What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandin Cooks, DAL (1 Viewer)

I've never understood the fascination with Cooks. Even last year, announcers would talk about how unbelievable he was, how explosive and dynamic he is going to be...but I just don't see it.

Seems like Kendall Wright is his ceiling.
I'd rather have Kendall Wright too. I said earlier in the thread that he was this year's Cordarelle Patterson. I had my tongue in my cheek of course but I felt he was ridiculously over-valued before the season started. A third rounder (rough ADP) for a guy with like 500 yards last year?
C'mon, he's been bad, but saying 500 yards last year ignores the fact that he played only 10 games. He had 69 targets for 53-550-3 and 7 rushes for 73 yards and 1 TD. In a full season, that is 110 targets for 85-880-5TDs and 11 carries for 117 yards and 1 TD. In PPR, that was #18 last year, just behind Smith Sr and Edelman and ahead of AJ Green and Matthews. He was 10-15% behind Evans, a couple points behind Benjamin and 10-15% better than Matthews.That was where the optimism was from, he isn't Patterson, period. He's been disappointing, but he would have finished last year as a mid WR2 as a rookie and now had Graham gone, so likely an uptick in targets. To think that he could just build a bit on targets alone, you were looking at finishing around WR12 or so.

I watched last week's game as a Carolina fan and McCown went to Cooks often and he played well. 7-79 on 8 targets. Not as many targets as you'd want based on his expectations, but Josh Norman is as good a CB as he has faced (Peterson the other).
He was explosive last year. He hurt his ankle two weeks ago. Maybe that's playing a role?

I've never understood the fascination with Cooks. Even last year, announcers would talk about how unbelievable he was, how explosive and dynamic he is going to be...but I just don't see it.

I'd rather have Kendall Wright too. I said earlier in the thread that he was this year's Cordarelle Patterson. I had my tongue in my cheek of course but I felt he was ridiculously over-valued before the season started. A third rounder (rough ADP) for a guy with like 500 yards last year?
C'mon, he's been bad, but saying 500 yards last year ignores the fact that he played only 10 games. He had 69 targets for 53-550-3 and 7 rushes for 73 yards and 1 TD. In a full season, that is 110 targets for 85-880-5TDs and 11 carries for 117 yards and 1 TD. In PPR, that was #18 last year, just behind Smith Sr and Edelman and ahead of AJ Green and Matthews. He was 10-15% behind Evans, a couple points behind Benjamin and 10-15% better than Matthews.That was where the optimism was from, he isn't Patterson, period. He's been disappointing, but he would have finished last year as a mid WR2 as a rookie and now had Graham gone, so likely an uptick in targets. To think that he could just build a bit on targets alone, you were looking at finishing around WR12 or so.

I watched last week's game as a Carolina fan and McCown went to Cooks often and he played well. 7-79 on 8 targets. Not as many targets as you'd want based on his expectations, but Josh Norman is as good a CB as he has faced (Peterson the other).
He was explosive last year. He hurt his ankle two weeks ago. Maybe that's playing a role?
No dude its brees. Brees doesn't really look at cooks at all while McCown looked at him often.

Those damn preseason games suckered me right in. It looked like he was the focal point of the offense.
Brees' injury doesn't help in getting the ball down the field but what would disturb me if I owned him on any team is just how little Brees even looks at him or targets him. There's still time yet for him to return some value on the investment but it needs to happen sooner rather than later.
Really? He has gotten 8,7,8,8 targets so far. On pace for 124 targets which is around what guys like Hopkins and Cobb got last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is going on? Some people think Brees is not targeting him. Others saying he is getting targets and the stats back that. Which is correct?

What is going on? Some people think Brees is not targeting him. Others saying he is getting targets and the stats back that. Which is correct?
He's getting targets but unlike the Cobbs and Hopkins of the world, he's not doing anything with them. Dudes not a WR1

He's getting targets but unlike the Cobbs and Hopkins of the world, he's not doing anything with them. Dudes not a WR1
Which brings me back to my question of his ankle. Possible that he is hurt more than we realize?

Which brings me back to my question of his ankle. Possible that he is hurt more than we realize?
Perhaps but I think the FF world overhyped him to begin with. There's the long standing assumption that anything Brees throws at turns to gold but Cooks wasn't a world beater last year and I suspect we've tried to fit a square peg into a round hole with this one. He's not getting WR1 separation against top corners and he's not turning catches into yards and TDs.

