What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Christian Watson, GB (1 Viewer)

ESPN's Todd McShay believes NDSU WR Christian Watson's ceiling is 22 to the Green Bay Packers.

Watson (6'5/208) is a fascinating prospect. A true height-weight-speed maven, Watson has all the traits that you want but lacks the production and experience that you would want to see. He is a true projection but a fascinating one. His ceiling being that high would signal that the top-five receivers might be gone already and McShay echoed that possibility. How the top-five receivers come off the board will be key in identifying how his ceiling will play out.

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 22, 2022, 12:08 AM ET

Packers traded up with the Vikings to select North Dakota State WR Christian Watson with the No. 34 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

After passing on a receiver with their two first-round picks, the Packers sent the No. 53 and No. 59 picks to trade up for Watson with the second pick of Round 2. Watson (6'4/208) opened eyes at the Combine with a 4.36 40, a 38.5-inch vertical, and a 136-inch broad jump. Watson's skill set matches his elite athleticism as a deep threat who can also produce after the catch on short throws. Watson was highly efficient in his final college season and profiles as a high ceiling player if he can transition his size and athleticism to playmaking at the NFL level. However, Watson is a fifth-year senior who turns 23 before the start of the season and who did not stand out from his teammates early in his career at FCS powerhouse North Dakota State, even while playing with Trey Lance. Watson has a wide range of outcomes as a highly athletic but raw downfield receiver. He should fall somewhere on the Terry McLaurin-Miles Boykin spectrum. The small school background is a concern for Watson's chances of contributing early, but he only needs to hold off an injury-prone Sammy Watkins or Allen Lazard for a Week 1 starting role.

Apr 29, 2022, 7:20 PM ET

He's my 1.01 or 1.02 in ppr (behind only Skyy Moore)

In standard, Hall is my 1.01

The predraft top WRs all went to bottom rung situations with underwhelming QB options.

I know that he'll be available after all the first round guys.

He make take a year or two, but he steps into a jackpot opportunity.

He's my 1.01 or 1.02 in ppr (behind only Skyy Moore)

In standard, Hall is my 1.01

The predraft top WRs all went to bottom rung situations with underwhelming QB options.

I know that he'll be available after all the first round guys.

He make take a year or two, but he steps into a jackpot opportunity.
With those hands and speed he may be Breshad Perriman II.

He makes me very nervous.  

Small school guy, not a great production profile.  Great size and measurables.  I assume the biggest selling point for most people is the chance to be the #1 for Rodgers.  But if Rodgers is gone in 2-3 years, then you're left with a tall and fast guy with a weak production profile and an unknown at QB.  Suddenly a lot less sexy.  

He makes me very nervous.  

Small school guy, not a great production profile.  Great size and measurables.  I assume the biggest selling point for most people is the chance to be the #1 for Rodgers.  But if Rodgers is gone in 2-3 years, then you're left with a tall and fast guy with a weak production profile and an unknown at QB.  Suddenly a lot less sexy.  
Plus the first season is likely "wasted" given that he's so raw and Rodger's propensity for having a short leash with rookies.

we can go back and forth on this, but I wont.   I have 1.09 and need WR.   He is on my radar along with Moore and Dotson.  I'd bet Moore goes 1.08, leaving me a choice of Watson and Dotson.   One has a QB, the other doesnt.   But in 2 years, that can all change drastically.

I hope a 3rd RB is taken before I am up, and can get Olave or Moore.   But I doubt it.

I also have 2.01, so maybe one of them slide down, if there is a RB run.  Wishful thinking.

5 things learned during Packers rookie minicamp

Excerpt:

1. Christian Watson already has connected with his new QB.

The rookie receiver said on Friday that he has spoken with two-time reigning MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who called to congratulate him on his second-round selection to Green Bay.

Rodgers will be welcoming three rookies to the Packers' offense this summer, with fourth-round pick Romeo Doubs and seventh-rounder Samori Toure joining a room that features veterans Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard and Sammy Watkins.

"It went well," said Watson of the conversation. "He wanted to make sure that I knew that he was looking out and that when he stepped in the building that it was time to work."

The 6-foot-4, 208-pound receiver was a big-play machine at North Dakota State University, catching 105 passes for 2,140 yards (20.4 yards per reception) and 14 touchdowns in 52 games.

Watson got off to a good start on Friday, making one of the biggest plays of practice when he caught a pass down the seam through traffic from quarterback Danny Etling during 7-on-7.

Once it's Rodgers under center, the rookie receiver knows what the expectations will be.

"You're open every single play," Watson said. "Regardless of who's on you, Aaron's able to put it anywhere. Regardless of what you're doing, you're going to be open. You just have to go out there and make a play when he puts his trust in you."

2nd round rookie small school senior WR since 2011: 

Anthony Miller 

Zay Jones 

Aaron Dobson 

Titus Young 

Andy Isabella

Dwayne Eskridge 

Brian Quick

This is only one data point, obviously. 

