What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Demario Douglas, NE (1 Viewer)

I'm guessing a WR gets drafted tonight and/or Patriots trade for one.

I know Bourne and Osborn are going to be in the mix with at least one big time addition. But is Pop resembling a starting WR for the Patriots in 2024? I can't say that I was expecting that to be the case. If so, I'm going to have to give a lot more thought to keeping him protected before my league's cutdown. Anyone see a path to 900-1,000 yards in '24?

Right now I see him starting and if he isn’t officially starting he will be on the field a ton…right now they have Thornton and Juju who are luggage…Bourne who is solid but is coming off of an ACL (and has never put up big numbers) and Osborn who should be a decent addition but I don’t see him turning into a go-to option…with this group Douglas is easily the best fantasy asset and I see a pretty easy path to putting up the numbers you reference…he is also the only one that I think they are committed to longer term…with that said there will be at least one good rookie (or a veteran added via trade) added to this group and most likely another one drafted at some point so depending on the style of WR they draft there could be some overlap with Douglas but right now I think he is guy you can be cautiously optimistic that he can contribute as a solid depth WR in fantasy.

Last edited:

I know Bourne and Osborn are going to be in the mix with at least one big time addition. But is Pop resembling a starting WR for the Patriots in 2024? I can't say that I was expecting that to be the case. If so, I'm going to have to give a lot more thought to keeping him protected before my league's cutdown. Anyone see a path to 900-1,000 yards in '24?

Right now I see him starting and if he isn’t officially starting he will be on the field a ton…right now they have Thornton and Juju who are luggage…Bourne who is solid but is coming off of an ACL (and has never put up big numbers) and Osborn who should be a decent addition but I don’t see him turning into a go-to option…with this group Douglas is easily the best fantasy asset and I see a pretty easy path to putting up the numbers you reference…he is also the only one that I think they are committed to longer term…with that said there will be at least one good rookie (or a veteran added via trade) added to this group and most likely another one drafted at some point so depending on the style of WR they draft there could be some overlap with Douglas but right now I think he is guy you can be cautiously optimistic that he can contribute as a solid depth WR in fantasy.
This could be very short-lived after the Pats trade for Higgins and draft another top rookie tonight, but as someone that was half-expecting KOC to make an offer the Pats couldn't say no to at #3, this got more interesting than I was expecting.

If it ends up as only the top remaining WR at the top of round 2 and another shot on Day 3, there might be more fantasy meat on this bone than I was expecting. He's definitely a nice weapon for the Pats in real football, but I have been somewhat skeptical of Douglas the fantasy asset moving forward.

Right now I see him starting and if he isn’t officially starting he will be on the field a ton…right now they have Thornton and Juju who are luggage…Bourne who is solid but is coming off of an ACL (and has never put up big numbers) and Osborn who should be a decent addition but I don’t see him turning into a go-to option…with this group Douglas is easily the best fantasy asset and I see a pretty easy path to putting up the numbers you reference…
Jalen Reagor still on the roster and may have something to say about this... per Jalen: "Sounds about right."

I don't. If they add another receiver, there could be a lot of mouths to feed (and not a very big pie to split up). It will likely be Brissett at QB, the line will still be shaky, and chances are they will be a run first team.

They averaged 200 passing yards a game. Bourne was a quarter of that when he played. JuJu is still there after it was reported he was going to be released. Not sure if that means they had a change of heart, if his knee got healthier, if they didn't want to take on the dead money, or if he is still on his way out.

Douglas got more reps after Bourne, JuJu, Parker, Henry, and Thornton missed some time and were banged up. It's very possible the pecking order could be new WR-Bourne-Osborn-JJSS-Douglas. Flip flop those last two if you want. Not sure how much value there is as the fourth receiver in NE (when they also throw to a RB and a TE). Douglas could start developing and earn more playing time, but he's probably a fringe fantasy option for me.

