What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Courtland Sutton, DEN (1 Viewer)

Sutton feels really underrated to me right now and I hope it stays that way when rookie drafts start happening. To me he’s the only WR in this class with a legit shot at being a #1 WR on a team, and the type of elite talent that people go crazy about. Some of the players being taken ahead of him in rookie drafts just don’t have anywhere near his upside.

DJ Moore is a nice prospect but the recency bias from the combine for him is silly to me. I know many liked him a lot before the combine but it seems like suddenly he’s the consensus #1 rookie WR in dynasty circles. Between that, and the focus on the RB prospects at the top of rookie drafts, I feel like Sutton is being forgotten about. If you can get him in drafts outside the top 5, that feels like a steal. The idea of guys like Jones, Penny, and even Michel and Ridley going ahead of him is kind of insane to me.

Sutton feels really underrated to me right now and I hope it stays that way when rookie drafts start happening. To me he’s the only WR in this class with a legit shot at being a #1 WR on a team, and the type of elite talent that people go crazy about. Some of the players being taken ahead of him in rookie drafts just don’t have anywhere near his upside.

DJ Moore is a nice prospect but the recency bias from the combine for him is silly to me. I know many liked him a lot before the combine but it seems like suddenly he’s the consensus #1 rookie WR in dynasty circles. Between that, and the focus on the RB prospects at the top of rookie drafts, I feel like Sutton is being forgotten about. If you can get him in drafts outside the top 5, that feels like a steal. The idea of guys like Jones, Penny, and even Michel and Ridley going ahead of him is kind of insane to me.
DJ Moore was like half the offense for Maryland last season. He’s really good and has been for a while before the combine for those who knew of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
DJ Moore was like half the offense for Maryland last season. He’s really good and has been for a while before the combine for those who knew of him.
Yeah I think I acknowledged that in my post - that Moore had some real supporters pre-combine. But he’s basically gone to consensus #1 WR (admittedly in a relatively weak class) as a result of some great testing. I like Moore, I just don’t think he has the upside that Sutton does, especially early on in the NFL. 

Not sure what it is but when i watch Sutton he just seems so blah.  Nothing exciting.  Kind of a low rent Alshon Jeffrey.

His combine numbers were great but he doesn't look explosive on the field.

Yeah I think I acknowledged that in my post - that Moore had some real supporters pre-combine. But he’s basically gone to consensus #1 WR (admittedly in a relatively weak class) as a result of some great testing. I like Moore, I just don’t think he has the upside that Sutton does, especially early on in the NFL. 
The great testing confirmed what the pre combine believers saw on tape

Damn. Saving this one for posterity. Seriously?
I felt the same way about Treadwell and Sutton when watching tape....wasn’t sure either would be impact players at the next level. Nothing popped out as an elite characteristic however I feel like Treadwell was a much better route runner at this stage. I am not a scout though so wth do I know.

My comp for Sutton is James Hardy, but Treadwell is a decent comp as well.
Musin Muhammad is the comp I like. Less explosive Brandon Marshall. Treadwell is a lazy comp imo, recent big guy that hasn’t put it together. He won’t be julio jones, but maybe Keyshawn Johnson. 

Musin Muhammad is the comp I like. Less explosive Brandon Marshall. Treadwell is a lazy comp imo, recent big guy that hasn’t put it together. He won’t be julio jones, but maybe Keyshawn Johnson. 
Not lazy....maybe less sophisticated. My main point was when watching both of them I left wondering if their size was their biggest attribute. Nothing else seemed to pop off the screen for me. Less explosive Brandon Marshall?...the explosiveness is what defines Marshall’s game. I didn’t see anything that reminded me of Marshall on tape outside of size. To each their own...hopefully one of these WRs steps up in what appears to be a pretty weak class.

Not lazy....maybe less sophisticated. My main point was when watching both of them I left wondering if their size was their biggest attribute. Nothing else seemed to pop off the screen for me. Less explosive Brandon Marshall?...the explosiveness is what defines Marshall’s game. I didn’t see anything that reminded me of Marshall on tape outside of size. To each their own...hopefully one of these WRs steps up in what appears to be a pretty weak class.
Marshall was very quick in and out of cuts and start/stop and used his body to shield defenders. I think Sutton does the same thing but isn’t as agile- but he works back to the ball well and has an attitude. He wants that ball, and he’s going to get it. I think he’s like Marshall in that way, and also in the sense that he moves the chains, and maybe doesn’t make his living downfield. Treadwell had some warts to his game but it was somewhat overlooked because he was so young (and the book isn’t written on him), and he had a better qb throwing to him. Muhammad had a few nice years with (off the top of my head) 90ish rec and 10 tds. Maybe Marques colston is another comparison. 

