What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVonta Smith, PHI (2 Viewers)

@menobrown I wouldn't say it's one or the other...I realize Mr. Big Chest does have a personality disorder...but does having an existing condition magically shield his brain from the physical trauma that causes CTE? Every NFL player's brain that's ever been examined has had CTE.

@Ilov80s just how you were seemingly turning the conversation into an argument and being more concerned with proving yourself right than participating in dialogue and realizing other view points. If you require vindication, I agree with your assesment that there is not a discrepency between player size and having CTE, and I wouldn't classify CTE as an injury either.

As for Devonta Smith, I am excited about his potential this week. I believe he is being underrated in the weekly rankings that I've seen.
That’s probably fair, it’s personal pet peeve of mine when people try to diagnose other people- especially when they have no professional training to do so and don’t even know the person.

This kid is a heck of a player. He had a couple of solid games. Then AJ Brown had the “discussion” on the sideline with Jalen and then Slim Reaper became a WR3 on his own team.

People who are blaming AJ for lack of Smitty‘s production are ridiculous to be honest….the dude dropped 2 wide open passes and would have had a bigger day. IT is his own doing.

DeVonta Smith (hamstring) expects to play Sunday evening against the Dolphins.

“You ain’t gotta worry bout me,” Smith told the assembled media on Thursday. “I’ll be out there.” Smith has gotten in just one limited practice so far this week, but even that is an accomplishment for a player battling a hamstring issue. Smith will be at heightened risk of re-injury, but at this point it would take an in-practice or pre-game setback to hold him out for the week’s highest-totaled contest. The injury makes Smith more of a boom/bust WR2, but he’s still a WR2.

How about DJ Moore for Smith straight up?
Last year I gave up Godwin for Smith and a used rock (Pitts). Smith finished the year at 15.3 ppg, Godwin 16.1. The main difference was Smith had 3 single point games and Godwin didn't.

I would only trade for Smith if you are eying the playoffs and looking like an inferior team relative to your competitors (meaning you'll need a guy with "pop" games to challenge for a title.

Just traded McLaurin and TE Schultz for WR DeVonta Smith.

Thoughts?
If Dynasty...Love it.

Thoughts?
I like that too, especially if Dynasty.

Thoughts?

I like it in any format

Unfortunately not dynasty, Keeper league but he was a 2nd rounder by this owner and we can only keep 3rds and backwards.

Hate to it happened but the Goeddert injury is probably going to bring more targets and more production Smith's way

Hate to it happened but the Goeddert injury is probably going to bring more targets and more production Smith's way
I was looking at this the other day and it really drives home how the smallest target increase can make a big difference and also how a few points makes the difference between a middling WR3 and borderline WR1/2 fantasy producer.

We of course have a great guide for this using last year's info. 9 full games with Hurts/Goedert and 5 games with Hurts and no Goedert. Excluding the Minshew starts Devonta only increased 1.6 targets a game. put up 12.45 PPR PPG with Goedert, 15.8 without him.

His points per target really did not change, just got the extra 1.6 targets. If all of that held to form, same targets and same increase in PPG he'd score an extra 3.17 PPG points a game this year.

Neither that or the amount of extra targets seem large but in PPG if Devonta takes the same growth as last year he'll go from 13.256 PPG(WR30) to 16.4 PPG (WR13).

DeVonta Smith (knee) did not practice Thursday.

Smith did not practice on Wednesday either. He still has one more day to return to practice as the Eagles don’t play until Monday. If he does miss Week 16, the Eagles would be forced to funnel more short-area targets to Dallas Goedert and D’Andre Swift while also throwing to A.J. Brown as many times as he can handle. Fantasy managers should still leave the light on for Smith as it’s understandable for him to get plenty of rest in practice as the playoffs approach.

DeVonta Smith (knee) did not practice Thursday.

Smith did not practice on Wednesday either. He still has one more day to return to practice as the Eagles don’t play until Monday. If he does miss Week 16, the Eagles would be forced to funnel more short-area targets to Dallas Goedert and D’Andre Swift while also throwing to A.J. Brown as many times as he can handle. Fantasy managers should still leave the light on for Smith as it’s understandable for him to get plenty of rest in practice as the playoffs approach.
Why are we getting the Thursday practice report on Friday afternoon? What happened today?

Any Philly homers out there have an update on Smith. Is this just extra rest so he is good to go on Sunday. As we all know and with a Monday matchup, we need news by Sunday morning in order to keep him in our lineups as we can't take that chance with playoffs on the line.

