What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (7 Viewers)

I do agree and I was surprised at his lack of separation and sharpness in a lot of his routes.
I think that will be fixed when he knows what he is doing. I don't know any who ever looked sharp running his routes when he did not know what he was doing and Corey Davis looked like a guy who did not know what he was doing at times. And that is not alarming considering he had about a week total of actual time on the practice field this last off-season.

I think that will be fixed when he knows what he is doing. I don't know any who ever looked sharp running his routes when he did not know what he was doing and Corey Davis looked like a guy who did not know what he was doing at times. And that is not alarming considering he had about a week total of actual time on the practice field this last off-season.

He is limited severely by the QB imo.
I think both of these things are true, as well as chemistry in general. The play calling and offense in general for a pass catcher not named Walker was horrendous for fantasy opportunities.

Mularky being out is a good thing. Hopefully they get one of these younger offensive wizards in there and turn that young talent loose.

I think both of these things are true, as well as chemistry in general. The play calling and offense in general for a pass catcher not named Walker was horrendous for fantasy opportunities.

Mularky being out is a good thing. Hopefully they get one of these younger offensive wizards in there and turn that young talent loose.
Not like they grow on trees but I can imagine a lot of coaches having a non TE/RB dominant offense to run.  So most new coaches would be an upgrade, definitely agree there.  Now they have to pick someone worth while.  

You must not have seen the catch he made in the first game of the year vs. the Raiders 
I don't recall it and it may have been amazing, but it wouldn't invalidate my overall observation. Just my opinion of course - others may have had a different experience watching him this year. 

While his rookie season was forgettable due to injuries and the typical struggles that a rookie WR has in making the transition to the NFL, the end of last year and the offseason has brought some new optimism to the outlook for Corey Davis in year two.  Assuming Marcus Mariota also makes an improvement from the regression of last year, this new offense under Matt LaFleur could be fun to watch.

Corey Davis - WR -  Titans

TitansOnline.com's Jim Wyatt reports Corey Davis was "one of the stars" of Titans spring practices.

The fifth overall pick in last year's draft, Davis missed a bunch of rookie time with a hamstring injury, missing most of training camp and the first five games of the season. Per Wyatt, Davis "looked smooth during the offseason, snatching the ball out of the air with ease in traffic" and made "some spectacular catches." Tennessee is counting on Davis to make a significant Year 2 leap.

Source: titansonline.com

Jul 13 - 9:47 AM

As a Davis owner, this is pretty great to hear. A full offseason means a ton to a new player. Hopefully he can live up to some of the hype. I'm looking for him to separate from his teammates purely based on talent, hopefully he can put up 800+ and 8+ tds. 

As a Davis owner, this is pretty great to hear. A full offseason means a ton to a new player. Hopefully he can live up to some of the hype. I'm looking for him to separate from his teammates purely based on talent, hopefully he can put up 800+ and 8+ tds. 
you're completely under selling his potential this year. 1000+ yards and 10 TDs. 

Don’t like that. Where do you see this?
Our very own FBG news...however when I clicked on the story link I didn’t see anything about an injury. Sorry, I may be sharing inaccurate info.

Updating previous reports, Tennessee Titans WR Corey Davis (undisclosed) starred during the early part of offseason work before he was shut down due to an undisclosed injury. He caught the ball with ease in traffic and went up for spectacular catches. The team will be counting on him to make a big leap in his second year.

Footballguys view: Good news, bad news... After a hamstring injury ended his summer and a recurrence ground his momentum to a halt during the season, we don't love hearing that Davis was hurt earlier in the offseason. We'll be watching this closely, as Davis could benefit from a new approach under offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur, but also could fall into the too familiar story of the first-round receiver that spends more time injured than contributing early in their career.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our very own FBG news...however when I clicked on the story link I didn’t see anything about an injury. Sorry, I may be sharing inaccurate info.

Updating previous reports, Tennessee Titans WR Corey Davis (undisclosed) starred during the early part of offseason work before he was shut down due to an undisclosed injury. He caught the ball with ease in traffic and went up for spectacular catches. The team will be counting on him to make a big leap in his second year.

Footballguys view: Good news, bad news... After a hamstring injury ended his summer and a recurrence ground his momentum to a halt during the season, we don't love hearing that Davis was hurt earlier in the offseason. We'll be watching this closely, as Davis could benefit from a new approach under offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur, but also could fall into the too familiar story of the first-round receiver that spends more time injured than contributing early in their career.
Ah ok. No worries my friend. I saw he was limited a couple days for undisclosed reasons earlier in OTAs. Hopefully that’s what that was alluding to. Thank you for sharing.

Not sure what that means. Just using info provided by this site.
There is a poster in here who gets his panties in a bunch for someone who might make a mistake about a player getting hurt or in trouble. 

I saw the report you referenced too. I'm hoping it's an illness or family thing rather than an injury. excited to see some news coming out in training camp 

Dr. Dan said:
There is a poster in here who gets his panties in a bunch for someone who might make a mistake about a player getting hurt or in trouble. 

I saw the report you referenced too. I'm hoping it's an illness or family thing rather than an injury. excited to see some news coming out in training camp 
In all fairness @Dr. Dan he did bust you for posting a couple times without having the correct info. It wasn’t so much panty bunching as a reminder to strive for accuracy. Don’t take it so personal. 

In all fairness @Dr. Dan he did bust you for posting a couple times without having the correct info. It wasn’t so much panty bunching as a reminder to strive for accuracy. Don’t take it so personal. 
Once, for confusing two players on the same team with the same last name :shrug:

point is, easy to make mistakes. it was corrected within 30 minutes just like KOJ. mistakes happen, and when they do and are corrected it's not a big deal. 

Cobbler1 said:
Don’t like that. Where do you see this?
Minor ankle injury, probably a twisted one and then the next day his hammy hurt a little and they just shut him down for the second to last day and then sat him the last day of minicamp. 

He probably didn't stretch his hammy well with a sore ankle or was compensating somehow- whatever the case, they were NOT concerned and he was both jocular on the sideline and not limping. Seven? Several players sat the last day of minicamp and more were excused as the day went on as Vrabel told them being healthy for TC was paramount. 

The Titans longtime trainer retired. The new guy (not new, he was an assistant a long time) created and/or asked for a policy for players to not push themselves through injury during spring. Vrabel told a story about talking with him and remembering things through the years when he was a player and deciding, yes this is what we're gonna do. 

Reporters were there. We would know if something serious happened.

Staying healthy is the key. 
A big part of him taking the step forward will be pass attempts. Titans were bottom 5 in pass attempts (496). That is about 100 attempts less than the top 5 teams in the league. One would assume that number goes up and comes closer to the league average, but the new OC is from the Rams and they only averaged about 1 more pass attempt a game than the Titans. Will the offense open it up or are we going to the Titans feed the RBs a lot and limit MM's attempts? 

A big part of him taking the step forward will be pass attempts. Titans were bottom 5 in pass attempts (496). That is about 100 attempts less than the top 5 teams in the league. One would assume that number goes up and comes closer to the league average, but the new OC is from the Rams and they only averaged about 1 more pass attempt a game than the Titans. Will the offense open it up or are we going to the Titans feed the RBs a lot and limit MM's attempts? 
Agreed that will be a factor. However, I still think he can be a nice FF WR2 if healthy and in a conservative offense. 

Agreed that will be a factor. However, I still think he can be a nice FF WR2 if healthy and in a conservative offense. 
Agreed. If the offense is more productive, that would be huge. Davis has the makings of a RZ monster. The Rams socred 144 more points than the Titans last year so the TD upside is really where his vlaue exists IMO. I could see him having an Eric Decker (prime version) type impact where he is only pulling in 1100 yards but has 10-12 TDs with it. 

Titans' Corey Davis after injury-plagued rookie year: 'I'm ready. I've got the fire'

Excerpt:

“No one’s got higher expectations for me than myself,” he said.

Especially this training camp, which represents a stark contrast to how Davis’ 2017 training camp looked.

“It’s lot different,” Davis said. “I’m healthy. I’m feeling good. I’m ready. I've got the fire."

A year ago, Davis missed nearly all of training camp, the entire preseason and five regular-season games as he dealt with a nagging hamstring injury. His regular-season numbers were underwhelming: 34 catches (on 65 targets), 375 receiving yards, no touchdowns.

In two playoff games, though, Davis made nine catches for 98 yards and two touchdowns.

After a solid showing during the first five days of training camp — one of which was used as a planned day off that Davis "earned," Titans coach Mike Vrabel said — it's evident the 23-year-old has carried that momentum into the offseason.

"He just looks real hungry right now," safety Kevin Byard said. "He looks fast. He looks like he’s ready to try to have a big year like he wanted him to have last year."

Titans wide receiver coach Rob Moore said he's been pleased with the progress Davis has made after an injury-plagued first season.

"Anytime you're a young player that's developing and obviously he doesn't get the opportunity to practice as much as he wanted last year due to injuries, you know there's some catching up you have to do," he said.

Which is why Davis’ offseason was so encouraging. He earned one of four offseason awards that the Titans doled out.

"He just outworked everybody else," Moore said. "The work that he puts in speaks volumes about what this game means to him."

Just ask Davis.

"I’m very hungry," he said. "Last year I was pretty down, I was injured most of the season. But now that I’m healthy, I’m able to come out here and perfect my craft and get better.

"It’s a different year, I’ll tell you that. So stay tuned."

The key for him this offseason is health. He just needs to stay on the field and work on his rapport and timing with Mariota. He's got the skills to be an excellent receiver, but he can't throw passes to himself.

The addition of Lafleur should help increase his chances for explosive plays.

Davis has done excellent as a wide side of field slot WR the last couple days. His footwork or "feet" were pretty awful during the first part of his comeback from injury so everyone seemed to notice them. Apparently all he does in LaFleur's slot is run a slant and cut to either sideline if he doesn't get it right away. His change of direction is quicker and sharper than any big WR the Titans have had.

It's fascinating that Davis is playing slot some and not Taylor. Most of the league likes 6 foot cat quick guys but the Rams did not shy away from size last year. 

Us Titans fans are used to poorly scripted offenses where the TE appears to make it crowded for the slot, so we just have our TE play slot on occasion. 

The key for him this offseason is health. He just needs to stay on the field and work on his rapport and timing with Mariota. He's got the skills to be an excellent receiver, but he can't throw passes to himself.

The addition of Lafleur should help increase his chances for explosive plays.
Really hadn't watched Mariota much before last year, but what I saw 2017 was embarrassing.

The Titans QB is the reason that offense is largely off my board.  The RBs are interesting, but not at their price.  The WRs, you would have to be crazy to put production on your roster in the hands of Mariota.

Really hadn't watched Goff much before last year, but what I saw 2016 was embarrassing.

The Rams QB is the reason that offense is largely off my board.  The RBs are interesting, but not at their price.  The WRs, you would have to be crazy to put production on your roster in the hands of Goff.

Really hadn't watched Mariota much before last year, but what I saw 2017 was embarrassing.

The Titans QB is the reason that offense is largely off my board.  The RBs are interesting, but not at their price.  The WRs, you would have to be crazy to put production on your roster in the hands of Mariota.
interesting because I'm exactly the opposite. The Titans QB and their new spread system is the reason why that offense is largely moved up on my board. 

get in now before stocks go up and it's too late. if you're only buying established offenses, then you're too late and paying big bucks this is the next offense to emerge big, and 2018 is it

He was really awful last year. 

interesting because I'm exactly the opposite. The Titans QB and their new spread system is the reason why that offense is largely moved up on my board. 

get in now before stocks go up and it's too late. if you're only buying established offenses, then you're too late and paying big bucks this is the next offense to emerge big, and 2018 is it
I'm not talking about the offense.  I'm talking about the player the offense is relying on.

Dude was skipping screen passes 6 feet short on the regular.

Mariota pulled an anti-Goff last year.

He made the same leap in production/performance, only in reverse.  

I'm not talking about the offense.  I'm talking about the player the offense is relying on.

Dude was skipping screen passes 6 feet short on the regular.
I put a lot of his struggles on the fact that he was 9 months post a broken leg, which isnt even enough time for proper healing, and taking into account his period of non weight bearing. the fact that he didn't get to practice pretty much all offseason can explain the rust. being 18 months post injury, having a full offseason of work, and the fact that they've installed a spread offense - which he and Davis have excelled at- makes me very excited for him. 

it's fine to disagree. Some people like picking last years hot name 3 or 4 rounds earlier than this years hot name. 

Goff was actually Goff in 2016. Things change in a hurry.
You would have to show your work on how you somehow use Goff's abilities/style and situation as a supporting argument for Mariota.  Really not a good effort here imo.

eta - coming from a guy who invested heavily in the Rams last year.

You would have to show your work on how you somehow use Goff and his abilities/style and situation as a supporting argument for Mariota.  Really not a good effort here imo.
Really? Top 2 pick going to a spread offense after playing in an ultra-conservative one the previous season(s)? Additionally Mariota has been a competent QB for two seasons already, and he isn't the reason Mularkey got fired.

Time will tell if LaFleur is the next McVay but you typically want to buy before that happens and the cost is still negligible.

Really? Top 2 pick going to a spread offense after playing in an ultra-conservative one the previous season(s)? Additionally Mariota has been a competent QB for two seasons already, and he isn't the reason Mularkey got fired.

Time will tell if LaFleur is the next McVay but you typically want to buy before that happens and the cost is still negligible.
If you see it go for it.

I went in heavy on the Rams prior to last season.  I can't say I have the same outlook for the Titans.  

Users who are viewing this thread