What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (14 Viewers)

There is only 1 team possibly left that would take a chance on Brown, a team and owner desperate to win another Superbowl.

Hello AB, this is Jerry Jones lets meet and see if we can make you a Cowboy.

AB has million dollar expenses. He doesn’t seem to me, I could be wrong, the type to save for times like this. With the endorsement loses and everything else, he is going to have a hard time living like he has over the last few years. His bills arn’t like most of ours, they are thousands over thousands. If not signed and with how he “talks” what the hell is he going to do next to pay the bills. What can he do other then catch footballs. Guy is in trouble and should start downsizing everything around him. 

There is only 1 team possibly left that would take a chance on Brown, a team and owner desperate to win another Superbowl.

Hello AB, this is Jerry Jones lets meet and see if we can make you a Cowboy.
Don't forget the Redskins.  The worse owner, and organization, in all of professional sports.  Because, well, Redskins.

this saga really is ####### amazing.  the past 9 months... good lord
It's 8:08 here on a Friday night and I just heard some karaoke singer in my head sing Led Zep's "Stairway To Heaven". You know, the part where it breaks down and he goes "...it makes you wonder. Whoa-oa-oh. Yeah-yeah."

It does make you wonder, doesn't it?

So it appears that Antonio Brown went through a great deal or work, trouble and expense to deprive himself of $30 million and the rest of his career. Pretty amazing really.
Some claim that Brown's behavior is evidence of CTE.  Soon, some of the brain pathology of CTE might be detected during life with a PET scan that measues a protein known as tau. But it's early in the research and studies with larger cohorts followed for longer periods need to be done. 

It's 8:08 here on a Friday night and I just heard some karaoke singer in my head sing Led Zep's "Stairway To Heaven". You know, the part where it breaks down and he goes "...it makes you wonder. Whoa-oa-oh. Yeah-yeah."

It does make you wonder, doesn't it?
Definitely seems like a communication breakdown somewhere for brown...

Someone will sign him if he doesn’t get suspended is my guess.  The usual suspects have been listed, Dallas would be a great spot.  I wouldn’t sell for cheap in dynasty and if you can get him for next to nothing I’d do it.  

Is this the beginning of a nasty downward spiral for AB? Dude has/had it all, money, fame, etc. etc. but certainly has issues that need to be addressed.

Hoping he can get the help he needs...

Taking another side bar, part of the problem is once momentum starts gaining full steam, accusations turn into rumors, rumors turn into gossip, gossip suddenly becomes fact, and then there is a mob mentality.

Here's an example. I've coached multiple youth sports for 15 or 20 years. One year I coached our son's baseball team and we had a Friday evening practice. My son had something else going on and was out of town, but I still held the practice. There was a girl on the team that had just turned 13 and was new in town. Practice ended but no one picked her up. Her parents had just gotten divorced and I called each of them and no one answered. We sat like two bumps on a log and waited for an hour at the field. It was pitch back in a remote location, and obviously I was not going to leave her alone. We drove to her house, which was locked up solid. I tried calling the parents again to no avail. I tried checking to see if any neighbors were around. No luck there either. I tried calling the head of the baseball program and the head of the youth sports program. No one answered those calls and left messages.

Not having any other avenues, I took her home. I had pizza delivered, plunked her down on my couch and let her hang out and watch TV. Unfortunately, we were the only ones there. Two hours later the mom called asking what was going on. She got mad . . . at her ex-husband . . . because she said it was his weekend to have her. He called a little while later and said actually, it was mom's weekend. I indicated to both of them that I am not a babysitter, and someone needed to come get her. But no one did right away, and when I called them both back, neither one answered.

Mom apparently was on a date and finally got home and checked her voicemail and found out her daughter was still with me. The father was out of town and out of state. Obviously he wasn't going to get the girl. Finally the mom showed up at my house after 1 AM to collect her daughter and then went ballistic at me that I had been home alone with her for hours.

Of course, the next day the mother did a deep dive on me on-line and found reference to my ongoing court issues including allegations that I abused my kids. She immediately went to the youth association demanding that I never coach anything again and that I had been alone with her daughter for hours. Of course she brought up the other allegations and threatened to sue them.

Clearly I did not harm her daughter in any way (and the daughter supported that, saying that I fed her and entertained her while waiting for someone to get her). Yet I got no thanks for feeding her and watching her for over 6 hours. Somehow in all of that, people tried to play me out as the bad guy. I ended up being allowed to continue on as a coach, but when the board voted people actually voted against me being allowed to remain as coach. 
You tell good stories, real or not my sympathy ends when people make poor decisions. Like above. 

