What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Chris Olave, NO (2 Viewers)

Would be a dynasty dream if he lasted to the Chiefs pick but I hunk he ends up going more middle of first.
He won’t make it past one of the Saints picks.  I keep seeing media types saying one of those picks being a QB, but that makes no sense considering what they have invested at the position.  None of the QBs in this draft should probably go until the end of the 1st.  WR and OT should be used for both of those picks.  Olave should be considered outside of Wilson and Williams. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Saints traded up with the Commanders to select Ohio State WR Chris OIave with the No. 11 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

The Commanders acquired the No. 16, 98, and 120 picks from New Orleans. Olave (6'/187) completed his four-year career at Ohio State with 2,711 career receiving yards and 35 career TDs. He was most impressive as a junior with a 37% yardage share and a 32% TD share, earning second-team All-American honors and a first-team All-SEC selection. His production fell off somewhat in 2021 with a 22% yardage share, but he still impressed with a 32% TD share while competing with Garrett Wilson and Jaxon Smith-Njiba for targets. Olave is a consummate pro who impressed teams with his smoothness in position drills at the combine and recorded a 4.39 40, confirming that his downfield skill set can translate to the NFL game. He profiles as a reliable option who can also stretch the field in the mold of Santonio Holmes or Emmanuel Sanders. Olave's skill set matches up well with Jameis Winston's cannon of an arm. Though the Saints project to be a run-heavy team in 2022, Olave's immediate WR2 role should net him plenty of boom weeks as a rookie.

RELATED: 

Washington Commanders

Apr 28, 2022, 9:26 PM ET

Ross Jackson@RossJacksonNOLA

May 3Just wanna note that according to the incredible information from

@RecepPerception

, #Saints first-round pick Chris Olave was first in his class in win % against man and press.

• Vs. Man: 78%
  • Vs. Press: 76.1%
  • Vs. Zone: 83.1% (5th)
Also had one of the top contested catch rates.

NBC Sports' Peter King reports multiple NFL general managers said Chris Olave was the most "NFL ready" wide receiver in the 2022 draft class. 

The Saints traded up and took the Ohio State wideout with the 11th pick in the draft, finally adding talent to their lackluster receivers room. New Orleans, which invested heavily to acquire Olave, should be expected to deploy him as the team's nominal WR2 behind Michael Thomas. King said Saints general manager Mickey Loomis, by getting aggressive and drafting Olave, is telling the team they're in win-now mode. If Thomas isn't ready for Week 1 -- he's still struggling with an ankle injury that has limited him to seven games over the past two seasons -- Olave could be in for a big target share. He should be the Saints' primary downfield threat right away: No college wideout scored more receiving touchdowns on targets of at least 20 yards downfield than Olave from 2019 to 2021, according to Pro Football Focus.

SOURCE: FMIA 

May 9, 2022, 8:26 AM ET

Saints signed WR Chris Olave to a four-year, $19.27 million contract. 

It's all guaranteed and the deal comes with a fifth-year option. Taken with the 11th overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, Olave -- the all-time leader in touchdown receptions at Ohio State -- will immediately become New Orleans' No. 2 receiver if Michael Thomas (ankle) is ready for the start of the season. Olave should function as Jameis Winston's primary downfield target. No college wideout scored more receiving touchdowns on targets of at least 20 yards downfield than Olave from 2019 to 2021, according to Pro Football Focus.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

May 13, 2022, 12:00 PM ET

I don't think it has any real impact. The Saints gave up an a brinks truck for Olave. If he is good, he is going to be fed. 
Agreed but have to be willing to wait and not panic sell if he doesn’t do that much this year with Thomas and Landry in the fold.

Agreed but have to be willing to wait and not panic sell if he doesn’t do that much this year with Thomas and Landry in the fold.
Fair though Thomas is a wildcard right now. It wouldn't surprise me if he's lost several steps, doesn't play, gets traded, etc. He's getting older for a WR and once these kind of weird injuries and behaviors happen, I feel like it usually doesn't end well. As for Landry, teams weren't exactly in a rush to get him. 

Fair though Thomas is a wildcard right now. It wouldn't surprise me if he's lost several steps, doesn't play, gets traded, etc. He's getting older for a WR and once these kind of weird injuries and behaviors happen, I feel like it usually doesn't end well. As for Landry, teams weren't exactly in a rush to get him. 
Didn't MT sign an extension that makes him harder to trade?

