that people wanting help those in need can give.

“Socks work like money,” he explained.

READ: ‘Golden-Voice’ Ted Williams Detained By Police In Hollywood

Find out more information on “Houseless” and Ted’s other efforts to help the homeless.

-- Jesse Spero

Thanks for posting that update, I was just thinking of him the other day and forgot to check on how he was doing.

I can just imagine how tough it is to stay sober when you count it like this: two years, three months and 17 days

Once-homeless man with smooth voice is back on the airwaves

Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The once-homeless man whose silky voice turned him into an Internet sensation five years ago is back on the air — at the same Ohio radio station where he started a broadcasting career derailed by drug and alcohol addiction.

Ted Williams recently returned to the airwaves with a weekday program on WKVO-AM, The Columbus Dispatch reported (http://bit.ly/1Zd1IKb). Williams, 58, got his start at the station in the 1980s.

The new show is Williams' first steady employment since 1993 and comes five years after The Dispatch featured the former panhandler's smooth radio voice in an online video.

The video brought Williams instant fame but meant his personal struggles played out in public, including Dr. Phil appearances and family altercations that made the tabloids.

When The Dispatch caught up with Williams in October 2014, he was living in an apartment with no furniture, didn't have a car and couldn't explain what happened to a $395,000 advance for his 2012 memoir. :o

Williams said he's focusing on moving forward while living with his daughter and his longtime girlfriend, who has also battled drug addiction.

Williams said he wants to be an example for others who are trying to turn their lives around.

"I want them to know that I've been through struggles — and they have, too," he said. "I don't know what tomorrow will bring. That 'one day at a time' really means one second at a time."

___

Information from: The Columbus Dispatch, http://www.dispatch.com

So,  I just met this guy at KFC tonight.  I was waiting on my order and he walked in and started talking to the customers. 

I recognized his face and when I heard his voice I knew it was him.  I spoke with him for a few minutes.  He lives in Dublin now (a wealthy suburb of Columbus.) he made it a point to say he's 5 years sober.  Said that at least 3 times.

He told me he works for the Denver Nuggets now which doesn't make a lot of sense to me if he still lives in Columbus. 

He's raising money for some charity to help the homeless.  I gave him two dollars and he signed a picture for me.  Apparently he walks around with these things. 

http://i.imgur.com/Xs50Ufh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So,  I just met this guy at KFC tonight.  I was waiting on my order and he walked in and started talking to the customers. 

I recognized his face and when I heard his voice I knew it was him.  I spoke with him for a few minutes.  He lives in Dublin now (a wealthy suburb of Columbus.) he made it a point to say he's 5 years sober.  Said that at least 3 times.

He told me he works for the Denver Nuggets now which doesn't make a lot of sense to me if he still lives in Columbus. 

He's raising money for some charity to help the homeless.  I gave him two dollars and he signed a picture for me.  Apparently he walks around with these things. 

Did he look high?

Nope,  not at all.  He was sober and happy.  Seemed like a nice guy.  I hugged him and told him I was happy to see him so much better off than he was 5 years ago. 

Nice update.   :thumbup:

Every now and then something reminds me of him and I wonder how he's doing.

I would assume it's voice work for the nuggets? Which can really be done anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread