What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (2 Viewers)

Bye. May he never touch a field again.

May the world never forget Bill wanted to look the other way and did so after he concocted a get away scheme for said player then let him play for a week even after the reports were out.
and the Seahawks and Browns too.  Three awful morally corrupt organizations.  For shame.

I don't believe Eli is HOF worthy . . . so you either typed it wrong or have me confused with someone else. I said he'll make although he is pretty undeserving.
I read of few of your posts supporting Eli's induction. I was obviously just making a joke. Point is, you're a good man. I wouldn't have ever left my daughter in that position in the first place but I would have thanked you profusely. 

End of hijack. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking another side bar, part of the problem is once momentum starts gaining full steam, accusations turn into rumors, rumors turn into gossip, gossip suddenly becomes fact, and then there is a mob mentality.

Here's an example. I've coached multiple youth sports for 15 or 20 years. One year I coached our son's baseball team and we had a Friday evening practice. My son had something else going on and was out of town, but I still held the practice. There was a girl on the team that had just turned 13 and was new in town. Practice ended but no one picked her up. Her parents had just gotten divorced and I called each of them and no one answered. We sat like two bumps on a log and waited for an hour at the field. It was pitch back in a remote location, and obviously I was not going to leave her alone. We drove to her house, which was locked up solid. I tried calling the parents again to no avail. I tried checking to see if any neighbors were around. No luck there either. I tried calling the head of the baseball program and the head of the youth sports program. No one answered those calls and left messages.

Not having any other avenues, I took her home. I had pizza delivered, plunked her down on my couch and let her hang out and watch TV. Unfortunately, we were the only ones there. Two hours later the mom called asking what was going on. She got mad . . . at her ex-husband . . . because she said it was his weekend to have her. He called a little while later and said actually, it was mom's weekend. I indicated to both of them that I am not a babysitter, and someone needed to come get her. But no one did right away, and when I called them both back, neither one answered.

Mom apparently was on a date and finally got home and checked her voicemail and found out her daughter was still with me. The father was out of town and out of state. Obviously he wasn't going to get the girl. Finally the mom showed up at my house after 1 AM to collect her daughter and then went ballistic at me that I had been home alone with her for hours.

Of course, the next day the mother did a deep dive on me on-line and found reference to my ongoing court issues including allegations that I abused my kids. She immediately went to the youth association demanding that I never coach anything again and that I had been alone with her daughter for hours. Of course she brought up the other allegations and threatened to sue them.

Clearly I did not harm her daughter in any way (and the daughter supported that, saying that I fed her and entertained her while waiting for someone to get her). Yet I got no thanks for feeding her and watching her for over 6 hours. Somehow in all of that, people tried to play me out as the bad guy. I ended up being allowed to continue on as a coach, but when the board voted people actually voted against me being allowed to remain as coach. 
I’m sorry you went thru this. Have you shared this before? 

I woulda dropped that kid off at the police station but only because of how the mom would act which she did.

Really is a shame...this guy could have been a Pittsburgh legend for the rest of his life and he just went off the rails....

And I'm not even talking about all the legal troubles that have just popped up

@AdamSchefter

NFL now can conduct its investigation of Antonio Brown without any time pressure. It's hard to imagine another team would attempt to get in the way of that. So Brown's NFL career is on pause and possibly could even be over.

They are still gonna owe it to him though.  That's the guaranteed part and they didn't take any action like suspend/fine him that would void them.
Probably all depends on exactly how "guaranteed" that money actually was. Was there a behavior clause that could nullify the guarantee? Was it only guaranteed for performance or injury? 

If it was fully guaranteed then I think they not only owe it to him but it counts against their cap this year.

If the guarantee had an out for behavior, my guess is there is going to be a lawsuit over whether it qualified as behavior poor enough to cut him.

But it wouldn't surprise me if it was fully guaranteed and Kraft/the Patriots just ate it to not deal with the headache, in which case the Patriots were not only not geniuses signing him, they were outright foolish and incompetent in this particular case.

I’m sorry you went thru this. Have you shared this before? 

I woulda dropped that kid off at the police station but only because of how the mom would act which she did.
I probably posted about it on here at some point. Others have suggested that I should have dropped her with the police, but honestly that never entered my mind. Never even thought of it. I also never put two and two together that the mom would be uber upset with me, but I didn't really have a lot of options. I probably should have gone to a public place like McDonald's to wait, but even then we would have had to go someplace else as they would have closed. No great solutions presented themselves in the moment, unfortunately.

@RosenhausSports

It's unfortunate things didn't work out with the Patriots. But Antonio is healthy and is looking forward to his next opportunity in the NFL. He wants to play the game he loves and he hopes to play for another team soon.

ok, drew.

@TomPelissero

The #Patriots gave Antonio Brown a $9M signing bonus on his 1-year deal — but it wasn’t all due at signing, and there’s usually forfeiture language. As one NFL exec told me: “I don’t think he has any money yet so at least they can hold it while they fight about it.”

Probably all depends on exactly how "guaranteed" that money actually was. Was there a behavior clause that could nullify the guarantee? Was it only guaranteed for performance or injury? 

If it was fully guaranteed then I think they not only owe it to him but it counts against their cap this year.

If the guarantee had an out for behavior, my guess is there is going to be a lawsuit over whether it qualified as behavior poor enough to cut him.

But it wouldn't surprise me if it was fully guaranteed and Kraft/the Patriots just ate it to not deal with the headache, in which case the Patriots were not only not geniuses signing him, they were outright foolish and incompetent in this particular case.
He was due his roughly half his bonus money on Monday. The other half was due in January. They had clauses in the contract that his behavior would nullify the bonus money. I believe he got $58,000 for his one game played. The rest he'll never see. Rosenhaus could try to get the NFLPA involved, but I am not sure how far that would get him.

That's what I thought when he got dropped by Oakland. Who knows? There's no penalty to waiting 30 hours.
After Oakland - he was a PIA.  Teams like New England will take a chance on a cheap, talented PIA.

Now he is still a PIA - but he has a sexual assault stench about him.  He won't be able to clear that up this season - even if he settles to make it go away.

There is some harm to keeping him - if there is a player available who might actually play for your team this year.  Wait until next week, and you might lose that player to another team.

Depends if Brown took " any action that materially undermines the public's respect for, or is materially critical of, the Club, the Player's teammates or the Club's ownership, coaches."  If so, he has no guarantee.

He’s a fantasy drop now, right?
Unless someone great is still there after waivers (or maybe you want to take a chance on Dorsett if he's out there), you might as well wait, see, and probably drop him for someone with a little more info on the situations around the league.

But yeah, with all the character issues Pats players have had in the past, just plain dropping him makes the obvious conclusion that New England believes Brown's going to be exempt and are cutting bait while they can.

@AdamSchefter

NFL now can conduct its investigation of Antonio Brown without any time pressure. It's hard to imagine another team would attempt to get in the way of that. So Brown's NFL career is on pause and possibly could even be over.
Now Roger can put him on the exempt list and no one will want to touch him.

Unless someone great is still there after waivers (or maybe you want to take a chance on Dorsett if he's out there), you might as well wait, see, and probably drop him for someone with a little more info on the situations around the league.

But yeah, with all the character issues Pats players have had in the past, just plain dropping him makes the obvious conclusion that (New England believes) Brown's going to be exempt and are cutting bait while they can.
Dorsett was scooped up before I could make a move. Drop Brown for DK Metcalf?

So they employed a murderer and now it appears most likely a sexual predator. 

They have been a part of many scandals as a franchise.

Their owner loves rub and tugs.

Can we stop with what they call the "Patriot way" now?
The whole "Patriot way" thing will cease to exist once Brady retires. That's how the entire thing keeps working. 

I'm about as far from a pats fan as I think I could be, but damn some of you guys are so freaking weird about them on this site.

The whole "Patriot way" thing will cease to exist once Brady retires. That's how the entire thing keeps working. 
The Patriot Way thing was propaganda all along. When Brady retires, if BB is still around they will still be an excellent team. He will have a suitable replacement for low dollars that will be cool under pressure and not make dumb mistakes. The rest of the team will still be well coached and they will max out their use of the cap. They may not get 13 wins and a title, but they should be able to get 11 wins and see how the new guy does in the post season. At that point, who knows how someone else would do in playoff crunch time. One would guess not as well as Brady. But I don't see them with only 5 or 6 wins if BB is head coach.

So how much does he actually end up getting paid for this
For the 4th time . . . I believe he received $58,000. I do not believe he was paid any of his guaranteed bonus money as of yet, and NE certainly isn't going to pay it. The burden will be on Brown to demand it, and the way things played out I'm not sure a lot of people will be in AB's corner.

For the 4th time . . . I believe he received $58,000. I do not believe he was paid any of his guaranteed bonus money as of yet, and NE certainly isn't going to pay it. The burden will be on Brown to demand it, and the way things played out I'm not sure a lot of people will be in AB's corner.
I'd be surprised if Antonio isn't getting most, if not all, of his guaranteed money.  His tweet announcing the release was way too appreciative.  It would have been a very different tone if he only made $58k this year.

The Patriot Way thing was propaganda all along. When Brady retires, if BB is still around they will still be an excellent team. He will have a suitable replacement for low dollars that will be cool under pressure and not make dumb mistakes. The rest of the team will still be well coached and they will max out their use of the cap. They may not get 13 wins and a title, but they should be able to get 11 wins and see how the new guy does in the post season. At that point, who knows how someone else would do in playoff crunch time. One would guess not as well as Brady. But I don't see them with only 5 or 6 wins if BB is head coach.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_New_England_Patriots_season

@AdamSchefter

Far easier for the league to announce that there is an investigation, without actually starting one.  This will signal to all 32 teams that he is verboten until/if cleared by the non-existent investigation.

Users who are viewing this thread