Another thing I like that you can’t really quantify is how he bails his qb out. Watching his film there are some times where he’s adjusting to a poorly thrown ball or where it’s just up for grabs and he gets it.  I know these arguements are kind of like saying “he plays with some zazz!” which doesn’t mean a lot, but that’s kept him at the top of my wr list. I think at worst you get a Jordan Mathews guy. As with so many rookies this year, landing spot will move my list around. 

I’m also not really in the market for  a wr, but I have some late 1sts that is pull the trigger on if he’s there. Maybe as early as 6 but let’s see where everyone lands before we try that valuation. 

Per Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline, SMU WR Courtland Sutton "looked terrific" during Thursday's pro day drills.

"[Sutton] caught the ball very well and ran solid routes. He was also commended as coachable by teams in attendance," Pauline writes. The Dallas Cowboys put the 6-foot-3, 218-pounder through his paces in drills. In addition to the Cowboys, the Eagles, Saints and Ravens were all among the teams who sent reps to the SMU pro day. Pauline relays that Sutton met with the Titans "at length" following his workout. The wideout is arguably the top player at his position in this draft class and has done exactly what he's needed to do during the evaluating season to hold steady as a potential first-round selection for April's big show.

Source: Draft Analyst 

Mar 29 - 6:36 PM

SMU WR Courtland Sutton said that he was thrilled to work with Dallas Cowboys HC Jason Garrett and WR Sanjay Lal during his pro day position drills.

"I had a script of the routes I wanted to run," Sutton said, "but coach Sanjay and coach Garrett wanted to see me run certain routes, too. If it didn't look right, I'd go back and run it again and try to perfect it." The 6-foot-3, 218-pounder noted that one aspect of his game he has been working on this offseason comes in his conditioning, as he had heard that some coaches try to gas players out on pro day. While drills were run in an up-tempo mode, it wasn't ultimately a huge issue for Sutton, who felt comfortable throughout. As for his performance in drills themselves, Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline passed along last week that Sutton "looked terrific" and came across as very coachable, an aspect of his personality that you can readily see in his brightness and verve regarding the experience working with Garrett and Lal. In addition to Dallas, the Eagles, Saints and Ravens were among the teams who sent representatives to Thursday's pro day.

Source: NFL.com

Apr 2 - 6:39 PM

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein took to Twitter to note that he's beginning to hear from NFL sources that SMU WR Courtland Sutton could be drafted before Alabama WR Calvin Ridley.

Ridley has been widely viewed as the No. 1 receiver in this class for much of the evaluating season, but whether he can hold that perceived pole position should probably be considered an open question at this point. The 6-foot-3, 218-pound Sutton has the clear size advantage over Ridley and did more than enough in testing to reassure that he has the foot speed for the pros. This is all probably music to the ears of Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom, who has been driving the Sutton bandwagon throughout the winter and spring.

Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter 

Apr 13 - 1:47 PM

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein believes SMU WR Courtland Sutton is "the most natural fit" to replace WR Dez Bryant.

Zeirlein has Alabama WR Calvin Ridley ranked ahead of Sutton, but believes Sutton is more similar to Bryant. He says the SMU product is "in the same vein as Bryant from a physical standpoint. He has prototypical WR1 size (6-3, 218). Although he lacks plus speed or separation quickness, he's extremely physical and has the ability to make contested catches on a consistent basis." In addition to Zeirleins' opinion, he recently reported that Sutton could be drafted before Ridley. Cowboys Head Coach Jason Garrett was also in attendance at Sutton's pro day. The Cowboys are extremely likely to address the wide receiver position early the draft and Sutton would make a lot of sense at pick No. 19.

Source: NFL.com 

Apr 15 - 5:56 PM

I was just looking over my notes from  Mike Williams, and almost every note from Sutton vs. Williams was pretty close to the same.  Not a lot of explosiveness but has some quickness.  Likes to high ball a lot but doesn't fully extend for those, blocks out defenders well and can be quick twitch.  Doesn't sink hips very much and sometimes not always involved in his routes when doesn't expect the ball.  Lots of shallow slants, and crossing routes, some post routes, that's about it.  Most of that was the same for Sutton.  

