What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Darius Slayton, NYG (1 Viewer)

Pretty good day. Hope this becomes more of the norm
Maddeningly inconsistent. If DJ can take a step forward & the Giants can show some consistency on offense, I’d be higher on him. 

He seems like a guy who is good for a floor of 3-5 for 35-65, but they’ll always take a shot or two. If he happens to be open, boom. 

The challenge is how predictable the boom games will be. His swings will be wider than a lot of RE3/flex types, but that includes the occasional BOOM game, competition dependent,

Cowboys secondary is not great. 

Pretty good day. Hope this becomes more of the norm
He's good. Consistently got open all day. He's been doing that all year. Jones has missed him a few times or hasn't had much time to throw. Missed him Sunday down the sideline for a TD. Had his man beat.

Obviously situations matter. But man alive, you cannot watch him without coming away certain you are seeing someone who is good at his craft.

They don't play the inept Dallas Defense every week...…….although Slayton did look good regardless. 
To be fair though, the first few games were Steelers, Bears, 49ers, Rams. That was by far the toughest stretch they'll have all year. I was kinda high-ish on the Giants offense this year, but it was with the idea that it would be week 5 on, for everyone but Barkley.

I've said it before, but Slayton reminds me a lot of DJ Chark a year ago. He's hard to bench because the targets(not just deep balls anymore) will be there every week. I think Slayton might be a WR2 going forward. 

Had a pretty awesome one handed circus catch deep down the sideline at one point, shades of OBJ right there. Giants just need a new QB (along with O'line, healthy RB, etc.)

Darius Slayton (foot) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

It's a new "injury" for Slayton, but assuming he didn't get hurt in practice today, the limited session keeps him on track for Week 6 against Washington. Slayton is coming off an 8-129 day against the Cowboys in Week 5 and had a touchdown taken off the board on a Giants penalty. He has two 100-yard games this year.

Oct 14, 2020, 3:25 PM ET

Giants WR Darius Slayton (foot) was limited during Thursday's practice. 

Giants beat writers didn't seem too concerned with the foot injury that's kept Slayton limited for two straight days. He'll most likely play this week and profiles as a low-end WR2 against a burnable Washington secondary. 

SOURCE: Dan Duggan on Twitter 

Oct 15, 2020, 3:55 PM ET

Giants WR Darius Slayton (concussion) is available for Week 6 against Washington.

Slayton leads the Giants with 40 targets and 505 air yards. With Sterling Shepard (toe) still on injured reserve, Slayton figures to be the top receiving option by a wide margin again this week. His volume gives him a reasonable floor as a WR3. Slayton's game-breaking speed gives him high-end WR2 upside every week.

Oct 18, 2020, 11:45 AM ET

Darius Slayton caught 2-of-4 targets for 41 yards and a touchdown in the Giants' Week 6 win over Washington.

Slayton came into the game with a foot injury and it clearly had an impact on his play. He left the field limping in the second half but returned a few plays later. He's scored all three of the Giants' passing touchdowns this year. His score came in the first half on an impressive route that saw him get behind the defense and catch a perfectly placed ball from Jones. Slayton's biggest issue going forward will be Jones' spotty accuracy. He remains a high-upside WR2 on a weekly basis.

Oct 18, 2020, 4:07 PM ET

Darius Slayton (foot) was "limited" for Tuesday's walk-through.

Slayton avoided setbacks against Washington. He should be ready to go for Thursday evening's suddenly massive divisional tilt with the Eagles. With Daniel Jones showing next to nothing as a passer, Slayton is limited to boom/bust WR3 status. 

Oct 20, 2020, 3:48 PM ET

Tough call on Slayton tonight. What's everyone else doing now that Sterling has been activated?
I'm not sure it matters. It might even help. I know that wasn't the case last year, when everyone was healthy, but Tate is done now. He was splitting time with CJ Board. Shepard should breeze right past him to the #2 WR spot. Target wise, I'm expecting it to go Engram>Slayton>Shepard, with Slayton getting 3-4 deep shots.

Slayton is the same high end WR3 he's been all year, in what is a pretty good matchup. I think there is a 3-40 absolute floor, and a ton of upside, like a 7-125-2 in on the table. The Eagles play to their opponents, and have an awful secondary, other than Slay, who isn't what he once was.

I do like that Darius Slayton v Darius Slay is almost certain to confuse the announce team at some point.

I'm not sure it matters. It might even help. I know that wasn't the case last year, when everyone was healthy, but Tate is done now. He was splitting time with CJ Board. Shepard should breeze right past him to the #2 WR spot. Target wise, I'm expecting it to go Engram>Slayton>Shepard, with Slayton getting 3-4 deep shots.

Slayton is the same high end WR3 he's been all year, in what is a pretty good matchup. I think there is a 3-40 absolute floor, and a ton of upside, like a 7-125-2 in on the table. The Eagles play to their opponents, and have an awful secondary, other than Slay, who isn't what he once was.