I was guilty of it too -- he was my 4th round draft pick. But I delt him a couple of weeks ago because I just don't see the path to success

Man this guy was one of my most wanted grabs this preseason.

I watched several games again over the offseason, and was liking the scenario with some of the Saints weapons leaving or getting old.

I was hoping to get him as my WR3, but since I tend to go WR-WR I knew it was a longshot, and sure enough I own precisely zero shares.

Then the Brees injury happened.

I still don't doubt the guys talent, and I know he can be a fantasy asset when used correctly, but I am positively stoked I didn't get this guy anywhere.

It is looking more and more like a jumbled mess, and its looking like the "Saints of old" spreading it around everywhere.

Coleman, Snead, Colston, Spiller emerging...........oh wait lets pass the ball to Ingram a bit more, and even sneak in a token handful of passes to Josh Hill just for kicks. (I was high on Hill preseason too, another apparent bust)

Looks like a complete mess of a fantasy situation, and one I am glad I avoided.

(wish I had acquired Ingram somewhere though)

Personally I think Cooks can be of service down the stretch, but how anyone can value him as any more than a "start and hope" WR3 at this point is beyond me.

TZM

We all wondered who the bust from last year's ridiculous WR class would be...looks like it might be Cooks. Not that he can't be good, but he isn't flashing "special" to me right now.

Definitely my reach and bust pick, I'm benching him and mulling over a cut, I Left some big names on the table like Hopkins, that absolutely kills me right now.

I'm gonna hold for a few more weeks, as brees looked pretty good Sunday, but I have moved on from cooks mentally.

Frustrating pick this year.

Definitely my reach and bust pick, I'm benching him and mulling over a cut, I Left some big names on the table like Hopkins, that absolutely kills me right now.

I'm gonna hold for a few more weeks, as brees looked pretty good Sunday, but I have moved on from cooks mentally.

Frustrating pick this year.
If there would ever be a week to start him this is it, gimpy maxwell, 4th worst pass D so far.

Due to bye weeks and my weak WR, I am rolling him out one last week. If he doesn't produce here, it's going to be hard to justify keeping him around.

Yeah, was just coming here to mention Cooks gets to face one of the most giving defenses when it comes to WR fantasy production. Le sigh...It's always down to either Cooks or John Brown for me. I haven't chosen correctly yet, though it's not like either has scored enough in any game to actually make it hurt too much. I'm bummed that Cooks never seems to be in motion at the snap, or other techniques to help him get off the LOS clean. Guess getting him the ball simply isn't a priority.

I'm bummed that Cooks never seems to be in motion at the snap, or other techniques to help him get off the LOS clean. Guess getting him the ball simply isn't a priority.
This is what I can't figure out. By far, he's the most electric player on the Saints. The most dangerous. The word I'm hearing is that he has trouble releasing because of bigger, stronger corners jamming him at the line. So why is he at the line?? After their preseason game, Belichick (who's not big on complimenting or even acknowledging other players) said he's glad he doesn't have to face Cooks twice a year. Brees and Payton are supposed to be offensive minded guys. Some call them offensive geniuses. Why has every two bit fantasy player in the country figured it out and they haven't?

As someone who has watched a lot of Saints football the last 2-3 years for FF purposes I'm continually miffed by Sean Payton's playcalling and utilization of certain players. IMO he's living a lot off or reputation these days. His playcalling has become more and more predictable and lacks the rythym and innovation of his first 5-6 years with the Saints. The yardage numbers are still there but the points are down and a lot of the yardage seems to be racked up in garbage time and comeback attempts. Brees is also obviously not the player he was a few years ago.

All that to say, I share the frustration and confusion of other Cooks' owners on the lack of motion, stacking, and creativity and helping him get off the LOS and get him in space. I just don't get it.

Im praying for a big game this week hopefully 6-7 catches 100 yards and a td and then I'm immediately moving him. Hoping i can get someone to bite on him as i want no part of him this year

VaTerp said:
As someone who has watched a lot of Saints football the last 2-3 years for FF purposes I'm continually miffed by Sean Payton's playcalling and utilization of certain players. IMO he's living a lot off or reputation these days. His playcalling has become more and more predictable and lacks the rythym and innovation of his first 5-6 years with the Saints. The yardage numbers are still there but the points are down and a lot of the yardage seems to be racked up in garbage time and comeback attempts. Brees is also obviously not the player he was a few years ago.