I drafted him at 1.8 in a dynasty league where you can stash 2 rookies for a year. I think he is a lottery ticket that may take time to develop, but I love his upside and hope Rodgers takes an interest in his development. If he polishes up quick he could be a steal.

Packers offensive coordinator Adam Stenavich said WR Christian Watson will be a "problem" for opposing secondaries. 

The rookie receiver from North Dakota State -- taken by Green Bay in the second round of the 2022 NFL Draft -- has turned heads in spring practices. The Athletic's Matt Schneidman reports in "brief offseason workouts against phantom defenses, Watson has already flashed traits the Packers became enamored with." “His combination of size and speed is great,” Stenavich said. “He’s a big guy. He can move. He’s going to be a problem once he figures things out.” An explosive playmaker in a run-heavy North Dakota State offense, Watson, at the ripe age of 23, blew away scouts at the NFL Combine with a 4.36 40 yard dash, a 38.5-inch vertical, and a 136-inch broad jump. Watson has a 97th percentile catch radius, a 98th percentile speed score, and a 95th percentile burst score. The Packers hope his athleticism can translate quickly in Aaron Rodgers' offense. Rodgers has historically been tough on rookie pass catchers, taking years to develop chemistry with Jordy Nelson, James Jones, and Davante Adams. Watson will likely face a steep learning curve to start his rookie campaign. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

May 27, 2022, 9:25 AM ET

Packers signed second-round WR Christian Watson to a four-year contract.

Watson's deal will be worth $9.2 million over four years. After reportedly turning heads during spring practices, Watson should get a chance to earn a starting role during training camp. He will likely need to beat out free agent signing Sammy Watkins for the job. Already having thousands of reps with Aaron Rodgers under his belt, Allen Lazard is a lock to hold one of the starting outside roles. Similarly, Randall Cobb could have the inside track to man the slot. It may take a few weeks for Watson to see meaningful playing time, but he should become the Packers' primary deep threat at some point in his rookie season. 

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Jul 20, 2022, 4:46 PM ET

No news is out there other than vague comments from beat reporters that "it isn't serious". 
A lot of players even with minor injuries get placed on PUP to start camp - they can come off at any time, and sometimes it’s only a few days.

A lot of players even with minor injuries get placed on PUP to start camp - they can come off at any time, and sometimes it’s only a few days.
Yeah for sure. Just saying there is no news at all about why he is on there. Beat reporters saying don't worry about it fine but it's hard to believe them 100% if they don't even know why he is on the PUP. I am not worried about it but obviously something to monitor with him being a rookie especially. 

Yeah for sure. Just saying there is no news at all about why he is on there. Beat reporters saying don't worry about it fine but it's hard to believe them 100% if they don't even know why he is on the PUP. I am not worried about it but obviously something to monitor with him being a rookie especially. 
Sometimes it’s just that they can’t pass the conditioning test - it’s likely not that with a rookie but unless he lingers on the list it’s probably not a concern.

Step 1 - Tons of people complain for the last few years that the Packers never drafted other solid WRs to play with Adams (I'm one of those people)
Step 2 - Rodgers wins back to back MVP in 2020/2021 as we sit here today
Step 3 - Adams leaves and they draft two WRs in the first four rounds
Step 4 - Tons of people fading those two WRs because of...*checks notes*...Allen Lazard

Look I'm not saying Watson or Doubs are going to be anything special but this is kind of the moment we've been waiting for. I imagine Lazard (and Tonyan) will be leaned on early in the season and perhaps more on 3rd downs. But it is *well* within the range of outcomes for either (or maybe even both) of these rookies to do really well this year and maybe beyond.

I also think it is fair to say that for those of us that have complained about who they could have drafted over the last couple of years, I'd still stand by that because unless one of these rookies really explodes, there is a really long list of stud WRs they passed on. I think part of the reason Watson and Doubs are so cheap right now is because of how lesser they are perceived than those big name WRs the Packers missed. And that is probably true. Watson and Doubs aren't sexy per se but the opportunity is incredible and I think the community is missing the boat here.

As for the PUP news, IDK whatever there are a lot of guys right now where the beat reporters are like yeah it's no big deal just a procedural thing to give them rest. Ok fine I'm drafting with confidence until I know better.

Step 1 - Tons of people complain for the last few years that the Packers never drafted other solid WRs to play with Adams (I'm one of those people)
Step 4 - Tons of people fading those two WRs because of...*checks notes*...Allen Lazard

Look I'm not saying Watson or Doubs are going to be anything special but this is kind of the moment we've been waiting for. I imagine Lazard (and Tonyan) will be leaned on early in the season and perhaps more on 3rd downs. But it is *well* within the range of outcomes for either (or maybe even both) of these rookies to do really well this year and maybe beyond.

I also think it is fair to say that for those of us that have complained about who they could have drafted over the last couple of years, I'd still stand by that because unless one of these rookies really explodes, there is a really long list of stud WRs they passed on. I think part of the reason Watson and Doubs are so cheap right now is because of how lesser they are perceived than those big name WRs the Packers missed. And that is probably true. Watson and Doubs aren't sexy per se but the opportunity is incredible and I think the community is missing the boat here.

As for the PUP news, IDK whatever there are a lot of guys right now where the beat reporters are like yeah it's no big deal just a procedural thing to give them rest. Ok fine I'm drafting with confidence until I know better.
Tonyan is on PUP and may be there for a longer run.

I have Lazard in one league and I have a gut feeling he’ll do well but the numbers shared in that thread are discouraging and he’d absolutely be the worst WR1 on any team in the league. Personally I think Watson is too raw to make an impact this year - but if he proves to be the best option, he will be, and the bar is low.

I have Lazard in one league and I have a gut feeling he’ll do well but the numbers shared in that thread are discouraging and he’d absolutely be the worst WR1 on any team in the league. Personally I think Watson is too raw to make an impact this year - but if he proves to be the best option, he will be, and the bar is low.
Yeah if it is a straight bet of "will Watson make an impact this year or not?" then I might call it something like a coinflip. And for a 1st round dynasty rookie pick, that may be tough to pull the trigger on. But in redraft the price is low enough where you're just aiming for upside because in the double digit rounds (Watson is going like 10th-12th round in most formats I've seen), how many other names have a chance to emerge in front of a back to back MVP caliber QB like Rodgers? How many other depth charts have a plausible path like that? I like Doubs for the same reasons and he is perhaps more pro ready to your point about Watson being raw. Doubs is more like 15-20th rounds still. 

Tonyan is on PUP and may be there for a longer run.
Yeah I don't really think he would be any kind of target impediment to Watson/Doubs if they flash and get on the field. I saw a thing about a month ago that Tonyan attended a TE camp among other NFL TEs and it made me think he will be ready for the season. I'm not really a fan I just think Rodgers likes him enough on 3rd down that if the rookies don't flash, he will be leaned on a bit with Lazard. And the ghost of Randall Cobb.

Yeah if it is a straight bet of "will Watson make an impact this year or not?" then I might call it something like a coinflip. And for a 1st round dynasty rookie pick, that may be tough to pull the trigger on. But in redraft the price is low enough where you're just aiming for upside because in the double digit rounds (Watson is going like 10th-12th round in most formats I've seen), how many other names have a chance to emerge in front of a back to back MVP caliber QB like Rodgers? How many other depth charts have a plausible path like that? I like Doubs for the same reasons and he is perhaps more pro ready to your point about Watson being raw. Doubs is more like 15-20th rounds still. 
In redraft you can maybe get Lazard and Watson if the draft falls right.

For a high teen redraft pick, expectations don't matter. Throw the dart and see where it lands. 
Yeah for sure. I just meant in terms of discussing Watson and Lazard. I wouldn’t put any expectations on Doubs worth enough weight to change my out look for the other GB WRs. 

What are peoples expecations near and long term? I've found myself drafting him in my last few dynasty rookie drafts. He feels boom/bust. I'll take a shot on a wide open depth chart with Arog slinging it. 

What are peoples expecations near and long term? I've found myself drafting him in my last few dynasty rookie drafts. He feels boom/bust. I'll take a shot on a wide open depth chart with Arog slinging it. 
Drafted him 2.01. Development pick. Second year break out hopes. Raw. I hate his college production, love his athletic profile. 

LFG!

Drafted him 2.01. Development pick. Second year break out hopes. Raw. I hate his college production, love his athletic profile. 

LFG!
Yeah basically. I'm trying to think who the last WR was in the Rodgers era that had this athletic profile and not named Adams. Even Adams only ran a 4.56. I do think it is plausible Watson balls out simply because Rodgers can heave it 70 yards. I think necessity in the depth chart will give him more of a year one opportunity than would be typical. That's why I think this could be a special situation. But certainly has boom/bust written all over it.

Honestly I'm undecided.  I really want to see/hear camp reports before making any conclusions.     It's just really hard to know how quickly these small school kids can adjust.  Some do immediately and others never do.   Even expert evaluators get them wrong.

Christian Watson (knee surgery) remains sidelined at Packers camp.

ESPN's Dan Graziano did say on television Thursday that the team hopes the No. 34 overall pick is back "within another week." The closest we have to an official timeline for Watson is GM Brian Gutekunst saying he would miss "a little bit of time" when he was placed on the active/PUP list. For what it's worth, coach Matt LaFleur said Thursday that Watson has been doing a great job of "staying up to speed" (via WFRV's MK Burgess). As Watson sits, fellow rookie Romeo Doubs continues to impress.
SOURCE: NFL.com
Aug 10, 2022, 5:51 PM ET

Most didn't think he would be better than Doubs the first year, I'd be buying if I didn't have him.

Users who are viewing this thread