I do like that Darius Slayton v Darius Slay is almost certain to confuse the announce team at some point.
So not worried about the toe and short week?

Fantasy Football: Week 7 WR/CB matchups and TE breakdown

Excerpt:

Projected shadow matchups: Darius Slayton vs. Darius Slay

WR/CB breakdown: I would like to petition that the nickname “Big-play Slay” goes to whoever wins this Thursday night shadow date.

Slayton has certainly been the only Giants player consistently creating big plays all season. The PPR WR18 through six weeks, Slayton boasts a league-best 45% air-yard share and should continue to see all the targets he can handle as long as Sterling Shepard (toe, game-time decision) remains sidelined.

It’s tough to truly get behind any of these receivers if Shepard is active. The Eagles’ ferocious pass rush figures to have its way with PFF’s 32nd-ranked pass-blocking offensive line. Slay and company have also usually held up their end of the bargain this season; Tyler Boyd (10-125-0), Chase Claypool (7-110-3) and Tee Higgins (5-40-2) are the only receivers to eclipse 14 PPR points against this secondary.

Slayton is my PPR WR27 and Tate is my WR52. I’d want to see what Shepard’s snap share looks like before treating him as a realistic fantasy option. I’d probably go with most other options in related start/sit questions.

Darius Slayton caught 2-of-4 targets for 23 yards in the Giants' Week 7 loss to the Eagles. 

With Sterling Shepard returning, Slayton was fourth on the G-Men in targets. He's now just 4-of-8 for 64 yards over his past two games, and has a tough Week 8 matchup in the Bucs. Shepard's return probably bumps Slayton down to WR4 status, though he is still a player you like to start in 50-50 situations because of his week-winning upside as a big-play threat. 

Oct 23, 2020, 12:28 AM ET

It looked like Shepard was the WR1 for them. It sucks because Slayton was building something. Now I fear this plus the injury is going to set him back. 

Slayton ran the most routes and was on the field the most. Its possible Shepard is the #1, its also possible they preferred not to attack Slay. Disappointing game, but too soon to draw conclusions. Shepard was there in week 1 when Slayton had his best game of the season.

Darius Slayton caught 5-of-9 targets for 56 yards in the Giants' Week 8 loss to the Bucs.

Slayton's biggest contribution was a fourth-down bail-out of Daniel Jones to pick up 12 yards on the final drive that ended in a touchdown with a chance to tie the game on a two-pointer that eventually failed. The nine targets were Slayton's second-most of the season, a year in which he's eclipsed 56 yards just once with a pair of 100-yard efforts. It's been boom-or-bust for Slayton in fantasy. He gets a date with Washington as a WR3/4 next week.

Nov 2, 2020, 11:59 PM ET

Slayton could have had a monster game if Jones would have looked his way on the multiple times he blew past the Bucs DBs.

If Slayton was tied to an even moderately competent QB, he’d be a solid weekly play. As long as Jones is there, it’s not happening. I had to cut bait on him. Love the talent, hate the situation.

Slayton was open all night, but Jones missed him on some passes that should have been long gains.  

Giants WR Darius Slayton has the seventh most air yards in the NFL. 

After registering another 122 air yards on Monday night against Tampa, Slayton is just behind Tyreek Hill with 740 air yards. Calvin Ridley leads the league with 995 air yards. Sterling Shepard's return from injury has put a damper on Slayton's upside but its clear he'll still get downfield looks in the Giants' offense. Slayton should be treated as a WR3 option in Week 9 against Washington. 

RELATED: 

Sterling Shepard

Nov 3, 2020, 11:37 AM ET

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
Yep.. Unfortunately situations matter.

Giants WR Darius Slayton has the seventh most air yards in the NFL. 

After registering another 122 air yards on Monday night against Tampa, Slayton is just behind Tyreek Hill with 740 air yards. Calvin Ridley leads the league with 995 air yards. Sterling Shepard's return from injury has put a damper on Slayton's upside but its clear he'll still get downfield looks in the Giants' offense. Slayton should be treated as a WR3 option in Week 9 against Washington. 

RELATED: 

Sterling Shepard

Nov 3, 2020, 11:37 AM ET
interesting stat, thanks.

My take: love Slayton's game, legit talent, but super inconsistent in neutral or minus matchups. In a different year or with a more capable QB I would be bullish.

Jones must hate him or something. He's willing to force the ball into terrible spots for other WRs but Slayton he doesn't even look his way. Shepard is the only one of value now along with Engram. 

Darius Slayton caught 5-of-7 targets for 93 yards in the Giants' Week 10 win over the Eagles.

Slayton left the first quarter with a shoulder injury but returned one drive later, presumably with a brace under his pads. It's an injury to watch moving forward, although the Giants get a well-timed bye before returning in Week 12 against the Bengals. With Sterling Shepard back, Slayton is a boom-bust flex option capable of big plays and duds.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Darius Slayton was held without a catch on two targets in the Giants' Week 12 win over the Bengals. 

This was the low point of a spiraling campaign, one that has seen Slayton finish with 23-or-fewer yards in three of his past five appearances. One of Slayton's missed connections could have been a 74-yard touchdown, but he somehow failed to get underneath it. Slayton's day went from bad to worse when a hamstring injury knocked Jones out midway through the third quarter. Slayton has a dream Week 13 matchup in the Seahawks' league-worst pass defense, but he will have a difficult time cashing it in if Colt McCoy's pea shooter is under center. If Jones can ice his hammy up and get out there, Slayton will have WR3 appeal. 

- Rotoworld

Darius Slayton caught 4-of-9 targets for 74 yards in the Giants' Week 15 loss to the Browns.

A quality on-paper matchup turned into a usable but forgettable box score for Slayton, who has been entirely erased with Sterling Shepard in the lineup. This was only Slayton's fourth game reaching at least 60 yards this season. Despite being maxed out as a no-floor WR5, Slayton offers serviceable real-life play as a deep threat for New York. He'll need to rip off some chunk gains for the Giants to hang with the Ravens in Week 16.

- Rotoworld

I really expected better this year.
He was one of the players I was having a real tough time getting a handle on this offseason and I still feel like he's an enigma...the big issue is the amount of duds...just couldn't trust him  that he wouldn't have an awful day if you put him into the lineup...also, for that type of player the three TDs means you really didn't even get those big days that could offset those duds...Dynasty-wise he is still only 23 and could be a buy low but if the Giants grab a Chase, Smith or Waddle in the first round his upside may be somewhat limited going forward.

Darius Slayton caught 2-of-4 targets for 22 yards in the Giants' Week 17 win over the Cowboys.

After catching eight touchdowns as a rookie, Slayton secured just three scores this season, catching two in the Week 1 opener and none after Week 6. Daniel Jones threw just 11 touchdowns on the year in a pitiful passing offense. Slayton's 96 targets were 12 more than he saw in year one, but he caught just 50 of them for 751 yards as a low-percentage deep threat. Slayton has skill, but he needs better quarterback play. The Giants will likely look to upgrade on Jones in the offseason. As it stands now, Slayton is a boom-bust WR4 who turns 24 next week.

- Rotoworld
got damn Roto sure putting their line in the sand. I probably dislike Jones more than any Giants fan and I don't think this.

I think Slayton has put some good production on film but poor QB play and the loss of Barkley were too much to make him FF worthy this year. I'm probably going to be gunshy on him in redraft moving forward. But he will be even cheaper than he was this year so perhaps the opposite will be true. Maybe a buy low in redraft and dynasty this year. I hope Barkley's recovery goes well. But I don't see the QB play getting better sooner, so realistically probably not a buy at all. 

Only thing is I can see his price being dirt cheap. But maybe a roster clogger.

DariusSlayton caught 3-of-7 targets for 65 yards in Week 1 against the Broncos.

It was a drop-filled game for Slayton, who finished second behind Sterling Shepard (9) in targets. Slayton got 42 of his 65 yards on a free play after the Broncos jumped offsides. The third-year receiver is a boom-bust WR4 for Week 2.

Darius Slayton caught 3-of-6 targets for 54 yards and a touchdown in the Giants' Week 2 loss to Washington.

Slayton's touchdown was a 33-yarder where he ran right by William Jackson III. He could have had an even bigger night after coming open for a would-be 43-yard score on a blown coverage, but he committed a "drop" on a Daniel Jones pass that was ever so slightly overthrown. Both were to blame. Slayton struggled with drops in Week 1, though he has so far remained Jones' preferred deep target even with Kenny Golladay on the roster. The Falcons' talent-less defense is on tap for Week 3. 

Sep 17, 2021, 12:38 AM ET

First of all, as a Vikings fan, I already hate Joe Buck. I think he’s a smug little man.

But, he talked about that Slayton drop for 5 minutes without ever even hinting at the fact that Daniel Jones didn’t throw a very good ball there. Even a little more air under it and it’s an easy TD. 

Could he have made a dazzling catch on that ball? Yes. But it could have been an easy 6 with a better throw.

Slayton does not have good hands. And that limits his value in the long run because he isn't an exceptional athlete either.

Darius Slayton caught 1-of-1 targets for eight yards in the Giants' Week 3 loss to the Falcons.

Slayton was quiet early in the game. He was then ruled out in the first half with hamstring injury. His status for Week 4 will need to be monitored. If cleared for Week 4 against the Saints he'll be a weak FLEX option.

Users who are viewing this thread