All that to say, I share the frustration and confusion of other Cooks' owners on the lack of motion, stacking, and creativity and helping him get off the LOS and get him in space. I just don't get it.
I agree for the most part, but I do see them trying some things and just not executing; whether that is on Cooks or other players I'm not sure. There was a play in the Dallas game where they threw Cooks the ball at the line of scrimmage and had 5-6 Saints blocking in front of him. Cooks ran right into the middle of them and got demolished. It was set up perfectly, either Cooks couldn't figure out how to set up behind his blockers or everyone just whiffed their blocks, I couldn't really tell. Unlike Cordarelle Patterson last year, the Saints are at least targeting Cooks, but he isn't getting the job done for whatever reason.

Easily my worst top 5 round pick this year. Im not close to thinking about dropping him though. The talent is there, and the season is still pretty young. Half of his games so far vs Peterson and Norman.

As others have said the targets are there. What is probably most concerning is despite 8 targets in 2 of his games, he still had less than 5 catches and less than 50 yards. He should be doing more with the amount of targets he has thus far.

The matchup is good this week so hopefully he puts up 100 yards, or a TD, or both but he's on the bench until I see something like that. Im flexing Clay over him this week.

I just wonder how many more dud games he needs to put up before people stop clinging to the fact he has had a reasonable amount of targets for optimism. If anyone is watching the Saints games, he may be receiving 6-8 targets but considering how many offensive snaps they run, the guy could be the Saints' version of Julio Jones. Not from a physical standpoint obviously, but from a game philosophy standpoint. He should be getting 10-15 targets if he has the ability that many seem to think but they're throwing to Willie freaking Snead almost as much. Maybe he's just not that good?

They're just not running their offense that same way (nor did they ever force feed any particular receiver) and they're not being creative in getting the guy into space, nor is he playing particularly well. I saw this guy go before Cobb, Hopkins and even AJ Green in drafts this year which is lunacy. The Cordarelle Patterson analogy was mainly tongue-in-cheek but based on my feelings about a player going rounds earlier and well before much more proven players than common sense would dictate, just like Patterson last year.

I just wonder how many more dud games he needs to put up before people stop clinging to the fact he has had a reasonable amount of targets for optimism. If anyone is watching the Saints games, he may be receiving 6-8 targets but considering how many offensive snaps they run, the guy could be the Saints' version of Julio Jones. Not from a physical standpoint obviously, but from a game philosophy standpoint. He should be getting 10-15 targets if he has the ability that many seem to think but they're throwing to Willie freaking Snead almost as much. Maybe he's just not that good?

They're just not running their offense that same way (nor did they ever force feed any particular receiver) and they're not being creative in getting the guy into space, nor is he playing particularly well. I saw this guy go before Cobb, Hopkins and even AJ Green in drafts this year which is lunacy. The Cordarelle Patterson analogy was mainly tongue-in-cheek but based on my feelings about a player going rounds earlier and well before much more proven players than common sense would dictate, just like Patterson last year.
I think it's a Saints issue. Not a Cooks issue. Also, I know people were high on him in the preseason, but I didn't see him go ahead of AJ any drafts or in any rankings. And the only time anyone would have picked him over Cobb was after Cobb hurt his shoulder and the extent was unclear.

In any real or mock draft I participated in, he was in the tier right below Mike Evans. With Jordan Matthews, Deandre Hopkins, Emmnaul Sanders. He's definitely the bust of that tier. Hopefully he, and the Saints, figure it out. We all saw last year and in preseason how dangerous this guy can be. He didn't suddenly start to suck.

I think it's a Saints issue. Not a Cooks issue. Also, I know people were high on him in the preseason, but I didn't see him go ahead of AJ any drafts or in any rankings. And the only time anyone would have picked him over Cobb was after Cobb hurt his shoulder and the extent was unclear.

In any real or mock draft I participated in, he was in the tier right below Mike Evans. With Jordan Matthews, Deandre Hopkins, Emmnaul Sanders. He's definitely the bust of that tier. Hopefully he, and the Saints, figure it out. We all saw last year and in preseason how dangerous this guy can be. He didn't suddenly start to suck.
If it's a Saints issue, it IS a Cooks issue. Much like Calvin. I know the player is good but if the system or the players surrounding him don't support him, he is limited.

I don't think it will change this year. Nobody likes to say rebuilding but the Saints are rebuilding and if you listen to Sean Payton during interviews you can hear in his comments that he knows life is not going to be the same post-Brees as it has been for 10 years and that time is coming sooner than later.

