What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Andy Isabella, BAL (2 Viewers)

Love the back and forth in this thread ... and don’t get me wrong - love the tape. 

But this kid’s dynasty draft future is really tied to his draft location, meaning which team/scheme 
Sure but I have read the same thing in the N'Keal Harry thread and DJ Metcalf thread, etc. 

There's been a few WR like him in the past 5-10 years but they've only been successful in NE scheme. So I'm sceptical. 
I guess Phillip Dorsett hasn't done much except with New England. I just see lots of undersized burners have good careers in lots of places. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That is fine. And I am not too stupid. If he ends up in a bad spot, I am willing to back off. More than anything, this is how I would evaluate him as an NFL team which is the best we can do at this point. 
absolutely. he could end up in many places that would drop him down pretty far for me. I'm back and forth on if I like him or Campbell better...

absolutely. he could end up in many places that would drop him down pretty far for me. I'm back and forth on if I like him or Campbell better...
I think the top 6 at WR this year represent an incredible group. Metcalf, Harry, H. Butler, Campbell, Isabella and AJ Brown all have a broad path to landing as top 20 fantasy WRs over the next few years. This is a rare class and beyond these guys, there are still several more prospects with upside. 

I think the top 6 at WR this year represent an incredible group. Metcalf, Harry, H. Butler, Campbell, Isabella and AJ Brown all have a broad path to landing as top 20 fantasy WRs over the next few years. This is a rare class and beyond these guys, there are still several more prospects with upside. 
GMTA

Kelvin Harmon and Deebo Samuel will and should go before Isabella regardless of landing location, except maybe Baltimore.  Campbell should go after Isabella.  Campbell is no better than #11 WR.  I currently have Isabella as the #10 WR.

Kelvin Harmon and Deebo Samuel will and should go before Isabella regardless of landing location, except maybe Baltimore.  Campbell should go after Isabella.  Campbell is no better than #11 WR.  I currently have Isabella as the #10 WR.
Yeah, Harmon, Deebo, JJ ArcegaWhiteside, etc. Great class for sure. 

What do you mean by pedigree?
C’mon ... you know, the typical height/weight deal that “we” all drool over.

look, I love AI ... but if he goes to a team that isn’t going to use him to his strengths? He’s going to fail.

Whereas the other more “pedigreed” WR prospects could/might succeed - regardless of scheme/QB.

AI needs a team/QB/Scheme that’s going to get him looks underneath - I’m sure he can play outside, but he’s undoubtedly going to have to be the 3rd option for that to work

Please stop with the "AI" it'll never work and on a more personal level it irrationally aggravates me a bit.  Izzy is much better.  

C’mon ... you know, the typical height/weight deal that “we” all drool over.

look, I love AI ... but if he goes to a team that isn’t going to use him to his strengths? He’s going to fail.

Whereas the other more “pedigreed” WR prospects could/might succeed - regardless of scheme/QB.

AI needs a team/QB/Scheme that’s going to get him looks underneath - I’m sure he can play outside, but he’s undoubtedly going to have to be the 3rd option for that to work
He has the same size and athletic profile has TY Hilton, Lockett, John Brown, Desean Jackson and Brandin Cooks. I am not saying he will be that good but why is Isabella labeled an underneath WR???

He has the same size and athletic profile has TY Hilton, Lockett, John Brown, Desean Jackson and Brandin Cooks. I am not saying he will be that good but why Isabella labeled an underneath WR???
And all of those guys you mentioned ... were/are/have always been QB/Scheme dependent.

TY without Luck? John Broen without Carson? Desean withiut Andy Reid? Cooks without Brees, Brady and McVay? 

Lol hey bud, we both really like AI ... but you even said a few posts earlier “you’ll pass if he lands in a bad spot.”

So? 

The only reason you’d “pass” is because he’s limited physically. He needs to be in a “good spot”

Whereas your more prototypical WR, can succeed in situations that are not “ideal”

And all of those guys you mentioned ... were/are/have always been QB/Scheme dependent.

TY without Luck? John Broen without Carson? Desean withiut Andy Reid? Cooks without Brees, Brady and McVay? 

Lol hey bud, we both really like AI ... but you even said a few posts earlier “you’ll pass if he lands in a bad spot.”

So? 

The only reason you’d “pass” is because he’s limited physically. He needs to be in a “good spot”

Whereas your more prototypical WR, can succeed in situations that are not “ideal”
You are responding to a post where I just asked why he keeps getting pegged an underneath WR. 

Yeah, Harmon, Deebo, JJ ArcegaWhiteside, etc. Great class for sure. 
Slight hijack here, but I really don't know why people aren't higher on Arcega-Whiteside. I think its entirely possible he's the best WR in this class. I think he'll fly up boards after Stanford's pro day.

By the way, I watched highlight reels of this guy the other day. As many as I could find. It seems like he gains yardage deep and then underneath on out routes because the defense has to leave him such a cushion. I will admit that worries me a bit, as pro corners have speed and will be able to get up and press him. 

That's a really amateur take on it, though, and I don't have UMass game film, so take that observation from highlight reels for what it's worth. A route tree diagram from the year might tell an entirely different story.  

By the way, I watched highlight reels of this guy the other day. As many as I could find. It seems like he gains yardage deep and then underneath on out routes because the defense has to leave him such a cushion. I will admit that worries me a bit, as pro corners have speed and will be able to get up and press him. 

