What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (3 Viewers)

I agree, which is why I said at the moment. Even so, so much has transpired since any of these alleged incidents happened that it would be very difficult to build a case around. Maybe she has more to bring to the table to prove her case. But as discussed many pages ago, a more traditional approach would have been to file a police report, get a rape kit, open a case, and have the police investigate . . . all at the time of the incident. I understand that people report when they report and it may not be right after an incident. But it makes it harder to prove a year or two after the fact.
A more suggested approach would.  A more traditional approach would be to never speak of it to anyone.

See post immediately below this one.  Not saying its just a money issue.  Strike while the crazy iron is hot, IMO.
Do you know anyone who has been the victim of sexual assault/rape?  There is no "normal" timetable for how/when they move forward in an effort to get justice.  Perhaps she has been going to therapy since the alleged events transpired & she has just found herself in a position where she can go public.  I don't know if that's the case, but it makes way more sense than your argument(s).  The ridiculous behavior in 2017 and the money had then wasn't enough to go forward with this "cash grab?"  The ridiculous ehavior in 2018 and the money he had then wasn't enough?  The ridiculous behavior this summer and the money he had guaranteed from Oak wasn't enough?

The only thing that changed is the suit was filed.  Then you just selectively cherry-picked which data point you wanted to use as your "proof."

What a day and age we live in. #### happens and in 24 hours it's completely f'd out beyond belief with terrible new coverage and articles. It's sad. 

But we have a president who likes to talk about grabbing women by their p u ss y so I dont know why im surprised by any of this #### these days. 

She went to her church and spoke up   She was given guidance by what I will refer to as law enforcement and/or judicial type folks   

U guys wanna think about reading up on this a bit more?   Wasting a lot of messages here it seems
Seeking counsel and guidance from a church leader or pastor is not the same as going to the authorities. That same person (who is said to know how things work) apparently told her to go to an attorney instead of the police. As far as we know, the police (as of now) have not been contacted or involved. Based on what has been reported, it appears none of her 3 instances of sexual misconduct were reported to the police at the time they occurred. That being said, there may be more developments that come out that may indicate differently . . . but for now that's what we have to go on.

Might as well post the article I was talking about since I've been chirping so much:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_d35872e8-d43b-11e9-8fb3-e71d8bfae8a1.html

The part that stood out to me. Their relationship seems complicated:

The newspaper, later in the article, addresses the anonymity issue:
The part you're highlighting is directly from the lawsuit.  Basically, she says while she was training him he lost his grip on life and ended up having everyone who works for him quit.  Which fits with roughly everything we know about Brown for the last year or so. 

So when she'd come into town for training she would do everything to try to get him back on track before heading back to Memphis.

Gotcha. Seems credible if there's texts. Just wondering, the timing is so ####### suspicious, but if it's true and backed up accordingly, I hope he goes to ####### jail. 
For me, the texts are not very damning.  There seems to be some indication that he did ejaculate on her back, but it also suggests she and her mother are only doing this as a cash grab.  It's incredibly difficult to comprehend AB-speak in the texts, but that's what I got out of it.

Can I get a link on this? I don't doubt you nor do I have a side but the media #### coming out right now is all over the place and I'm trying to get this under wraps. 
It's in the New Orleans Advocate link I just posted:

She said she decided to retain legal counsel after seeking guidance with a leader at her church who is also a former assistant district attorney and sex crimes prosecutor.

Seeking counsel and guidance from a church leader or pastor is not the same as going to the authorities. That same person (who is said to know how things work) apparently told her to go to an attorney instead of the police. As far as we know, the police (as of now) have not been contacted or involved. Based on what has been reported, it appears none of her 3 instances of sexual misconduct were reported to the police at the time they occurred. That being said, there may be more developments that come out that may indicate differently . . . but for now that's what we have to go on.
Yeah , I'm not a religious guy. Speaking at a church is the same as speaking to a Walmart Ladies Clothing section employee to me. I couldn't care less. Let's get these facts out .

Can I get a link on this? I don't doubt you nor do I have a side but the media #### coming out right now is all over the place and I'm trying to get this under wraps. 
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_d35872e8-d43b-11e9-8fb3-e71d8bfae8a1.html

She said she decided to retain legal counsel after seeking guidance with a leader at her church who is also a former assistant district attorney and sex crimes prosecutor. She said she took a polygraph test that confirmed her account as truthful.

I have to think that if AB were a Jet that Anarchy wouldnt be going to such great lengths to defend him or proclaim his innocence 
I'm not saying he's innocent. I don't even want him on the Patriots.I think the guy is a total whack job.

In terms of procedure and protocol, the league should wait to see if Brown actually did anything before making him unable to play. For now they are allegations. I don't know what happened or didn't happen anymore than any one of else posting about it.

Here's the problem. It doesn't sound like the police were ever contacted. AB is not even being investigated by law enforcement and this stuff is a year or two old.  He can't be found guilty of anything . . . there is no formal complaint and he is not even under investigation. Even if he lost the civil suit, he has not been charged with a crime and would not have a record. He would have a judgment against him in civil court which would not be held against him as a criminal decision. The league might not care about any of that, but by legal definition, at the moment Brown has to be considered legally innocent . . . no charges have been pursued or filed.
Going through the criminal process is not a prerequisite for pursuing a case civilly.  It's her call.

For me, the texts are not very damning.  There seems to be some indication that he did ejaculate on her back, but it also suggests she and her mother are only doing this as a cash grab.  It's incredibly difficult to comprehend AB-speak in the texts, but that's what I got out of it.
I believe the texts/emails (whichever they are) come very close to confessing to sexual assault/battery (depending on the state's law) but do so accidentally by portraying it as it being a funny joke he played by ejaculating on her back.  

For now they are allegations.
Trying to remember if Adrian Peterson was commisioner-listed in 2014 before or after pictures of his son's welted legs came out.

I do remember that with Ray Rice, nothing happened at all until the video was released. Same with Kareem Hunt.

I'm not saying he's innocent. I don't even want him on the Patriots.I think the guy is a total whack job.

In terms of procedure and protocol, the league should wait to see if Brown actually did anything before making him unable to play. For now they are allegations. I don't know what happened or didn't happen anymore than any one of else posting about it.
Yeah, I think there are other things than homerism at work. It really does set bad precedent, but the whole personal conduct policy is completely problematic, people have been saying so for years, and it has never been addressed because of labor law.

So what to do, then? The precedent has been set that no legal recourse or procedure other than that which is "arbitrary and capricious" under the CBA must be adhered to. The league can essentially willy-nilly do what it wants according to the First or Second Circuit, IIRC.

Going through the criminal process is not a prerequisite for pursuing a case civilly.  It's her call.
I get that. But a civil case does not determine if someone is guilty or innocent. They are found liable or not liable. A juror will be asked if Brown's actions led to her feelings of depression and anxiety. They don't have to prove a crime was committed. They just have to show that somehow he should be held responsible.

Nassar involved impressionable teens/young women trying to get to the pinnacle of their sport.  This Taylor woman doesn't exactly fit that profile.

I mean, on one occasion, she willingly met Brown and his buddies at a strip club.  Arrived by herself but then ended up back at Brown's place.  Most likely just looking to review some training exercises they were working on.  She knew what she was doing and, most likely, pissed that he never gave her $1.6M for some bogus investment so...here we are.
I said that I wasn't saying Brown was an abuser like Nasser, I was justing making the point that abusers in a lot of situations know how to get the abused parties to do things that don't seem like very common sense things to do. 

And to the bolded, I am very impressed that you have superpowers to know what she knows and what her motivations were. It must be nice to be omniscient.

I don't know if that's true or not, but I appreciate the sentiment.