This is an interesting move that probably lowers Olave slightly in my book. Olave is obviously faster and more explosive than Landry, but I see some similarity in their games as in they are crisp route runners who can use their football IQ to get open. I projected him to get his stats as a high reception/possession guy, so adding another player in that mold is not something I expected.

Perhaps this is evidence the Saints see him more as a deep threat than I assumed. Or Landry is just a depth signing.

He's 29 also, and small.

Is feeding a little slow slot guy Winston's game, anyway?

Landry feels like MT insurance to me

This is an interesting move that probably lowers Olave slightly in my book. Olave is obviously faster and more explosive than Landry, but I see some similarity in their games as in they are crisp route runners who can use their football IQ to get open. I projected him to get his stats as a high reception/possession guy, so adding another player in that mold is not something I expected.

Perhaps this is evidence the Saints see him more as a deep threat than I assumed. Or Landry is just a depth signing.
Landry can beat lessor coverage all day.  The key will be how long until Olave starts drawing top coverage.  If Thomas can get back to his old self, it’s a scary team.  Don’t forget, they have had success vs TB the last couple of years also.  The bigger questions are at QB and the HC.

Fair though Thomas is a wildcard right now. It wouldn't surprise me if he's lost several steps, doesn't play, gets traded, etc. He's getting older for a WR and once these kind of weird injuries and behaviors happen, I feel like it usually doesn't end well.

Yeah once these guys hit their late 20's and start having injuries and/or off the field issues (MT has both) the bounce back rate is pretty low.

Dez, Demaryius, AJG, AB, etc.  Once they showed their first signs of weakness, it was basically over.

I know some will think that Landry signing will hurt Olave, but I think long-term it's not a bad thing at all for the young man.
Getting to learn from top vets is never a bad thing. Plus, it takes all the pressure off that first year. You don't have to be the "guy". 

He doesn't get much love. He's smooth out there and not overly flashy. That's probably why. I expect him to do well in tthe NFL! 

Yeah once these guys hit their late 20's and start having injuries and/or off the field issues (MT has both) the bounce back rate is pretty low.

Dez, Demaryius, AJG, AB, etc.  Once they showed their first signs of weakness, it was basically over.

AB ?  He was still tearing it up last year.  He had a mental breakdown is what happened to him.

AB ?  He was still tearing it up last year.  He had a mental breakdown is what happened to him.

The last time he eclipsed 600 yards was 4 years ago.

Yes, it was off the field stuff.  Like MT also has off the field stuff.

Almost every announcer I heard pronounced his name Oh-lay-vay, like if Dean Martin was singing Volare and subbed in his name.
I literally typed and deleted that reference, thinking it might go over most heads, but I should’ve realized the average age of the SharkPool members was similar to mine. ;)  

FreeBaGeL said:
The last time he eclipsed 600 yards was 4 years ago.

Yes, it was off the field stuff.  Like MT also has off the field stuff.
What are his off field issues?   I must be missing something.  

There were some issues with NO and Thomas last year. If I remember correct, they wanted him to have surgery early in the offseason and he waited until right before camp. The Saints also seemed to say that Thomas wasn't communicating with them and they had no idea what his status was. 

There were some issues with NO and Thomas last year. If I remember correct, they wanted him to have surgery early in the offseason and he waited until right before camp. The Saints also seemed to say that Thomas wasn't communicating with them and they had no idea what his status was. 
Yup.

I think Kamara should be out due to the incident in LV but people are talking about him being an option in fantasy drafts so maybe not?

Landry would make sense if they are not planning on having Kamara.

Landry does put a dent in the overall upside for Olave I think.

Not to me, I don't think you are missing anything.

You got an answer that it was how he handled his ankle surgery but to me that's not what I view as an off the field issue but if you believe it is there you go.

He also punched a teammate in practice and got the one game team imposed suspension. Maybe some would label that as "off the field" but again not what I think off with respect to off the field issues but people have different criteria.

Saints assistant general manager Jeff Ireland said of WR Chris Olave: "He reminds me of some players who have played in our league, the Marvin Harrisons, who were just silky smooth and effortless."

"It doesn’t look like they were running fast, but when we turn on the clock, it's like 4.3 (seconds). So there's some really good aspects to that player," Ireland added. Olave has lost some projected first-year fantasy ceiling with the Saints' signing of Jarvis Landry, but he remains a pretty safe bet in dynasty leagues. The ceiling he can provide will be the question mark. 

SOURCE: NOLA.com

May 29, 2022, 1:42 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread