What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (12 Viewers)

DocHolliday said:
No.   It doesn't.  AB and the Pats had a plan to get him to NE.   Nobody, including AB, planned on the legal trouble catching up with him.  
Until last night I was completely unaware that NE reached out to Pitt to trade for Brown and was turned down because they didn’t want to trade to a rival. Everything makes so much sense in light of the big picture.

Tex

Roethlisberger, Vick and AP were all suspended by the league were not "embraced" until several weeks (if not months) after returning. So your comparison to AB -- who hasn't even missed a game yet -- is not valid.
AB also managed to mess with football, the league, locker rooms and is also alleged to be not a very good dude off the field. When you are able to be disliked across multiple demographics for multiple reasons, you truly are a special kind of "public enemy".

I posted what the team felt / is doing. That’s not my opinion. That’s what has been reported. I didn’t make it up. That has nothing to do with me. 

We can debate anything along the way what thee team did, should have done, and when. I still feel putting him on the exempt list based on just a civil suit would be premature. At this point so much has come out after that that AB has become toxic and a PR nightmare. The league can always do what it feels is best to protect their brand. 

NE seems confident that Brown and Rosenhaus were fully aware of the situation, didn’t disclose anything, and signed a contract anyway. To them, that voids the contract. I am not an attorney, haven’t read the full contract, and have no idea what the CBA and Player Conduct requirements are. So I am not qualified to provide an informed opinion on that. 
Thanks. 

I think this is spot on take for how the team saw it. Side note, this is a great example too of keeping it to football. Others I'm sure will try to take it off football and put it on you as some sort of "gotcha" that YOU were wrong. Ignore those. So much better to keep it on football.

I think you hit the big thing I've been saying that feels like it's not getting enough attention. It's one thing to bring in a guy with a troubled past. But when he does something on YOUR watch, that's different. That's what this felt like here with Brown texting the woman who accused him. 

Why is AB public enemy number one when there’s such a track record of star atheletes being embraced after similar or worse accusations or convictions?  Kobe. Big Ben. Vick.  AP.  There are so many examples.
Definitely some recency bias in the case of AB, those guys are all hated to various degrees by many as well.

They also didn't force their way off 2 teams in the span of a few months.

Just dropped him in a redraft league for Dionte Johnson. Going from a top ten guy to someone I may start as a flex sucks. 
I dropped him for Golden Tate. Initially traded Tyler Boyd for Brown before getting released by the Raiders. Now, I'm just hoping for .80 on the dollar from Boyd to Tate. Ugh.

I felt like a genius for about three days.

Why is AB public enemy number one when there’s such a track record of star atheletes being embraced after similar or worse accusations or convictions?  Kobe. Big Ben. Vick.  AP.  There are so many examples.
Some has already been mentioned, like not yet facing any visible consequences yet (he has lot a ton of future earnings, though).

An overlooked feature though is the basic sense of loyalty most fans have, and expect to be at least given lipservice to by the players.  We accept that a player goes elsewhere as a “business decision” but forcing himself off a team (two teams) and breaking the whole system of expectations surrounding a contract leaves a sour taste.

For those reasons, I doubt there were many football fans that liked AB by the time he got to NE.  So when the allegations get serious, even at the allegation stage, he doesn’t have the usual bevy of “innocent until proven guilty” defenders because everybody pretty much hates him already and kind of hopes he’ll be gone.

What would bother me most about this saga is seeing NE get off scott free. 

Yes they may not argue that they owe him beyond the three paychecks already paid (TBD obviously) but more of what I’m referring to is the calculated risk they took on someone obviously with at least professional challenges this year. 

Yes AB will pay his own price, quite possibly with his career, but it feels off to let NE off with nothing here. Play with fire and the only burn you get shouldn’t be minimal salary or to release the guy. 

If they don’t feel more of a hit, what’ll stop the next team from “damaging the brand” to sign someone good at football to only feel the pain of a partial paycheck when the other shoe drops?

nobody can say until we get some further answers on the allegations. If they are substantiated by the NFL’s investigations team he’s probably done. If not of course he’ll be signed.  

Anybody declaring an answer right now is just throwing out hot takes for clicks.  

Where is the call for AB to get a CAT scan to see what's going on in his head ? Could all this bizarre behavior be CTE related ?
Do CAT scans even reveal CTE?  I didnt think you could find it unless the brain was actually removed from the head...which in this case would not result in a dramatic cognitive decline.

Do CAT scans even reveal CTE?  I didnt think you could find it unless the brain was actually removed from the head...which in this case would not result in a dramatic cognitive decline.
They don’t. Like Alzheimer’s, you have to do a post mortem examination of the brain for definitive diagnosis 

Where is the call for AB to get a CAT scan to see what's going on in his head ? Could all this bizarre behavior be CTE related ?
I'd say it's at least a possibility.

How many concussions has AB had? Also, from what I understand, it doesn't necessarily take a concussion to promote CTE.

I'm guessing many factors contribute to it, including genetics.

What would bother me most about this saga is seeing NE get off scott free. 

Yes they may not argue that they owe him beyond the three paychecks already paid (TBD obviously) but more of what I’m referring to is the calculated risk they took on someone obviously with at least professional challenges this year. 

Yes AB will pay his own price, quite possibly with his career, but it feels off to let NE off with nothing here. Play with fire and the only burn you get shouldn’t be minimal salary or to release the guy. 

If they don’t feel more of a hit, what’ll stop the next team from “damaging the brand” to sign someone good at football to only feel the pain of a partial paycheck when the other shoe drops?
This post doesn’t make any sense to me.  NFL teams are in the business of winning football games.  NE took a calculated risk signing him, as will the next team that signs him or any player with character issues.  Seems like AB handed them a loaded gun by not disclosing the allegations / litigation, which is why his guarantee is likely gone, as well as this latest round of idiocy.  That’s on him, not NE.

Whether it is CTE or Bipolar, the league really does need to step in and make him getting help a condition to be readmitted into the league. This whole thing feels very much like the Titus Young situation a few years back. His father was convinced it was CTE but once in jail he got onto his bipolar medication and seems to be doing much better.

This post doesn’t make any sense to me.  NFL teams are in the business of winning football games.  NE took a calculated risk signing him, as will the next team that signs him or any player with character issues.  Seems like AB handed them a loaded gun by not disclosing the allegations / litigation, which is why his guarantee is likely gone, as well as this latest round of idiocy.  That’s on him, not NE.
Let me say it a different way. There’s no way they could even claim to do diligence in the few hours from release to signing. 

If they’re going to be that careless they should have to bear some side of the risk outside of a game check or two. Maybe something like this should have more affect on their 2019 cap?

Let me say it a different way. There’s no way they could even claim to do diligence in the few hours from release to signing. 

If they’re going to be that careless they should have to bear some side of the risk outside of a game check or two. Maybe something like this should have more affect on their 2019 cap?
NE split Brown’s cap hit between this year and next year. Whatever the league determines they don’t have to pay him will be credited next year. Whatever they allocated this year is frozen and counts as a cap charge for this year. Best case they end up paying him under $200K this year and get a big credit next year. Worst case they have to pay him the guarantees over this year and next year. 

Forfeiture of a first round draft pick always makes everyone feel better.

This quote in the SI article (https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/16/antonio-brown-new-england-patriots-lawsuits-accusations-sexual-midconduct-assault) perfectly describes Antonio Brown: 

Says James W. Smith III, Tedeschi’s attorney: “You’ll start to see a pattern where Antonio lures people in initially, and at first he appears to be very gregarious and appreciative of whatever service he’s seeking, and then at some point when the bill is due he creates division or confrontation in an effort to avoid having to meet his financial obligation. . . . It’s an unfortunate pattern of entitlement and narcissism.”

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: -X-
This quote in the SI article (https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/16/antonio-brown-new-england-patriots-lawsuits-accusations-sexual-midconduct-assault) perfectly describes Antonio Brown: 

Says James W. Smith III, Tedeschi’s attorney: “You’ll start to see a pattern where Antonio lures people in initially, and at first he appears to be very gregarious and appreciative of whatever service he’s seeking, and then at some point when the bill is due he creates division or confrontation in an effort to avoid having to meet his financial obligation. . . . It’s an unfortunate pattern of entitlement and narcissism.”
Crazy article!

Tex

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Redskins, Cowboys, Bengals?  Those seem like the teams who have historically taken a chance on players with off the field issues.  I guess you can add the Browns to that list with Dorsey there. 

I don't see any prop bets other than if he will play in 2019 or 2020.

Thanks. 

I think this is spot on take for how the team saw it. Side note, this is a great example too of keeping it to football. Others I'm sure will try to take it off football and put it on you as some sort of "gotcha" that YOU were wrong. Ignore those. So much better to keep it on football.

I think you hit the big thing I've been saying that feels like it's not getting enough attention. It's one thing to bring in a guy with a troubled past. But when he does something on YOUR watch, that's different. That's what this felt like here with Brown texting the woman who accused him. 
This gives the Patriots way too much credit. It's different in that fewer people will let you get away with acting the ostrich. That's all.

Uh, no he did not.

My apologies if you're simply trolling Ravens fans.
Potato.  Potahto.

From Wikipedia...

Following a Super Bowl XXXIV party in Atlanta on January 31, 2000, a fight broke out between Lewis and his companions and another group of people, resulting in the stabbing deaths of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar. Lewis and two companions, Reginald Oakley and Joseph Sweeting, were questioned by Atlanta police, and 11 days later the three men were indicted on murder and aggravated assault charges. The fight occurred about 200 yards (180 m) from the Cobalt Lounge at 265 East Paces Ferry Road in the Buckhead Village neighborhood about two miles north of downtown Atlanta where Lewis had been celebrating.[116][117] The white suit Lewis was wearing the night of the killings has never been found. Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard alleged the blood-stained suit was dumped in a garbage bin outside a fast food restaurant.[118] A knife found at the scene did not have any fingerprints or DNA. Lewis subsequently testified that Oakley and Sweeting had bought knives earlier in Super Bowl week from a Sports Authority where Lewis had been signing autographs.[117][119] Baker's blood was found inside of Lewis's limousine.[120]

Two weeks into the trial Lewis's attorneys, Don Samuel and Ed Garland, negotiated a plea agreement with the District Attorney where the murder charges against Lewis were dismissed in exchange for his testimony against Oakley and Sweeting,[121] and his guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice.[15] Lewis admitted he gave a misleading statement to police on the morning after the killings (initially telling them that he was not at the scene).[122] Superior Court Judge Alice D. Bonner sentenced Lewis to 12 months' probation. One year in prison is the maximum sentence for a first-time offender,[123] and the immediate probation was the judge's decision. He was also fined $250,000 by the NFL, which was believed to be the highest fine levied against an NFL player for an infraction not involving substance abuse.[124] Under the terms of the sentence, Lewis could not use drugs or alcohol during the duration of the probation.

Oakley and Sweeting were acquitted of the charges in June 2000.[125][126] No other suspects have ever been arrested for the incident.

The following year, Lewis was named Super Bowl XXXV MVP. However, the signature phrase "I'm going to Disney World!" was given instead to quarterback Trent Dilfer.[2]

Throughout the course of this adventure, much has been said about morality, ethics, judgement, etc. of a football player and an organization.

Ray Lewis, Ben Roethlisburger, Clinton Portis, Jim Irsay, Adrian Peterson, Tyreek Hill and Kareem Hunt say hello.

Pot, meet kettle.

drew, as much as I can't stand him is an A++ agent.

but not even his own mother is buying that teams are willing to sign AB right now. NOt even a CFL team would touch him today

Potato.  Potahto.

From Wikipedia...

Following a Super Bowl XXXIV party in Atlanta on January 31, 2000, a fight broke out between Lewis and his companions and another group of people, resulting in the stabbing deaths of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar. Lewis and two companions, Reginald Oakley and Joseph Sweeting, were questioned by Atlanta police, and 11 days later the three men were indicted on murder and aggravated assault charges. The fight occurred about 200 yards (180 m) from the Cobalt Lounge at 265 East Paces Ferry Road in the Buckhead Village neighborhood about two miles north of downtown Atlanta where Lewis had been celebrating.[116][117] The white suit Lewis was wearing the night of the killings has never been found. Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard alleged the blood-stained suit was dumped in a garbage bin outside a fast food restaurant.[118] A knife found at the scene did not have any fingerprints or DNA. Lewis subsequently testified that Oakley and Sweeting had bought knives earlier in Super Bowl week from a Sports Authority where Lewis had been signing autographs.[117][119] Baker's blood was found inside of Lewis's limousine.[120]

Two weeks into the trial Lewis's attorneys, Don Samuel and Ed Garland, negotiated a plea agreement with the District Attorney where the murder charges against Lewis were dismissed in exchange for his testimony against Oakley and Sweeting,[121] and his guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice.[15] Lewis admitted he gave a misleading statement to police on the morning after the killings (initially telling them that he was not at the scene).[122] Superior Court Judge Alice D. Bonner sentenced Lewis to 12 months' probation. One year in prison is the maximum sentence for a first-time offender,[123] and the immediate probation was the judge's decision. He was also fined $250,000 by the NFL, which was believed to be the highest fine levied against an NFL player for an infraction not involving substance abuse.[124] Under the terms of the sentence, Lewis could not use drugs or alcohol during the duration of the probation.

Oakley and Sweeting were acquitted of the charges in June 2000.[125][126] No other suspects have ever been arrested for the incident.

The following year, Lewis was named Super Bowl XXXV MVP. However, the signature phrase "I'm going to Disney World!" was given instead to quarterback Trent Dilfer.[2]

Throughout the course of this adventure, much has been said about morality, ethics, judgement, etc. of a football player and an organization.

Ray Lewis, Ben Roethlisburger, Clinton Portis, Jim Irsay, Adrian Peterson, Tyreek Hill and Kareem Hunt say hello.

Pot, meet kettle.
-a) old news

-b) Wikipedia? That's funny. You know I could go to that page right now and edit it to say Ray Lewis turned into a dragon and flew away, right?

-c) he didn't kill anyone... IIRC it was more a case of aiding and abetting (crime yes, but not murder)

-d) you are free to believe whatever you want

-e) apologies to all for participating in this hijacking

AB84

Will not be playing in the @NFL anymore these owners can cancel deals do whatever they want at anytime we will see if the @NFLPA hold them accountable sad they can just void guarantees anytime going on 40m 2 months will see if they pay up !

Users who are viewing this thread