I have a very similar case in my somewhat recent professional history and am trying to remain objective.
I think it's true. Was waiting for your comments on this, actually. It went from a he-said/she-said debate and hashing out into something a little better. Use Poe's Law on that, HF. 

I get that. But a civil case does not determine if someone is guilty or innocent. They are found liable or not liable. A juror will be asked if Brown's actions led to her feelings of depression and anxiety. They don't have to prove a crime was committed. They just have to show that somehow he should be held responsible.
So you think she should want to punish his wife and kids by sticking him in jail and/or probation    Should not show interest in compensation that appears needed??

Not speaking for Anarchy:

There are observers who will find her account markedly less credible because she apparently never contacted police.

Question raised on another board: A lawyer wrote that she could have contacted police a long time ago and if circumstances were just so (how? dunno) ... the police may have been investigating him for the past year plus with no public disclosure. Even now ... basically, that the fact that a long investigation into these allegations has been taking place could just suddenly come out now. Or next week. Or later than that. Out of left field. Sound plausible?

Just thinking out loud but  if he did indeed do this there must be  other victims out there
I would imagine that's true.  It's not necessary, but it's likely.  Those victims will also likely be hesitant to come forward, especially if there is nothing good that can come of it for them.

There are observers who will find her account markedly less credible because she apparently never contacted police.

Question raised on another board: A lawyer wrote that she could have contacted police a long time ago and if circumstances were just so (how? dunno) ... the police may have been investigating him for the past year plus with no public disclosure. Even now ... basically, that the fact that a long investigation into these allegations has been taking place could just suddenly come out now. Or next week. Or later than that. Out of left field. Sound plausible?
Very.  But also plausible that she doesn't want him put in prison for this and never reported it, like many victims of sexual violence who knew their attackers.

A civil suit still requires proof of a wrongful act (battery, rape, etc) before you get to the damages part.  The standard of proof (preponderence of the evidence) is much lower than a criminal case (beyond a reasonable doubt).  In criminal cases where the only witnesses are the victim and Defendant, the deck is stacked against the victim so one can understand why they wouldn't pursue a criminal case.  

I would imagine that's true.  It's not necessary, but it's likely.  Those victims will also likely be hesitant to come forward, especially if there is nothing good that can come of it for them.
I have to disagree   The man took steps before the actual act of rape  Maybe some form of acceptance achieved and/or plausible   I would imagine that yes maybe a reporter could have been flashed    Not so much that he would have a history of rape    Belief being they both had acquired feelings at least through time   

IMO, one would think to strengthen her case, she would have cited or attached her police reports and complaints to her civil suit as further evidence or support of her allegations. The inference in not referencing any interaction with law enforcement is that there wasn't any. Again, her case would have been that much stronger had she gone to the police and they launched an investigation. All of that does nothing to prove or disprove her allegations . . . only that it likely would have helped.

I have to disagree   The man took steps before the actual act of rape  Maybe some form of acceptance achieved and/or plausible   I would imagine that yes maybe a reporter could have been flashed    Not so much that he would have a history of rape    Belief being they both had acquired feelings at least through time   
He's been accused of violence against women before.  If he did this, I find it less likely that someone with his level of fame and money for a number of years would suddenly rape a woman for the first time at age 31 than that he's done it before.

IMO, one would think to strengthen her case, she would have cited or attached her police reports and complaints to her civil suit as further evidence or support of her allegations. The inference in not referencing any interaction with law enforcement is that there wasn't any. Again, her case would have been that much stronger had she gone to the police and they launched an investigation. All of that does nothing to prove or disprove her allegations . . . only that it likely would have helped.
While some lawyers do this, it isn't a usual or recommended practice to attach evidence to a Complaint.

Edit: I would expect that it would be noted in the timeline in the Complaint.

