What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Cornell Powell, KC (1 Viewer)

Pete Sweeney @pgsween

I mentioned him in Saturday's notes and he followed up with a better performance: WR Cornell Powell was *the* offensive standout on Sunday, catching six passes of different variety during 7-on-7.
https://twitter.com/pgsween/status/1551298654614523906?s=21

Pete Sweeney @pgsween

Powell made catches deep left, deep right, snatched it out of the air as defenders swarmed, and he had a red-zone touchdown from QB Chad Henne. 10 receptions (7-on-7) in 2 workouts for Powell, who looks much improved in both his hands and route running.
https://twitter.com/pgsween/status/1551298655914758145?s=21

Chiefs selected WR Cornell Powell with the No. 181 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Powell (6'0/204) was lost on Clemson's depth chart behind future NFL receivers (Mike Williams, Hunter Renfrow, Justyn Ross, Tee Higgins, etc.) for four years before emerging with 53/882/7 as a fifth-year senior in 2020. He accounted for 90-plus receiving yards in five of the Tigers' final six games but failed to record more than 50 yards in any career game until Week 9 of 2020. Head coach Dabo Swinney attributed Powell's success to his “night-and-day” change in practice habits as a "grown up," but how much further he can actually develop as a 24-year-old rookie with limited speed is a legitimate question mark. Probably he won't see much playing time in KC this season. 

May 1, 2021, 3:34 PM ET

Patrick Mahomes complimented WR Cornell Powell's contested catch ability during Kansas City's OTAs. 

Mahomes described Powell, the team's fifth round pick out of Clemson, as a "beast." "He's big out there, running across the field and making some big catches in some tough, contested spots," Mahomes said. The aged rookie, who enters the NFL at 24, had an excellent final year at Clemson, catching 53 passes for 882 yards and seven touchdowns in 2020. Powell last year had four receptions of at least 50 yards and at least one 20-yard reception in seven of his final eight games. Playing time could be hard to come by for Powell in 2021, though injuries or struggles among the Chiefs' tertiary wideouts could give the rookie a shot at fantasy relevance in KC's high-powered offense. 

RELATED: 

Patrick Mahomes

SOURCE: Chiefs.com 

Jun 4, 2021, 8:49 AM ET

wasn't on my radar, but is now!  

There is always a handful of guys that come out of nowhere to have big fantasy impacts...maybe this kid is one of them.

wasn't on my radar, but is now!  

There is always a handful of guys that come out of nowhere to have big fantasy impacts...maybe this kid is one of them.

Dynasty-wise it is all about roster spots with these type of guys...do you have room and/or who do you cut him for (I am trying to figure it out now)...good info as usual by Faust!

As I recall this guy had some fans during the 2021 draft season (not sure if it was Waldman or someone else).   I have to admit that I completely forgot about the name.   I feel like there's not enough rounds at he end of the draft to load up on "free" KC Chiefs lotto tickets.   This is due largely to my opinion of CEH, Ro-Jo, MVS, JuJu not being sure things, even if they'll get every opportunity to take it.   Powell, Ross, Pacheco, McKinnon, Gore, Gray (dynasty), come on down.   If the bigger name signings look the part then at least I know where my early waiver drops are coming from. 

I need to hear about him catching balls from Mahomes against 1st team defenses before I pay too much attention. He was a really poor prospect coming out. 

Users who are viewing this thread