Much like the Steelers a decade ago, this team might be dramatically different in the future than they are now and my biggest concern for a player like Cooks is that he simply might not fit in. A guy of his size is usually pedestrian or special depending on the x-factors and the way the team uses him. Welker wasn't welker until he got Brady and Manning. Tavon Austin probably will never be what he could be until he gets something better than a run first offense and Foles/Bradford. Cobb wouldn't be Cobb in Houston. I think there is a real chance the same occurs for Cooks. They will have to commit to him.

Sorry but you know Cooks is good like you know Calvin is good?

Sorry but we don't know if Cooks is good. Matter of fact we can start leaning towards Cooks isn't good more than thinking he is given his performance to date. He's young and he can improve but he hasn't proven anything yet.

He does flash from time to time and I wouldn't trade him in dynasty because you won't get anything for him right now. He's probably better on the bench though in tough match ups or on the road.

Sorry but we don't know if Cooks is good. Matter of fact we can start leaning towards Cooks isn't good more than thinking he is given his performance to date. He's young and he can improve but he hasn't proven anything yet.

He does flash from time to time and I wouldn't trade him in dynasty because you won't get anything for him right now. He's probably better on the bench though in tough match ups or on the road.
He reminds me of TY Hilton. Although Hilton has had more big games. Both are small and explosive. Even when the Saints figure out how to better utilize him, I think he'll be a hit or miss guy. 120 yards and a touchdown one week, 40 yards the next. Much like Hilton.

Thanks man. I was waiting for your blessing. He's back in my lineup now.

RealReactions said:
Im praying for a big game this week hopefully 6-7 catches 100 yards and a td and then I'm immediately moving him. Hoping i can get someone to bite on him as i want no part of him this year
Thinking the same thing...a big game out of Brees to Cooks and I will move both of them together as a QB / WR combo. Not buying in to the (S)Aints this year. The Big Ben owner may be interested if these guys go off this week. Tannehill on my bench will service the position for the time being.

Easily my worst top 5 round pick this year. Im not close to thinking about dropping him though. The talent is there, and the season is still pretty young. Half of his games so far vs Peterson and Norman.

As others have said the targets are there. What is probably most concerning is despite 8 targets in 2 of his games, he still had less than 5 catches and less than 50 yards. He should be doing more with the amount of targets he has thus far.

The matchup is good this week so hopefully he puts up 100 yards, or a TD, or both but he's on the bench until I see something like that. Im flexing Clay over him this week.
I think the reason he isn't doing much with the ball when he gets it is that his ankle has affected him worse than we realize. He's been limited in practice since hurting it a couple of weeks ago. I've said this before and know one seems to agree with me. Not sure why this is hard to fathom. He was so explosive last year when healthy. I doubt barring lingering injury this has changed much. I think Cooks is a good buy low in dynasty right now.

I think part of it is his ankle, part Brees not throwing downfield making defenses only defend shorter passes and part of it matchups thus far in the season. If Brees is starting to get healthy there's a chance things will turn around.

Cooks is getting the targets, but I haven't seen many over 20 yards down the field. Right now I don't think Brees can throw it that far. If Cooks gets 2/3 long targets (20+ yards) per game, his fantasy football stat line will improve.

I agree Bree's shoulder injury has something to play in it. They showed a shot of how he moved his arm back when healthy in previous years compared to his throwing motion this past week and he isn't going back hardly as far so doesn't have the ability to throw it deep right now. With cooks being a speed guy, he needs those 2/3 long targets a game to hit on to get over 100+ yrds/game with possibly a long TD in half of them. With his size, he isn't being used in the redzone as much as the taller WRs/TEs....

He reminds me of TY Hilton.
After watching him last Sunday, he reminds me of Tavon Austin as a rookie: a really fast guy who just cannot get open in the NFL.
But wasn't he getting open last year???
10.4 yards per catch and he had Jimmy Graham there for defenses to worry about. Without Graham, he is clearly the main focus to stop in the passing game and he can't get open. I was optimistic before, but after last week, it is gone.

He reminds me of TY Hilton.
After watching him last Sunday, he reminds me of Tavon Austin as a rookie: a really fast guy who just cannot get open in the NFL.
But wasn't he getting open last year???
10.4 yards per catch and he had Jimmy Graham there for defenses to worry about. Without Graham, he is clearly the main focus to stop in the passing game and he can't get open. I was optimistic before, but after last week, it is gone.
I wonder if the Saints and Seahawks both wish they could take that trade back. Now the Saints have no real passing offense and the Seahawks can't block anyone.