Any Philly homers out there have an update on Smith. Is this just extra rest so he is good to go on Sunday. As we all know and with a Monday matchup, we need news by Sunday morning in order to keep him in our lineups as we can't take that chance with playoffs on the line.
Most Eagles' beat reporters are pretty useless. I'd play him if he practices on Saturday and sit him if he doesn't.

I can't wait for the day he can play with a QB who is not dialed into throwing to his buddy all day.
You say that like AJ Brown isn't one of the best WRs in the league
I say that like Devonta Smith is
As someone who has him in dynasty, I don't know if I believe but I sure like the the line of thought
He's as productive on a per target basis as AJB but I'm not really trying to get into a debate about who is better. If people want to say Devonta is 1B that's fine but I think he deserves more, he's a better player, then being such a distant second option to such an extent he trails the by 40+ targets this season. This game in particular I thought was an issue because Devonta was hot to start but then Hurts almost completely went away from him after his TD while he was seemingly laser focused on AJB as he seems to be every single week. I think it's actually been an issue for the Eagles this year and I do think I'm able to separate what I want for fantasy from real life and I think Hurts having such a focus on AJB is actually an issue for the team.

You made my post about AJB. I made that post about Devonta Smith being to good to be treated like a distant second, to good to be getting a shade under 7 targets a game.

A lot of people will criticize Arthur Smith for how he uses the skill players he spent top 10 picks to acquire and of course include Drake London. He's actually getting a similar per game target share as Devonta and a much higher target share. Devonta's a better player then some teams distant second, that's my point.

He's a great example of why landing spot matters. Tied at the hip until he's 30 with a QB I don't think is very good for his skill set and will spend a lot of those years as being in the conversation as the best #2WR in the game on his own team. He's solid for fantasy, just a lot better player IMO then his stats might ever be.

He's a great example of why landing spot matters. Tied at the hip until he's 30 with a QB I don't think is very good for his skill set and will spend a lot of those years as being in the conversation as the best #2WR in the game on his own team. He's solid for fantasy, just a lot better player IMO then his stats might ever be.
I kinda go the other way on Smith. I think he's a #2 talent, who would struggle against consistent #1 coverage. Feel the same way about Tee Higgins.

I kinda go the other way on Smith. I think he's a #2 talent, who would struggle against consistent #1 coverage. Feel the same way about Tee Higgins.
We don't agree on a lot of things, this might be the largest gap of disagreement that exists.

We don't agree on a lot of things, this might be the largest gap of disagreement that exists.
I've actually thought we agree like 80-90% of the time, but when we disagree, its sometimes a vast difference. There are certainly bigger ones than this. I like Smith, I think he's a very good WR, top-25 in the NFL, but I also think Philly has been a good spot for him, where he gets to avoid top CBs, and is on a good offense, with a good QB. Could it be better? Of course it could, but it could also be a lot worse.

I've actually thought we agree like 80-90% of the time, but when we disagree, its sometimes a vast difference. There are certainly bigger ones than this. I like Smith, I think he's a very good WR, top-25 in the NFL, but I also think Philly has been a good spot for him, where he gets to avoid top CBs, and is on a good offense, with a good QB. Could it be better? Of course it could, but it could also be a lot worse.
I don't know the odds, seems like a lot of things we don't agree but it's pretty respectful disagreements 99.99% of the time. I've long felt you held some unique positions on players, and true I often don't agree, but I respect that you come to your opinions on your own analysis. Might just seem like we disagree more because of your analysis/opinions on players is sometimes so off the norm, that is just sticks in my head more. But all good, did not mean anything by it and respect your differing viewpoints.

I think he's a #1WR in every way, is getting paid like one, got a glimpse of it in the playoff game that AJB was out which I believe was first time he had a chance to be in that role since his rookie season.

I view Aiyuk, Pickens and Smith as the top 3 most under utilized WR's in the game. Pickens is the one of those that might be mainly on him, can't run enough varied routes., just feel like the Aiyiuk and Smith don't see the ball nearly enough.

But with Devonta I'm less concerned about him being the #1 or if he can do it. It would help him for sure overcome a lot in this offense, volume cures a lot of things, and I think that day will come and we'll be able to put this to the test where he'll be the #1. My guess is it comes as soon as 2025 but perhaps not until 26. That will help his fantasy numbers, improve it on the whole and make him a more consistent lineup option and main reason I'm not out trying to deal him.

But WR1 or not I still don't like the Hurts pairing and the way their contracts are done they might as well be the equivalent of football married. Hurts gets the job done in his own unique way but I still think he's subpar at best at timing and anticipation and reading the whole field and that does not play well to Devonta's skillset. AJB is well suited for Hurts, Devonta not so much IMO. The fact he erupted at end of the 2022 season with Minshew is hard to get out of my head and he's no one's ideal starting QB.

Anyway when Devonta got drafted I thought it was a bad situation because of Hurts and it got me thinking of the importance of talent vs landing spot which is sure to pop into my head next week.

The AJB addition came later, after I had acquired Devonta in a few places and yes I hated to see it and that was something I could not have forecast.. But what the Eagles were doing with Hurts what the Bears did with Fields last year. Give him some more time, but keep tryijng to add draft capital to give them an out or other options. I'll be honeset, I was not planning on it working out for Hurts when I was investing in Devonta. I know the Eagles FO is very anaylitical and deep believers in passing to win and I did not think Hurts would measure up to those standards. Based on multiple reports the Eagles wanted to trade for Wilson but he nixed it, some rumors though a little less credible that Watson did the same. So they kind of tried but I guess it could have been worse, but when I was trying to forecast this out when i was acquring Devonta I just did not think he's be paired with Hurts until what looks like his age 31 season, at least.

I don't know the odds, seems like a lot of things we don't agree but it's pretty respectful disagreements 99.99% of the time. I've long felt you held some unique positions on players, and true I often don't agree, but I respect that you come to your opinions on your own analysis. Might just seem like we disagree more because of your analysis/opinions on players is sometimes so off the norm, that is just sticks in my head more. But all good, did not mean anything by it and respect your differing viewpoints.

I think he's a #1WR in every way, is getting paid like one, got a glimpse of it in the playoff game that AJB was out which I believe was first time he had a chance to be in that role since his rookie season.

I view Aiyuk, Pickens and Smith as the top 3 most under utilized WR's in the game. Pickens is the one of those that might be mainly on him, can't run enough varied routes., just feel like the Aiyiuk and Smith don't see the ball nearly enough.

But with Devonta I'm less concerned about him being the #1 or if he can do it. It would help him for sure overcome a lot in this offense, volume cures a lot of things, and I think that day will come and we'll be able to put this to the test where he'll be the #1. My guess is it comes as soon as 2025 but perhaps not until 26. That will help his fantasy numbers, improve it on the whole and make him a more consistent lineup option and main reason I'm not out trying to deal him.

But WR1 or not I still don't like the Hurts pairing and the way their contracts are done they might as well be the equivalent of football married. Hurts gets the job done in his own unique way but I still think he's subpar at best at timing and anticipation and reading the whole field and that does not play well to Devonta's skillset. AJB is well suited for Hurts, Devonta not so much IMO. The fact he erupted at end of the 2022 season with Minshew is hard to get out of my head and he's no one's ideal starting QB.

Anyway when Devonta got drafted I thought it was a bad situation because of Hurts and it got me thinking of the importance of talent vs landing spot which is sure to pop into my head next week.

The AJB addition came later, after I had acquired Devonta in a few places and yes I hated to see it and that was something I could not have forecast.. But what the Eagles were doing with Hurts what the Bears did with Fields last year. Give him some more time, but keep tryijng to add draft capital to give them an out or other options. I'll be honeset, I was not planning on it working out for Hurts when I was investing in Devonta. I know the Eagles FO is very anaylitical and deep believers in passing to win and I did not think Hurts would measure up to those standards. Based on multiple reports the Eagles wanted to trade for Wilson but he nixed it, some rumors though a little less credible that Watson did the same. So they kind of tried but I guess it could have been worse, but when I was trying to forecast this out when i was acquring Devonta I just did not think he's be paired with Hurts until what looks like his age 31 season, at least.

🎯🎯🎯

But with Devonta I'm less concerned about him being the #1 or if he can do it. It would help him for sure overcome a lot in this offense, volume cures a lot of things, and I think that day will come and we'll be able to put this to the test where he'll be the #1. My guess is it comes as soon as 2025 but perhaps not until 26
Only call I think I got worse then this one over the last few weeks was my predictions on where Penix/Nix would go, but here to accept how bad this call I just made a few days ago turned out.

This bummed me out a little before the draft, just hated seeing it work out this way. It's possible Devonta overtakes AJB before their contracts are done since AJB is a little older but where Devonta is getting paid like A #1WR, AJB is getting paid like an ALPHA #1 WR and that should show itself in the target pecking order for the next few seasons. Plus he still has Hurts, this would all be perfectly ok if someone like Burrow was the QB, this ain't that.

I'm going to start trying to trade Devonta where I can, no fire sales or discounts but if I can get out at fair price I'm taking it. Been holding in hopes he'd be that consistent 130+ target guy without needing an injury to someone, unless Kellen Moore' cooking up a whole new offense it's hard to see now.

Users who are viewing this thread