The problem is last year I had an unsual comp for Mike Williams and I think the same comp applies for Sutton except he's a better athlete than Mike Williams and a similar athlete to Sutton.  That guy is Jaelen Strong.  

Currently I have Sutton as my #4 WR and #17 overall.  I have Gallup, ESB, and Kirk ahead of him.  The caveat is I'm doing my rankings a bit differently than years past so I'm not sure if Sutton is a product of that, or if he just isn't that good in my eyes.  I'm pumping a few of "my guys" up in rankings based on floor and ceiling combo and some other things.  I think Sutton is all ceiling with no floor, that's why he's #4 on my list.  

I was just looking over my notes from  Mike Williams, and almost every note from Sutton vs. Williams was pretty close to the same.  Not a lot of explosiveness but has some quickness.  Likes to high ball a lot but doesn't fully extend for those, blocks out defenders well and can be quick twitch.  Doesn't sink hips very much and sometimes not always involved in his routes when doesn't expect the ball.  Lots of shallow slants, and crossing routes, some post routes, that's about it.  Most of that was the same for Sutton.  

The problem is last year I had an unsual comp for Mike Williams and I think the same comp applies for Sutton except he's a better athlete than Mike Williams and a similar athlete to Sutton.  That guy is Jaelen Strong.  

Currently I have Sutton as my #4 WR and #17 overall.  I have Gallup, ESB, and Kirk ahead of him.  The caveat is I'm doing my rankings a bit differently than years past so I'm not sure if Sutton is a product of that, or if he just isn't that good in my eyes.  I'm pumping a few of "my guys" up in rankings based on floor and ceiling combo and some other things.  I think Sutton is all ceiling with no floor, that's why he's #4 on my list.  
Interesting, who’s your top 7?

Tex

Interesting, who’s your top 7?

Tex
Overall or just WR's?  I'll answer both anyways.

Barkley, Guice, Chubb, Michel, Rojo, Penny, Goedert.  That's my non QB premium rankings.  I play mostly 2QB leagues and the top3 QB's are right after Rojo in my rankings.

Just WR's

Gallup, ESB, Kirk, Sutton, Ridley, Washington, DJ Moore

NFL.com Draft Analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes that SMU WR Courtland Sutton could be the first wide receiver taken in the draft.

That's not a big surprise to us, as our Thor Nystrom has Sutton listed as the top wide receiver in the class. Jeremiah reports that teams have become "enamored" with his size (6'3/218) and ball skills. "Teams have enjoyed visiting with him throughout the evaluation process," Jeremiah writes. "It wouldn't shock me if he ended up being the first wide receiver off the board."

Apr 16 - 7:23 PM

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein believes SMU WR Courtland Sutton is "the most natural fit" to replace WR Dez Bryant.

Zeirlein has Alabama WR Calvin Ridley ranked ahead of Sutton, but believes Sutton is more similar to Bryant. He says the SMU product is "in the same vein as Bryant from a physical standpoint. He has prototypical WR1 size (6-3, 218). Although he lacks plus speed or separation quickness, he's extremely physical and has the ability to make contested catches on a consistent basis." In addition to Zeirleins' opinion, he recently reported that Sutton could be drafted before Ridley. Cowboys Head Coach Jason Garrett was also in attendance at Sutton's pro day. The Cowboys are extremely likely to address the wide receiver position early the draft and Sutton would make a lot of sense at pick No. 19.

Zierlein had similar thoughts on Laquon Treadwell, whom he described as a "catch-winner" and one who "truly shines with ball-tracking skills," but  lacked "vertical speed to scare cornerbacks" and "struggled to free himself from press coverage."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/laquon-treadwell?id=2555214

Zierlein had similar thoughts on Laquon Treadwell, whom he described as a "catch-winner" and one who "truly shines with ball-tracking skills," but  lacked "vertical speed to scare cornerbacks" and "struggled to free himself from press coverage."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/laquon-treadwell?id=2555214
It's a fair point.

For me there are some differences, at least from an athletic testing perspective.

Most of Treadwell's athletic numbers come from his pro-day so I take them with a bit of a grain of salt.  Having said that, he ran the 40 in roughly 4.63 and had a 7.05 3-cone time.  By comparison, Sutton ran a 4.54 forty and had a really impressive 6.57 3-cone...AT THE COMBINE.

I'll admit to having watched limited tape on Sutton so I don't really have a strong opinion one way or another on the guy.  I'll be watching what round he is selected in and by who - that will tell me how much research I'll need to do on him before my rookie drafts.  My point is the athletic red flags with Treadwell were fairly clear whereas I see some real athletic quality to Sutton, especially for his size.

It's a fair point.

For me there are some differences, at least from an athletic testing perspective.

Most of Treadwell's athletic numbers come from his pro-day so I take them with a bit of a grain of salt.  Having said that, he ran the 40 in roughly 4.63 and had a 7.05 3-cone time.  By comparison, Sutton ran a 4.54 forty and had a really impressive 6.57 3-cone...AT THE COMBINE.

I'll admit to having watched limited tape on Sutton so I don't really have a strong opinion one way or another on the guy.  I'll be watching what round he is selected in and by who - that will tell me how much research I'll need to do on him before my rookie drafts.  My point is the athletic red flags with Treadwell were fairly clear whereas I see some real athletic quality to Sutton, especially for his size.
Only way I take a chance on Sutton would be early to mid 2nd round in dynasty rookie drafts.  Needless to say I won't be owning Sutton.

Treadwell was drafted 23rd overall, which is likely to be higher than Sutton will go.  Draft slot is not entirely reliable.
Agreed.  I didn’t mean to suggest his draft slot will directly impact how highly I rate him - I meant to suggest his draft slot combined with who drafts him will impact how much time I spend watching his tape before my rookie drafts 

It's a fair point.

3-cone was particularly bad, but Treadwell was also worse than Sutton at his pro day on the short shuttle and vertical as well. In comparison, Dez ran a 4.52 vs Sutton's 4.54 and was an inch shorter than Sutton. Dez measured with longer arms, and was better in the vertical and broad jump, but Sutton was better in the 3 cone and short shuttle. As far as athletics are considered, I agree there is no comparison to Treadwell in the slightest.

3-cone was particularly bad, but Treadwell was also worse than Sutton at his pro day on the short shuttle and vertical as well. In comparison, Dez ran a 4.52 vs Sutton's 4.54 and was an inch shorter than Sutton. Dez measured with longer arms, and was better in the vertical and broad jump, but Sutton was better in the 3 cone and short shuttle. As far as athletics are considered, I agree there is no comparison to Treadwell in the slightest.
Lack of separation is definitely a fair comparison to Treadwell. 

Zeirlein has Alabama WR Calvin Ridley ranked ahead of Sutton, but believes Sutton is more similar to Bryant. He says the SMU product is "in the same vein as Bryant from a physical standpoint. He has prototypical WR1 size (6-3, 218). Although he lacks plus speed or separation quickness, he's extremely physical and has the ability to make contested catches on a consistent basis." In addition to Zeirleins' opinion, he recently reported that Sutton could be drafted before Ridley. Cowboys Head Coach Jason Garrett was also in attendance at Sutton's pro day. The Cowboys are extremely likely to address the wide receiver position early the draft and Sutton would make a lot of sense at pick No. 19.

This seems like an odd take to me.  While I agree that Sutton is the prospect most like Dez, Dez was not a good fit with Prescott so why would they be looking to get a similar style player?

Dak isn't a "throw him open" QB, nor is he a risk taker.  Seems like Dallas would be more interested in going for a receiver that wins with separation, as that seems like a better fit with Dak.

This seems like an odd take to me.  While I agree that Sutton is the prospect most like Dez, Dez was not a good fit with Prescott so why would they be looking to get a similar style player?

Dak isn't a "throw him open" QB, nor is he a risk taker.  Seems like Dallas would be more interested in going for a receiver that wins with separation, as that seems like a better fit with Dak.
Iirc two seasons ago when dez was out beasley seemed to feast from a ppr perspective.  Could be value

Jello_Biafra said:
I would be shocked if this guy isn't the first WR taken. People watch too much "tape".
Is there one thing that he does really really well?  It seems to be he is just okay across the board, nothing really jumps off the page with him maybe except his height

cloppbeast said:
Separation is not Sutton's greatest asset either. He's not very limber.
Is this an assumption? Data doesnt back this up. He has a better 3 cone than any of the other top wr prospects, by a lot actually

Users who are viewing this thread