Yes to both with the major caveat of depends what they do with rest of draft/trades.

Mentioned this before but The Athletic did an article earlier in the off-season, before FA, where they ranked in tiers the most valuable players to the franchise. This did include contract, how much money and time the player had on his deal so these things for sure where a huge assist for Douglass but just the same Gonzalez was tier 1 by himself, IIRC Barmore was tier 2 by himself, and Douglass was tier 3 with three other players. Long story short, at that time considered one of the 5 most valuable pieces of their roster by that beat writer, relative again to contract. That beat writer also speculated if he could be a possible 1k WR next year.

I don't. If they add another receiver, there could be a lot of mouths to feed (and not a very big pie to split up). It will likely be Brissett at QB, the line will still be shaky, and chances are they will be a run first team.

They averaged 200 passing yards a game. Bourne was a quarter of that when he played. JuJu is still there after it was reported he was going to be released. Not sure if that means they had a change of heart, if his knee got healthier, if they didn't want to take on the dead money, or if he is still on his way out.

Douglas got more reps after Bourne, JuJu, Parker, Henry, and Thornton missed some time and were banged up. It's very possible the pecking order could be new WR-Bourne-Osborn-JJSS-Douglas. Flip flop those last two if you want. Not sure how much value there is as the fourth receiver in NE (when they also throw to a RB and a TE). Douglas could start developing and earn more playing time, but he's probably a fringe fantasy option for me.

I think a Deebo trade might sorrow me a bit more if that ends up being the new WR. But if it's a McConkey/Mitchell/Baker, that would look like an amazing opportunity to me. Definitely more of an opening than I was projecting 48 hours ago. The rookie would certainly be the most valuable fantasy asset, but I think Demario would be 2nd and the only live wire from the rest of that group in an offense in need of explosive plays.

@32BeatWriters
"[Demario] Douglas picked right up where he left off, and was one of the top targets of the day for Patriots quarterbacks. For most of practice – including one-on-ones – he was covered by Eagles first-round pick Quinyon Mitchell. Douglas gave Mitchell a ‘welcome to the NFL’ moment in this practice, as the 22nd overall pick struggled to stick with him."

@32BeatWriters
"The only question the coaches should have with DeMario Douglas is whether he can stay healthy as a high-volume receiver. Douglas is the Patriots most dynamic playmaker, by far, with the ability to instantly separate on quick-hitters or break free with dynamic downfield route breaks. Plus, he's a jitterbug as a ball carrier with immense YAC potential. AVP's traditional scheme might not have an early-down role for Pop outside of being a decoy on motions, and you always worry about him taking too many big hits over the middle, but Douglas is a difference-maker."

Thoughts moving forward with Maye being named the starter?
Better than his current rank of WR76 in terms of ppg in 1 PPR leagues. Same thing with Polk (currently WR99). But IMO, no NE WR will come close to being worthy of starting regularly for fantasy purposes this year. The Pats still have no OL, are very poorly coached, have an OC that is in over his head, and will still run the ball as much as they can. They will still be a Bottom 10 passing team.

Have only watched the YouTube highlights of his last couple of games so a handful of plays each time, but what stands out is just how open he seems to get, quite a few of his catches there's nobody within a couple of yards of him. Having had his biggest game (and first NFL TD) in Maye's debut game, there must be a chance he's going to take a few more steps forward.

Andrew Guindon
Back in June, Drake Maye compared DeMario Douglas to current #Colts WR Josh Downs—his favorite target at UNC.

“They do a lot of the same things. You can’t guard them in a phone booth…Twitchy and speed. Those two things you can’t work on. [Douglas] got them both.

During Maye’s junior year, Downs finished his final collegiate season with 1,029 yards and 11 touchdowns on 94 receptions.

