What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (3 Viewers)

It isn't just the Rams connection that could open up Mariota's stats. If the new coaches let him use his legs and run, look out. He's been shackled way too long.

And, if the news is correct on Conklin, an offensive line with two stud tackles returning 5 starters who have missed (iirc) 2 starts total over the past two seasons. This has the makings of one of the best lines in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the scrimmage, Davis looked like he still has some maturing to do. When he put an effort into everything, he was very good. When he tried to just use his body or run a route not quite full speed, the corners were way too good for that to work. He tried to tip a ball to himself and Byard leaped up and stole it. He's done real well so maybe there was even a touch of arrogance here. Zero concern, just a young WR learning.

Rob Moore was "on him" from the sideline all night. He definitely got instant feedback on every play.

Davis is often on the wide side of the field and often one of the key blockers on screens and wide runs. He did very well blocking.

Davis played in the slot a little, Taylor did not.

Disappointing to hear his lack of effort. Also disappointing to hear that Taylor is clearly better than him. I thought a healthy Davis would come out and beast this season, hopefully he can get it together. 

Disappointing to hear his lack of effort. Also disappointing to hear that Taylor is clearly better than him. I thought a healthy Davis would come out and beast this season, hopefully he can get it together. 
I think its more this lazy technique worked in college but I too didn't like it. They're simply much better at DB this year so Davis has to step up. Tough and good for him

Titans observations: Corey Davis burns Malcolm Butler

Excerpt:

Corey Davis burns Malcolm Butler

Wide receiver Corey Davis made a cut to the sideline before turning sharply upfield, burning cornerback Malcolm Butler in the process. Marcus Mariota then hit Davis in stride for a 60-yard bomb. Davis put together a strong first few days of training camp and, after missing some time recently (including Thursday’s preseason game against the Packers), has returned to a high level.

I sent him back to the pool since I had much better WR options to keep. Might reinvest if he's still there in the 6/7th.

drafted him last year in my rookie keeper league and had to drop him due to injuries...just reacquired him...fingers crossed.

I have 5 contract years to allocate to a keeper league of mine and right now have 3 on Davis and 2 on Mike Williams. I'm debating whether to just go 4 on Davis instead and really hope he's the real deal.

Mariota pulled an anti-Goff last year.

He made the same leap in production/performance, only in reverse.  
Not to turn this into a Mariota thread, but wasn't MM QB1 over the last half of '16 or something like that? I think injuries and play calling played some role in his regression. He, Winston, and Luck (before preseason) were all huge buys for me. I like all of them to outproduce their ADP. 

Same, but I'm finding the SP is the only place I've seen where faith is beginning to waver. From my limited personal experience, he's basically untouchable in trades and very expensive in startups. 
Me too. I offered one guy a possible high first and another second to start the conversation and got an immediate reject without the hint of a counter.

Same, but I'm finding the SP is the only place I've seen where faith is beginning to waver. From my limited personal experience, he's basically untouchable in trades and very expensive in startups. 
This is what, his 2nd year?  The talent is still there, he just had 1 injury riddled rookie season.  As a Corey Davis owner who drafted him in the first round last year, I'm not looking to deal him on the cheap.  I drafted him to be on my team 3-5 years.

This is what, his 2nd year?  The talent is still there, he just had 1 injury riddled rookie season.  As a Corey Davis owner who drafted him in the first round last year, I'm not looking to deal him on the cheap.  I drafted him to be on my team 3-5 years.
I'm not faulting you guys (original owners) for sticking to your guns. I'm just saying, sometimes there is an injury discount or a dud rookie year discount, but from startups and trade conversations there definitely is not one on this particular player.

ETA: I was pointing this out bc some people seem down on him in the shark pool, whereas I haven't come across even a hint of that in the wild. 

I'm not faulting you guys (original owners) for sticking to your guns. I'm just saying, sometimes there is an injury discount or a dud rookie year discount, but from startups and trade conversations there definitely is not one on this particular player.
Sorry, I wasn't really raggin' on you and I should have made that clear.  I just see that one-year mentality for dynasty here in the SP.  Your post highlighted another example of that.  My apologies for quoting you and not making that clear.

Me too. I offered one guy a possible high first and another second to start the conversation and got an immediate reject without the hint of a counter.
That's better than anything I've been offered. People have inquired, trying to tell me his value isn't as high as it was a year ago; trying to talk him down. I remind them, "Let's be real here... there's a reason you want him, and a reason I want him. We both know his value and potential"

I wouldn't take a 1st and 2nd either. I would consider two 1sts and maybe take it, but at this point my team is so young and I have 5 firsts next year I don't really need more, nor do I have the roster space. 