That's a really amateur take on it, though, and I don't have UMass game film, so take that observation from highlight reels for what it's worth. A route tree diagram from the year might tell an entirely different story.  
He'll surely face faster CBs than he did at UMass week in and week out but not even many pro CBs have 4.31 speed,

From this cursory article:

The vertical burst, head fakes and explosiveness out of the break are eye-popping, as Isabella consistently maximized separation against off coverage. I don't love the skip release off the line of scrimmage against off coverage, but I'm also not sure what techniques they were working on, because there are times where that footwork is useful. It's also an easy thing to unteach, and not a cause for long-term concern.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/welcome-to-the-andy-isabella-blender-machine

He's capable of playing in the slot and separating with quickness and explosive footwork over the middle of the field, but also has the deep speed to attack off coverage, force corners to open their hips early or win down the field on slot fades and vertical routes. That's a loaded combination for defenses to face from an inside receiver.

No clue what song that is so no, I'm not that old ha
We're probably more similar in age than you think, though I could be mistaken. :)

I just like good old-fashioned records sometimes. I think it's from '66. Anyway, sorry for the digression. I've been wanting to say that since I first saw this guy.  

He's capable of playing in the slot and separating with quickness and explosive footwork over the middle of the field, but also has the deep speed to attack off coverage, force corners to open their hips early or win down the field on slot fades and vertical routes. That's a loaded combination for defenses to face from an inside receiver.
It would be awesome if he could go some where with offensive creativity, easy wr1. Other hand, he creates a mismatch no matter where he plays so he's sort of stupid-coach-proof.

It would be awesome if he could go some where with offensive creativity, easy wr1. Other hand, he creates a mismatch no matter where he plays so he's sort of stupid-coach-proof.
The hype following this guy is now huge. I think people tend to love people who are undersized and come from out of nowhere do so well against top competition. Something about it is edifying, so I hope he has a good, long career in the NFL.  

I didn't write what you quoted, by the way, it's from the article. (Don't want to be accused of either passing off or plagiarism.)

Yeah, I agree with that totally, but the knock on him is press coverage, small hands, and dropping balls. 

I personally loved watching the guy again, as you might have noted from the Jets thread. 
The one major weakness is contested catch situations. I just don't think that will ever be part of his game- he will need separation.

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller compared UMass WR Andy Isabella to San Francisco 49ers WR Marquise Goodwin.

"Isabella has the same quickness to destroy teams underneath and work intermediate areas," Miller writes. The analyst would like to see the 5-foot-9, 188-pounder add a little functional bulk for the pro level, but does not believe that he will be physically overwhelmed even at his current weight. Miller hits up Isabella with a fourth-round grade for later this month.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 4, 2019, 7:13 PM

Yeah, I agree with that totally, but the knock on him is press coverage, small hands, and dropping balls. 

I personally loved watching the guy again, as you might have noted from the Jets thread. 
Not saying he is going to be Tyreek Hill, but from Hills draft profile:

Not very tough as a runner. Willing to go quietly into the turf once defender starts to make contact. Hands get shaky when headed into the middle of the field.

The guy has all the speed he needs for football,  I expect to see a productive player with that....wow...factor.

Dr. Dan said:
Not saying he is going to be Tyreek Hill, but from Hills draft profile:

Not very tough as a runner. Willing to go quietly into the turf once defender starts to make contact. Hands get shaky when headed into the middle of the field.
This is a common misconception of a bad thing.  Personally I see it as smart, preserve the body, don't take the big hit, get up and do it again.  Fitzgerald has done this for YEARS and he doesn't get knocked even as a bigger guy.  I think it's even more important for smaller WR's or RB's.  Depends on the tackle or situation sure, but smart players know when to give up fighting for extra yards.  

This is a common misconception of a bad thing.  Personally I see it as smart, preserve the body, don't take the big hit, get up and do it again.  Fitzgerald has done this for YEARS and he doesn't get knocked even as a bigger guy.  I think it's even more important for smaller WR's or RB's.  Depends on the tackle or situation sure, but smart players know when to give up fighting for extra yards.  
Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne did this constantly during their time with Manning, and were almost never injured.

I see shades of cooper kupp- and no it’s not because he’s white. He looks the part, yet could be had in the early 2nd. 

Pro Football Focus ranks UMass WR Andy Isabella as their No. 30 overall prospect.

Isabella (5'9/188) earned that spot after posting a 102-1,698-13 receiving line last year, good enough to be PFF's highest-graded receiver in the country. There are obvious concerns over his size and how he'll transition from UMass to the NFL, but his 4.31 speed should make him a deep threat immediately.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

Apr 5, 2019, 7:41 PM

The fastest white receivers in NFL history.

Don Hutson a 9.7 when the WR was a 9.4.

John Roderick a converted RB out of SMU and a legit 9.3, but......he sucked.

Lance Alworh a 9.6 guy at Arkanasas also a converted RB. Probably the greatest white receiver, can be debated. (Hutson for one)

Roger Carr and Don Maynard had some serious jets.

That really is about it.

UMass WR Andy Isabella led all draft-eligible wide receivers in yards per route run.

Isabella (5'9/188) averaged 4.15 yards per route run on a whopping 409 snaps. This was 0.01 higher than Missouri WR Emmanuel Hall and 0.59 higher than Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown. Isabella has seen his stock skyrocket throughout the draft process. After a strong showing at the Senior Bowl, he ran a 4.31 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine. The biggest question is how he'll be able to hold up playing on the outside while being such a small receiver. A lot of Isabella's production came on the outside during college as he used his track speed to "win." He showed he's fast enough to outpace plenty of NFL cornerbacks wherever he lines up and should be taken seriously as a Day 2 prospect.

Apr 6, 2019, 10:27 AM

If put in the right situation, this kid is going to  be the second coming of Tommy McDonald,  a little guy just too quick.

I'm only excited if he lands in  KC, New Orleans or maybe Green Bay.
Why? I think he could be interesting in New England, Detroit, Philly, Washington...lots of places really. Most rookie WRs don't make a huge splash year 1 and I would expect Isabella to have a year or 2 of development. 

Users who are viewing this thread