Didn’t bid enough for him but not fully convinced given the depth chart. Went for 10-15% faab and that’s quite a bit for a patriots WR but Maye did inject some life in garbage time

5-8, he's vertically challenged at WR
Weighs about 195-200 on that frame, it would seem like he's not easy to get on the ground once he has the ball.

Since Week 3...
9 targets = 7/69
3 targets = 3/13, DUD
9 targets = 6/59
9 targets = 6/92/TD with a rookie QB making his 1st Start

13, Dud, 12 and 21...those are pretty solid WR3/Flex numbers and things might be pointing up with a Jacksonville match up even in London on Sunday Morning
I see him having. a little more upside than say Wan"Dale Robinson who is similar size although not as thick and neither of them is ripping the cover off a defense
Douglas by default could evolve into the No 1 in '24 but his long term prospect at 5-8, eventually the Patriots are going to want a 6 foot 3 type that can high point some catches down field
But for the short term I like him plenty and Maye appears to be targeting him and trusts good things will happen when he throws at Douglas

-Careful here, rookie QB, short WR, an untimely interception could change where Maye keeps targeting his passes, I would just make a mental note of it.
Be prepared for things to change as Maye evolves but for now he found a security blanket

Last edited:
Thoughts moving forward with Maye being named the starter?
Better than his current rank of WR76 in terms of ppg in 1 PPR leagues. Same thing with Polk (currently WR99). But IMO, no NE WR will come close to being worthy of starting regularly for fantasy purposes this year. The Pats still have no OL, are very poorly coached, have an OC that is in over his head, and will still run the ball as much as they can. They will still be a Bottom 10 passing team.
Douglas right now is an easy Top 50 WR so in 12 team leagues where you start 3 WR plus at least 1-flex, Douglas is right in the conversation
Go back the last 3 or 4 games and he easily is outpacing his ranking, the pundits just haven't caught up to him

Agree with you on the OL but a rookie QB that's a little more mobile than Brissett and you might see a few more plays, maybe even some chunk plays at Wide Receiver that we haven't seen since Brady left the team after the 2019 season. I have Douglas as a possible Top 25 rest of the way and I base it partly on the Patriots losing 40-20 some weeks or what I'm saying is I don't see the Patriots winning a lot of football games and garbage time might be Douglas and his GMs best asset in all of this.

I don't know that Douglas will make a great prospect next year, the Patriots would be smart to invest in an impact skill player.
Also need a lot of OL help. Williams and Daniels are covering up some holes on those offenses, Maye could have the same type of impact.
This rookie class of QBs is starting to come out swinging and looks like more than one could be franchise types

-Yes this is the same poster that questioned whether the Patriots should keep drafting QBs as early as next season
Just staying in the moment

Last edited:
Seems like a very solid receiver and has had a nice stretch recently. I'm still concerned that the team is still trying to figure out its pecking order at WR. Boutte just returned and ran the most routes (55), while Polk (43) ran about the same amount of routes as Douglas did (41). Bourne was slightly behind at 34.

To be sure, route running doesn't equate to production, but it's not like Douglas is some alpha that's going to demand targets. He just happens to be doing a better job of getting open, but that can change as others lift their games. And you have to figure Maye will have his struggles as teams start to game plan against him.

Seems like a very solid receiver and has had a nice stretch recently. I'm still concerned that the team is still trying to figure out its pecking order at WR. Boutte just returned and ran the most routes (55), while Polk (43) ran about the same amount of routes as Douglas did (41). Bourne was slightly behind at 34.

To be sure, route running doesn't equate to production, but it's not like Douglas is some alpha that's going to demand targets. He just happens to be doing a better job of getting open, but that can change as others lift their games. And you have to figure Maye will have his struggles as teams start to game plan against him.
Just realized Boutte and Bourne are two different people, was thinking Bourne had a good game but it was Boutte, lol

Just realized Boutte and Bourne are two different people, was thinking Bourne had a good game but it was Boutte, lol
Yeah, one of those guys has to change their names for the fantasy community, if nothing else.

