What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Chris Olave, NO (2 Viewers)

Ohio State senior WR Chris Olave caught five passes for 119 yards and two touchdowns in a 52-13 rout of Rutgers on Saturday.

Olave (6'1/189) continues to show why he is one of the best receivers in the entire country, continuously torching the Scarlett Knights defense. Today's game gives Olave 374 yards and five touchdowns on only 23 receptions, making him and teammate WR Garrett Wilson the top duo in the nation. The Buckeyes play Maryland next Saturday afternoon.

Oct 2, 2021, 7:55 PM ET

Ohio State senior WR Chris Olave caught seven passes for 120 yards and two touchdowns in a 66-17 blowout of Maryland this Saturday.

Olave (6'1/189) ran circles around the Maryland secondary, reeling in seven of a game-high ten targets in the lopsided victory. Two of those receptions went for touchdowns with his best play of the game being a spectacular, twisting back-shoulder catch that he brought in while being interfered with by a Maryland defender for a 30-yard score. It was his second straight game with over 100-yards receiving and two touchdowns, as the preseason first team All-Big Ten performer continues to bolster his NFL Draft stock. 

Oct 9, 2021, 8:49 PM ET

Ohio State senior WR Chris Olave caught seven passes for 140 yards and two touchdowns in OSU's 56-7 blowout over Michigan State.

Olave (6'1/189) had taken a back seat to Garret Wilson and Jaxon Smith-Njigba as of late, but reminded everyone why he'll likely be a first round pick in the upcoming draft with a monster performance. He led OSU's receivers (not easy to do) with his first 100+ yard game since since Week 6 and did it with aplomb. His superior route running and speed were on display all day, constantly wide open and waiting for Stroud to deliver perfect throw after perfect throw. Olave showed off his hands and concentration as well, snagging a high pass for his first score, and also tracking a ball with his back turned on a back shoulder fade, coming down with it right on the sideline. It was a complete performance for the senior, who now owns OSU's career TD receptions record. Olave faces bitter rival Michigan for the last time next week, looking to further improve on his record breaking season.

Nov 20, 2021, 5:40 PM ET

Ohio State senior WR Chris Olave has opted out of the Rose Bowl. 

Olave (6'1"/189) follows on the heels of fellow WR Garrett Wilson in opting out of the Rose Bowl. Olave, OSU's touchdown leader, will not play the last game of his senior season. Olave, along with Wilson, are projected top picks in the upcoming NFL Draft, and since this isn't a playoff game it just makes sense. Olave certainly made his mark on the program and will now move on. 

SOURCE: Griffin Strom on Eleven Warriors

Dec 27, 2021, 5:28 PM ET

I don't think he fits their offensive philosophy.  Not that he wouldn't do well there, but I don't believe they would draft him.
I’ve seen speculation about the Chiefs and how good a fit he’d be because of his route running & ability to shake off DBs, but I’m not sure how he falls that far (or if the Chiefs would move up to take a WR) 

Then again, everyone seems to be rumored to go to the Chiefs. Every trade target, FA & rookie WR. Probably just wishful thinking, as they’re the perfect landing spot for a WR on a team that can’t seem to get a reliable WR2.

I'm not convinced Olave is considered a 1st round pick at this point in the process, so I believe he would be available for the Chiefs. 

His draft stock is heavily dependent on his combine and workouts, even though I think those two things are the least important pieces of the entire draft cycle.

I'm not convinced Olave is considered a 1st round pick at this point in the process, so I believe he would be available for the Chiefs. 

His draft stock is heavily dependent on his combine and workouts, even though I think those two things are the least important pieces of the entire draft cycle.
Good point on the Chiefs, but I’m not as certain about the 2nd part. From everything I’ve read, he’s possibly the best route runner in the draft, makes difficult catches and has a knack for getting his feet down in bounds. Deceptive speed & twitchy moves help him create separation - those skills all translate well to the NFL.

if he indeed gets drafted by the Chiefs at 30, he’s likely to be one of the top 3 WRs in rookie drafts. 

Good point on the Chiefs, but I’m not as certain about the 2nd part. From everything I’ve read, he’s possibly the best route runner in the draft, makes difficult catches and has a knack for getting his feet down in bounds. Deceptive speed & twitchy moves help him create separation - those skills all translate well to the NFL.

if he indeed gets drafted by the Chiefs at 30, he’s likely to be one of the top 3 WRs in rookie drafts. 
The teams drafting right before the Chiefs, GB & Miami, also have need a WR. But, Miami could address the need with a FA.

Up to 5 WRs could go in the first round. Wilson, London, Burks, Williams, and Olave.

Ohio State WR Chris Olave is largely projected to be a first-round or a second-round selection for good reason.

Olave (6'1/189) is one of the more highly-touted receiver prospects in this draft class and brings a lot to the table for an NFL team. There are a number of statistical categories one can break a player down by ahead of April and Olave ranks favorably in multiple. To add to that list, Olave has 12 receiving touchdowns in single coverage since 2019, the most among all players at the position in college football.

SOURCE: PFF

Feb 25, 2022, 1:31 PM ET

Ohio State WR Chris Olave ran a 4.26 40-yard dash in his first attempt on Thursday at the combine.

Olave (6'1/189) has been a divisive prospect throughout the process. Having come back one year after being a near-guaranteed first-round pick, Olave sits on the fringes, arguably lower than last year. This past year, he did about the same as last year, created separation and excelled in the open field. In his first attempt at the combine, he ran the fastest time by .05 seconds and drew a collective gasp from the small crowd. This will help his stock, as he wasn't viewed as a true burner.

SOURCE: Josh Norris

Mar 3, 2022, 8:24 PM ET

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

NFL now has issued these official 40-yard dash times from tonight’s Combine:

🔥Baylor WR Tyquan Thornton: 4.28 seconds.
🔥Ohio State WR Chris Olave: 4.39.

Sheesh.  Wonder how off the rest of them were then?

Apparently the NFL Network clock wasn't starting until well after the players had started, I've seen a few photo's showing the runner a good meter or so past the start line and the clock at 0.00

Here's one

Seeing a lot of chatter on Twitter that Olave very apparently cut weight to run faster.  

Dane Brugler @dpbrugler

Official WR 40-yard dash times:

4.28 Tyquan Thornton

4.31 Velus Jones

4.32 Calvin Austin

4.33 Alec Pierce, Danny Gray

4.34 Bo Melton

4.36 Christian Watson

4.38 Garrett Wilson

4.39 Chris Olave

4.41 Skyy Moore

4.42 Isaiah Weston

4.43 Jahan Dotson, Khalil Shakir, Kevin Austin Jr.

Whoever gets him is gonna be really happy...every time I watch him, he just looks like a polished NFL WR.

I think I was too low on Olave.  One thing about me is that I am flexible and can be persuaded to change my mind.  This coming from someone who has to watch every OSU game.  Twenty-five years ago I married into an OSU family and my stepson graduated from there.  I'm not saying he should be the WR1, but he probably is better than Bell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Official 4.38 is plenty good enough.  It shows on film too.  He's always open deep and he's always being underthrown.  He's good at getting those underthrown/contested balls but I think he'll lose more of them in the NFL.  I don't like how he tends to let those get to his body, which is weird because he's a great hands catcher everywhere else.

What's special about him though is his suddenness.  He's very similar to Wilson that way although I think his is more about technique and being better at selling one route and diverting to another.  Wilson's is just snap jitter, Olave is more smooth deception.  He runs what I like to call the no-look route.  His head is telling the DB one thing and pushing them that way but he's lying and his feet and hips are doing something else entirely.  He's moving a different direction by the time his head is snapping around and it's too late for the DB by then.  Look at this one and watch the replay - that DB has really good inside coverage, which is exactly what Olave sells to set up the plant and drop. 

Great hands catcher as I mentioned above - he rarely lets the ball get to his body.  This is good both in terms of not having a laserbeam bounce off of pads but also because it gives the DB a smaller area to attack and contest.  They are taught to get into the core and club/fight/rip so when a WR puts his body between the DB and the ball that's a lot harder task for the DB.

He's going to get a lot of (too much) flack for "not being the alpha WR" on that team but that's baloney given who his teammates were.  Wilson's a top 10 pick candidate and JSN has that potential next year.  The OSU QB rarely has to come off the primary read and Day has always loved spreading the ball around.

Strength/size/physicality is his obvious liability.  He ain't big and he sure doesn't play bigger than his size like some guys do.  I don't recall him being much of a blocker which will take him off some teams' lists (BAL, TEN) and he's probably going to have a big awakening to press coverage in the NFL.  This isn't generally a red flag issue for me, the NFL will get a guy bulked and strengthened and coached up to handle it if they are willing to do the work and all indications are that Olave is, but it's still a tick on the "weaknesses" list for me.  It's also magnified by him being a 4th year guy.  As a guy that's a year older than nearly all other NFL quality guys in this draft you'd hope he'd be closer to being physically dominant or even capable but he's not.  Will he ever?  Will this cap him at the next level?  Is he Dante Pettis or Stephon Diggs?

I don't typically draft WR in fantasy so he's not likely to hit any of my teams but as a Raider fan I'd be thrilled if we get him at #22.

As a guy that's a year older than nearly all other NFL quality guys in this draft you'd hope he'd be closer to being physically dominant or even capable but he's not. 
Interestingly, Olave is not as old as most probably think.  Jalen Tolbert, Christian Watson, Justyn Ross, Khalil Shakir, Jahan Dotson and Treylon Burks are all older than Olave.  The age difference between Olave and Wilson is less than a month.  Here are some of the top wideouts in this draft class and their birth dates (listed from oldest to youngest):

Jalen Tolbert February 27, 1999
Christian Watson May 12, 1999
Justyn Ross December 15, 1999
Khalil Shakir February 3, 2000
Jahan Dotson March 22, 2000
Treylon Burks March 23, 2000
Chris Olave  June 27, 2000
Garrett Wilson July 22, 2000
Skyy Moore September 10, 2000
David Bell December 14, 2000
Wan’Dale Robinson January 5, 2001
George Pickens March 4, 2001
Jameson Williams March 26, 2001
Drake London July 24, 2001

CBS Sports draft analyst Ryan Wilson has the Kansas City Chiefs selecting Ohio State WR Chris Olave with the 30th selection in his latest mock draft.

The Chiefs have two of the best weapons in football with Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce but they were still missing something this past season. In this mock, Patrick Mahomes gets a new weapon in Olave (6'1/189). He has the requisite speed to thrive in any system and the technical prowess to separate easily versus any coverage. He would be the perfect complement to what the Chiefs currently have on the roster.

SOURCE: CBS Sports

Mar 7, 2022, 5:04 PM ET

Ohio State WR Chris Olave Ohio State had the most touchdowns in single coverage of all wide receivers in the draft.

Don’t leave Olave one-on-one or else he’s going to hit pay dirt. He heads into this draft with 24 touchdowns in single coverage, the most among draft-eligible receivers. Olave slated to as a late first round pick, which means he could be put on a good team with an established offense. Put him on a team as second option and he can be a great value.

SOURCE: PFF

Mar 13, 2022, 5:31 PM ET

Ohio State WR Chris Olave is scheduled to meet with the Jets.

The Jets are making no attempts to hide the fact that they are planning to add a wide receiver this offseason. They were in the running to land Tyreek Hill in the trade market and reports already have Joe Douglas, their GM, "gushing" about Arkansas WR Treylon Burks. New York will likely be looking to take a receiver with the No. 10 pick they acquired from Seattle. They also hold the No. 5 pick but few draft prognosticators see any receivers going that high this year. Olave posted 936 yards and 13 scores as a senior. The stats aren't jaw-dropping but he was likely sharing the field with two other first-round picks. If the Jets nab him early in the first night, he could take on a starting role as soon as Week 1. 

RELATED: 

New York Jets

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 4, 2022, 4:35 PM ET

Ohio State WR Chris Olave visited the Cowboys.

Well, if there's one thing that could derail the James Washington best ball train -- a sentence we typed, yes -- it would be a first-round wideout. Olave is widely considered one of the better available receivers in the draft and would make the idea to move on from Amari Cooper sting a little less. It's not a lock Olave will last to the Cowboys at 24, so they may have to consider a trade-up to acquire him. 

RELATED: 

Dallas Cowboys

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 5, 2022, 1:28 PM ET

Ohio State WR Chris Olave will meet with the Washington Commanders on Thursday. 

Olave (6'0"/187) is good friends with Washington star WR Terry McLaurin, and having both OSU guys would go a long way in helping new Commanders' QB Carson Wentz out. The Commanders pick at No. 11, which seems a tad high for Olave, but certainly not impossible. With how many first round quality WRs there are, Olave dropping to the early second is also not that unlikely. The Commanders are also meeting with Alabama WR John Metchie on Friday, so clearly they are in the market for a WR.

RELATED: 

John Metchie

SOURCE: Albert Breer on Twitter

Apr 5, 2022, 3:03 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread