What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVante Parker, Eagles. (1 Viewer)

The Athletic’s Chad Graff believes DeVante Parker could be a cap casualty if the Patriots sign DeAndre Hopkins.

As Graff notes in his article, Parker has no guaranteed money left on his current contract, meaning the Patriots could release him and save $6.2 million against the cap. As of now, Hopkins doesn’t appear to be in any rush to sign with a team, but the Patriots and Titans have emerged as the only true contenders for his services at this time. Graff did add that Parker made two of the best catches of any receiver during the team’s minicamp, but it’s hard to ignore the replacement-level play Parker has provided throughout most of his career. The former first-round draft pick has just one 1,000-yard season to his name and hasn’t gone for more than 793 yards since 2020. Parker isn’t really on the fantasy radar at this time, but his release would remove almost any chance of him being fantasy relevant in 2023.

The Athletic’s Chad Graff believes DeVante Parker could be a cap casualty if the Patriots sign DeAndre Hopkins.

As Graff notes in his article, Parker has no guaranteed money left on his current contract, meaning the Patriots could release him and save $6.2 million against the cap. As of now, Hopkins doesn’t appear to be in any rush to sign with a team, but the Patriots and Titans have emerged as the only true contenders for his services at this time. Graff did add that Parker made two of the best catches of any receiver during the team’s minicamp, but it’s hard to ignore the replacement-level play Parker has provided throughout most of his career. The former first-round draft pick has just one 1,000-yard season to his name and hasn’t gone for more than 793 yards since 2020. Parker isn’t really on the fantasy radar at this time, but his release would remove almost any chance of him being fantasy relevant in 2023.
It what bizarro world does a team keep JuJu and release Parker !?

I pointed out weeks ago that Parker would probably be the most likely guy to get cut if they decided to release someone (from the WR group). Their cap hit would be zero (and they would gain $6.3M in cap relief). To move on from JuJu at this point, they would eat $16M (both in actual cash guarantees and as a salary cap hit). I wasn't a huge fan when they signed JJSS in the first place, but his lingering injury concerns aren't assuaging my fears that he was a bad signing.

I pointed out weeks ago that Parker would probably be the most likely guy to get cut if they decided to release someone (from the WR group). Their cap hit would be zero (and they would gain $6.3M in cap relief). To move on from JuJu at this point, they would eat $16M (both in actual cash guarantees and as a salary cap hit). I wasn't a huge fan when they signed JJSS in the first place, but his lingering injury concerns aren't assuaging my fears that he was a bad signing.
Agreed. My comments were "eye test" based, with Parker being the eyeball WR1 and JuJu being the eyeball WR2 (or less). I get that Parker has not put together strong seasons, but he torched NE many times as a Dolphin, so I was hoping for some sort of renaissance.

Agreed. My comments were "eye test" based, with Parker being the eyeball WR1 and JuJu being the eyeball WR2 (or less). I get that Parker has not put together strong seasons, but he torched NE many times as a Dolphin, so I was hoping for some sort of renaissance.

Parker is a player who has good name value but the production just isn't there...my guess is it is because he was a first round pick and had that nice season in 2019 when he went for 72-1,202-9 (which was the only year he played in every game)...and the fact he can definitely pass the "eye test" at times...in his 7 other season besides 2019 his best season was 2020 when he went for 63-793-4...overall he has had 4 seasons with 40 or less receptions, 5 seasons with less than 700 yards and he has never had more than 4 TDs in 7 seasons...if the Pats do sign Hopkins I don't think he's a great fit with him and as Anarchy points out his contract makes him very expendable...if they don't sign Hopkins hopefully the Pats can squeeze a few more games from him like last year's Baltimore game because they will need him to contribute with their current depth chart.

Are you kidding me with this? Lol. I’m neutral on the Pats in general, no love or hate, but holy smokes they’ve become one of the absolute dumbest teams in the league when it comes to constructing an offense. This deal is a total joke.

DHop must be out.
Not necessarily. They likely cut Parker's salary for this year and freed up millions in cap room. They didn't really have many WR signed past this year. They still have room and money for Hopkins.
Not to mention the set of Dhop, Juju, and Parker would be the best starting wideout corp they've had in a long long time.

Lol maybe so, but that’s an indictment rather than a compliment. We’ll have to see what Hopkins has left but talk about a lead-footed WR corp.

Got to see details but this seems like one of the more out from left field extensions.

Really need to see if the $14m they are saying is guaranteed is fully guaranteed. Consider me dubious it is. Perhaps this was a way of reducing his cap hit and giving him security in the face of the rumors of him being cut? That makes more sense to me provided their is an out before the full $14m guarantee kicks in.

ESPN’s Mike Reiss reports “more than half” the total value of DeVante Parker’s “three-year, $33 million” extension is tied to incentives.

Reiss also reports “there isn’t a high total of guaranteed money.” It’s hardly a surprise with what seemed to be the fakest contract numbers in recent history. On the wrong side of 30, Parker continued to struggle with injury and ineffectiveness during his first season with the Patriots last year. He did provide a viable down-field threat, however. It would appear the Pats are basically covering their bases in case Parker stays healthy and proves worthy of an extension in 2023. We wouldn’t hold our breath.

There are more details out on Parker's contract, which unfortunately, only confuses things more than before. Per Henry McKenna: It's an extension worth up to $33M with $14M guaranteed. The deal includes $14M guaranteed and $11M in new money (before incentives) in 2023. The contract has fully guaranteed salaries for 2023 ($1.22M) and 2024 ($3.3M). His incentives are tiered for the following categories: receptions, yards, playtime (%) and All-Pro honors. It includes a $4.6M signing bonus.

The problem is, that doesn't explain how there is $14M guaranteed, nor does it add up to $33M. And since it is an extension, I would guess that is across 4 years instead of 3 years (since he has a new salary for 2023 listed). Very unclear still what the deal actually means.

There are more details out on Parker's contract, which unfortunately, only confuses things more than before. Per Henry McKenna: It's an extension worth up to $33M with $14M guaranteed. The deal includes $14M guaranteed and $11M in new money (before incentives) in 2023. The contract has fully guaranteed salaries for 2023 ($1.22M) and 2024 ($3.3M). His incentives are tiered for the following categories: receptions, yards, playtime (%) and All-Pro honors. It includes a $4.6M signing bonus.

The problem is, that doesn't explain how there is $14M guaranteed, nor does it add up to $33M. And since it is an extension, I would guess that is across 4 years instead of 3 years (since he has a new salary for 2023 listed). Very unclear still what the deal actually means.

I expect we will never get the full details and the most likely reason for that is because Davonte Parker's and his agent probably requested strongly from the patriots that the deal not get leaked.

My guess is that the details make it look like Parker did not get that good of deal, which means if word got out about the actual contract he couldn't brag as much to his buddies.

I expect we will never get the full details and the most likely reason for that is because Davonte Parker's and his agent probably requested strongly from the patriots that the deal not get leaked.

My guess is that the details make it look like Parker did not get that good of deal, which means if word got out about the actual contract he couldn't brag as much to his buddies.
All the details will come out eventually, as the contract gets filed with the league and reporting sites like Overthecap and Spotrac will publish them. It will all depend on when NE actually files the updated terms of the contract extension. At some point, they will have to submit it to the league for salary cap reporting and compliance purposes. Once that happens, we will see the terms of the actual deal a few days later.

The details always get out, just takes some time and as of now OTC has not updated the contract.

But there is a difference in guaranteed and fully guaranteed and I posted here earlier that I never thought for a second he got $14m fully guaranteed.

It looks to me like he got $9.12m fully guaranteed, which is more then I thought he'd get. If there are $5m more in guarantees it's not fully guaranteed and probably has language like "if he's on the roster the third day of the new league year in 2025 X amount of his salary is guaranteed". It's kind of an empty guarantee. $9.12 is the real guarantee.

If it's a 4 year deal this should take his cap hit for 2023 down from $6.2m to $2.37M. If it's a 3 year extension then his cap hit should be $2.75m. His cap hit in 2024 should be $4.45M if he did a 4 year extension and $4.83m if a 3 year deal. This is all without factoring in any incentives.

Bottom line if you are NE you went from having a cap hit of $6.2m to keep him this year to now retaining him for the next two seasons for what should be a total cap hit of somewhere in the $7-8M total range with a little dead money hit if they move on. NE's risk is he's not a viable roster player in 2024 and they just committed an extra $3m plus to him to save some cap charge this year.

For Parker his motivation is $9m guaranteed pay as opposed to possibly getting released potentially in late August or September when it's hard to get paid.

The initial reporting of the deal caused a lot of head scratching. As I expected when you really dial into the details it's not so head scratching and as multiple people have reported would not in any way take NE out of pursuing Hopkins.

Of the $33M contract, $14.7M of it is performance incentives, $1.2M is for being named All Pro, $2.9M is for per game roster bonuses. His 2023 and 2024 salaries are guaranteed (total of $4.5M) and he apparently got a $4.6M signing bonus. So it looks like Parker is onboard for this year and next for a guaranteed $9.1M and the rest is all incentives. Not sure where the $14M in guaranteed money that was reported comes from.

Last edited:
32BeatWriters
"(DeVante) Parker has had some of the best catches this summer. On Wednesday, he looked like the Pats best receiver. (He) finished with a camp-high 5 receptions against the Packers. That included a nice TD, where he jumped over the Packers secondary, and back-to-back catches on Rasul Douglas"
Parker looks like a HOFer approximately 2 games out of the season and then the rest of the time usually goes back in hibernation. He seems to be a bad match up for defenses in those big weeks, but the rest of the time he is a JAG.

DeVante Parker (knee) is questionable for Week 1 against the Eagles.

Parker got in three limited practice this week and should be able to play through the knee issue. He will serve as the Patriots’ primary deep threat and run plenty of routes, but the Eagles are famous for how few big plays their defense gives up. Parker may have some deep FLEX value down the road, but Week 1 is not the time to play him.

If there's anyone that is interested (ie, the three people that roster Parker), he returned to practice today and wore a sleeve over his injured left knee. He is listed as questionable and will likely be a GTD. Given that NE plays on Sunday night, not sure people will have other options available to switch to that late in the day. Probably not the best fantasy option, but there's a chance the game could be higher scoring and NE might have to continue to throw the ball a lot.

Last edited:
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Patriots will release WR DeVante Parker.
The move will officially happen on Wednesday, but Parker has already been granted permission to talk to other teams. Though it’s no surprise that the Pats are moving on from Parker after his 33-catch, 394-yard campaign in 2023. The veteran boundary receiver was unable to separate from defenders, command targets at a high clip, or do damage with the ball in his hands. Most of his time in 2023 was spent doing wind sprints. What is more than a bit surprising is the fact that the Patriots signed him to a three-year contract extension last summer. The deal was worth up to $33 million, though much of that was based on incentives that he never earned. One of many wide receiver blunders for the Patriots in recent memory, Parker will be stuck with backup duties on whatever team signs him this offseason.

Users who are viewing this thread