Usually, when it's opinion versus actual facts, I prefer to go with the actual stats. HTH.

Sacrasm aside, he does seem to be getting a decent number of targets - but not quite "true #1" targets. just as an example, Cooks has 31, true #1s like Julio, Marshall, Calvin, Hilton, D. Thomas, etc. all have 40+ - so they're there, but not quite on par with #1s. Secondly, his YPC are down. That could a function of his injury, or Brees' shoulder - or, more likely a combo of both. Now, that said, the YPC thing should get batter as(if?) both players get healthy - but the target concern may not. It is worth noting that his YPC last year was actually on par with where it is now - but many expected him to improve on that. Perhaps the Saints offense just isn't using him as the deep threat everyone presumed they would.

Sadly, I think he's a WR3 with occasional WR2 upside at this point. While I hoped he was more of a WR2 with WR1 upside.

Obviously Brees injury is impacting all NO players somewhat so far this season.

The Saints are 6th in the league in total offensive plays with 271.

Brandin Cooks is currently 6th overall in offensive snaps for all NFL WR with 263.

Cooks is 30th overall in number of targets with 31. He has caught 64.5% of those targets (20) for 215 yards 10.8ypc he also has two rushing attempts for zero yards.

This paces to 124 targets 80 receptions 860 yards. If he improves on the yardage perhaps due to improved play from Brees he might get 1000 yards. The receptions are solid if your league is PPR. He obviously isn't as good in a standard format.

Have to agree with earlier comments: he doesn't get open. He doesn't make crisp cuts and seems to be lost in the secondary often. Combine that with a shaky Brees and you've got a disaster.

Would any of you start Garçon, Allen Hurns or TWilliams over him in standard? And not just talking this week. From here on out...

Dude is killing me.

The Saints as a team have been a huge disappointment this season so far but I think people are jumping ship a little early on Cooks.

Everyone has mentioned the targets but there is also the snap % which also favors Cooks by a wide margin. He has played more offensive snaps than any skill position player other than Brees (well technically he has played more than Brees because of the missed game). He has been in on 89.2% of their offensive snaps and Ben Watson has been in on 85.1% (16 targets) after that the next guy is Mark Ingram at 61% and Marques Colston at 57.6%, Coleman 51.2%, Snead 50.2%, Hill 38%.

Clearly the Saints think Cooks is a very important player to their offense and want to get him going. They have a pretty easy 4 game stretch coming up in regards to opposing defenses rankings against the pass (24th, 29th, 22nd & 31st) and all of those teams have the ability to put points on the board and keep the Saints passing.

The Saints also are 7th in offensive plays per game with 65.

I get that the results have been poor but I think the opportunities will continue to be there (and possibly increase) and the schedule lines up nicely.

You won't get value for Cooks in a trade and I sincerely doubt there is anyone with remotely as much upside on most waiver wires.

Seems like a clear hold to me.

He's a hold and his targets shouldn't drop much this year but look for NO to draft anothe WR early next year if he doesn't pick it up. That's when any value he has left will completely disappear.

He's a hold and his targets shouldn't drop much this year but look for NO to draft anothe WR early next year if he doesn't pick it up. That's when any value he has left will completely disappear.
Although I am impatient and don't want to jump the gun just yet, Cook is a hold for me too. He's my WR #3 this week.

Would any of you start Garçon, Allen Hurns or TWilliams over him in standard? And not just talking this week. From here on out...

Dude is killing me.
For this week I would start Garcon and Hurns over him. Looking for the rest of the year I would probably go with Hurns for sure, but Garcon would be a match up call for me once D. Jax and Reed get on the field.

Dude is killing me.
For this week I would start Garcon and Hurns over him. Looking for the rest of the year I would probably go with Hurns for sure, but Garcon would be a match up call for me once D. Jax and Reed get on the field.
What about once Julius Thomas gets on the field for JAX? Think he takes a good load of targets from Hurns and JRob?

Dude is killing me.
What about once Julius Thomas gets on the field for JAX? Think he takes a good load of targets from Hurns and JRob?
It is possible, but Thomas has more of a touchdown guy than a high volume reception guy. I would expect a slight decrease from Hurns and Robinson not a major one.

Is the consensus to hold for now. Probably won't see much in the way of return. Where does he finish ROS? Top 30?

Users who are viewing this thread