67% and 62% snap count on Offense last 2 weeks, he is the Slot-WR from my research and that likely means he won't be on the field that much when the Patriots are in the red zone or inisde let's say the 5-10 yd line, he's not going to be part of those packages often and he isn't a great RZ target at 5-8.

He still can do some damage between the 20s and out fo the Slot which can either work the middle of the field right in front of Maye
Or they can be broken off and turned into an out/stick route short for Maye as his check down option.

I would also think Hunter Henry is likely going to see an uptick in his production.

Do you start him over PIckens? That is my dilemma. It's a half PPR and that is my dilemma. Douglas has been on the upswing and his targets are good. Pickens not so much. It's hurting my brain...haha

Do you start him over PIckens? That is my dilemma. It's a half PPR and that is my dilemma. Douglas has been on the upswing and his targets are good. Pickens not so much. It's hurting my brain...haha
Feels like such a crazy conversation. But I'd go Douglas.

Jaguars give up the 2nd most FPPG to WR (and #1 most to QB).
Jets rank 29th in FPPG allowed to WR.

Pickens will see a lot of Sauce. Russ isn't super WR friendly these days. Or at least wasn't in Denver. Sutton saw 90 targets their last year together. Jeudy saw 87.

And lastly, this strikes me as one of those potential ugly offense, run the ball and play defense kind of games.

Doesn’t it leave sour taste in your mouth to play him? I mean, he could be great and I would have a hard time getting past that.

Love Pop as depth if in PPR. Less value in standard since I don't see him getting in the end zone much (I'm guessing 3 TD for the season). Caught his first career TD and it was a 35-yarder. Through 20 games played he has a total of 5 career red zone targets.

Doesn’t it leave sour taste in your mouth to play him? I mean, he could be great and I would have a hard time getting past that.
If you have other good options, play other good options. In a perfect world, I'm not excited to play the guy.

But between injuries, byes, and bad QB play (Waddle, Ridley, some others I'm sure), he's not the most sour option.

He's also got a smash matchup vs the Jags defense this week.

Lastly, he's someone who had a significant situational change. While I'm sure Maye will have his ups and downs as a rookie QB, I think he's better for the pass catchers. The upside isn't crazy. But we're talking bye week/injury fill in guys. It's Douglas or Tre Tucker types.

If you have other good options, play other good options. In a perfect world, I'm not excited to play the guy.

But between injuries, byes, and bad QB play (Waddle, Ridley, some others I'm sure), he's not the most sour option.

He's also got a smash matchup vs the Jags defense this week.

Lastly, he's someone who had a significant situational change. While I'm sure Maye will have his ups and downs as a rookie QB, I think he's better for the pass catchers. The upside isn't crazy. But we're talking bye week/injury fill in guys. It's Douglas or Tre Tucker types.
I didn’t say it was wrong, only that it doesn’t feel good. I’m being touchy feely this morning.

Didn't see the Pats game last weekend. Any homers have any insight into whether Pop is going to get #1 volume from Maye moving forward? I feel like he is trending up and the matchup this weekend looks so good. I don't see too many rankings anticipating a "pop" weekend, most have in the the WR30-40 range... but he sure seems like a candidate to put up Top 20 this week. Not quite ready to pull the trigger on playing him over Garrett Wilson (this week), but it's crossed my mind a time or two.

I'm a big fan but realize that last week represented his first TD and highest yardage total in his career, and only once has he caught more than 6 balls in a game. He feels like a WR3/bye week fill in empty calorie PPR play. He always gets you some points but, to date, his ceiling was last week. Maybe Maye changes that, but he has several WRs on the roster that have better pedigrees than Pop

Thoughts on him playing vs Jets? Looks like he might be the #1 Wr with Polk on concussion protocol. Not sure if he or Henry are a better play , Rodgers is hurt which could give NE more opportunities…

Users who are viewing this thread