Last edited by a moderator:
A civil suit still requires proof of a wrongful act (battery, rape, etc) before you get to the damages part.  The standard of proof (preponderence of the evidence) is much lower than a criminal case (beyond a reasonable doubt).  In criminal cases where the only witnesses are the victim and Defendant, the deck is stacked against the victim so one can understand why they wouldn't pursue a criminal case.  
I have seen several places that the exit strategy for AB should have been to just cut her a check and settle BEFORE the case was filed. The next best thing would be to cut her a check to buy her silence and compel her to drop the case. That's the big issue for me here . . . that she apparently asked for money and didn't get it, filed a lawsuit to get money, and the best out for Brown is to give her money. The common denominator there is money. In a criminal setting, it's not just about the money.

While some lawyers do this, it isn't a usual or recommended practice to attach evidence to a Complaint.
She attached texts or emails . . . which to me was an attempt to win the court of popular opinion. The same thing could have happened with attached police reports or complaints. Probably a better legal strategy would have been just to reference that her incidents were reported to the authorities and leave it at that.

I have seen several places that the exit strategy for AB should have been to just cut her a check and settle BEFORE the case was filed. The next best thing would be to cut her a check to buy her silence and compel her to drop the case. That's the big issue for me here . . . that she apparently asked for money and didn't get it, filed a lawsuit to get money, and the best out for Brown is to give her money. The common denominator there is money. In a criminal setting, it's not just about the money.
But that's how settlements work.  The civil system can't order her to be un-raped.  And she may not want him in prison, for a variety of reasons.

It's a hard sell to have someone put a person she has known a long time in prison.  It's not something most people want to do.  Whether that's a family member who has stolen from them, an old friend who groped them while drunk, etc.  This is an extreme case, but it isn't a massive variance from normal actions by a plaintiff from what I've seen.

That's an interesting perspective from someone who appears to be using Brown's agent/media lawyer's press release as the basis for what he believes happened.
No, I’m reading in to the fact that Taylor tried to get Brown to invest in her business at 1.5 million in the past unsuccessfully. Do you think that’s something that doesn’t matter?

She attached texts or emails . . . which to me was an attempt to win the court of popular opinion. The same thing could have happened with attached police reports or complaints. Probably a better legal strategy would have been just to reference that her incidents were reported to the authorities and leave it at that.
Yeah, those are embedded images and not entirely the same thing as an attachment, but I understand what you mean and wasn't thinking along those lines.  It's definitely a shot at the defense to make them understand this isn't baseless.  And, again, it's something some lawyers do and some don't.

Very.  But also plausible that she doesn't want him put in prison for this and never reported it, like many victims of sexual violence who knew their attackers.
I don't know if there is a legal argument to make on something like this, but if she put up with his behavior and this incidents occurred multiple time over a year or two or more, bu extension I would argue that she didn't consider them egregious acts as she kept in contact with AB. IMO, that's essentially indicating that she did not fin he did so outrageous and criminal as she did not go the police and she kept seeing him. It's almost like she gave him indirect permission that his actions were permitted.

What was it you wanted me to keep you updated on? Im so confused. 
Confusion is somewhat mutual   Believe we both started to take away from the conversation w overly personal views which may hinder others  

fwiw I respect many religions   Not so with folks who believe two rocks rubbed together   This story allegedly involves two "Christians"   I'm not sure why any personal beliefs would play much of a roll in understanding and/or showing any enlighteners if you will   

I don't know if there is a legal argument to make on something like this, but if she put up with his behavior and this incidents occurred multiple time over a year or two or more, bu extension I would argue that she didn't consider them egregious acts as she kept in contact with AB. IMO, that's essentially indicating that she did not fin he did so outrageous and criminal as she did not go the police and she kept seeing him. It's almost like she gave him indirect permission that his actions were permitted.
It's not a legal argument so much as the internal and conversational argument a rapist or other abuser gives while justifying what he's doing to a woman.

Users who are viewing this thread