The optics there are bad.  The NFL did nothing about it when he was on the Patriots, but now they are basically telling all of the other teams that if they sign him, they will probably put him on the exempt list.  
People are funny.

After the kangaroo court that was "Deflategate", when Bob Kraft said "I was wrong to trust the league" and basically spit in the face of Roger Goodell and NFL ownership at large, and yet we are still supposed to accept the notion that the Patriots are the golden child.  What a crock of ####.

y'all can FOH with your FAUX righteous indignation.

See what I did there?

Good evening.

Someone will sign him if he doesn’t get suspended is my guess.  The usual suspects have been listed, Dallas would be a great spot.  I wouldn’t sell for cheap in dynasty and if you can get him for next to nothing I’d do it.  
Unless you get points for Canadian Football League stats, you are probably wasting a roster spot.  

Field Yates

If Antonio Brown does not wind up receiving his $9M signing bonus from the Patriots (the first $5M was due to be paid on Monday), he will go from a $30M guarantee in March to $9M guaranteed to just $158,333 made for 2019
This is indicative of sociopathy, other serious mental illness, or the like. If we ever find out he has CTE, I might actually begin to feel a little sorry for him.

AB has million dollar expenses. He doesn’t seem to me, I could be wrong, the type to save for times like this. With the endorsement loses and everything else, he is going to have a hard time living like he has over the last few years. His bills arn’t like most of ours, they are thousands over thousands. If not signed and with how he “talks” what the hell is he going to do next to pay the bills. What can he do other then catch footballs. Guy is in trouble and should start downsizing everything around him. 
Antonio Brown doesn’t pay his bills so he should still have plenty of money left in the bank. The problem will come now that everyone is suing him.

I will say that the events of the last 72 hours completely exonerate the Patriots against any claim they colluded with Antonio Brown to act nuts just to get out of Oakland and over to them.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. AB may have been playing everyone all along thinking he's the smartest guy in the room and with his superstar stature, can just make it all go away by playing football. However, he made a series of costly blunders that just about anyone could have seen coming. The gig is up. That's what leads me to the conclusion that this guy is delusional and out of touch with reality. You make these types of decisions only if you think you are invincible and or living in a fantasy world. This reeks of illness.

He seems pretty rational. I’m sure he’s already thought about all of this.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. AB may have been playing everyone all along thinking he's the smartest guy in the room and with his superstar stature, can just make it all go away by playing football. However, he made a series of costly blunders that just about anyone could have seen coming. The gig is up. That's what leads me to the conclusion that this guy is delusional and out of touch with reality. You make these types of decisions only if you think you are invincible and or living in a fantasy world. This reeks of illness.
I am fascinated by the oppressed underdog, "no one believed in me" mythos he has built around himself. As a sort of mental locker room bulletin board material, it may well be responsible for his success but once the success and money came, it became this paradox that got harder and harder to rationalize. The challenge of self-actualization versus selfishness claims another victim.

After exploring various reports, a couple things seemed to have happened. One, NE apparently was willing to tolerate whatever happened with Brown before he got to NE. He was brought on essentially with two strikes and was told he was on the shortest of leashes. 

Texting the woman with pictures of her children was the last straw for Kraft, who wanted AB gone. It was the first thing that happened under their watch. He practiced yesterday while the team sought verification that he sent the text. Once they seemingly confirmed that, he was on his way out. 

Also, some on the team were not thrilled that they brought AB in in the first place. Some players loved it. Others tolerated it. A few hated it. Most put on a happy face and did what they were told. 

BB appears to have been less adamant about cutting Brown but was convinced by Kraft and the general feelings about him in the locker room. 

NE seems pretty confident that they will not have to pay out the remainder of Brown’s salary for the season. I was not aware that players get paid on Wednesdays and Brown was on the roster for three of them, meaning he got paid for three weeks even though he only played in one game. 

They also feel strongly that by failing to disclose the civil suit that that will get them off the hook in terms of the $9 million guaranteed money (of which he has not received any of it). I am curious if NE worked with the league and the NFLPA to seek clarification on that issue before cutting him. 

It’s probably safe to say that Brown is toxic until the league finishes investigating him. If he somehow comes out unscathed, a team in the hunt late in the season might try to bring him in for a playoff push, but who knows what else will come out before then. He’s probably done for this season.