You could try a good WR and your 1st and see if that works. I'd possibly consider that, but probably not take it. I think Davis is the next one to jump into elite status

Sorry, I wasn't really raggin' on you and I should have made that clear.  I just see that one-year mentality for dynasty here in the SP.  Your post was another example of that.  My apologies for quoting you and not making that clear.
It's all good. My post was really just depicting an attempt to take advantage of the one year mentality. If I had the one year mentality I wouldn't be trying to acquire him.  ;)

ETA: I was pointing this out bc some people seem down on him in the shark pool, whereas I haven't come across even a hint of that in the wild. 
For a top 5 NFL pick?

People be fickle  :shrug:

John Ross was a #9 overall pick. 
Not a top 5 pick, was a debated pick at #9, not the #1 WR on his team even under the best circumstances, probably not built to ever be the #1 WR on his team, had worse than a 'dud' year.

Not trying to be adversarial but Ross does not relate to Davis.

Cutting bait on Davis is the very definition of 'buy high, sell low" and trade offers are almost exclusively looking for a panic situation to exploit. 

Not a top 5 pick, was a debated pick at #9, not the #1 WR on his team even under the best circumstances, probably not built to ever be the #1 WR on his team, had worse than a 'dud' year.

Not trying to be adversarial but Ross does not relate to Davis.

Cutting bait on Davis is the very definition of 'buy high, sell low" and trade offers are almost exclusively looking for a panic situation to exploit. 
You really want to quibble between #5 and #9? It's very hard to find examples of top 5 picks that were wide receivers AND injured their rookie year, so it's basically impossible to prove or disprove your point. I'm not saying that people should sell low on Davis. My point was pretty clear: some people in the SP seem down on Davis, so it gave me hope I could acquire him via trade or in startups, but I found that this wasn't possible.

what has the overall camp buzz on him been?  his situation is wide open...Matthews on the other side isn't really a threat so he has the opportunity to be the guy and has a good young QB that can throw the ball.  Seems like his biggest obstacle is the injury bug...

You really want to quibble between #5 and #9? It's very hard to find examples of top 5 picks that were wide receivers AND injured their rookie year, so it's basically impossible to prove or disprove your point. I'm not saying that people should sell low on Davis. My point was pretty clear: some people in the SP seem down on Davis, so it gave me hope I could acquire him via trade or in startups, but I found that this wasn't possible.
It's not quibbling but there are large, obvious differences between Davis and Ross beyond draft position. But their draft position difference is large as well.

I did not limit the pool to WRs either. Who trades a second year too 5 draft pick? Particularly at a discount? 

The Browns are the only one I can think of with Richardson. I doubt many fantasy owners followed suit.

Nothing wrong in trying but if you are fishing for guys like Davis in a trade you are looking for a panic situation to exploit. Notht wrong with that.

I doubt many (any?) people making offers would accept offers if the situation were reversed.

I think the bigger point here is that Ross is WR2 on his team, possibly 4th in the pecking order, whereas Davis is WR1 on his team, likely #1 in the pecking order. Big difference. 

Also, Davis has a resume we can go off of. He played 11 games last year, and I think we can all agree that he was likely a little behind the learning curve given his early injury. However, the targets he got in those 11 games averages out to 94 for the year. That's pretty remarkable for a rookie WR. Would have been #2 in targets on the team. 

The team is going to a spread offense, which is an offense Davis flourished in when he was in college. 

Comparing Ross to Davis is like comparing Jamaal Williams to Joe Mixon

It's not quibbling but there are large, obvious differences between Davis and Ross beyond draft position. But their draft position difference is large as well.

I did not limit the pool to WRs either. Who trades a second year too 5 draft pick? Particularly at a discount? 

The Browns are the only one I can think of with Richardson. I doubt many fantasy owners followed suit.

Nothing wrong in trying but if you are fishing for guys like Davis in a trade you are looking for a panic situation to exploit. Notht wrong with that.

I doubt many (any?) people making offers would accept offers if the situation were reversed.
This is a really pointless debate. I'm going to say it one final time: I pointed out that I've seen people down on him in the shark pool, but noted I haven't come across it in the real world.

That's it. That's all I was saying. I obviously don't think people should be selling cheaply because I'm looking to buy. So why you are trying to convince me that people shouldn't be selling cheaply is just bizarre to me. You are preaching to the choir. 

I think the bigger point here is that Ross is WR2 on his team, possibly 4th in the pecking order, whereas Davis is WR1 on his team, likely #1 in the pecking order. Big difference. 

Also, Davis has a resume we can go off of. He played 11 games last year, and I think we can all agree that he was likely a little behind the learning curve given his early injury. However, the targets he got in those 11 games averages out to 94 for the year. That's pretty remarkable for a rookie WR. Would have been #2 in targets on the team. 

The team is going to a spread offense, which is an offense Davis flourished in when he was in college. 

Comparing Ross to Davis is like comparing Jamaal Williams to Joe Mixon
HFS... I wasn't comparing Ross to Davis. I was simply pointing out how an injury marred season can affect fantasy stock prices of a highly drafted WR. Ross just happened to have been drafted 4 spots below Davis in the same draft so I used him for simplicity sake. He obviously was going way behind Davis in drafts (1.1/1.2 vs. 1.10/1.12) which accounts for all their differences (build, team situation, injury risk, etc.) but Davis has retained his value whereas Ross has fallen off a cliff. And all of this is extremely tangentially related to the very simple point I was trying to make.

I doubt anyone is giving up on Ross at this point either, or Mike Williams.

Anyone saying they are nervous about any of them are probably owners worried about the possibility of a wasted draft pick.

It's likely that one of these guys (at least) will wash out but how long did it take for owners to give up on guys like Kenny Britt or Tavon Austin? By the time people are willing to sell the players will likely have little value leftm

HFS... I wasn't comparing Ross to Davis. I was simply pointing out how an injury marred season can affect fantasy stock prices of a highly drafted WR. Ross just happened to have been drafted 4 spots below Davis in the same draft so I used him for simplicity sake. He obviously was going way behind Davis in drafts (1.1/1.2 vs. 1.10/1.12) which accounts for all their differences (build, team situation, injury risk, etc.) but Davis has retained his value whereas Ross has fallen off a cliff. And all of this is extremely tangentially related to the very simple point I was trying to make.
I understand. I see it's the closest comparison one can make with Davis and another WR, given the similarities they do share.

FWIW I'm trying to buy Ross anywhere I can. I think he's terribly under valued.

I dangled him out there as trade bait during one of my rookie drafts and no one really wanted to bite at the value I had set, and some people had zero interest in him. I took over a team and wanted to blow up the roster and I felt like Ross was one of my larger bargaining chips, but I was wrong and I have no problem holding him and reaping the rewards. 

I will admit, I am nervous about Davis after hearing about a potential hamstring issue in a FBG update last week or somewhere around there. I don't need him to turn into Donte Stallworth 2.0

I doubt anyone is giving up on Ross at this point either, or Mike Williams.

Anyone saying they are nervous about any of them are probably owners worried about the possibility of a wasted draft pick.

It's likely that one of these guys (at least) will wash out but how long did it take for owners to give up on guys like Kenny Britt or Tavon Austin? By the time people are willing to sell the players will likely have little value leftm
From my limited experience (trades and startups) Davis has retained all of his value while Ross and Mike Williams (can't believe I forgot about him as an example!) have both seen a dramatic dip.

I believe the truest determination of a player's value is in auction startups. With snake startups it just takes one person to skew the value in a single draft, but with an auction everyone has an even shot at a player and it would require at least two crazy people to really skew the value in a single draft. I haven't looked at a LOT of start ups or looked at these three players specifically, but my general feel is that two of them are much cheaper than they were at this time last year. 

From my limited experience (trades and startups) Davis has retained all of his value while Ross and Mike Williams (can't believe I forgot about him as an example!) have both seen a dramatic dip.

I believe the truest determination of a player's value is in auction startups. With snake startups it just takes one person to skew the value in a single draft, but with an auction everyone has an even shot at a player and it would require at least two crazy people to really skew the value in a single draft. I haven't looked at a LOT of start ups or looked at these three players specifically, but my general feel is that two of them are much cheaper than they were at this time last year. 
I feel like Williams hasn't fallen as far as Ross, but again another WR2 in his offense. I like a lot of these 2nd year WRs because of this perceived drop in value. I went and got Godwin before he started developing some hype. 

I think we will see a lot of the same from a guys like Anthony Miller (assuming ARob is healthy and returns to 2014 levels), Kirk, Washington, and maybe even DJ Moore. Guys who are likely WR2 or 3s on their teams but were drafted late round 1 / early round 2 in rookie drafts. Even Courtland Sutton but he is in a different situation as in a year he could be looking at being the WR1 on his team. 

Personally I think a lot has to do with the fact that we catch rookie fever with a lot of these players, and when reality hits and we realize that they are rookie WRs and stuck as the WR3 on their team their value drops to where it actually should be; we over-value these rookie WRs to begin with. I think a lot of that has to do with guys like OBJ., JuJu, and others bursting onto the scenes as rookies to have immediate value. We used to have a 3 year rule with these guys. Much like this year, and guys like Penny, Rojo, Chubb have some crazy value when a Mixon-like year is likely in the cards for many of these rookie RBs... but we have them over-valued because of last year's RB success. 

Davis, again, is a completely different animal given his draft pedigree, status on the depth chart/in the offense, and overall projection going into his rookie season as the next big thing at WR. Williams and Ross did not necessarily have that same kind of hype. Of all the WRs last year, Davis had the best chance at having an immediate impact like OBJ/JuJu/etc did. 

I feel like Williams hasn't fallen as far as Ross, but again another WR2 in his offense. I like a lot of these 2nd year WRs because of this perceived drop in value. I went and got Godwin before he started developing some hype. 
Godwin has been generating hype since week 16 last year (and before that for anyone who was paying attention). Anybody who traded him away after week 17 is a crazy person.

Williams has been getting a lot of buzz as it relates to him being a red zone target with Henry out.  If they don't sign Gates it is a big endorsement for Williams and his value should climb.

IIRC there have been nothing but positive reviews about Ross during TC as well.

Godwin has been generating hype since week 16 last year (and before that for anyone who was paying attention). Anybody who traded him away after week 17 is a crazy person.
I dealt Cooks away for him, a 1st and a 3rd for next year. Think I sold kind of cheap maybe, but I like Godwin. Wasn't big on Cooks and wanted "my guys" since this was an orphan team. I think I only have 2 position players left on my team from the original 26 I was given: Davis and Mariota, and I am not dealing them away.

I almost had Williams in a deal, and am currently trying for Ross

what has the overall camp buzz on him been?  his situation is wide open...Matthews on the other side isn't really a threat so he has the opportunity to be the guy and has a good young QB that can throw the ball.  Seems like his biggest obstacle is the injury bug...
Everything positive. After practice today the Titans coaches complimented he and Taylor. It was interesting to hear the Bucs DBs make comments like people haven't seen "these Titans." It's true in a way- they are so much faster and more athletic than what the NFL is used to from the Titans.

LaFleur said they tried to force it to Davis and then force it to Taylor for several plays each and they both came through. I like this young OC. He has done everything just a smidge different to create pressure on his players, keep things fresh etc. 

Vrabel is a stinker about injury reports. Davis has missed some time but returned fairly quickly each time. 

Taylor has been the talk of camp. The general vibe is "well he can't be better than Davis. Davis was the first WR taken." From that point, it's anyone's guess. There are a lot of videos of each of them on the web. Sometimes it's just drills but you see OMG cuts or athleticism that can get ya excited to see that live.

Rishard has yet to practice in camp and did very little in the spring. He's a bit of a question mark after being trade bait twice. I predict he will backup the youngsters since they seem very happy with the new slot WRs.

One thing everyone seems to be forgetting is the Titans have one of the best TEs and one of the best young ones as a backup TE...and Mariota loves the TE. Delanie could very well steal some thunder from these young WRs once the season begins

Courtesy of the Twitter feeds from @FF_TravisM and @32BeatWriters

Excerpt:

32: Corey Davis seems to be a bonafide #1 from his stellar camp. Will he reach 1,000 yards this year?

TM: If Corey is healthy for at least 13 or 14 games there’s no way he doesn’t hit 1000. This offense is going to be throwing a lot more with him as the clear #1. Expect 110+ targets.

Titans' Corey Davis shines, when he's on the field

Excerpt:

When wide receiver Corey Davis has been on the field this training camp, he’s been one of the Titans' standouts, consistently making the types of grabs that demonstrate why he was selected No. 5 overall in the 2017 NFL draft.

Wednesday's practice was no different.

In team drills, Marcus Mariota fired over the middle to Davis, but the pass was underthrown. No matter — Davis stuck out his arm and brought it in one-handed for about a 20-yard gain.

"Marcus made a point. I said, 'Did you see Corey there? Or was he running a little faster than you thought?'" Titans coach Mike Vrabel said. "He’s like, 'I just knew he was going to be there.' Kind of trust what you see in the coverage and kind of throw it to a spot and Corey made a heck of a play."

Sound familiar?

Davis had an impressive first few days of training camp. He's had an encouraging last few days. In between, though, Davis had a stint away from the field that he labeled as "maintenance days," a red-flag raiser considering how much time he missed last season (all of training camp, the entire preseason and five-regular season games) with a nagging hamstring injury.

But whatever Davis was dealing with last week that forced him to miss two and a half practices and the Titans' preseason opener at Green Bay, he's clearly past it.

He burned Malcolm Butler on Mondayfor a 60-yard touchdown catch on a pass from Mariota. He was easily the brightest receiver for the Titans on Wednesday in a joint practice with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Even with the reps he missed last week, Davis' timing with his quarterback looks to be improving.

"Definitely been working on that part of it," he said. "Just the timing, the chemistry. I feel like we definitely came along and we’re definitely still working on it."

Users who are viewing this thread