Cleary we are a long way from done in terms of this whole mess. It would not shock me if the typical remedies pop up. Off his meds, on something but now in rehab, etc. I wouldn’t rule out AB suing the league for CTE. Literally place your bets on where this goes from here. 

They also feel strongly that by failing to disclose the civil suit that that will get them off the hook in terms of the $9 million guaranteed money (of which he has not received any of it). I am curious if NE worked with the league and the NFLPA to seek clarification on that issue before cutting him. 
Surprised to see this from you since you were beating the drum.from day 1 that he wouldnt and shouldnt go on the exempt list for a civil lawsuit. You even mentioned these can take a long time. 

Just seems contradictory. When he was on the team you were all about due process. now that hes cut you feel strongly about whatever is in the best interests of the team. 

To expand on a post you made in here the day the lawsuit broke- what is stopping anyone from filing a civil lawsuit to screw over a signing bonus for a player? What if Jacksonville is regretting paying Foles all that money. All they have to do is get someone to accuse him of wrongdoing in a civil lawsuit and they can walk away from that guarantee? 

It's a bad president to set when you let a civil lawsuit affect a signing bonus...

Why is AB public enemy number one when there’s such a track record of star atheletes being embraced after similar or worse accusations or convictions?  Kobe. Big Ben. Vick.  AP.  There are so many examples.

Dr. Dan said:
Surprised to see this from you since you were beating the drum.from day 1 that he wouldnt and shouldnt go on the exempt list for a civil lawsuit. You even mentioned these can take a long time. 

Just seems contradictory. When he was on the team you were all about due process. now that hes cut you feel strongly about whatever is in the best interests of the team. 

To expand on a post you made in here the day the lawsuit broke- what is stopping anyone from filing a civil lawsuit to screw over a signing bonus for a player? What if Jacksonville is regretting paying Foles all that money. All they have to do is get someone to accuse him of wrongdoing in a civil lawsuit and they can walk away from that guarantee? 

It's a bad president to set when you let a civil lawsuit affect a signing bonus...
I posted what the team felt / is doing. That’s not my opinion. That’s what has been reported. I didn’t make it up. That has nothing to do with me. 

We can debate anything along the way what thee team did, should have done, and when. I still feel putting him on the exempt list based on just a civil suit would be premature. At this point so much has come out after that that AB has become toxic and a PR nightmare. The league can always do what it feels is best to protect their brand. 

NE seems confident that Brown and Rosenhaus were fully aware of the situation, didn’t disclose anything, and signed a contract anyway. To them, that voids the contract. I am not an attorney, haven’t read the full contract, and have no idea what the CBA and Player Conduct requirements are. So I am not qualified to provide an informed opinion on that. 

Why is AB public enemy number one when there’s such a track record of star atheletes being embraced after similar or worse accusations or convictions?  Kobe. Big Ben. Vick.  AP.  There are so many examples.
I'm just guessing, but it looks like the continuing hostile social behavior and not disclosing details to the teams and the league. That's my guess.

I would suggest it's because this is currently still ongoing and so the recency is thrusting him into the spotlight. We don't know how things will play out in the future. At the time, Vick was public enemy number one, then things settled down a bit, but it takes time and apologies etc. Same with AP. 

Well, it’s still a process. Build up, tear down, build back up again. AB just hadn’t made it out of the tunnel yet.

He continues to double down.  He’s hurting the league’s efforts at damage control, rather than cooperating.  The NFL is all about protecting the shield.

Yes great point.  Let’s continue to support and enable bad behavior by star athletes. 

Not to mention in those cases there was some combination of punishment, apology, rehab. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of it is--as foxco said--AB is contributing to the problem on an ongoing basis through his sloppy behavior. 

I would also point out that AB has--so far--faced no real punishment, whereas both Vick and Adrian Peterson did.  In the cases of Kobe and Big Ben, the reality is they were the faces of their franchises.

Finally, while the league and teams would never admit it, part of the problem with AB seems to be genuine mental illness.  He seems to be in the midst of a manic episode.  In a situation like that, it is really hard to predict what he will do next, and it is safest to cut bait.

Because he posts memes about being a victim on social media, after being waived by the Pats.  Million dollar body, 10 cent brain.....

Roethlisberger, Vick and AP were all suspended by the league were not "embraced" until several weeks (if not months) after returning. So your comparison to AB -- who hasn't even missed a game yet -- is not valid.

Users who are viewing this thread